Author Topic: Is the service rifle of the future a bullpup?  (Read 187 times)

rangerrebew

Is the service rifle of the future a bullpup?
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:46:35 pm »
Is the service rifle of the future a bullpup?

Travis Pike | January 11, 2022

You can learn a lot about the differences in national cultures by looking at the service rifles they issue their troops. In some ways, different countries, continents, and cultures take turns swapping in advancements in small arms technology. The United States has led the way with peep sights and semi-automatic battle rifles. Large parts of western Europe lead the way with general issue optics. Germany started the assault rifle craze, but Russia pushed it ahead.

As a result, it sometimes takes time for new and improved elements of weapon design to become ubiquitous around the world. But with that in mind, one type of firearm that has quickly become prevalent across large parts of the world in recent years is the bullpup rifle.

Yet, in North America, the bullpup never really caught on. The U.K. has the SA-80 series of rifles. France has the FAMAS. Austria, Ireland, and Australia love the Steyr AUG. And China, Israel, Singapore, and Croatia all have domestically produced bullpup rifles of their own. Bullpups have this futuristic quality to them, and it’s hard to deny that futurism does have a bit of an appeal.

In fact, there’s an old joke that goes, “Bullpups are the future…and they always will be.“

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/is-the-service-rifle-of-the-future-a-bullpup/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Is the service rifle of the future a bullpup?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:56:48 pm »
I see magazine changes as being slower. That's a deal breaker for me.

But for CQB, the shorter design has its merits, especially being able to maneuver it in confined space.

So I would say, it depends on the mission, if it's urban or if it's out in the open. I don't see the standard service rifle being replaced with a bullpup design any time soon.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

Re: Is the service rifle of the future a bullpup?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 04:09:51 pm »
  I don't see the standard service rifle being replaced with a bullpup design any time soon.

I hope "Thoroughly Modern Milley" doesn't see your reply.  If there is any doubt if it's any good, he'll probably make it the standard military issue just to piss thinking people like you off. ****slapping
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:10:38 pm by rangerrebew »