Author Topic: Gun Control States See New Reality for Gun Rights  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gun Control States See New Reality for Gun Rights
« on: January 17, 2022, 08:45:55 pm »
 Ammoland Inc. Posted on January 16, 2022 by Jim Grant   

The past two years have witnessed gun sales the likes of which have never been seen before. It’s not just Red states either. The totals include big numbers in Blue states already home to some of the strictest gun control laws in the country.

With the midterm elections less than 10 months away, elected officials supporting more gun control could be in for a rude awakening given the shifting Second Amendment support among their voting constituencies.

Gun Sales Blue Wave

Law-abiding Americans took firm control over their personal safety and Second Amendment rights in 2020 and recorded 21 million background checks for gun sales. That number dipped only slightly in 2021 for a total of 18.5 million. Those numbers include more than 8.4 million first-time gun buyers in 2020 and more than 3.2 million in the first half alone of 2021.

National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) verifications weren’t just processed in Red, pro-Second Amendment leaning states, however. Some of the biggest figures in the previous 12 months came from Blue states, typically the home of strict gun control laws.

Of the seven states that processed more than one million NICS checks in the last year, two have Democratic governors, Democratic state legislatures, and strict gun control laws. According to NSSF’s adjusted FBI NICS data, Illinois led the way among background checks processed in 2021 totaling more than 8.4 million checks for the year. An exception to most, that total includes checks run and rerun for Illinois Firearm Ownership Identification (FOID) cards and Concealed Carry Licenses (CCLs). California came in next with nearly 1.5 million checks run.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2022/01/gun-control-states-see-new-reality-for-gun-rights/#axzz7IC7IpNPs

Offline Kamaji

Offline AARguy

Re: Gun Control States See New Reality for Gun Rights
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:18:04 am »
It is inevitable that individuals seeing police resources being unfunded, police resigning and retiring due to lack of public support, crime skyrocketing (especially violent crime), Attorneys General refusing to enforce the law and all the rest, that private ownership of guns would drastically increase.

As America grew from coast to coast, individuals carried guns to protect themselves from bad guys. As civilization followed, cops replaced that approach. Now that cops are being neutered, it is only logical that personal gun ownership increase to the fill the void.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 11:05:21 pm »
I understand that gun sales are soaring, even in lefty blue California. And now, this:
California bill would require students’ parents to detail gun ownership
The proposed bill seeks to address the fact that in the majority of school shootings the weapons comes from the student's home or from a friend or relative.
Edvard Pettersson / February 2, 2022

A newly proposed California bill would require parents of public and charter schools students to disclose whether any guns are kept at their homes as well as how they are stored.

State Senator Anthony Portantino, a Democrat, introduced the bill that he said prioritizes student safety by increasing available information on gun access and safe at-home storage of firearms. The bill also would require schools to search a student's property on campus for firearms if there's a credible threat of violence.

“When in approximately 68% of school shootings the firearm was taken from the student’s home, friend, or relative, California needs to move the needle and take prudent public safety steps to address this problem," Portantino said in a statement Wednesday. "When we know that in 93% of those incidents the attack was planned in advance and in many instances threatening or concerning communications prior to the attack elicit concern from parents, friends, and educators, we must move from threat assessment to protective action without hesitation.” ...
Courthouse News

Do you have any guns in your house?
Um, not really.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 11:34:25 pm »
I understand that gun sales are soaring, even in lefty blue California. And now, this:Courthouse News

Do you have any guns in your house?
Um, not really.
When the nurse at the doctors office asks the annual question of "Do you have a gun in your home" I always answer honestly. "No I do not have a gun in my home"  :whistle: I wonder how they are going to get around a persons right to privacy with this.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 11:43:01 pm »
No one has asked me that question (yet).

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 12:49:39 am »
No one has asked me that question (yet).
I get it along with the are you depressed, do you feel angry, do you feel unsafe at home group of trying to peg me as emotionally or psychologically unsound.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 08:00:12 pm »
I get it along with the are you depressed, do you feel angry, do you feel unsafe at home group of trying to peg me as emotionally or psychologically unsound.
Probably not a good idea to let them know you are a member here.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 11:05:46 pm »
Waiting for a news story on this, but here's a heads up:

Kyle Becker
@kylenabecker
BREAKING: California’s ban on the sale of semiautomatic weapons to adults under 21 has been ruled unconstitutional
5:18 PM · May 11, 2022·

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 11:10:59 pm »
Waiting for a news story on this, but here's a heads up:

Kyle Becker
@kylenabecker
BREAKING: California’s ban on the sale of semiautomatic weapons to adults under 21 has been ruled unconstitutional
5:18 PM · May 11, 2022·

@mountaineer

AP wire service story:  https://apnews.com/article/california-gun-politics-san-diego-b9a81a718cd16085604b9acaf3046f35

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 11:12:24 pm »
Thanks, Kamaji.
... In a 2-1 ruling, a panel of the San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said Wednesday the law violates the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms and a San Diego judge should have blocked what it called “an almost total ban on semiautomatic centerfire rifles” for young adults.

“America would not exist without the heroism of the young adults who fought and died in our revolutionary army,” Judge Ryan Nelson wrote. “Today we reaffirm that our Constitution still protects the right that enabled their sacrifice: the right of young adults to keep and bear arms.”

The Firearms Policy Coalition, which brought the case, says the ruling makes them optimistic other age-based gun bans will be overturned.

The ruling was not a total victory for gun rights advocates, who had sought to block the state from requiring a hunting license for purchases of rifles or shotguns by adults under 21 who are not in the military or law enforcement.   ...

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 11:14:23 pm »
Thanks, Kamaji.

I'd love to know what possessed the one dissenter to rule against it - other than being a liberal, that is.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 02:25:23 am »
I'd love to know what possessed the one dissenter to rule against it - other than being a liberal, that is.
Well it's the Ninth Circus so.......... we'll have to wait for the petition requesting a rehearing en banc where the circus will surely reverse the ruling.