Author Topic: Songbird: The Dystopian Film That Became Real  (Read 80 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Songbird: The Dystopian Film That Became Real
« on: January 13, 2022, 02:59:05 pm »
https://www.theepochtimes.com/songbird-the-dystopian-film-that-became-real_4208607.html

Songbird: The Dystopian Film That Became Real
Jeffrey A. Tucker
January 12, 2022

NOTE: When reading articles at The Epoch Times, DISABLE JAVASCRIPT in your browser.
This can be done with the click of the mouse using free extensions/add-ons.

Excerpts:
Watching “Songbird” (2020) was a delight.

Wait, wrong word.

It was chilling, remarkable, stunning, revealing, and terrifying in strange ways. It features a dystopian society that is fully consumed by disease panic and controlled by a police state that claims to be fixing the problem. The problem is not being fixed. Everything gets worse and worse. No one seems to know how to stop it because no one is actually responsible. Everyone is merely playing a role as civilization collapses.

It is not some wild vision of the future. It is a prescient crystallization of many aspects of the present. I can only congratulate the writers and directors, and also praise any venue that allows it to be seen. I’m surprised at some level, given the censorship in our times, that you and I are permitted to see it at all.

It is satisfying to know that at least one film made in the last two years dealt frankly with pandemic lockdowns and their social and economic implications. They mean the end of liberty, the end of human society as we’ve known it, and also the end of public health. The truth is perfectly captured in the film, which is nightmarish not because of an imagined future hell but because so many people have lived some version of this movie in the last two years, and millions around the world continue to do so.
I get why this movie was panned at the time it came out. It is too real, too prophetic, too poignant, too honest. It revealed the truth that so many people were unwilling to see at that time. These seemingly scientific slogans—flatten the curve, slow the spread, socially distance, track-and-trace—mask deeply dangerous policy ideas that can ruin life for everyone, and utterly destroy health and human liberty itself. The film is right: pandemic controls are an existential threat.

So much of the country is long-ago back to normal. They want to forget that this ever happened to us, and they imagine that they are safe from the egregious policies due to political protection and geography.

And yet I’m typing these sentences while listening to Anthony Fauci testify on the need for not only a new generation of vaccines but also his dream for another comprehensive government response to the next pathogen. The movie “Songbird” now looms large in my head: what precisely is the difference between what this film shows as the most ghastly dystopia and what Fauci himself is pushing now in the U.S. Senate? I’m not sure I see much difference at all.

You are not supposed to see this movie. That’s the best reason to see it now.

More at URL above...