Author Topic: Bill Would Give U.S. Government ‘Kill Switch’ in All New Cars  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Kamaji

Bill Would Give U.S. Government ‘Kill Switch’ in All New Cars

by Paul Joseph Watson
January 17th 2022

Law would "prevent or limit motor vehicle operation," give law enforcement access.

A piece of legislation that was quietly included in the infrastructure bill signed by Biden would give the U.S. government access to a ‘kill switch’ linked to law enforcement in all new vehicles from 2026.

Under a section in the bill that talks about ‘impaired driving technology’, the new system would “passively monitor the performance of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.”

If a blood alcohol level above the limit is detected, the system would “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation.”

In other words, a kill switch.

“Perhaps the worst part about the kill switch is that it would have a backdoor, allowing the police and other law enforcement agencies access,” writes Ken Macon. “The speculation is that a warrant would not be needed to access the kill switch. The other problem with backdoors is that they are accessible to hackers.”

The definition of ‘driver impairment’ could also be applied in a more vague sense, opening the door for all kinds of abuse.

Source:  https://www.infowars.com/posts/bill-would-give-u-s-government-kill-switch-in-all-new-cars/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Bill Would Give U.S. Government ‘Kill Switch’ in All New Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:42:40 am »
Oh, darn, I read the headline wrong.

For the first time in my life I was considering buying a new car so I could shut the government down when they ran amok...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 01:15:31 am »
UPDATE

‘Dystopian Science Fiction’: Thomas Massie’s Amendment to Stop ‘Kill Switch’ in Vehicles Fails
Hannah Bleau Knudsen
15 Nov 2023
Breitbart

Rep. Thomas Massie’s (R-KY) amendment to stop what has been dubbed a “kill switch” in vehicles beginning in 2026 under the guise of “passive drunk driving technology” failed last week — something that largely fell under the radar as all eyes remain on newly-elected House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) and Congress passing his stopgap funding bill this week.

This battle broke out last week, as Massie presented an amendment, which essentially states that none of the funds made available in the Biden-approved Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, passed in 2021, may be used to implement Section 24220 of the bill.  ...

Further, the bill specifically states these technologies would “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected,” leading critics to label it a “kill switch.”

“My amendment is simple. It will defund the federal mandate that requires all new vehicles after 2026 be equipped with a kill switch that can disable a vehicle if the vehicle has monitored the user’s, the driver’s, performance and that the vehicle determines that the driver is not performing well,” Massie said on the House floor.

“It’s so incredible that I have to offer this amendment. It almost sounds like the domain of science fiction, dystopian science fiction, that the federal government would put a kill switch in vehicles that would be the judge, the jury and the executioner on such a fundamental right as the right to travel freely. But here we are. It is it is federal law that this is mandated,” Massie concluded, as Democrat Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (D-FL) disputed the amendment, asserting that the section of the infrastructure law “does not require auto manufacturers to install kill switches.” ...
Gubmint sees you when you're sleeping driving
Gubmint knows when you're awake
Gubmint knows when you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake  ...

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 03:51:43 am »
You're tired. Your eyes are half-buggy from driving through the ground blizzard that whipped up in the last 40 miles. You spent the day working out in the cold, and you only have 10 miles of very uncrowded road to get home. The wind is blowing at 25 MPH outside, gusting to 40, and the powder like snow is blowing past in the -15 degree air. Just 10 more miles, another 20-30 minutes, and you are home.

Then your vehicle decides you are impaired and shuts down.

Now, you are on a sparsely traveled road, wind chill is below -40 degrees, and your vehicle is going to cool to the ambient 15 below quickly. You have your survival kit, and might live, but there is a chance that some other soul might come along and collide with your vehicle, at which point your chances for survival decrease significantly.

Just a thought. Here we have 'rumble strips' on the sides of the road and along the centerlines. If you contact those too often (some arbitrary frequency set by someone in a warm office far from blizzard conditions), will your vehicle be shut down? In the scenario above, there are times you literally 'feel' your way down the road, because none of the lane markings are visible. Preach all you want about whether someone should be out in that weather, but it does happen, and despite weather reports, when it is a couple of hours to the next town, weather changes. Granted, Northern Plains driving conditions are not common everywhere, (Think North Dakota, Eastern Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota), but that's no reason to rig up our vehicles for Galveston or So Cal. One damned size does NOT fit all.

Many years ago, a friend had a vehicle with a breathalyzer interlock on it. Even though he had decided to quit drinking after the incident that led to that, and had done so, the interlock system was required. Periodically, the vehicle would shut off and require the device to be blown into (something which required the driver to bend down below dashboard level) in order to continue running. Had it not been for the interlock kicking in in traffic, he would have been able to continue driving normally, and would not have been in a wreck.

Looking for some ex machina solution to human problems is a mistake.

At some point, you have to trust people to operate their vehicles, and not encumber them with gadgets which will likely get someone killed because they malfunction, or even because they work as designed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 03:54:06 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 03:56:06 am »
Man, is there ever going to be a market for used cars in a few years.  I'll never give our Gestapo infested government that kind of power over me.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 04:02:08 am »
Man, is there ever going to be a market for used cars in a few years.  I'll never give our Gestapo infested government that kind of power over me.
I am busy working to get the 'fleet' in tip top condition (all 20th century vehicles).

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 01:48:03 pm »
Disabling kill switches in such a way that no message gets back to the monitoring entity (who is that, anyway?) will be a very lucrative business.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 02:06:40 pm »
Disabling kill switches in such a way that no message gets back to the monitoring entity (who is that, anyway?) will be a very lucrative business.
Being able to spoof that bit of code so the main computer thinks everything is intact and okay would be golden. (likely a Felony, too)

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 02:13:53 pm »
Being able to spoof that bit of code so the main computer thinks everything is intact and okay would be golden. (likely a Felony, too)

Remember when this was a parody?  (2010 Superbowl Ad)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemJWrp0nAM
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 02:24:04 pm »
Sen. Lujan told Rep. Massie he was wrong, the kill switch law "doesn't track your vehicle's location or randomly switch off cars. It prevents people from driving drunk and saves countless lives."
Massie responded:
Thomas Massie
@RepThomasMassie
Mr. @SenatorLujan:
#1 It will not act randomly. It will trigger falsely more often than not, dangerously stranding people in cars.
#2 This tech will need to track where the car is to know speed limit, appropriate driving behavior for the location, and where the car is disabled.
3:13 AM · Nov 12, 2023

Lawyerforlaws
@lawyer4laws
All conservatives driving to the voting booth ..
Instant kill switch activated ..😏😉
8:43 AM · Nov 12, 2023
A friend of ours noticed his Apple iPhone tracked him wherever he went, including to the gun shop and the shooting range. So he keeps it in a Faraday cage. What's to say the kill switch technology couldn't do something similar?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 02:28:53 pm »
Sen. Lujan told Rep. Massie he was wrong, the kill switch law "doesn't track your vehicle's location or randomly switch off cars. It prevents people from driving drunk and saves countless lives."
Massie responded:A friend of ours noticed his Apple iPhone tracked him wherever he went, including to the gun shop and the shooting range. So he keeps it in a Faraday cage. What's to say the kill switch technology couldn't do something similar?
"It prevents people from driving drunk and saves countless lives."

So how does a car know someone is drunk without an installed and used breathilizer?  This is one lying bastard.

And imagine being on a freeway going 80, and your car suddenly stops in the middle of 6 lanes like in LA or Houston.  Real safe there I tell ya.   :thud:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 02:29:57 pm »
Massie responded:A friend of ours noticed his Apple iPhone tracked him wherever he went, including to the gun shop and the shooting range. So he keeps it in a Faraday cage. What's to say the kill switch technology couldn't do something similar?

That is why I use a cheap pre-paid flip phone that I only use on long trips for emergencies.