Author Topic: Is the market crashing? No.  (Read 887 times)

Online libertybele

Is the market crashing? No.
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:15:21 pm »
Is the market crashing? No.
Here’s what’s happening to stocks, bonds as the Fed aims to end the days of easy money, analysts say

As the stock market has convulsed lower and yields for bonds have surged in recent weeks, culminating in a so-called correction for the Nasdaq Composite Index, average Americans are wondering what’s amiss with Wall Street.

Increasingly, Google searches have been focused on the state of the market (and the economy), and for a good reason.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA, -2.99% just posted its worst weekly loss since October 2020 and the S&P 500 SPX, -3.70% and Nasdaq Composite COMP, -4.54% logged their worst weekly percentage drops since March 20, 2020, according to Dow Jones Market Data shows.

Read: The Federal Reserve’s first meeting of 2022 looms as risk of inflation outside of policy makers’ control builds

Searches on Google featured the following popular queries: “Is the market crashing?” And “why is the market crashing?”
What is a market crash?

To be sure, the market isn’t crashing inasmuch as the term “crashing” is even a quantifiable market condition. Declines in stocks and other assets are sometimes described in hyperbolic terms that offer little real substance about the significance of the move.

There is no precise definition for a “crash” but it is usually described in terms of time, suddenness, and/or by severity.

Jay Hatfield, chief investment officer at Infrastructure Capital Management, on Saturday told MarketWatch that he might characterize a crash as a decline in an asset of at least 50%, which could happen swiftly or over a year, but acknowledged that the term is sometimes used too loosely to describe run-of-the-mill downturns. He saw bitcoin’s BTCUSD, -3.10% move as a crash, for example.

He said the overall equity market’s current slump didn’t meet his crash definition, in any regard, but did say stocks were in a fragile state. ..................

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is-the-market-crashing-no-heres-whats-happening-to-stocks-bonds-as-the-fed-aims-to-end-the-days-of-easy-money-analysts-say-11642892638?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Is the market crashing? No.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 06:19:44 pm »
I'm surprised after the Fed cut off the funny money for pumping up the market that it is doing so well.

We really needed to let some air out of the tires. We are at a healthy and needed 10% correction. If it went down another 10-15% I wouldn't be worried.
The Republic is lost.

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 06:22:55 pm »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:32:03 pm »
I'm surprised after the Fed cut off the funny money for pumping up the market that it is doing so well.

We really needed to let some air out of the tires. We are at a healthy and needed 10% correction. If it went down another 10-15% I wouldn't be worried.

Correct.  10% is a "correction," not a "crash."  By the end of this trading day, it will be down about 10% from the all-time high.  The Dow toyed with a 1,000 point fall from Friday's close for a few minutes, now it's down by 800 or so.  Still 2 1/2 hours from the mercy close.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:32:08 pm »
^VIX is kinda high ...

CBOE Volatility Index (^VIX)
35.63+6.78 (+23.50%)
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:38:54 pm »
Let "the market" collapse.
15, 20,000 points, just like that.

It will put an end to "inflation"... quickly.

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 11:44:50 pm »
Correct.  10% is a "correction," not a "crash."  By the end of this trading day, it will be down about 10% from the all-time high.  The Dow toyed with a 1,000 point fall from Friday's close for a few minutes, now it's down by 800 or so.  Still 2 1/2 hours from the mercy close.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Inflation is continuing to rise, store shelves are empty, perhaps we'll be at war, gas prices are climbing .... all by design.  Who knows what variant they'll inflict on us next.

I think we're heading for a Great Depression; greater than then one in 1929.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:03:45 am »
We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Inflation is continuing to rise, store shelves are empty, perhaps we'll be at war, gas prices are climbing .... all by design.  Who knows what variant they'll inflict on us next.

LOL.  The DJIA closed up a hundred points today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 12:10:42 am »
PPT Rescues S&P From Worst-Ever Start To A Year; Rate-Hike Odds Tumble

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ppt-rescues-sp-worst-ever-start-year-rate-hike-odds-tumble

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 03:14:14 pm »
Correction is here in earnest.  I'm told that hard assets and value stocks are more attractive, until the rest of the froth blows away. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 03:26:43 pm »
OMFG I just want to jack slap some of these psychotic wannabe pundits. Since the covid lows we are up more than double. Since Jan '21 to '22 we were up about 30% at the peak.

These people are unstable banshee wailing nutjobs. Learn to read a freakin' chart already and know when to get out at a major top.

It simply is not realistic to think the market should be having these kind of returns that just go on and on...
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 10:12:28 pm »
OMFG I just want to jack slap some of these psychotic wannabe pundits. Since the covid lows we are up more than double. Since Jan '21 to '22 we were up about 30% at the peak.

These people are unstable banshee wailing nutjobs. Learn to read a freakin' chart already and know when to get out at a major top.

It simply is not realistic to think the market should be having these kind of returns that just go on and on...

I'm sitting on the sidelines currently waiting for the bottom (down 25-30%) I may get back in at that point.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 01:55:27 am »

The freakish rises are mostly the tech stocks, not the rest of the market.  Netflix which just lost 28% of its value last week is an example. 

We have seen these tech bubbles before and this one is likely to be considerably harder due to the present height of tech stocks and the rise of the unsophisticated investors who use Robinhood and the like and believe the certainty of continued growth and not reality.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 02:22:23 am »
The freakish rises are mostly the tech stocks, not the rest of the market.  Netflix which just lost 28% of its value last week is an example. 

We have seen these tech bubbles before and this one is likely to be considerably harder due to the present height of tech stocks and the rise of the unsophisticated investors who use Robinhood and the like and believe the certainty of continued growth and not reality.

The very first tech bubble if I recall correctly coincided with a rise in property and housing values before it burst.  The dramatic rise in property and housing values are happening in several states throughout the country.

I think it's just a matter of time before this bubble bursts; sooner rather than later.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 01:09:48 pm »
^VIX is kinda high ...

CBOE Volatility Index (^VIX)
35.63+6.78 (+23.50%)

Was in the 70's during the Mar. '20 correction.

And hate be a broken record, but  highly inflationary economy's markets often go up just to keep up with said incremental inflation.

The enevitable dystopian end game?  A few years ago, I laid odds at 50/50 of market crash like or worse than '29 versus  a Weimar Republic  type hyperinflationary event.

Now, I am leaning 65/35 toward hyperinflation.  Especially if the Chicom/Russians are successful in decoupling the world's currencies to the USD.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 01:18:44 pm »
I'm sitting on the sidelines currently waiting for the bottom (down 25-30%) I may get back in at that point.

I'd say that pretty much 55% of my equity portfolio is strong defensive positions.  And I have no plans to add to them.

It's going to take more like a 50% correction to really peak my interest.  But like I said in my last post....  We may never see that, as our money may become worth less than the paper it is printed on.  A 1 Million DJIA means nothing, if bread costs $500 a loaf.

In either scenario, We will see our country truly become the largest 3rd world nation on the planet.  And the imbecilles who have run this country the past 40 years will have been responsible, and hopefully held to account. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 01:20:14 pm »
The very first tech bubble if I recall correctly coincided with a rise in property and housing values before it burst.  The dramatic rise in property and housing values are happening in several states throughout the country.

I think it's just a matter of time before this bubble bursts; sooner rather than later.

Fully concur, but that bubble also might be in the stripes of runaway inflation. Don't be shocked if we see land, silver, and gold governmental confiscation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:21:18 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 01:49:12 pm »
I'd say that pretty much 55% of my equity portfolio is strong defensive positions.  And I have no plans to add to them.

It's going to take more like a 50% correction to really peak my interest.  But like I said in my last post....  We may never see that, as our money may become worth less than the paper it is printed on.  A 1 Million DJIA means nothing, if bread costs $500 a loaf.

In either scenario, We will see our country truly become the largest 3rd world nation on the planet.  And the imbecilles who have run this country the past 40 years will have been responsible, and hopefully held to account.
Mine is about 60% held in cash, ST bonds and TIPS, and strong Defensive stocks, mostly Dividend Aristocrats.  Have been selling off to get into the position the weaker stocks and longer-term bonds.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 01:59:09 pm »
Mine is about 60% held in cash, ST bonds and TIPS, and strong Defensive stocks, mostly Dividend Aristocrats.  Have been selling off to get into the position the weaker stocks and longer-term bonds.

Good plan.  If there is one bright spot in the pending financial disaster, it will be watching Tech titans jumping out of the 10th story windows.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2022, 01:59:21 pm »
 :bkmk:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2022, 02:03:11 pm »
Dow futures jump as Microsoft leads, Fed decision on tap
Fed Chairman Powell will hold his press conference at 2:30 pm ET.
Fox News, Jan 26, 2022

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/stock-futures-microsoft-fed-decision-inflation-rate-olicy-statements

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 02:12:09 pm »

@libertybele

Well,that IS a proven method of getting people to stand in bread lines and get used to be totally dependent on the goobermint.

Not that *I* think the goobermint would stoop so low,mind you.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!