Author Topic: Texas: Wind Fails, Media Blames Natural Gas… Again  (Read 471 times)

rangerrebew

Texas: Wind Fails, Media Blames Natural Gas… Again
« on: January 08, 2022, 05:05:55 pm »
Texas: Wind Fails, Media Blames Natural Gas… Again
3 hours ago
David Middleton

Guest “Just a bit outside!” by David Middleton

Plunging Natural Gas Supply Shows Texas Still Not Ready for Cold
    By Gerson Freitas Jr, Francesca Maglione, and Sergio Chapa
    January 3, 2022, 12:06 PM CST Corrected January 6, 2022, 1:18 PM CST

Texas’s natural gas industry had almost a year to prepare for last weekend’s cold blast and avoid another loss of production. But yet again, instruments froze, output plunged and companies spewed a miasma of pollutants into the atmosphere in a bid to keep operations stable.

Though Saturday’s cold front wasn’t as severe as the February storm that killed hundreds and knocked out power to much of the state, nearly 1 million cubic feet of gas was burned or wasted due to weather-related shutdowns, according to filings with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. At the same time, production plunged to the lowest level since the last freeze, BloombergNEF data shows.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/01/08/texas-wind-fails-media-blames-natural-gas-again/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Texas: Wind Fails, Media Blames Natural Gas… Again
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 05:07:49 pm »
I hope all y'all stocked up on propane heaters and rerouted vulnerable piping...

Looks like a trend coming on...

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 05:51:04 pm »
Looks like the bean counters who currently run ALL electric utilities refused to spend money on heat tracing and insulation.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:56:52 pm »
Looks like the bean counters who currently run ALL electric utilities refused to spend money on heat tracing and insulation.

I hate to tell you this @Joe Wooten but it's not just electric utilities that the bean counters are running!  I crossed swords with them constantly for years  in oil and gas before I retired.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 07:18:15 pm »
Reason #38 why we need global warming.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:32:21 am »
I hate to tell you this @Joe Wooten but it's not just electric utilities that the bean counters are running!  I crossed swords with them constantly for years  in oil and gas before I retired.

I just know the utility industry, but it does not surprise me that the money boys are running thingd in the oil biz too. When I started in 1979, we did our economic analyses over at least a 10 year period. By the 1980's it was 5, then by the 1990's, very little with over a 1 year to 18 month payback was ever approved...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 02:44:56 am »

My favorite bullshit phrase is 'sustainability'.  Because the idiots that keep repeating it don't give a damn about the sustainability of the business itself.  Thousands of workers will end up unemployed with no food on their tables, all in the name of 'sustainability'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 03:22:41 am »
Overheard hundreds of times over 42 years in the Oil Patch:

"It isn't our fault your sh*t doesn't work!"

Put the blame where it belongs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 03:32:28 am »
My favorite bullshit phrase is 'sustainability'.  Because the idiots that keep repeating it don't give a damn about the sustainability of the business itself.  Thousands of workers will end up unemployed with no food on their tables, all in the name of 'sustainability'.

:yowsa: Without a doubt!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 03:53:36 am »
I just know the utility industry, but it does not surprise me that the money boys are running thingd in the oil biz too. When I started in 1979, we did our economic analyses over at least a 10 year period. By the 1980's it was 5, then by the 1990's, very little with over a 1 year to 18 month payback was ever approved...

I'm going back a few years with this story, but it is still as relevant today as it was then. I was on a jack up rig in the middle of the Arabian Sea trying to fish a tubing string that had failed (ended up coming out in eleven pieces) out of an oil well which, when online, paid all of our salaries but the boys in town (bean counters) kept calling me on the radio phone every hour wanting to know why I spent this nickel or bought that without proper approval. I finally got a belly full and cursed one of them out over the radio.  Next day I had to go to town and get my ass chewed by the general manager for using bad language over the radio telephone.  The bean counters involved were sent back to New York for more training.  And the fact that the only reason we were out there fishing in the first place (cheap ass tubing not of the correct specs for the environment it had been put into) never even came up until many days later.  That conversation got me in even deeper with the bean counting crew.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 03:56:23 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 08:56:36 am »
I'm going back a few years with this story, but it is still as relevant today as it was then. I was on a jack up rig in the middle of the Arabian Sea trying to fish a tubing string that had failed (ended up coming out in eleven pieces) out of an oil well which, when online, paid all of our salaries but the boys in town (bean counters) kept calling me on the radio phone every hour wanting to know why I spent this nickel or bought that without proper approval. I finally got a belly full and cursed one of them out over the radio.  Next day I had to go to town and get my ass chewed by the general manager for using bad language over the radio telephone.  The bean counters involved were sent back to New York for more training.  And the fact that the only reason we were out there fishing in the first place (cheap ass tubing not of the correct specs for the environment it had been put into) never even came up until many days later.  That conversation got me in even deeper with the bean counting crew.
Some things, it takes what it takes. Go cheap, and you'll regret it. Ask the outfits that bought Chinese tubulars...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 09:16:47 am »
.  .  .  And the fact that the only reason we were out there fishing in the first place (cheap ass tubing not of the correct specs for the environment it had been put into) never even came up until many days later.

Somewhere in that big corporation, a piece of paper exists with the signature of the person who signed off on that out-of-spec cheap-ass tubing.  And does anyone EVER go back and identify the person who made that signature and hold that person accountable?  Hell no.  That person has been promoted at least three times since then.

I saw it all the time on a platform.  Machinery that was never once even turned on had been signed off as being commissioned.  And when it finally came time to use it for the first time, all the higher-ups pointed their fingers at us when it failed.

For people so worried about spending a nickel here and a nickel there, their own mismanagement cost tens of millions of dollars.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 02:37:36 pm »
Some things, it takes what it takes. Go cheap, and you'll regret it. Ask the outfits that bought Chinese tubulars...

In this case it happened to be Japanese (Satsuma) tubulars and there were ten other wells in that field with it installed.  We wound up with about 115K feet of the stuff but it wasn't a total loss. It did make great wheel stops around buildings and other such things.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 02:39:37 pm »
Somewhere in that big corporation, a piece of paper exists with the signature of the person who signed off on that out-of-spec cheap-ass tubing.  And does anyone EVER go back and identify the person who made that signature and hold that person accountable?  Hell no.  That person has been promoted at least three times since then.

I saw it all the time on a platform.  Machinery that was never once even turned on had been signed off as being commissioned.  And when it finally came time to use it for the first time, all the higher-ups pointed their fingers at us when it failed.

For people so worried about spending a nickel here and a nickel there, their own mismanagement cost tens of millions of dollars.

In this case it was purchasing guys who couldn't figure out why they needed to spend $500K for stuff they could get elsewhere for $300K.

- J. R. R. Tolkien