Author Topic: ‘Authoritarianism’ may be necessary to fight climate change, Cambridge study argues  (Read 162 times)

rangerrebew

‘Authoritarianism’ may be necessary to fight climate change, Cambridge study argues

01/09/2022 / By News Editors

A recent study published in American Political Science Review, a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal published by Cambridge University, begins with a teasing question: “Is authoritarian power ever legitimate?”

For many, the answer is clearly no, concedes the study’s author—Ross Mittiga, an assistant professor of political theory at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile. But Mittiga, in the abstract to the study, suggests otherwise:

“While, under normal conditions, maintaining democracy and rights is typically compatible with guaranteeing safety, in emergency situations, conflicts between these two aspects of legitimacy can and often do arise. A salient example of this is the COVID-19 pandemic, during which severe limitations on free movement and association have become legitimate techniques of government. Climate change poses an even graver threat to public safety. Consequently, I argue, legitimacy may require a similarly authoritarian approach.”

‘Explicitly Argues for Authoritarian Governance’?

https://www.climate.news/2022-01-09-authoritarianism-may-be-necessary-to-fight-climate-change.html#

rangerrebew

I'm certain there is no bias in this "study." :3:

Offline Millee

Authoritarianism is required for all of lefties crisis. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm willing to bet that what these people call authoritarianism is what we call fascism.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline Kamaji

I'm willing to bet that what these people call authoritarianism is what we call fascism.

:thumbsup: