General Category > Technology

Bill Would Give U.S. Government ‘Kill Switch’ in All New Cars

<< < (2/3) > >>

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on November 17, 2023, 03:56:06 am ---Man, is there ever going to be a market for used cars in a few years.  I'll never give our Gestapo infested government that kind of power over me.

--- End quote ---
I am busy working to get the 'fleet' in tip top condition (all 20th century vehicles).

mountaineer:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on November 17, 2023, 03:56:06 am ---Man, is there ever going to be a market for used cars in a few years.  I'll never give our Gestapo infested government that kind of power over me.
--- End quote ---
Disabling kill switches in such a way that no message gets back to the monitoring entity (who is that, anyway?) will be a very lucrative business.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: mountaineer on November 17, 2023, 01:48:03 pm ---Disabling kill switches in such a way that no message gets back to the monitoring entity (who is that, anyway?) will be a very lucrative business.

--- End quote ---
Being able to spoof that bit of code so the main computer thinks everything is intact and okay would be golden. (likely a Felony, too)

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on November 17, 2023, 02:06:40 pm ---Being able to spoof that bit of code so the main computer thinks everything is intact and okay would be golden. (likely a Felony, too)

--- End quote ---

Remember when this was a parody?  (2010 Superbowl Ad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemJWrp0nAM

mountaineer:
Sen. Lujan told Rep. Massie he was wrong, the kill switch law "doesn't track your vehicle's location or randomly switch off cars. It prevents people from driving drunk and saves countless lives."
Massie responded:

--- Quote ---Thomas Massie
@RepThomasMassie
Mr. @SenatorLujan:
#1 It will not act randomly. It will trigger falsely more often than not, dangerously stranding people in cars.
#2 This tech will need to track where the car is to know speed limit, appropriate driving behavior for the location, and where the car is disabled.
3:13 AM · Nov 12, 2023

Lawyerforlaws
@lawyer4laws
All conservatives driving to the voting booth ..
Instant kill switch activated ..😏😉
8:43 AM · Nov 12, 2023
--- End quote ---
A friend of ours noticed his Apple iPhone tracked him wherever he went, including to the gun shop and the shooting range. So he keeps it in a Faraday cage. What's to say the kill switch technology couldn't do something similar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version