Author Topic: Across the Muslim World, Islamism is Going out of Vogue  (Read 492 times)

Offline Kamaji

Across the Muslim World, Islamism is Going out of Vogue
« on: January 24, 2022, 07:52:04 pm »
Across the Muslim World, Islamism is Going out of Vogue

Imran Said
21 Jan 2022

Though the Taliban has once again taken power in Afghanistan, they have come back at a rather inopportune time. Across the Muslim world, many seem to be souring on Islamists, defined as those who derive legitimacy from Islam and advocate for modern states to be governed along Islamic precepts, both economically and judicially. Over the last few years, Islamist governments have fallen out of power across the Middle East and Africa, haemorrhaged support in Turkey, and failed to make headway in Southeast Asia.

Islamism was once seen as an unstoppable force throughout most of the Muslim world, its proponents representing the most organized and influential voices in opposition to the often corrupt and incompetent secular leadership of Muslim countries. In more authoritarian states, mosques regularly served as one of the few “safe spaces” for citizens to vent their disenchantment about the state of society, ensuring the institutions of Islam a prominent place in the larger anti-statist opposition. Many Islamist groups further amass popular support by filling the gap left behind by woefully inadequate welfare systems and, in turn, providing their own social services, including schools and hospitals.

The issue is that once Islamists manage to get themselves into power, they frequently prove incapable of delivering on their promises. Islamist governments have often been, at best, incompetent and out-of-touch (as has been the case in the Arab world) and at worst, economically disastrous (as has been the case in Turkey and Sudan). In the more consolidated democracies of Malaysia and Indonesia, Islamist movements are fractious and riven by internal divisions and overly ambitious leaders. The Taliban may be back, but it would be a mistake to overstate the power of Islamist movements around the world.

Islamists' Woeful Governance in the Middle East and North Africa

The failure of Islamists to bring about change and effective governance was brought vividly to the fore with the fall of the moderate Islamist party Ennahda in Tunisia on July 25th, 2021, after Tunisian President Kais Saied invoked emergency powers to fire the prime minister and suspend parliament (in which Ennahda had been the largest party). The fall of the Islamist government was largely supported by the public. Just a day prior to Saied’s suspension of parliament, the country had been gripped by anti-government protests demanding the dissolution of parliament, with groups in the cities of Kairouan and Sousse storming local Ennahda offices and tearing down banners. In the city of Tozeur, a party headquarters was set ablaze.

Source:  https://quillette.com/2022/01/21/in-the-muslim-world-islamism-is-going-out-of-vogue/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Across the Muslim World, Islamism is Going out of Vogue
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:53:33 pm »
 :whistle: past the graveyard.

(BTW, I appreciate the Quillette articles.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:55:22 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 08:56:49 pm »
So Islamists are the Ivy League limousine liberal elitists of the Middle East and North Africa?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 09:13:04 pm »
Islamists are demonstrating that they can't fulfill the promises they've made.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 09:13:57 pm »

Don’t overstate the power of Islamists

This isn’t to say that Islamism as a movement has completely subsided within the Muslim world. Not at all. In many countries, Islamist parties remain powerful, well organized, and with great mobilization capabilities. In cases such as Turkey or Sudan, it is too early to tell whether the Islamists have been truly beaten, as they may very well cling onto power. The innate conservatism of many Muslim countries will no doubt ensure Islam a prominent role in their political dynamics going forward. As well, in the cases of countries like Malaysia and Indonesia, the Islamization phenomenon has often occurred more at an institutional level (such as the education system) rather than through the electoral success of Islamist parties.

However, it would be a mistake to exaggerate the power of Islamists or to presume that political Islam is some sort of unstoppable force in the Muslim world. In Tunisia, Turkey, and Malaysia, Islamist parties ultimately proved incapable of enacting promised changes or providing material prosperity, souring their support base by failing to meet their constituents' expectations and by (in some cases) attempting to shift towards political pragmatism (e.g., Ennahda in Tunisia).

Islamism as an ideology may be great at mobilizing people, but this doesn’t necessarily translate towards effective governance, as has been proven again and again. In the more consolidated democracies of Malaysia and Indonesia, Islamist movements often remain divided.

Nor should we presume that Islamists don’t face pushback. In Tunisia, the large secular segment of the population forced Ennahda to moderate their positions, while Indonesia’s pluralism and powerful civil society have likewise kept Islamism at bay.

Over the last decades, the failure of secular authoritarian strongmen throughout the Muslim world to provide good governance and meet the material expectations of their peoples doomed their regimes and saw their eventual replacement with Islamists. And yet, having been unable to deliver as well, Islamists’ brief taste of power may very well be coming to a close.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 10:25:04 pm »
Islam has had many centuries to apply their will on the world, so some natural force is stopping them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 10:33:56 pm »
Islam has had many centuries to apply their will on the world, so some natural force is stopping them.

Mostly, human nature, as the article implies.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 10:54:28 pm »

I don't expect to see Miniskirts and go-go boots return to Tehran or Kabul in my lifetime.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 10:55:35 pm »
I don't expect to see Miniskirts and go-go boots return to Tehran or Kabul in my lifetime.

Can I vote for stark naked?  I think I can live with that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:00 pm »
Can I vote for stark naked?  I think I can live with that.

Just the small dicked Taliban. 

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:21 pm »

Depending on your actuarial lifetime, that may, or may not, be an unreasonable expectation.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 11:03:31 pm »
Depending on your actuarial lifetime, that may, or may not, be an unreasonable expectation.

Looking at actuarial tables, and my family history... I should have 25 to 30 years left above ground.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 11:46:08 pm »
Looking at actuarial tables, and my family history... I should have 25 to 30 years left above ground.

Dittos.  Mom and Dad lived into their 90's.  I'm a mean SOB too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 11:57:06 pm »
Dittos.  Mom and Dad lived into their 90's.  I'm a mean SOB too.

That is a plus.  Being Ornery is the key longevity. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 01:05:00 am »
I'd like to believe the premise of this piece.
But... I don't.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 01:37:10 am »
I'd like to believe the premise of this piece.
But... I don't.

You are a wise man of the railroads.  Respect always.
I will NOT comply.