Author Topic: FedEx asks FAA permission to add missile-defense system to A321 freighter  (Read 186 times)

rangerrebew

FedEx asks FAA permission to add missile-defense system to A321 freighter
Gabriele Petrauskaite Gabriele Petrauskaite
submit to reddit

American cargo airline FedEx is seeking permission from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to install a laser-based missile-defense system on its cargo aircraft. 

In the filing dated January 7, 2022, the Department of Transportation of the Federal Aviation Administration confirmed that FedEx had asked permission to modify the Airbus A321-200 aircraft by installing the system. 

In the document, the FAA stated that FedEx applied for a specific type certificate, which would allow the company to modify the commercial transport-category plane in October 2019. At the time, FedEx asked permission to install “a system that emits infrared laser energy outside the aircraft,” the FAA filing reads. 

There have been a number of incidents in recent years where civilian planes have been targeted by man-portable air defense systems. As a result, laser-based missile defense systems began to be installed on aircraft in order to protect them against heat-seeking missiles. 

https://www.aerotime.aero/29977-fedex-asks-faa-permission-to-add-missile-defense-system
However, the FAA shared safety concerns about the implementation of such a system.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:56:19 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

I can sort of understand why, but it seems to me there may be a lot of countries where those planes will be unwelcome.  I can understand a panicky aircrew creating an incident with the weapon.  Oh well, it's their decision. :shrug: 

Offline Kamaji

That's a little disturbing - that FedEX planes are being targeted.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm hoping they're talking about int'l flights.
The Republic is lost.