Author Topic: Prosecutors say Oath Keepers leader is too dangerous to be released on bond  (Read 649 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Prosecutors say Oath Keepers leader is too dangerous to be released on bond
By Harper Neidig - 01/21/22 10:14 AM EST

Federal prosecutors moved to deny bond for Stewart Rhodes, the leader of the right-wing Oath Keepers who was charged last week with seditious conspiracy for his alleged involvement in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol, telling a judge that he poses a flight risk and is a danger to the community.

In a brief filed in Texas federal district court Thursday night, prosecutors asked a judge to order Rhodes be kept in jail while he awaits trial.

"There is overwhelming evidence that Rhodes organized a plot to oppose by force the execution of the laws of the United States and that he possesses the willingness and capacity to continue to engage in criminal conduct," Justice Department lawyers wrote. "Under these circumstances, only pretrial detention can protect the community from the danger Rhodes poses."

Jonathon Moseley, a lawyer representing Rhodes, called the detention motion claims "fiction."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/590762-prosecutors-say-oath-keepers-leader-is-too-dangerous-to-be-released
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Maybe he should volunteer to push someone onto train tracks.  That will get his bail lowered.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Kamaji

Maybe he should volunteer to push someone onto train tracks.  That will get his bail lowered.

Exactly

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Or stab a College girl working in a furniture store
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

While out on $50k bond from S.C.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
While out on $50k bond from S.C.

Bond was reduced to 1000.00

Offline Kamaji

Bond was reduced to 1000.00

It wasn't.  The $1,000 bond was the bond he was released on in California for some misdemeanor charge.  The $50k bond was in S.C. for a 2019 arrest for firing a weapon into a car.

Sources: https://nypost.com/2022/01/18/lapd-identifies-ucla-student-brianna-kupfers-murder-suspect/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10416901/LAPD-identifies-Brianna-Kupfers-suspected-killer-Shawn-Laval-Smith.html

Offline Hoodat

Federal prosecutors moved to deny bond for Stewart Rhodes, the leader of the right-wing Oath Keepers who was charged last week with seditious conspiracy for his alleged involvement in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol, telling a judge that he poses a flight risk and is a danger to the community.

A danger to the community?  This man walked free for 54 weeks while 80-year-old grandmas were being held in DC jail awaiting trial.  And they have the effrontery to claim this man, arrested in open public in Texas, is too dangerous to post bond?

I think the Biden coup may have bitten off more than it can chew with this guy.  I'm sensing a hefty civil payout by the time they're finished with him.

The indictment can be read here:  https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics/read-seditious-conspiracy-charges/index.html

The main problem I see is that the complaint indicates that the target of their conspiracy of sedition targets the Trump Administration, not the Biden Coup, since the exclusive focus is on Jan 6.  The actual transfer of Presidential power took place on Jan 20.  In the indictment, the only reference to that date were some text messages -  texts that gave no indication or instruction for blocking the transfer of power.

This is purely a reactionary stance taken by the Biden coup.  One of the biggest criticisms directed at them is that in this so-called act of sedition that took place on Jan 6, among the hundreds of people arrested, there hasn't been a single person charged with sedition.  So some bureaucrat at Justice decided to fix that by charging someone with sedition, or at least conspiracy to commit sedition.  Rhodes seems like the kind of person who would be willing to wait this out long enough for a jury trial.  That is not going to be good for the government.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

It wasn't.  The $1,000 bond was the bond he was released on in California for some misdemeanor charge.  The $50k bond was in S.C. for a 2019 arrest for firing a weapon into a car.

Sources: https://nypost.com/2022/01/18/lapd-identifies-ucla-student-brianna-kupfers-murder-suspect/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10416901/LAPD-identifies-Brianna-Kupfers-suspected-killer-Shawn-Laval-Smith.html

So it seems.   :beer:

Offline Kamaji

Offline Hoodat

The fact that he was already out on bond when he was arrested in California should have prevented his release after the newly set bond was paid.  Typically, jurisdiction #2 would set bond for the crime in that jurisdiction.  But once that bond was paid, they would release the perpetrator to jurisdiction #1 where the first bond was violated.  Don't ask me how I know this.

California had a legal duty to release the perpetrator to a South Carolina LEO instead of letting him go free.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

The fact that he was already out on bond when he was arrested in California should have prevented his release after the newly set bond was paid.  Typically, jurisdiction #2 would set bond for the crime in that jurisdiction.  But once that bond was paid, they would release the perpetrator to jurisdiction #1 where the first bond was violated.  Don't ask me how I know this.

California had a legal duty to release the perpetrator to a South Carolina LEO instead of letting him go free.

I don't disagree with you.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
It's almost like they are doing this as a trial run of "How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?" where we are taught not to question them. They are holding people over a year without charges for being at a protest while sending out murderers to kill and kill again.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Let me see if I understand this properly,ok?

Is what they are REALLY saying is that his IDEA'S are too dangerous to allow him out so he can express them?????

And here I was,thinking this was America,where ideas were welcome so people could listen to,and sometimes ridicule them.

Isn't there something written about "free speech" in some ancient obsolete document?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Wingnut

That is excusable. He is not only a member of "the protected race",he is at the forefront of the leftist attempt to create a Civil War within the US so they have the excuse they need to declare Martial Law and suspect the Constitution.

Once they do that,it is "Game OVER!" because THEY will be the only ones in a position to declare the "State of Emergency" is over,and that will NEVER happen.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!