Author Topic: Democrats seek to woo winnable GOP senators on Supreme Court  (Read 100 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats seek to woo winnable GOP senators on Supreme Court
« on: February 07, 2022, 02:34:55 pm »
Democrats seek to woo winnable GOP senators on Supreme Court
By Jordain Carney - 02/07/22 06:01 AM EST

Within an hour of the news breaking about Justice Stephen Breyer’s intention to retire, GOP Sen. Susan Collins (Maine) got a phone call from Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Dick Durbin (D-Ill.). 

“He called me ...  to assure me that he would make the nominee available to me and that he would provide me with any documents or information that I needed,” Collins told The Hill about Durbin’s outreach, which she graded as “terrific.” 

The White House and top Democrats are working to woo GOP senators, like Collins, as they lay the groundwork for the upcoming Supreme Court fight.

Though Democrats can confirm whoever President Biden nominates without GOP support, if they remain unified, it would be the narrowest margin in history for a Supreme Court nominee and only the second, behind Justice Amy Coney Barrett, to be elected entirely by one party.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/592933-democrats-seek-to-woo-winnable-gop-senators-on-supreme-court
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Re: Democrats seek to woo winnable GOP senators on Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 02:55:01 pm »
They had Lindsey at "Hello".

Offline Kamaji

Re: Democrats seek to woo winnable GOP senators on Supreme Court
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 02:59:12 pm »
It depends on who the nominee is.  If it amounts to a plain-vanilla lib-for-lib swap, then there is not a lot of benefit to be gained, and a lot to be risked, by dying on that hill.