Author Topic: I Work With Dying Veterans. Here's Why I Don't Automatically Thank Them For Their Service.  (Read 232 times)

rangerrebew

I Work With Dying Veterans. Here's Why I Don't Automatically Thank Them For Their Service.
Scott Janssen
Sat, January 22, 2022, 9:00 AM·

James shifts nervously from one foot to the other, sweat glistening on his forehead and his muscles tense. A smiling intern approaches with a flag pin intent on thanking him for his military service whether he likes it or not. That’s when he bolts for the door. I take off after him; there’s no way I’m letting him tear onto the highway with his nervous system flashing red. Visions of a high-speed collision flash in my mind as I jog through the parking lot trying to catch him.

Earlier that morning, I noticed James standing apart from the milling crowd gathered for a workshop on terminally ill veterans who have “combat-related psychological challenges” like post-traumatic stress disorder, moral injury and complicated bereavement. With his straight back and hair cut in the style of a Marine, James was a stark contrast to the business card-exchanging group of social workers and psychologists with whom I’d been chatting.

I had gone over and struck up a conversation. He’d told me he worked for a “street program” focused on helping veterans struggling with drugs, homelessness and issues like depression, suicidal thoughts and PTSD.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dying-veterans-heres-why-dont-140001102.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 11:47:53 am by rangerrebew »

Online rustynail

Good article, thanks.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Although I was never a front line combatant or saw the brutality first hand like "James" or others, I still get irked when someone "thanks" me for my service.

I thought I understood why I get irked, but deep down, I guess I didn't really know.

This article really brings home why...although well intentioned, many just don't want to hear/know the hardships experienced.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.