Author Topic: Remote learning led to rampant cheating at NYC’s Stuyvesant High School  (Read 339 times)

Offline Kamaji

Remote learning led to rampant cheating at NYC’s Stuyvesant High School

By Selim Algar
February 1, 2022

Stuyvesant High School students cheated at an elite level during remote learning.

Remote learning led to routine cheating at the city’s most competitive high school, where 79 percent of last year’s senior class copped to academic dishonesty at some point, according to a report.

A 2021 Stuyvesant graduate told The Post that working from home simply made it too tempting to cheat.

“What was there to stop you from just looking up an answer?” she asked. “You were on your own, there was no one watching. It’s kind of obvious.”

In interviews with Stuyvesant High School’s newspaper, The Spectator, students said distance learning made cutting corners a breeze.

“A lot of people didn’t actually learn as much last year because of how easy it was to cheat on things, which is sort of sad,” a sophomore told the paper.

A Stuyvesant senior said distance learning relied on student conscience to suppress scholastic skullduggery.

“Remote learning changed the playing field,” the student said. “It was closer to [an] honor system, so I felt that most people were more likely to push the rules a bit.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/remote-learning-bred-rampant-cheating-at-nycs-stuyvesant-high-school/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Remote learning led to rampant cheating at NYC’s Stuyvesant High School
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 01:05:34 pm »
That's as much a sad commentary on the students themselves as it is on the state of the schools and the education system.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 01:25:21 pm »
That's as much a sad commentary on the students themselves as it is on the state of the schools and the education system.
In a Bisarro world where President stole the election, plagiarized speeches, lies incontinently, where thieves get off scott free, what is the object lesson?

"If you are honest, you're a sucka!"

I don't believe that, and I seriously doubt many who frequent these pages do, but where is the incentive to be honest, to have integrity or a sense of honor, or the shame in not doing so?
You won't find it in most media (they lie, too), and if the kids don't go to church, they aren't getting it there, so it falls back on parents and teachers who often fall short in the integrity department themselves.

Hypocrisy is not a good teacher.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 01:31:48 pm »
Meanwhile in Baltimore, 80% of the seniors can't read at a 2nd grade level.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 01:33:31 pm »
Meanwhile in Baltimore, 80% of the seniors can't read at a 2nd grade level.
That's one way to keep them from cheating!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 01:38:06 pm »
That's one way to keep them from cheating!

:silly: