Author Topic: Rod Dreher: Wokeness Is (Almost) Forever  (Read 121 times)

Offline Kamaji

Rod Dreher: Wokeness Is (Almost) Forever
« on: January 19, 2022, 04:32:00 pm »
Wokeness Is (Almost) Forever

JANUARY 18, 2022
ROD DREHER

Alot of conservatives are excited to think that the Woke have gone too far, and are going to reap a bitter harvest in the fall election. While I certainly hope for Republican victories, and believe that we should fight the Woke at every opportunity, it is beyond delusional to think that this is just a passing fad. One of the best Substack newsletters out there is The Upheaval, written by an analyst who uses the pseudonym N.S. Lyons. Today’s issue is the blackest of blackpills. Lyons explains why we are going to be fighting against the Woke Revolution for many years to come. Lyons cites a raft of conservative columns and op-eds speculating that the End of Wokeness draws nigh. Wrong! He writes:

One would think that by now all these anti-woke conservatives and moderate liberals would have learned at least some of the bitter lessons from the last decade about how political power and cultural change actually work, but I guess not. They could have taken note of all the fundamental factors driving this ideological belief system, all of which had to be painstakingly uncovered, layer by layer, even as it swept through every institution. But they have not. (Like, do they even read the pages and pages of erudite Substack anthropology on the topic? No?) They could have recognized by now that this is not a simple political issue with a political solution, but they have not.

Look, honestly I really didn’t want to have to do this. Come the New Year I had resolved to focus on the positives and all that crap. But I haven’t seen anyone else do it, so guess I have no choice and the duty falls to me to deliver the pessimistic news: no, the Revolution is far from over.

So, in what might also serve as a handy tour guide to the vast depths of the ideological abyss, catalogued at length here – in convenient listicle format! – are twenty reasons to get woke and despair.

Here are a few of my favorite ones. Lyons constructs his argument in such a way that one point follows from the previous one. I’m just going to quote the first four of his list, because you need to read them all in order to take in his argument:

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/wokeness-is-almost-forever/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rod Dreher: Wokeness Is (Almost) Forever
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 12:15:11 am »
The "era of woke" will not end until "the woke" have been... completely vanquished and all-but crushed out of existence.