Author Topic: Potential Twist: Breyer Wants Supreme Court Successor Confirmed Before Retirement Takes Effect  (Read 1547 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

What I meant was that I see no impediment to his replacement being nominated and confirmed prior to the time that he in fact leaves the bench.  The replacement would not, of course, assume any judicial duties until that time, but the Constitution does not appear to require that the seat in fact be vacant prior to the time the president nominates a replacement, or prior to the time the Senate holds a confirmation vote.
So you are saying that a President and a Senate of the same party that has the votes can line up say, 15 nominations and confirmations for the next SC positions so they can be tucked away and used when positions are available?

I think not.  That would be wrecking the Constitution and the principles upon which it was written.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 02:16:35 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
If a Supreme Court Nominee is confirmed Before Breyer Retires, then at that point we have Ten Supreme Court Justices. Now after this point, when Breyer retires  another nominee would be required to replace him and we would continue to have Ten Justices.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If a Supreme Court Nominee is confirmed Before Breyer Retires, then at that point we have Ten Supreme Court Justices. Now after this point, when Breyer retires  another nominee would be required to replace him and we would continue to have Ten Justices.
Yep, and contrary to the law.

It's back door court packing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis