Author Topic: A Man’s Best Friend  (Read 122 times)

rangerrebew

A Man’s Best Friend
« on: January 16, 2022, 02:48:08 pm »
A Man’s Best Friend

14 Jan 2022 | Pfc. Lauralle Walker Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point

MCAS CHERRY POINT, N.C. --

It’s human nature to want to pet a dog when you see one. However, as you get closer to a military working dog on Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, you’ll soon notice the words “DO NOT PET” stitched into their collar in bright yellow letters, and a handler not far away. As disappointed as some might be, it’s important to heed that warning because MWDs are trained to detect dangerous substances and attack on command.

Each military working dog at MCAS Cherry Point is issued a handler. However, being a MWD handler is no glamorous job. Not only is it competitive, but it requires a Marine who is willing to put in a lot of extra time and effort.

U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Kaleb Aikens is one of those handlers. When he first enlisted, Aikens’ goal was to become a military police officer. However, when the opportunity arose to work with dogs in a military setting, Aikens knew he needed to take advantage of the opportunity.

“When I got to military police school, it was asked who all wanted to go to Lackland Air Force Base for the handler course,” Aikens said. “I knew that was what I wanted in my career.”

https://www.marines.mil/News/News-Display/Article/2900284/a-mans-best-friend/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:48:59 pm by rangerrebew »