Author Topic: LCS Little Rock temporarily lost power during sea trials, returned to Mayport  (Read 167 times)

rangerrebew

LCS Little Rock temporarily lost power during sea trials, returned to Mayport
By Megan Eckstein
 Jan 27, 07:52 PM

WASHINGTON — Littoral combat ship Little Rock lost power while operating at sea and had to return to port on Jan. 22, according to a Navy spokesman.

The four-year-old LCS was conducting sea trials following a 19-month maintenance period in the dry dock at BAE Systems Shipyard in Jacksonville, Fla. The ship departed Naval Station Mayport on Jan. 21 for the contractor’s trials, LCS Squadron 2 spokesman Lt. Anthony Junco told Defense News.

During the operations at sea, the ship temporarily lost power.

“While conducting operations, engineering malfunctions were identified that resulted in a temporary loss of power, and the decision was made for the ship to return to Naval Station Mayport on Jan. 22, under its own power,” Junco said in a statement.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/01/27/lcs-little-rock-temporarily-lost-power-during-sea-trials-returned-to-mayport/

rangerrebew

Better now than in combat! :yowsa: :yowsa:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Better now than in combat! :yowsa: :yowsa:
I agree.

While the definition of a boat/ship is "a hole in  the water you pour money into", the whole class of vessels seems inordinately beset with problems that might prove terminal in combat. Loss of power/propulsion not the least of these.

Lately, that seems to be the hallmark of American Naval construction, and I wonder if the problems are design, execution of that design, or a combination of those.

At some point, especially if we get in a conflict with a top tier adversary, that crap has to be cleaned up, pronto.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
They shouldn't launch one more of these things, and the ones that are in production should be cancelled, and scrapped.