Author Topic: AOC’s bizarre tweet about her Girl Scout troop recreating the Challenger space shuttle tragedy goes  (Read 346 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Daily Dot by Mikael Thalen 1/28/2022

AOC’s bizarre tweet about her Girl Scout troop recreating the Challenger space shuttle tragedy goes reviral

AOC claimed, among others things, to have recreated the deadly space shuttle Challenger disaster.

An old tweet from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is confusing Twitter users once again after suddenly going viral this week.

The tweet, which surrounds the politician’s positive views on the Girl Scouts of the USA, included what many felt were several bizarre claims regarding the organization.

Ocasio-Cortez, who made the tweet in March 2019, credited the group with allegedly teaching her numerous things including how to change “brake fluid” and how to “recreate the NASA Challenger mission.”

“.@girlscouts is how I first practiced how to change brake fluid, start a fire, practice self-defense, recreate the NASA Challenger mission, and v importantly: learn to teach myself new skills + navigate ambiguity,” she wrote. “There’s a reason a large of Congresswomen are former scouts!”

More: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-challenger-brake-fluid-tweet/

Online mountaineer

I was a Girl Scout for barely a year or two, a long time ago, but we sure as heck didn't learn anything about car maintenance.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
AOC was born three yeas after the Challenger disaster, Girl Scouts, not Brownies start at age 9 so for some reason she says her troop recreated the Challenger Disaster 12 years after it happened. Now that's pretty bizarre if you ask me , not they commemorated it like on an anniversary but recreated it. I wonder what they did set off an explosion and pretend to be falling to their deaths? And also learned to change brake fluid, why? Even if I believed her upper middle class troop was taught car maintenance why brake fluid, it's not like it's a routine maintenance item. Sounds like AOC be spreading donkey turds again.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I was a Girl Scout for barely a year or two, a long time ago, but we sure as heck didn't learn anything about car maintenance.
Neither did she, from the sounds of things.

If I was going to teach about cars, I'd start with checking fluids and changing oil.

It's good to bleed the brake system through completely when you do a brake job, (change the brake fluid, too), but that isn't something most can do, or that is done often, so that would be of limited utility to the average person.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
AOC was born three yeas after the Challenger disaster, Girl Scouts, not Brownies start at age 9 so for some reason she says her troop recreated the Challenger Disaster 12 years after it happened. Now that's pretty bizarre if you ask me , not they commemorated it like on an anniversary but recreated it. I wonder what they did set off an explosion and pretend to be falling to their deaths? And also learned to change brake fluid, why? Even if I believed her upper middle class troop was taught car maintenance why brake fluid, it's not like it's a routine maintenance item. Sounds like AOC be spreading donkey turds again.
Yep. Did they strap a bomb to their butts, set it off and jump off a bridge?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Yep. Did they strap a bomb to their butts, set it off and jump off a bridge?

A missle around AOC's privates?  Shit, she'd probably like that.    :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline The_Reader_David

There are enough stupid things that come out of AOC's mouth and keyboard-fingers that our side should not be making them up.  She didn't write about recreating the Challenger disaster, she wrote about recreating its mission, which could perfectly well be understood as its assigned mission, which the disaster prevented from being carried out (this would be silly enough, a lame simulation of a space mission carried out in some public meeting hall or church basement -- the sort of thing Girl Scout troops do -- but not exactly something for which we should be adding baseless derision of AOC on top of all the well-deserved derision her tweets and public statements earn her).

As a complete aside, learning about how to recreate the Challenger disaster would probably be a good description for a lesson on using Powerpoint:  Edward Tufte of Yale University argues persuasively in a charming little book entitled The Congitive Style of Powerpoint that the likely failure of the O-rings was mentioned in engineering slide presentations before the disaster, but was buried so deeply in the enforced bullet-point structure that it was ignored, since the information in the higher levels seemed to suggest everything was good.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.