Author Topic: Illinois court vacates approval of Dakota Access pipeline capacity expansion  (Read 639 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Illinois court vacates approval of Dakota Access pipeline capacity expansion

https://energynow.com/2022/01/illinois-court-vacates-approval-of-dakota-access-pipeline-capacity-expansion/?source=de&wtv=geology@nemont.net

Jan 12 (Reuters) – An Illinois appellate court on Wednesday vacated approval given by the Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) to allow the expansion of the Dakota Access oil pipeline capacity up to 1.1 million barrels per day.

The Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) can transport about 570,000 barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil from North Dakota to the Midwest, though the company said in August it had completed a capacity expansion to 750,000 barrels per day.

The pipeline out of North Dakota’s Bakken shale basin had been a source of controversy prior to its completion in 2017. Opponents said its construction destroyed sacred artifacts and posed a threat to pollute Lake Oahe, a critical drinking water supply, and the greater Missouri River.

Of course, the premises for the 'objections' were false, used in the national media to justify over a million dollars in damages done to construction equipment and another million to livestock and neighboring farms.
The real issue was when the pipeline was rerouted around Tribal lands. According to local (unofficial) sources that happened when the tribe had cut a deal, but before signing, suddenly demanded three times as much for the easement across the corner of the reservation. That demand made it more economical in the near term to go around Tribal Lands entirely, and would avoid future contention over the right of way.

Archaeological crews surveyed the entire route, and were on hand as the trenches and other earthwork were done to avoid disturbance of cultural assets. The pipeline route had over 100 changes made to avoid disturbing archaeological sites. In addition, the pipe laid beneath the Missouri river was emplaced in a borehole 90 feet below the bottom of the old riverbed, was double the thickness of the pipe laid elsewhere, and thoroughly inspected before being put in place. Of all the pipeline crossings of the Missouri River, this one is the newest and least likely to contaminate the river water.

None of those facts were pointed out in the National Media, who love a great protest for 'gaia', Nor did they focus on the trash remaining and damage done by those protesting to "protect the water".
When the site of the protester's camp was cleaned up, 720 semi loads of trash and debris were hauled out, along with a human body which had been wrapped in a tarp and abandoned in a creek. In all, some 24,000 tons of garbage and debris were hauled off, from a campsite that would be well within the area inundated by lake level rise during spring runoff, at a cost of over $1 million. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/1/dakota-access-protest-camp-crews-haul-48-million-p/Of the protesters arrested, 95% of them were from out of state.
In conjunction with the protests, valves were tampered with on three active pipelines (other, existing lines, where enclosures were broken into and valve settings changed) but those actions were caught by pipeline operators and the lines shut down before any damage or leakage occurred.

But part of the takeaway from these events is that if any of the major mass media take up the standard of the protestors, regardless of whether those protests are justified, the project or other matter becomes branded as "controversial". A pipe to pump oil through may not seem less than straightforward, no more a source of contention than a drinking straw, but either, given the opportunity for someone to complain, can become "controversial".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Controversial is like the stamp of 'racism'.

There is never a justification for either, just someone's opinion to make news.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

Maybe they should simply build a second pipeline to reduce the load on the existing Dakota Access pipeline.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Maybe they should simply build a second pipeline to reduce the load on the existing Dakota Access pipeline.
Actually, the plan was to install additional pumping stations and take capacity to 1 1/2 times the current ~500,000 BOPD. The rants and protests were over a brand new pipeline. There have been 5 leaks during start-up, the worst was 4 barrels of oil. At least one of those was due to sabotage by environmentalists. None contaminated watersheds.

As for 'protecting the water', those who abandoned 720 semi loads of debris and trash at the site of their camp in the flood plain (likely to be inundated during the spring thaw) did more damage than the (double thickness) pipe ninety feet below the old riverbed at the bottom of the reservoir will. There are 12 other pipeline crossings of the Missouri River.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I did not realize it, there are a lot of pipelines that cross the Canada/US border.  Also,  not all pipelines that cross the Canadian border send oil to the US.  Some send it to Canada in order to provide blend for the crude coming south.

A tip I received today from a pipeline guy is that one of these pipelines will reverse flow to bring the Canadian oil south.

More than one way to skin the cat. @Smokin Joe
Map of pipelines appears to be too big to post, so I provide this link.
https://www.capp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2020-CAPP-Pipeline-and-Refinery-Map-LARGE-fo-linking-only.jpg
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

I did not realize it, there are a lot of pipelines that cross the Canada/US border.  Also,  not all pipelines that cross the Canadian border send oil to the US.  Some send it to Canada in order to provide blend for the crude coming south.

A tip I received today from a pipeline guy is that one of these pipelines will reverse flow to bring the Canadian oil south.

More than one way to skin the cat. @Smokin Joe
Map of pipelines appears to be too big to post, so I provide this link.
https://www.capp.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/2020-CAPP-Pipeline-and-Refinery-Map-LARGE-fo-linking-only.jpg
That is only the big ones..There is a spiderweb of small lines that gather and transfer Oil and Gas, too.

Consider, there would be more if not for the idiots in our Government who pander to those who try to stop them, if they don't stop them themselves.

C S Lewis