Author Topic: Bulldogs to Dalmatians: Should these 5 ‘cruelest’ dogs to breed be banned?  (Read 673 times)

Offline Kamaji

Bulldogs to Dalmatians: Should these 5 ‘cruelest’ dogs to breed be banned?

By Dusica Sue Malesevic
February 3, 2022

It’s the ASPCA commercial that is hard to watch, and, at one time, avoid: Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” begins and heartrending images of dogs flicker onscreen.

In Norway, the campaign against animal cruelty has taken a different turn with the banning of breeding two types of dogs — Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and bulldogs — due to their numerous health issues.

Breeding the dogs, one of the country’s district courts ruled, was a violation of the Norwegian Animal Welfare Act section 25, and provides a “legal framework” for how cross-breeding could possibly be done.

But Cavalier King Charles spaniels and bulldogs aren’t the only pure-bred puppies with an increased likelihood of inherited diseases.

On the heels of that landmark Monday ruling, below is a look at five types of dogs considered “cruel” to breed for the health issues they face.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/02/03/from-bulldogs-to-dalmatians-the-5-cruelest-dogs-to-breed/

Offline mountaineer

@mystery-ak This one's up your alley.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I have always strongly stated that I thought that the ASPCA was just one level of facist below PETA.  Now they've taken the woke tactic of trying to dictate  what dog breeds we can have.  And BTW to the ASPCA, we got our English Bully as a breeder rescue from a shelter 10 years ago.  So we are guessing she is probably 14 or 15.  So, so much for your bullshit claims. If you know how to manage the breed, it doesn't matter what kind of dog you have.

My dream for our loveable furry friends, is that PETA and ASPCA would be destroyed, and every single dollar wasted with these worthless organizations would go to local shelters.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:13:09 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
@mystery-ak This one's up your alley.

I have purchased all of my bulldogs from the same accredited breeder. That's what I recommend for anyone looking for a bulldog or any pet for that matter. That way the breeders do not pass on genetic
malformations or diseases. Research the breeder!!!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have purchased all of my bulldogs from the same accredited breeder. That's what I recommend for anyone looking for a bulldog or any pet for that matter. That way the breeders do not pass on genetic

Exactly!  German Shepards are on the list because of hip dysplasia, and that happened when dishonest breeders started indiscriminate inbreeding because of the sudden huge demand for the breed.  Everybody wanted a Rin Tin Tin.  Stick with reputable breeders, if one wants a breed.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline rustynail

Popularity destroys breeds. 45 years Dobermans owner/breeder.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Popularity destroys breeds. 45 years Dobermans owner/breeder.
Oh no! Dobies kill their masters don't ya know. Indiscriminate greedy breeders, gangbangers and thugs that breed for aggression, these are the people responsible ruining the perception of many dogs at one time...German Shepherds, Dobies, Rotties, Boxers and of course Pit Bulls known as the Nanny Dog and the one time number one choice for a family dog. And now we are supposed to extinct some breeds because they may have health issues? Why they sound just like the eugenicists that want to eliminate any human that isn't perfect. I think my mother stopped donating to the ASPCA years ago when she found out how little money actually went to help animals, good people they are not.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:47:56 pm by GtHawk »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

My prevous dog was a rescue Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  He was a sweetheart, but he did eventually pass away of congestive heart failure at the age of 12.

At the animal hospital, there was a 5 year old pug that was dying of congestive heart failure.

The vet said that Cavailer breeders were just breeding heart disease.  That's a shame because Cavailers are very loving dogs.

My current dog is a rescue mutt - 1/2 long-haired Chihuahua, 1/8 Cocker Spaniel, remainder = terrier + miscellaneous.  She was on PetFinder as a Cavalier mix puppy, but the DNA test was conslusive - anything but a Cavalier. 

The last thing I wanted was a Chihuahua or a terrier.  It was a reminder from God that He's in charge, not me.  She is very loved and very loving.  I've had to up my energy level to meet hers. 

She is a funsized force of nature with phenomenal intelligence, dexterity, smell, hearing, and sight.  I think there might be some Rat Terrier in there, because she would make for a great varmint hunting dog.  She can see black cats on a cloudy, moonless night from a distance of 1/8 mile.  She can easily spot a rabiit at a distance.

The Cavalier wouldn't take notice of rabbits until we were within a few feet.  The Cavalier liked chasing birds, especially Canada Goose, and, once, four wild turkeys.  I guess one of the things Cavaliers did back in England, was flush game birds from tall grass and low brush.

The Chihuahua mix doesn't have the Irritable Bowel Syndrome issue that the purebred Cavalier had.  No heart issues at 5 years old.

The thing about dog breeds and breeding - that has nothing to do with the dogs, it's peoples' doing.  Breed standards came out of the eugenics movement of 1800s.  The dogs themselves don't know, nor care, what breed they are.  They are happy to love and be loved.

I try to be more like my dog every day.  She's the best person I know.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 08:15:29 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

My prevous dog was a rescue Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.  He was a sweetheart, but he did eventually pass away of congestive heart failure at the age of 12.

At the animal hospital, there was a 5 year old pug that was dying of congestive heart failure.

The vet said that Cavailer breeders were just breeding heart disease.  That's a shame because Cavailers are very loving dogs.

My current dog is a rescue mutt - 1/2 long-haired Chihuahua, 1/8 Cocker Spaniel, remainder = terrier + miscellaneous.  She was on PetFinder as a Cavalier mix puppy, but the DNA test was conslusive - anything but a Cavalier.  The last thing I wanted was a Chihuahua or a terrier.  It was a reminder from God that He's in charge, not me.  She is very loved and very loving.  I've had to up my energy level to meet hers.  She is a funsized force of nature with phenomenal intelligence, dexterity, smell, hearing, and sight.  I think there might be some Rat Terrier in there, because she would make for a great varmint hunting dog.  She can see black cats on a cloudy, moonless night from a distance of 1/8 mile.

She doesn't have the Irritable Bowel Syndrome issue that the purebred Cavalier had.  No heart issues at 5 years old.

The thing about dog breeds and breeding - that has nothing to do with the dogs, it's peoples' doing.  Breed standards came out of the eugenics movement of 1800s.  The dogs themselves don't know, nor care, what breed they are.  They are happy to love and be loved.

I try to be more like my dog every day.  She's the best person I know.

The thing with heart disease in dogs:  one must be very careful if one is feeding one's dog one of these new boutique foods, particularly the dry foods.  If it is a grain-free diet, then there is an increased risk of the dog developing dilated cardiomyopathy.

The d*mned dog food companies are very good at keeping this hushed up, but it is doing damage to dogs.

If one searches, however, one can find articles about it; it's been known about since at least 2018.  One article about it is here:  https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/study-grain-free-diet-for-dogs-leads-to-canine-heart-disease/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Exactly!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The thing with heart disease in dogs:  one must be very careful if one is feeding one's dog one of these new boutique foods, particularly the dry foods.  If it is a grain-free diet, then there is an increased risk of the dog developing dilated cardiomyopathy.

The d*mned dog food companies are very good at keeping this hushed up, but it is doing damage to dogs.

If one searches, however, one can find articles about it; it's been known about since at least 2018.  One article about it is here:  https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/study-grain-free-diet-for-dogs-leads-to-canine-heart-disease/

I need to show this to Mike...he's been buying the grain-free expensive dog food for years...and guess what our male died of an enlarged heart..and just a few weeks ago our female had to be put down...enlarged heart...both 12yrs

Before bulldogs we had pugs...3 of them and they all lived to be 14-16 years old...what did they eat
Purina Dog Chow so go figure.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

I need to show this to Mike...he's been buying the grain-free expensive dog food for years...and guess what our male died of an enlarged heart..and just a few weeks ago our female had to be put down...enlarged heart...both 12yrs

Before bulldogs we had pugs...3 of them and they all lived to be 14-16 years old...what did they eat

Bulldogs are definitely at some risk, but not as high as dogs like Golden Retrievers.

Here is an FDA discussion of the issue, with a list of dog breeds for which cases have been reported:  https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/outbreaks-and-advisories/fda-investigation-potential-link-between-certain-diets-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy

Part of it is that these no-grain diets substitute so-called pulses - seeds of certain legumes - for the grains that would be found in a normal dog food, and these ingredients are linked to the problems.

The article linked above also identifies the boutique food brands that have been associated with cases of this, so you should be able to figure out if you're using a high-risk feed.

You should get the dogs checked out by a vet - they'll have to do an echocardiogram - and if the dogs have enlarged hearts, then switch to a new diet that isn't high in pulses/legumes, start changing up the dog's diet by feeding a blend of dry and wet, some table scraps, etc, and also the vet can prescribe supplements, such as taurine, to help try and reduce the heart dilation and - fingers crossed - if it hasn't gotten too far, the dogs may recover.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Vet once told us that pure meat is best for Bullies.  Our first one lived to 10, and old baby now is about 14. Since told, we have given them raw boneless chicken breasts exclusively, with a few cooked veggies mixed in.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Good to know. I'm hoping to get a dog sometime soon.
My previous dog was a Scottie. I fed her only Science Diet, but then had to give her up when I moved. I heard a year or so later that she died of heart issues.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Vet once told us that pure meat is best for Bullies.  Our first one lived to 10, and old baby now is about 14. Since told, we have given them raw boneless chicken breasts exclusively, with a few cooked veggies mixed in.

The last year of Spike's life I made him chicken and rice....or beef and rice every day....well I made it in large batches to last a week...sometimes I would add chopped carrots..he loved it so much..he was one of the best dogs I ever had...still miss him.
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Good to know. I'm hoping to get a dog sometime soon.
My previous dog was a Scottie. I fed her only Science Diet, but then had to give her up when I moved. I heard a year or so later that she died of heart issues.

My older sister and I saved our money to buy a scottie....$75 back then...lol

her name was Misty Dundee..my mom named her...lol..

Scotties are definitely a one family dog...
Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

My next dog will be a rescue, whether purebred or mixed. My Scottie was a bit too feisty for me!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
My older sister and I saved our money to buy a scottie....$75 back then...lol

her name was Misty Dundee..my mom named her...lol..

Scotties are definitely a one family dog...

I have always wondered:  Who named Spike?  You or Mister Mystery?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
The last year of Spike's life I made him chicken and rice....or beef and rice every day....well I made it in large batches to last a week...sometimes I would add chopped carrots..he loved it so much..he was one of the best dogs I ever had...still miss him.

I know how you feel.  Our old Bully girl is about 14, going blind, and deaf, and I fear her time is not too far in the future.  We dread that day.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
My next dog will be a rescue, whether purebred or mixed. My Scottie was a bit too feisty for me!

This is a great place to find one.  We got our last 2 rescues (English Bulldogs in 2007 and 2012) from this site that nextworks with most of the shelters in the country. Easy to search with.

https://www.petfinder.com

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I have always wondered:  Who named Spike?  You or Mister Mystery?

It wasn't me...I hated that name...Mike did it.... :shrug:
Support the USO