Author Topic: 'The mood is really grim': Washington Post staffers livid at publisher Fred Ryan after layoff announ  (Read 748 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'The mood is really grim': Washington Post staffers livid at publisher Fred Ryan after layoff announcement
Fox 55, Dec 15, 2022, CNN

Staffers at The Washington Post are livid at publisher Fred Ryan.

That's according to conversations I had on Wednesday with nearly a dozen employees at The Post who expressed fury at the way Ryan announced in a town hall that the company would undergo layoffs in early 2023. Ryan said that the layoffs would only amount to a single-digit percentage of the workforce and that the overall size of the company would not shrink, given there would be reinvestments in other areas. But none of that quelled outrage from staffers.

The staffers at The Post, who were already seeking answers over the way their colleagues who worked on the now-canceled Sunday magazine were summarily let go late last month, were aghast at the way Ryan conducted himself in the town hall, they told me. "He does this whole dog and pony show about how things are going great and then drops at the end that he's gong to cut the workforce — and then he refuses to take questions," one staffer told me.

Video posted on Twitter by national reporter Annie Gowen showed Ryan walk off stage as staffers peppered him with questions. Instead of answering the queries from his startled and anxious employees, Ryan told them that he would not "turn the town hall into a grievance session." In a blistering statement, The Washington Post Guild fired back at Ryan, describing his refusal to take questions as "unacceptable" behavior "from any leader," but "especially the leader of a news organization whose core values include transparency and accountability."

More::  https://www.wfft.com/news/the-mood-is-really-grim-washington-post-staffers-livid-at-publisher-fred-ryan-after-layoff/article_b1760aa9-3c0e-505c-840a-fab11e76e6b0.html?fbclid=IwAR21kt5VWJ5l489MlV6FRFBuVVydDvY2X4O9qdLou2i1HA89YtZ5I0R3sOk

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Ryan alienated the newsroom to such an extent that a number of high-profile reporters who had previously not joined The Guild decided that they would do so on Wednesday. Ashley Parker, Josh Dawsey, Shane Harris, Bob Barnes, Jose Del Real, John Woodrow Cox, and John Hudson told the union they wanted in, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Ryan seemingly tried later in the day to assuage concerns, sending a follow-up all-staff email in which he said that he recognized information about layoffs "will understandably generate a great deal of uncertainty across our organization." But that email didn't seem to improve his standing inside the newsroom.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
"...a news organization whose core values include transparency and accountability."

I don't know about you, but the first words that come to mind when I hear "Washington Post" are transparency and accountability. /s

Offline mountaineer

Welcome to the real world, Post employees.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Welcome to the real world, Post employees.

Sounds like they need to learn how to code.  :whistle:
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

Isn't this what they all voted for?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"...a news organization whose core values include transparency and accountability."

I don't know about you, but the first words that come to mind when I hear "Washington Post" are transparency and accountability. /s
What? You can't see right through that...? :laugh: :nono: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sounds like they need to learn how to code.  :whistle:
Maybe take in a welding class or two... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

88devil