Author Topic: Almost 400 drivers join employment rights legal battle against Amazon  (Read 201 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
MSN News by  Simon Murphy 1/30/2022

Nearly 400 drivers who have delivered parcels for Amazon have joined a legal battle seeking compensation from the internet retail giant over employment rights, The Independent can reveal.

Legal firm Leigh Day launched a claim on behalf of one driver just months ago – but the number who have signed up to take action has now swelled to 392.

Drivers who distribute goods to addresses for Amazon via “delivery service partner” firms are classed as self-employed, denying them employee rights such as the minimum wage and holiday pay.

One driver involved in the legal action disclosed how he endured gruelling shifts delivering up to around 300 packages a day and faced more than a month off work without pay when he fell ill. He accused Amazon of treating drivers as “slaves”, urging it instead to recognise them as employees.

Leigh Day believes at least 3,000 drivers could be entitled to an average of £10,500 in compensation for each year they have delivered parcels for the firm founded by billionaire Jeff Bezos – meaning Amazon might have to pay out millions of pounds.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/almost-400-drivers-join-employment-rights-legal-battle-against-amazon/ar-AATi1O5?ocid=Huawei&appid=hwbrowser&ctype=news

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Re: Almost 400 drivers join employment rights legal battle against Amazon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:37:33 am »
 :bkmk:  People are starting to push back and rightfully so.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.