Author Topic: ‘Bored’ Grandma Turns The Tables On Phone Scammer  (Read 575 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
‘Bored’ Grandma Turns The Tables On Phone Scammer
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:17:49 pm »
NBC News 1/22/22

A Long Island woman received a scam call that her grandson was in a drunken car crash. She notified the police, who helped tackle the fraudster when he showed up demanding money.»

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9orPiY2sO_k&t=67s

Cyber Note:  I removed the blatant advertisement for NBC leftist crap.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 10:18:48 pm by Cyber Liberty »

Offline Kamaji

Re: ‘Bored’ Grandma Turns The Tables On Phone Scammer
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:22:51 pm »
Cool!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 02:47:49 pm »
Love it.....

I have a way I like to deal with all the scammers....   Here is a rough script of what I use.

After they make their pitch.  I say the following:

Hello... 

Before moving forward, I am required to inform you that this call is being reviewed and traced by a state of the art Conispie Model 375-B device.  This disclosure is  in accordance with FTC rules 16 CFR 14.478 (c) and Interpol statutes under Subset Article 55.  Furthermore this call is sanctioned by the Reserve Bank of India.   

Therefore, I am requesting that you please remain on the line for another 2 minutes and 43 seconds.

My script would count it down, but no caller has stayed on more than 5 seconds.....    :silly:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:09:57 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:50:32 pm »
Love it.....

I have a way I like to deal with all the scammers....   Here is a rough script of what I use.

After they make their pitch.  I say the following:

Hello... 

Before moving forward, I am required to inform you that this call is being reviewed and traced by a state of the art Conispie Model 375-B device.  This disclosue is  in accordance with FTC rules 16 CFR 14.478 (c) and Interpol statutes under Subset Article 55.  Furthermore this call is sanctioned by the Reserve Bank of India.   

Therefore, I am requesting that you please remain on the line for another 2 minutes and 43 seconds.

My script would count it down, but no caller has stayed on more than 5 seconds.....    :silly:

:thumbsup:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 03:05:19 pm »
I had a coworker that went after autodialers, recorded calls, and anyone not a friend, with a vengeance. Following the  Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) he would demand his number be placed on their do not call list and for them to send him a copy of their do not call policy. If they did not comply or ever called him again, he would take them to court. He was often taking time off from work when someone wouldn't settle out of court. So off to court he'd go, again and again and again.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:06:21 pm by Elderberry »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 03:08:43 pm »
I had a coworker that went after autodialers, recorded calls, and anyone not a friend, with a vengeance. Following the  Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) he would demand his number be placed on their do not call list and for them to send him a copy of their do not call policy. If they did not comply or ever called him again, he would take them to court. He was often taking time off from work when someone wouldn't settle out of court. So off to court he'd go, again and again and again.

The so called "do not call" list is a joke.  I admire the guy's persistence but is it worth that level of obsession?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 03:13:33 pm »

That may work with the "legitimate" telemarketers, but it isn't going to work with the scammers who were the subject of this Grandma's wrath.  Many of them operate out of India, or other countries, using spoofed numbers, and so could not be hauled into U.S. court even if they could be found.

The one who got caught here was not the typical operator of this scam since he actually showed up.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 03:14:00 pm »
The so called "do not call" list is a joke.  I admire the guy's persistence but is it worth that level of obsession?

It was to him. He was a member of an AntiTele Group that had a lawyer that gave them a group rate. So it was a hobby that gave him an income on the side.

It's a joke because not enough people go after them for breaking the law.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 03:34:17 pm »

The one who got caught here was not the typical operator of this scam since he actually showed up.

When my aunt got scammed, they sent her a picture of her door in the Assisted Living building where she lived. They had someone working inside the home.
Countdown to Resignation

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 03:41:51 pm »
When my aunt got scammed, they sent her a picture of her door in the Assisted Living building where she lived. They had someone working inside the home.

Scamming the elderly takes  a special level of slime.

I enjoy Kitboga's efforts to fight these pieces of shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMMwpDTs5k
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:45:43 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 03:42:02 pm »

Some do, but many of them simply play the law of large numbers, ask for gift cards to be mailed to them, and simply count on a very small percentage of an extremely large sample size following through.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 05:08:12 pm »
Not only is the do not call list ignored charities and political messages are exempt. I have personally been harassed by the 'American Police Officers Alliance' as of late having both told them to remove me from their list and reported them to the do not call list. Every time I block them they just call back on a new 866 number, so yes I agree the NDNCR is a joke that we waste taxpayer dollars on.

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 04:51:23 pm »
My sister told a scammer that she knew where is was calling from and was on her way there to skin him alive.  She kept calling the scammers number until it was disconnected.  My sister is a pistol!