Author Topic: Democrats slammed for blocking Russia sanctions bill using filibuster they've decried as racist  (Read 97 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Democrats slammed for blocking Russia sanctions bill using filibuster they've decried as racist

Senate Democrats were slammed Thursday for taking advantage of the filibuster rule, which prominent members of their party have recently decried as racist, to block a bill from Republican Sen. Ted Cruz implementing sanctions on Russia.

The Senate voted 55-44 to pass Cruz’s sanctions on Russia for its Nord Stream 2 pipeline with Germany but failed due to a bipartisan agreement to subject it to a 60 vote threshold.

A handful of Democrats joined Republicans in voting for the measure.

The new natural gas pipeline, which is awaiting final approval from German and European officials before it goes into operation, has been a particular focus of attention as the U.S. and its European allies try to build a package of deterrents strong enough to stop Putin from invading Ukraine.

The move was met with immediate criticism from conservatives on social media who pointed out that Democrats have been attempting to abolish and suspend the filibuster with some Twitter users pointing out that just days earlier, President Biden tried to make the case that anyone who opposes removing the filibuster is akin to George Wallace and Jefferson Davis.
President Biden speaks after exiting a meeting with the Senate Democratic Caucus in Washington, on Thursday, Jan. 13, 2022.

"Seriously, you can’t make this up," the North Carolina GOP tweeted. "The same week Biden delivers a factless, angry, dishonest rant in Georgia to announce his flip-flop on the filibuster, Democrats effectively filibustered sanctions on Russia’s Nord Stream 2 pipeline."......

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-slammed-blocking-russia-sanctions-filibuster-racist
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.