Author Topic: A Note from Medicare Suggests We Should Subsidize Alien Emigration  (Read 121 times)

rangerrebew

A Note from Medicare Suggests We Should Subsidize Alien Emigration
By David North on January 14, 2022

Warning: the following may sound too autobiographical, and too dark, for some readers but it relates to our migration and social insurance policies.

A note from Medicare arrived in the mail the other day.

It told me that the government had just spent $162,000 or so on replacing my heart pacemaker; its battery was on the verge of dying. Surgery was involved, apparently expensive surgery.

My first reaction, as a patient, was gratitude for Medicare and to its founder, Lyndon Johnson.

My second reaction, as a policy person, was: “Wouldn’t it be better for the U.S. Treasury if David North were somewhere else in the world?” Of course, it would.

Had I been outside the U.S., Medicare would not cover these costs; I could have taken a car, train, bus, plane, or ambulance from within Mexico or Canada to the nearest port of entry and managed to get that coverage, but had I been further away, and/or not capable of manipulating systems, the battery would have died and placed me in the same boat as about 99 percent of human beings, who get along without a pacemaker.

https://cis.org/North/Note-Medicare-Suggests-We-Should-Subsidize-Alien-Emigration