Author Topic: Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW): The US Army’s New Super Rifle?  (Read 528 times)

rangerrebew

Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW): The US Army’s New Super Rifle?

By
Steve Balestrieri

Published
36 seconds ago

The US Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW), will soon begin its next round of testing. The US Army is looking to replace the M4 Carbine, M249 SAW, and M240 machine gun as well as the 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm rounds with a more lethal cartridge with a longer range. The US Army wants infantry and Special Operations units to field a new weapon starting in 2023.

NGSW: A History

The NGSW program began in 2017 after the military decided through lessons learned from U.S. troops in combat in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and other places that the 5.56 cartridge needed to be replaced as it was too light, especially with the improvements made by our adversaries in body armor protection.

The amount of equipment and associated weight that each operator carries into battle is ever-increasing. Therefore, having an advanced weapons system that is much lighter is a definite consideration.

The requirements for the replacement NGSW Rifle were simple, it had to fire the improved 6.8mm ammunition projectile. 

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/01/next-generation-squad-weapon-ngsw-the-us-armys-new-super-rifle/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:01:47 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Next Generation Squad Weapon (NGSW): The US Army’s New Super Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 04:02:16 pm »
The requirements for the replacement NGSW Rifle were simple, it had to fire the improved 6.8mm ammunition projectile. 

I know nothing else of their plans,but I am a fan so far.

Not so sure about it replacing the the 7.62mm in belt-feds,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 04:08:07 pm »
I know nothing else of their plans,but I am a fan so far.

Not so sure about it replacing the the 7.62mm in belt-feds,though.

6.8MM (.270 caliber) projectiles have long been the most efficient available as a matter of pure ballistics.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 06:23:02 pm »
6.8MM (.270 caliber) projectiles have long been the most efficient available as a matter of pure ballistics.

@Bigun

Longer,heavier bullets buck the wind better,and hit harder at long ranges.

I can go along with the 6.8 for individual weapons,but for belt-feds,bigger is better.

There are every good reasons Ma Duece is still king of that hill.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!