Author Topic: BREAKING..... Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire, giving Biden a chance to nominate a re  (Read 4071 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire, giving Biden a chance to nominate a replacement
Published Wed, Jan 26 202211:56 AM ESTUpdated 3 Min Ago
Kevin Breuninger
@KevinWilliamB

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring, NBC News reported, giving President Joe Biden a crucial opportunity to replace the liberal justice.

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring, NBC News reported Wednesday, giving President Joe Biden a crucial opportunity to replace the liberal justice.

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.

more
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/26/supreme-court-justice-stephen-breyer-to-retire-giving-biden-a-chance-to-nominate-a-replacement.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:40:07 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wonder if Schumer will argue no one should appoint a justice in an election year.   88devil

Offline Kamaji

Ok, so a liberal-for-liberal swap.

One wonders who he'll pick; he did such a sterling job of picking a VP based on skin color and gender, no doubt he'll use the same criteria for the S.C. nominee.

One also hopes that the GOP will have the cojones to hold the SOB nominee's feet to the proverbial fire.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If played right this could drag out confirmation for sometime.   Less chance of the ratbastards from sneaking in baby BBB crap.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

Biden said it has to be a black woman.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

One way to dump Heels-up Harris.  Get her on the SC and Install Killery as VP.

Offline Kamaji

Objectively, or just someone who self-identifies as a black woman?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

That's racist...Affirmation Action at the highest level
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:39:49 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
They will need 60 votes....McConnell better step up and do his job
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

They will need 60 votes....McConnell better step up and do his job

I don't believe they will, not after the 60-vote rule was nuked for Gorsuch.

And quite honestly, I believe that ultimately we have to give this one to them.  It's a lib-for-lib swap, so it won't substantially upset the ideological balance on the Court, so trying to deny any nominees at all will simply be a bridge too far.

Instead, we have to hold the nominee's toes to the fire, make sure they're fully vetted, and avoid any blatantly obvious radicals.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:38:56 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Greg Pollowitz
@GPollowitz
·
1m
McConnell should say he will block all Senate business unless he gets a say on Breyer's replacement.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 05:38:37 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I don't believe they will, not after the 60-vote rule was nuked for Gorsuch.

And quite honestly, I believe that ultimately we have to give this one to them.  It's a lib-for-lib swap, so it won't substantially upset the ideological balance on the Court, so trying to deny any nominees at all will simply be a bridge too far.

Instead, we have to hold the nominee's toes to the fire, make sure they're fully vetted, and avoid any blatantly obvious radicals.

Yikes...sorry I forgot about the Gorsuch vote...
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

Yikes...sorry I forgot about the Gorsuch vote...

That's the thing about forcing through changes like that - they eventually give rise to consequences one is tempted to regret.

In this case, however, I don't think that it's cause for regret because we're swapping a liberal for a liberal.

What would be catastrophic would be for Thomas' seat to open up while the libs/progs control the White House and the Senate.  I recognize that Thomas is a conservative anchor on the Court, but it might have been advisable for him to have retired in time for Trump to have nominated his replacement, and for McConnell to have shepherded the nominee through the Senate.  As it is, we will have to pray to God that a lot of moving parts come out just right - that Thomas survives until the next Republican president, and at a time when the Republicans also control the Senate, all of which means he has to stay on the bench until at least early 2025.

I pray to God that it works out alright.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kamala Harris Could Become First Black Female Supreme Court Justice

Vice President Kamala Harris could be appointed as the first black and female Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, following news Wednesday that liberal Justice Stephen Breyer is to retire, allowing President Joe Biden to appoint a successor.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/01/26/kamala-harris-could-become-first-black-female-supreme-court-justice/
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

I highly doubt Kameltoes will be nominated to the S.C.

Offline rustynail

It's down to Stacy or Whoopie.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My fear it will be Stacey Abrams
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This news is sucking the air out of Ukraine/Russia standoff...
Support the USO

Offline Wingnut

I highly doubt Kameltoes will be nominated to the S.C.

Joe Love her long time.   

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer vows to vote on Biden Supreme Court pick with 'all deliberate speed'

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that Democrats will take up a replacement for Supreme Court Justice Stepehen Breyer, who is expected to retire at the end of the current term, with "all deliberate speed." 

“President Biden’s nominee will receive a prompt hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee and will be considered and confirmed by the full United States Senate with all deliberate speed," Schumer said in a statement. 

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Il.), Schumer's No. 2 and the Judiciary Committee chairman, added that he looked "forward to moving the President’s nominee expeditiously through the Committee.” 

NBC News first reported on Wednesday that Breyer, 83, will retire at the end of the Supreme Court's current term. The court typically recesses in late June or early July. 

The decision gives President Biden a chance to fill a seat on the Supreme Court ahead of the November midterm election, where Republicans are feeling increasingly bullish about their chance of flipping the House and potentially the Senate. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/591466-schumer-vows-to-vote-on-biden-supreme-court-pick-with-all-deliberate-speed
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

What about the possibility that the may re-nominate Garland for the seat?

Wag the Poso
@JackPosobiec

I don't know who needs to hear this but Breyer announcing retirement means Dems know they are losing the Senate this year

12:32 PM · Jan 26, 2022·Twitter Web App

This news is sucking the air out of Ukraine/Russia standoff...

I know .... and I don't understand what the big deal is.  It's not like Puddin' Brain is replacing a conservative.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What about the possibility that the may re-nominate Garland for the seat?

That thought crossed my mind too!
Support the USO

Any mention of transgender?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 06:42:10 pm by mystery-ak »