Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 127859 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1075 on: August 26, 2023, 01:52:24 pm »
I actually liked Alice Cooper’s “Only Women Bleed”, once I got past the fact that he wasn’t writing it about menstruation.  :pondering: It’s a pretty sad ballad.
I don’t look forward to the day that song gets banned,  because, you know, in this new world we live in, men can bleed too.

It is an amazing "pop" ballad.  It worked very well to broaden AC's appeal.  In my case, though, when I spent $5.98 in 1975, I want and have an expectation that this is another "Billion Dollar Babies".  Though this album very good, and in just my opinion, the pop ballads could have been more rocking. Like every thing in music, taste and preference rule.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1076 on: August 26, 2023, 04:10:21 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- ZZ Top- Eliminator (1983) **** 1/2

Surprised a 100+ reviews in,  I have not been asked to turn in my Texas Card by not reviewing this Texas masterpiece.  By the early 1980's ZZ Top were already in legendary status.  The encompassive infusion of bluez and gut buzzing rock was their hallmark, and man did they ever let loose with Eliminator, their 8th studio album. 

What really help get this album started, was the interesting development that the generally aloof and mysterious Top had joined the video revolution, and they did some very catchy videos with Hot Cars, Hot Women, and Hot Music.  Did it work?  Hell yeah.  This album reached that lofty level of diamond status in the US of 10M sales.  Yeah, the band used some schtick, but man was it ever backed up by some fine music. 

Eliminator, at its surface, is the Top's most pop and hook friendly fare.  Yeah, hard core fans were pretty ticked that Billy turned his back on his bread and butter bluez, but don't get me wrong, this album almost 100% has that feeling, and really it only boils down to the semantics of delivery.  I had friends who yelled "sell out", but not me....  I thought this album kicked ass.  And I could look past the cheesy videos and fuzzy guitars in deference to the tunes.

Maybe that cheezieness is why I don't give this album a near perfect rating.  A very consistent LP, but not perfect either.

Fun Fact:  Celebrate the fact these guys have been a band 52 years now.  What a career.

Side 1-
--------------

Gimme All Your Lovin'-  Awwwww yeah....   Bombastic bluez mastering blast right off the bat.  No one did better than the Top.  1

Got Me Under Pressure-  Similar theme, and feel.  And result.   :cool:  4

Sharp Dressed Man-  Might be a hard pressed to find a finer 1st 3 on an album that culimanates with this masterpiece. Another that is often defined by its video.  Which is a shame, because musically wise, this is some of the more innovative riffing and hook that is seldom seen in hard rock-  ZZ Top is unique.  No one sounds like them, or dares to.  2

I Need You Tonight-  Not to totally tick off the tradionalist, Gibbons gives the crowd a more traditonal blues number.  Not bad, but the standards are high, considering the rest.  9

I Got the Six- Standard hard rock, and tad off the blues tilt.  Sounds a lot like of the stuff of the Deguello era.  8

Side 2-
-------------

Legs-  3rd installation of their MTV video Top-Car-Guy-Girl thang.  Rocking number, and another example of the consistency of this album.  3

Thug-  Standard fare and blues reprise, of and string thumping, that is pretty unique to Top's catalog.  Not bad. 7

TV Dinnners-  Love the inane theme here.  But this as a contribution, is the most bluezy and ballzy of the lot. Only ZZ Top could make hits with such simplistic stuff. 6

Dirty Dog-  This one is the real sleeper on the LP.  Maybe the hottest solo licks.  Billy lets loose on this one. 5

If I Could Only Flag Her Down-  More traditional type of blues fare.  This is the one my friends cite as an ode to classic retro Top.  You can't argue that Gibbons, Hill, and Beard almost give the fans what they want.  Me?  I was digging what then was the current stuff.  This not as much. 10

Bad Girl- Off tangent, and off topic.  Never understood why the band finished this classic with a tune so void on substance and originality.    11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FdpJJVrlGQ

« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 04:13:35 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1077 on: August 26, 2023, 04:49:58 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- ZZ Top- Eliminator (1983) **** 1/2

Surprised a 100+ reviews in,  I have not been asked to turn in my Texas Card by not reviewing this Texas masterpiece.  By the early 1980's ZZ Top were already in legendary status.  The encompassive infusion of bluez and gut buzzing rock was their hallmark, and man did they ever let loose with Eliminator, their 8th studio album. 

What really help get this album started, was the interesting development that the generally aloof and mysterious Top had joined the video revolution, and they did some very catchy videos with Hot Cars, Hot Women, and Hot Music.  Did it work?  Hell yeah.  This album reached that lofty level of diamond status in the US of 10M sales.  Yeah, the band used some schtick, but man was it ever backed up by some fine music. 

Eliminator, at its surface, is the Top's most pop and hook friendly fare.  Yeah, hard core fans were pretty ticked that Billy turned his back on his bread and butter bluez, but don't get me wrong, this album almost 100% has that feeling, and really it only boils down to the semantics of delivery.  I had friends who yelled "sell out", but not me....  I thought this album kicked ass.  And I could look past the cheesy videos and fuzzy guitars in deference to the tunes.

Maybe that cheezieness is why I don't give this album a near perfect rating.  A very consistent LP, but not perfect either.

Fun Fact:  Celebrate the fact these guys have been a band 52 years now.  What a career.

Side 1-
--------------

Gimme All Your Lovin'-  Awwwww yeah....   Bombastic bluez mastering blast right off the bat.  No one did better than the Top.  1

Got Me Under Pressure-  Similar theme, and feel.  And result.   :cool:  4

Sharp Dressed Man-  Might be a hard pressed to find a finer 1st 3 on an album that culimanates with this masterpiece. Another that is often defined by its video.  Which is a shame, because musically wise, this is some of the more innovative riffing and hook that is seldom seen in hard rock-  ZZ Top is unique.  No one sounds like them, or dares to.  2

I Need You Tonight-  Not to totally tick off the tradionalist, Gibbons gives the crowd a more traditonal blues number.  Not bad, but the standards are high, considering the rest.  9

I Got the Six- Standard hard rock, and tad off the blues tilt.  Sounds a lot like of the stuff of the Deguello era.  8

Side 2-
-------------

Legs-  3rd installation of their MTV video Top-Car-Guy-Girl thang.  Rocking number, and another example of the consistency of this album.  3

Thug-  Standard fare and blues reprise, of and string thumping, that is pretty unique to Top's catalog.  Not bad. 7

TV Dinnners-  Love the inane theme here.  But this as a contribution, is the most bluezy and ballzy of the lot. Only ZZ Top could make hits with such simplistic stuff. 6

Dirty Dog-  This one is the real sleeper on the LP.  Maybe the hottest solo licks.  Billy lets loose on this one. 5

If I Could Only Flag Her Down-  More traditional type of blues fare.  This is the one my friends cite as an ode to classic retro Top.  You can't argue that Gibbons, Hill, and Beard almost give the fans what they want.  Me?  I was digging what then was the current stuff.  This not as much. 10

Bad Girl- Off tangent, and off topic.  Never understood why the band finished this classic with a tune so void on substance and originality.    11

"Legs" was probable the most catchy song (to me), but I have long since tired of it. "Gimme (all your Lovin)" <---Best Song IMHO. "Sharp Dressed Man" is still used as meme material (word wise) when any of my kids get dressed up. For some reason (though it is not my usual style), "I got the Six" works for me in small doses.

All in all, it was a fun album (I still have the 12" vinyl), but I drifted away from the style over the years. Now I just hunt obscure mostly forgotten New Wave, to keep it fresh.

I don't post much here Catfish, but I do enjoy reading.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 04:50:51 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline berdie

« Reply #1078 on: August 27, 2023, 04:44:29 pm »
Great review of ZZ. I like them but usually  put them in a "shuffle" with other music.

I went to one of their concerts and there were a ton of men wearing long, grey beards. I had a really hard time not pulling on them to see whose were real (probably not many) and whose were fake.  :laugh: I did fight the temptation.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1079 on: August 28, 2023, 12:16:01 am »
One day, I have to try to catch up.  I just couldn't, so I kind of stopped.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1080 on: August 28, 2023, 01:18:12 am »
Great review of ZZ. I like them but usually  put them in a "shuffle" with other music.

I went to one of their concerts and there were a ton of men wearing long, grey beards. I had a really hard time not pulling on them to see whose were real (probably not many) and whose were fake.  :laugh: I did fight the temptation.

lol...   Haw Haw Haw............

I saw ZZ Top in 1977, and in the early 1980's, and I can honestly say there are very few bands out there who love playing live more than thse guys.  And they do have a lot of energy for guys in their mid 70's.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:14:49 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1081 on: August 28, 2023, 01:20:16 am »
One day, I have to try to catch up.  I just couldn't, so I kind of stopped.

Looking forward when you have some time.   You added some really good reviews.

It's been kind of the same for me.  We went out west to help with grandkids for 2 months, plus other summer duties are making it tough to add.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1082 on: September 04, 2023, 05:08:43 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize- (1985) *** 1/2

Today's gem has kind of gotten lost in the obscurity of time.  This is a band of no-names, both in band, and production.  But for a few years these guys made some fine AOR stuff, that was solid musically for the genre, and had some of the best rock hooks of the mid 1980's.  This was a time when Canada was adding a nice niche of listenable stuff outside a lot of the English Wuss crap that was permeating the radio at the time.   Bands like Tragically Hip, April Wine, and Loverboy were nice adds to Rock and Roll History, though most of us would be hard presssed to remember any of them in a random manner.

Yes,, this is a band of unknowns, but collectively, they operated well a sum of the parts.  Yes, by the mid 80's the industry may have been suffering the Flock of Seagulls Syndrome, and decent music pretty rare at the time, but no doubt a few gems like this got through.  Not saying this album is filler free, but a better part than half is damned good.  In fact, I'd put the 3 best on this LP up gainst pretty much anything else that year.  And honestly if you lived during this time period, I'll bet you'll remember some of these tunes, but not the names.

Fun Fact:  I mentioned that this was an album/band of unknowns, but listen to All Along You Knew.  You might recognize the guy playing the Flute.....   Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Side 1-
------------

Bad Attitude-  Rocking intro- Yep no glitz, no wizardry, just gut punching rock and roll, and no UK wuss band pretentiousness that we were suffering from at the time.  1985 was not a lost cause. 2

Feel It Again-  Wonderful blend alternation of melodic hook and rocking raucous fun.  1st 2 are a great start to a really good album. 3

Lost and Found- Synth focused standard fare, not filler, but not one of the better efforts  7

What Does It Take-  Like pretty much everyone in the era, some obligatory ballads had to be added.  Harkens some to UK Wuss stuff.  No thanks. 9

One By One- Not saying this is a plagerized Bon Jovi tune, but swiping from one of my least favorite rockers, is not a vehicle of endearment.  Yeah its Filler.  10

Side 2-
---------

Wounded- Another one that has kind of a Bon Jovi feel to it.  With a little better result  5

Words In the Wind-  Best on the LP. Just the perfect mix of melodic layering chaos that gives this tune a unique zeal of mix and feel of hook and improv.  Best guitar solos on the LP, if you are really into that.  1

All Along You Knew- Perfect marriage of new and old at the time.   Really dig the Ian Anderson Flute infusion.  Kind of like Bon Jovi meets Jethro Tull 4

Once The Feeling- Another strong effort in what is showing to be a nicely consisitent LP. 6

Take My Hand- Sadly the LP reverts to English Wussery at the end.  Forgettable Ballad, and too bad they concluded in this manner.  8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zFN6DwSjjE

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1083 on: September 07, 2023, 03:28:21 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy- (1973) ****

Now, introducing the end of one of the best runs of great albums in Rock History.  Don't get me wrong H/H is a fabulous LP, but no doubt the bar was high.  This is the band's first effort that wasn't near or at perfection.  By 1973, LZ was the biggest band in the world, they knew it, and in some ways took that hype and believed they could take an experimental path that make the critics, fans, and record companies happy.  Of course it sold greatly, but there was an undercurrent, indluding me that thought why would you piss on what got you there. 

Stylistically H/H is kind of hodgepodged mix of III and IV, but with none of the songwriting and playing prowess that made people wear out their LP's and 8-Tracks. I am guessing Page and Plant were thinking that they needed to flex their versatility, but that success wouldn't come until the next album - Physical Graffitti.  I also think, and I am speculatively thinking that the band was also strongly focusing on their Live Film and Album, which was about at the same time.  Maybe that lack of focus impacted songwriting.

I know I might be in the minority of critics, as when you review the compliation, the consensus loved this.  But with all music, it is all subjective. It is not near audaciously adventerous as anything else they made, and in at least my opinion is the second worst studio album they made behind "Presence". (BTW....I don't count Coda as a valid album.)  But..... again.....the 7th best of 8 albums by this legendary group is still better than anything made by 95% of the rest of Rock.

Fun Fact:  Zeppelin in their careers sold 300M units. 

Side 1-
-------------

The Song Remains the Same-  Later the Title track and Title of their epic Movie.  Good standard Zep riffs, and overall band effort, though again, and I may be in the minority, does not do the band justice, in the grand scheme of the band's standing.  Yeah, it's a rocking ballad, that has neat shifts in meter and style.  Many loved it.  Me not so much-  5

The Rain Song- I didn't pay $5.99 at the time to hear sappy balladry from my favorite band at the time.   I sure LZ wanted to broaden their appeal, but with strings, and other diluting slush to this number.......   Me? Nope, and by the this second song, I was almost in WTF mode. Slightly more rocking side of the end, was not redemptive. 6

Over the Hills and Far Away-  Whew....  Finally a really good one.  Nicely down 12 string acousitc start blends nicely into a well hooked LZ tune that I expected to enjoy. Love the off synced melodic lines.  Though subdued, this has some bad ass Bonham drumming.  This structurally would be a very hard tune to drum to.  2

The Crunge-  ???  Funky endeavor, that sucked. Yeah, the bass lines are interesting, but Rick James, they aren't  The Bridge?  They should have jumped off. 8

Side 2-
--------

Dancin' Days- Decent foray into another experimental style with somewhat of a better result.  Wonder if many others noticed that Page did more repetitive riffing on this album than the first 4 combined.  Song is saved by some nice slide guitar which works nicely with the intent of the song. 4

Dyer Maker- Ugh.  This was the hit, and man was it bad.  The worst 3 songs on this album, are probably the worst 3 of any album they made. And not even close.  7

No Quarter-  Loved this one.  Dark, foreboding. Where in most cases, I didn't like the experimentation, this one hit the mark.   This one has the closest feel to what you will see and hear in Physical Graffitti.  Live favorite, as it worked so fine and so many levels on an improv basis.  I don't think Page ever played this song the same ever live- 3

The Ocean- I am probably definitely in the minority, but this is my favorite on H/H. Air Drummers rejoice, Bonham kills it.  To me this has some the most innovative melodic interplay on the album, and just a perfect mix of hook, and pizazz. 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97FpOlzPqFM

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1084 on: September 12, 2023, 05:03:11 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Blue Cheer- Self Titled (1969) ***

Wowzer...   This was probably about my 5th-8th  album I ever bought.  And tonights  is probably the first time I have given it an entire listen in easily 50 years.  And honestly I wasn't disappointed.  Blue Cheer were quite innovators in their day.  They incorporated many styles that would be heard in many future bands in the following 20 years.  But the thing about this Band, is that they really did not seem hep on hit making.  In fact their highest and only one of two charting tunes was the oft covered Cochran Tune, "Summer Time Blues".

If you really want to pin a direction for this very good LP, its very complex mix of psychedelia, metal, funk, and blues.  It is my opinion their most consistent, work if you consider Side 1 its own unique work.  And still, listening to this one and few other early works, you have to wonder why there is no substance to this  band's legacy.  They were innovative, influential, and competent in songwritng and instruments.  So what the hell happened?  Mostly a mystery, but if there is one striking detraction to this group, is not only lack of a superstar grinder, but  there were 30 different people who have been members of the Band Blue Cheer.  Also, there are snips here are there that make the band sound a whole lot alike Tbe Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Animals, and a few others.  And honesty, before doing this review, if I was pressed into citing one member of the band, I wouldnt have been able to.  And I am one who likes to think he is a student of rock history.

Still, this is a fine example of exactly what then late 1960's SF Haight Asbury look and sound,   and well worth a listen.  And a helpful hint, all of their best stuff is on Side 1.  I do know there are jewels out there in the sea of obscurity, and this is a perfect example.

Fun Fact:  Even though in my opinion, this is their best work, it didn't even crack the Top 200 Album chart.

Side 1-
-----------

Fool- Though it won't be the first or last time the band went into Stones territory on this LP,  Fool sounds about as good as anything from Richards and Jagger in the late 1960's hay day. Very good catchy blues number, that though I wouldn't call hooked has some great well played ax/harmonica bluezy groove.  1

Youre Gonna Need Someone- Another fine blues tinged rocker, that has fantastic bass line. Love the ending and quackery that nowadays would be a real head scratcher, but quacking ducks was just what the era's Stoners were digging 2

Hello LA, Goodbye Birmingham-  Very quaint period peace with that signature hammond organ that we loved during the era.  Song has that often used theme of country boy gets a guitar, and goes on adventure on his way out to make it in the music industry.  All the Charm of Ito the Great White Open, with that 1960's flair. 4

Saturday Freedom- Maybe the most standard 4/4 rocker on the LP.  They did a very and unique blnd of bluez and psychedelia that worked well. 3

Ain't That the Way (Love's Supposed to Be)-  Band bit a bit more than they could chew, and this one has level of clutter that hurts the continuity of the tune.  I love well crafted chaos. But this one sounds more like guitar v. organ....   And  neither wins. 9

Side 2-
-----------

Rock and Roll Queens-  Just realized that Grand Funk swiped some riffs for Footstompin' Music on this one.  Not so hot, and there are much better choices on this album. 8

Better When We Try- This Animals/Doors style attempt misses the mark. 7

Natural Man-  Stones cloning attempt Part 2.  Falls flat on its ass. 10

Lovin' You is Easy-  More Side 2, that just didn't meet the same standards as 1. 6

The Same Old Story-  Blues finale.  Slow roller, that infused even some Janis Joplin kind of vocalization.  Simple one, but kind of a pleasant change of pace from the rest of S-2.  5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6Gs1quDpg

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1085 on: September 14, 2023, 05:28:52 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Beatles- Abbey Road (1969)-  *****

Reviewing works by the greatest rock band in history makes me very nervous.  In context, even when I got my first album of any kind in 1965 (Meet The Beatles), there was always this level of inferred mesmerization,  as these were some of the greatest song writers of not only rock, but of any music genre of any kind.  This album, and about half a dozen of their catalog is massively filler free.  These albums ere not only perfect, they transcend into what seems to a different plane of creativity. 

What I find so endearing about this particular album is its sheer randomness.  There isn't a conceptual bone in the body of this work,and when you are  considered the greatest band on earth?  Who is to tell you who, what, where, or when to record.   What is amazing is this legendary band only made 13 traditional studio albums, and man did they not waste any vinyl in getting their message across.

The Beatles were not just a band,  They set the styles, and were cultural icons in every form and fashion.  It could be argued that they invented counterculture .  So many bands on both sides of the pond made it a point to sound like, imitate, or emulate the Beatles.  Their impact on music can not be underestimated.

And from a historical perspective, I remember so many pundits claiming that the band was at "jump the shark"moment with Yellow Submarine.  Personally I loved YS, and all of their work,  but critics were shocked that a band that in previous order Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, and White Album had devolved to a cartoon soundtrack.   In retrospect it was genius, and only in legacy building worked perfectly into their discography.

Abbey Road itself split in the 2 sides has side one that seems more entwined in the  tradition and style of the White Album.  Well let me reiterate some parts of the White Album, but not in its entirety.  Side 2 is mostly a hodgepodge of musical Vignettes in a Pollock art like splash of musical fortuitous darts at a dart board.  Jaw Dropping excellence to say the least.

Fun Fact:  The Beatles are the highest selling musical act in history with sales of 600 Million Units.  That is not a typo.....  600 Million.  And that is just albums.  If you include all the 45's, I'll bet they are pushing a Billion.

Special Props to the YT author who put this together.  CGI adds  a special touch to the Fab 4's efforts, and enjoyment to this listening experience.  I'd recommend  watching it before the YT police yank it down.

Side 1-
-------------

Come Together- This cut and the next one "Something" were probably the most recognized hits on the LP.  Come Together is an incredible whimsical and nonsensical (just first of several) number.  Song contains maybe McCartney's most iconic bass lines.  Of course you can tell this is a mostly Lennon inspired effort.  His fingerprints are all over it in style and delivery. 6

Something- Maybe the greatest rock ballad ever composed.  Beautiful, emcompassive, and powerful.  I always thought this was one of the first big hits that featured a Mellotron, though from the credits, it cited as Hammond Organ.  Sure sounds like a Mello to me.   Definitely George Harrison's greatest example of his work. 5

Maxwell's Silver Hammer- McCartney clowning around in again...  whimsical and nonsensical.  My least favorite add on Side 1 though. 16

Oh Darling-  The Beatles made very few of what I would call blues styled songs.  But the song works nicely, and really showcases just how  talented and versatile they are. 12

Octopus' Garden-  See Maxwell's, but compliments of Ringo.   Yellow Sub Hangover?   Maybe the most hooked effort on the album.13

I Want You- Like I mentioned earlier, by this point in their careers, their styles had diverged enough, that you can almost predict who had the main line of songwriting at the time.  By the late 1960's all the Lennon- McCartney credited songs were really individual efforts.  Versus early on, it was though not impossible, more difficult to discern.to  Lennon's style was so much serious and melancholy, the differences are striking. The end of the song has some of the most thundering almost hard rocked edged stuff the Beatles ever did. 9

Side 2-
------------

Here Comes The Sun-  Thus begins the Medley side of Abbey Road, and it begin magnificently. Upbeat and bright....  Yes, Here Comes the Sun.  Harrison's contributions on scale and on this particular song exceed here on this album than any other from my taste.  Yes, Something was the epic classic, but this one is one of my favorites by the band.  And it also gives glimpses of why Harrison was the most successful of the four in their solo careers. 1

Because- Sgt. Peppers psychedelia feel on this one.  Almost perfect harmony, and very interesting harpsichord melody, just adds to one of so many unique Beatles tunes. 11

You Never Give Me Your Money- Another almost Day in the Life kind of phasic number that shifts and turns in direction more than once in this excellent effort. 7

Sun King-  With Crickets blaring  the band downshifts into a soft ballad of a short minute and a half. 10

Mean Mr. Mustard-  By this time, the band is about to shift the direction into nonsensical overdrive.  Works wonderfully in the scheme of it. 15

Polythene Pam-  Love this throw back that almost seems it could have been added in 1964.  It rocks. 2

She Came in Through the Bathroom Window- Another that kind of has that style from the Sgt. Peppers/ Magical Mystery Tour era.  All these Vignettes are done in such rapid fashion you might be inclined to think this is musical incoherence. But that is not the case.  There is a reason why the legacy of this album focuses on it being on almost all Top 10 lists in Rock History.  It's genius. 3

Golden Slumbers- Fairly Short McCartney ballad, that mostly serves as a transitory tune .14

Carry That Weight- Another Heavy tinged and orchestrated dubbed that adds nicely to the equation  8

The End-  And what an end.  The band allows all hell to break loose.  It has it all...   Searing dual guitar solos, drum solos, and a swan song goodbye that sums it all up.  To me...  this is the end of the band as a collaborative melded force.  Let it Be, In my estimation was a forced event where the 4 members were going their own way, and it just didn't have the charm or the effect. 4

Her Majesty-  Very short acoustical ditty that basically dissed QE2.  Somehow they still acquired Knighthood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGW_TEwCXw

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #1086 on: September 14, 2023, 07:05:11 am »
Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize...

Not really my go to style, but being an 80s group (that I had not heard of) I gave them an ear.... you did a good job describing the music... still not my style, but I could listen to it in the background without complaint.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1087 on: September 14, 2023, 10:40:12 pm »
Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize...

Not really my go to style, but being an 80s group (that I had not heard of) I gave them an ear.... you did a good job describing the music... still not my style, but I could listen to it in the background without complaint.

Good points @Sighlass.  I get a kick out of good bands that really don't have virtuoso on stage, but as a sum of their parts and teamwork can come up with a good album.  Not every band can have a "Jimmy Page".

BTW, what did you think of the CGI/animation of Abbey Road?  I enjoyed it.

Offline Sighlass

« Reply #1088 on: September 15, 2023, 05:21:54 am »
Good points @Sighlass.  I get a kick out of good bands that really don't have virtuoso on stage, but as a sum of their parts and teamwork can come up with a good album.  Not every band can have a "Jimmy Page".

BTW, what did you think of the CGI/animation of Abbey Road?  I enjoyed it.

To be honest I had skipped the Beatles video, never was a big fan for various reason, though I have heard [and somewhat liked] countless instrumental versions of their songs a million times. To be honest, I had a lot of Beatles records (given to me via a  huge collection (probable 400 7" records 33/45/78) when I was a kid from kinfolks that had their kids move out and leave them).... I played everything of course, until my cheap kid's record player turned the records into dust (literally the needle was that bad, it ate the records). I couldn't tell you which Beatles records I had, but I wished I had not killed them (I didn't know needles needed changing at the time).

For you I gave the video a quick go-through and the CGI was interesting... I don't understand CGI, did they take a original video and animate it? Just seems if they made it out of thin air, they sure do a good job of making the movement seem natural. I recognized about half the songs. Always hated "Come together" with a passion. "Something" was a good song to be honest. "She's so Heavy" is pretty cool but drags to long. "Here Comes the Sun" is a good song. "Carry that Weight" chorus was always catchy, but that was about all I liked.

I think what finished The Beatles off in my world was Castro doing a statue in Lennon's memory (because his political views). I just wanted nothing to do with the group, kind of like when you eat something that sours your stomach, and you don't want it again. If I was honest, a lot of my 80s groups probable are just as bad, but because I didn't take time to study their politics, I hypocritically give them a pass.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1089 on: September 16, 2023, 11:31:07 pm »
imho, the Beatles are one of the hardest to review. You did a great job.

Since I more or less checked out after Rubber Soul and Revolver, I enjoyed it. And I knew most of the excellent songs. :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1090 on: September 16, 2023, 11:46:16 pm »
imho, the Beatles are one of the hardest to review. You did a great job.

Since I more or less checked out after Rubber Soul and Revolver, I enjoyed it. And I knew most of the excellent songs. :laugh:

Very kind to say.  Works by The Beatles have been so parsed, interpreted, and discussed in so detail, sometimes you wonder how useful it is to share.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1092 on: September 21, 2023, 07:26:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1093 on: September 22, 2023, 12:56:20 am »
To be honest I had skipped the Beatles video, never was a big fan for various reason, though I have heard [and somewhat liked] countless instrumental versions of their songs a million times. To be honest, I had a lot of Beatles records (given to me via a  huge collection (probable 400 7" records 33/45/78) when I was a kid from kinfolks that had their kids move out and leave them).... I played everything of course, until my cheap kid's record player turned the records into dust (literally the needle was that bad, it ate the records). I couldn't tell you which Beatles records I had, but I wished I had not killed them (I didn't know needles needed changing at the time).

For you I gave the video a quick go-through and the CGI was interesting... I don't understand CGI, did they take a original video and animate it? Just seems if they made it out of thin air, they sure do a good job of making the movement seem natural. I recognized about half the songs. Always hated "Come together" with a passion. "Something" was a good song to be honest. "She's so Heavy" is pretty cool but drags to long. "Here Comes the Sun" is a good song. "Carry that Weight" chorus was always catchy, but that was about all I liked.

I think what finished The Beatles off in my world was Castro doing a statue in Lennon's memory (because his political views). I just wanted nothing to do with the group, kind of like when you eat something that sours your stomach, and you don't want it again. If I was honest, a lot of my 80s groups probable are just as bad, but because I didn't take time to study their politics, I hypocritically give them a pass.
"Always hated "Come together" with a passion"

Always hated that one too. Still like the Beatles a lot. I doubt Lennon was as seriously leftist as Castro thought he was. Lennon certainly didn't live the average Soviet citizen.
I play a lot of Beatles music on my guitar. Can't help it if some truly awful people liked the Beatles. I heard Saddam Hussein loved ABBA. What are you going to do?  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2023, 09:04:03 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs- (1974) *** 1/2

I have seen quite a few great blues/rock guitarist in my life, including , SRV, Johnny Winter,  and Billy Gibbons, and several  others, but one in particular I want to recognize that has someone been lost in the sands of times is the great Robin Trower.  There was a period of time in the early to mid 1970's that record companies and their execs would hype the "New Hendrix".  Trower fresh from Procol Harum fame, was the lastest installment in that process.

Robin Trower is definitely in that class, but when was the last time while listening to classic rock stations, do you hear any of his classic works especially from his second album (this one) or the subsequent one "For Earth Below". For me to pick one of these two was tough.  Almost a coin toss.  The only reason I chose Bridge, was because the best 3 from this one, is just a tad better than the latter.  I also gave this one a nod, in that the solos seem more intense and technically tight.  There were some crazy innovative ways that Trower made his Strat sing like no one had done since the man himself (Hendrix).

One thing that is a great sign of the power of a band, is its ability to create a wall of sound that mimics 5 vs 3.  Even though this band is no way similar to ZZ Top in that respect, one very interesting similarity is its empcompassive feel that no note or moment is wasted.   In fact, if you allow yourself to immerse yourself into the listen, you will get that same virtuoso vibe as you would during an intense Hendrix or SRV blues iteneration.   In any case, I am thankful that he left Procol Harum, and unleashed some fantastic rock/blues fused masterpieces.

Fun Fact- Band had zero platinum albums, which I kind of found odd, considering how big he was back in the day

Side 1-
-------------

Day of the Eagle- Marvelous blend, and marriage of blues and hard rock.  Trower did a great job of picking of bassist James Dewar (from somewhat obscure band- Stone the Crows) for vocals.  This is maybe the most rocking and less blues-ish number until the decressendos into a fading sun like decompress.  Excellent. 2

Bridge of Sighs- Title Track intentionally channels RT's inner Hendrix.  Song allows some nice peripheral percussion and a has that majestic feel in what feels like a slow mo, blowing, and I mean slow rolling blues classic.  I had almost forgotten how good this album was.  4

In this Place-  Song has a foundation that has tinges of the modern Soundgarden sound. Good one, but lower tier in the preference on the album.  Listen to Black Hole Sun, and feel the simiarity.  Or maybe its my imagination.  7

The Fool and Me- Another smoking blues tune, that RT absolutely has that Stratocaster singing.  I've always stuck with my Gibsons for playing around (SG/LP), but songs like this make me want go out and binge on another ax.  This is vintage Robin Trower. 5

Side 2-
------------

Too Rolling Stoned- Side 2 opens like a sledge hammer. I consider this easily one of the top 5 rock/blues tunes of the 1970's. You will swear you are hearing a 3 headed monster channeling Hendrix/SRV/RT, if you take in the final few minutes.  This is transcendental blues at its best.  And why this one doesn't get airplay on modern Classic Rock radio is a mystery.  If you only have time to listen to one song on the album, this is the one.  1

About to Begin-  This song has the misfortune of having to follow RT's greatest classic.  And though it might appeal to the softer bluezy, and almost torchlighting jazzy feel, it just does check the boxes for me.  8

Lady Love- Strange add, as this more of a standard rock song of the era, versus what is in RT's roundhouse.  Not bad, but out of place. 6

Little Bit of Sympathy-  RT's takes a bit of an off tangent.  He goes full bore with hard rock, with a crazy mix in that kind of Electric Ladyland territory.  From a technique standpoint, this might be one of the most difficult work he did.  I know I would have cramps in my hand if I could play this. The tonal drops along the frets are crazy good. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2afD0B0I-g

Offline berdie

« Reply #1095 on: September 23, 2023, 11:29:23 pm »
Not being a huge fan of Procol Harem, I was unaware of him. Thanks. He is a great guit picker. But there are a lot of great guit players. What makes them stand out, to me, is their voice.

Disclaimer: I'm a SRV and Satriano groupie. Their voices were/are distinctive.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1096 on: September 24, 2023, 12:10:46 am »

Disclaimer: I'm a SRV and Satriano groupie. Their voices were/are distinctive.

In the early '80's, I accidentally caught some of a SRV's show on 6th Street in Austin, back when it really was a great place for music.  I was blown away with the what I felt was almost acrobatic, Hendrix like blues.  In fact, I almost thought he was a Hendrix cover artist, as he played a couple of Hendrix' tunes from the era.  Impressive though.

Then a few years later, Texas Flood came out, and I remember telling a friend who got the album......   I saw him, with about 50 other people in the bar.   The acoustics were't so great, so I really didn't get a real feel on how crisp he was.

Satrini?  Ultra-masterful guitar tactician, but one weakness is in songwritng skills, and again, that is just my opinion, because he sure does have a good fan base. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1097 on: September 25, 2023, 10:22:12 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- UFO- Obession (1978) ***

Today's selection is somewhat of change of pace.  I would pretty readily guess that almost born after 1965, has not heard this band.  But these hardworking journeymen over 40+ years almost produced 2 dozen studio albums.  The kind of view I give them, is maybe a moniker of one of the greatest back up bands in history.  This band opened for almost everyone big in the 1970's and early 1980's.  And this was a band as live, would give you your money's worth.

Very solid rocking band, that had good consistent albums, as produced.  But, they just didn't get that one hot or series of hits that propelled other bands.  Technically, they are very sound too.  Maybe a tad too formulaic.  And there is a certain degree of filler, in all their stuff, but I would be amiss, that no rock audiophile should ignore this solid band.  of course, you can kind of discern of the similarity of their sound to other similar groups of the era.   You can hear, Free, Zep, Priest, among several others. 

To pick one from their catalog, it was a tossup between this one,  and the prior year's Light's Out (1977).  Chose this one, as the I kind of like the better cuts, and the riffs seem more concentrically centered and listenable.  There are few stinkers, but I think and hope that you see that this was a band good enough not be be forgotten. No weak links in the lineup, songwriting is acceptable, but one has to realize that back in the 1970's there was a lot of competititon in the day for $ for albums and concerts.  These guys just didn't make the final leap to stardom.  But thanks for the music though.

Fun Fact: Another band with not only no platinum studio LP's, but gold either.  Amazing that they had that level of unrequited  love, and still had the longevity of 22 studio albums (1970-2017).

Side 1-
------------

Only You Can Rock Me-  Best UFO tune, by far.   Made it to No. 50, and a what a shame it did no better.  Well constructed chaotic standard, and about as good AOR sound as you are going to find the era.  Many other bands made lesser tunes than this that charted much higher.  Which is just more proof that there are so many intangibles in the music business dictating success. 1

Pack it Up (And Go). Very hard rocking that checks all the boxes, but doesn't too well trying to build on repeti-riff.  A couple nice searing solos that sadly lean up against a Spinal Tap like bass/drum line.  4

Arbory Hill- Off tuned, flute(?), Recorder (?) that starts Tullish ditty , that morphs quickly into a Judas Priest stuff.  Nope. 10

Ain't No Baby-  Made the Priest reference, and there isn't an ingenious bit or innovative note in this.  8

Lookin' Out For No. 1-  Obligatory ballad that works pretty weill outside their center expertise. Solos have more soul on this one, instead of fretting gymnatstics.  5

Side 2-
--------------

Hot n' Ready- Solid Opening on Side 2.  i enjoy how they mixed this one, with more equity for all parts, instead the standard blaring guitar.   Though, outside opener, the tune ends with some pretty strong ax work.  2

Cherry- I understood the need for band versatility to be displayed, but often that effort is not good.  In this song it is a mix of good and bad, with some really neat hooking and soloing to at least save it. 6

You Don't Feel Me- Very nice of some blues influsion that set this one apart from the rest of the album.  Still a little too formulaic to meet my taste.  Sadly UFO made at least a dozen or two other songs, that are very similar.  Saw a lot of this in their early stuff. 7

Looking Out For No. 1 (Reprise)- No idea why the bad would semi-rehash a minute spot like this.  Seemed pretty pointless 9

One More For the Rodeo-  Hard rocker, and an upper tier cut from the LP.  One thing, you are noticing though, that there is such a consistent meter and feel to this music, you might kind of get an idea, that their lack of songwring breadth, just might be why this band never made it to its level of it's peers. 3

Born To Lose- Sappy ballad that recycles the melodic lines of Only You Can Rock Me.  11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omh4JmpYQTg
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:35:50 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1098 on: September 27, 2023, 08:34:45 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rare Earth- One World (1971) ***

Today's additon is an interesting LP of one of those successful rock bands that put a valid R&B stamp on their craft- Rare Earth. These guys still exist for the Casino Circut, and haven't made anything interesting in decades, but one would have to be amiss, not to at least give them some props for their contributions during the early 1970's.

And this is  almost orchestriaic conglomerate  of a band of no-names, as I counted close to 30 differeng lineups in their history. And kind of an anomoly in that this was  a white band that broke the top 20 in both the Rock and R & B charts.  That talent of versatility, though not a schtick or a novelty, did give them some nice airplay during the day.  They were like War, but had that more of mainstream feel to them. 

There is a streak of late '60's and early '70's anti American-ism and anti-war rhetoric in their music,  which to me is points off of the equation.  I understood the need to throw a number or two to be trendy with the time, but is some ways these guys over did it. I will let you be the judge of whether these guys have withstood the test of time.  Some good stuff, but filler too.

Fun Fact: This album wasn't converted to an available CD format until 2015.  Hmmmm.  that''s one vote on legacy I guess.

Side 1-

What'd I Say-  This Ray Charles number has been covered at least dozens of times, by many from different genres.  Rare Earth does a great job holding true to the R & B vibe, while infusing a really good rock fill.  What  a pleasant surprise- 2

If I die-  First installment on LP of Vietnam protest that falls flat.  Band focuses more on message than song- 8

The Seed- Gotz that Curtis Mayfield thing going.  Nothing really innovative besides that, and honestly, they can do better than mimicking Terry Kath's licks.  Good band, but you aren't Chicago. 6

I Just Want to Celebrate-  The band's most famous hit, and it is a fine one at that.  perfect blend of Funk, R & B, and hot rocking magic.  I'd bet 90% of the buying public bought this LP for it.  I know I did. 1

Side 2-
-------------

Someone To Love-  Maybe the more standard rocking numbers on the album- Strong one, with a decent hook line, and a jamming  that compliments the number well- 3

Any Man Can Be a Fool-  Pointless blend of Chicago and Strawberry Alarm Clark. Fillersville. 7

The Road- Decent one that is stangley unique to RE's sound.  Nice use of sync beats and with a funk edge. 5

Under God's Light- Bright Airy, pleasant one that kind of captured some of the religious stuff like some of what the Doobie Bro.'s did.  End does an especailly nice job of capturing the jam. I liked it.  4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQK6BZcaMAo

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 01:33:06 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1099 on: September 28, 2023, 05:53:59 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Yes- 90125 (1983) *****

There was a few moments in the early 1980's that there were a great many of us who felt that AOR rock was near dead.  Punk and new wave had infliltrated the rock air waves in massive amounts, and a lot of the old classics were seeming to fade into the night.  But...   with the inevitable ebb and flow of fads in rock music, one axiom lives on no matter what.  Great music, and great musicianship trumps all.  By 1980, it is pretty much universally accepted that Yes was in such a slump with Tomato and Drama.  No these weren't bad albums.  Yes didn't ever make a bad album, but I think we all know that this drop off ended up in at least their short term demise.  The great core of this band went on to other supergroups.  Some with success, some with less.

But something incredible happened in 1982.  The band regrouped and and hired a masterful songwriter named Trevor Babin.  I know I have sang his praises previously, but what he added and brought to this band is nothing less than breathtaking.  With 90125, a Yes album was produced unlike any other.  It included drastic stylistic changes, but not at the expense of masterful musicanship.  Pound per pound few if any bands are more talented than this one.  Babin went on with this level of excellence for serveral more.  As a guitaritst, he wasn't Steve Howe, but who else is, within the magic and legacy of this band.  But OTOH, the drop wasn't as bad as many thought.

And when it hit the airwaves, my circle of friends went crazy.  I had no less than 4 make it a point to make sure I had gotten a listen to this new and revitalized supergroup.  And what really I loved is that the base of the old band, like Squire and Anderson not only embraced the new sound, they rose to the occasipn giving some of their best perfromances in near a decade.  This is a hollywood story, where journeyman session guy finally gets recognized and becomes a superstar.

What is also special about this album is its level of consistence of excellence.  There are almost no weak moments.  Every cut has something to offer and add to the equation.

Fun Fact: Album name corresponds to it's Atlantic Record Catelog Number.  There were rumours of other sinister reasons back in the day, but all urban legend.

Side 1-
-------------

Owner of a Lonely Heart- Unique and powerful opening.  The use of funk in a proggish, rocking manner was an absolute genius stroke and move by Babin.  This song sounded unlike any other the band had created, and for a few die hards, they weren't pleased in what at that time seemed like a possible commerical sell out.  But in my opinion, it was the opposite.  This song and its ultra-interesting mix of style, and delivery just let the world know that this band was back-  2

Hold On-  To quell the purist concerns, the second entry provided a more tradtional, though rocking angle to the band's portfolio.  Sync rthymed allternating  with a bluesy tinge, was another spot on endeavor.  Off centered chorus at the line is a songwriting feat. 5

It Can Happen-  Originally, I wasn't too pleased with the sitar'ed opening and melodic center.  But in hindsight, the technological slant on this particular number was ingenious,  Solid Solid tune. 4

Changes- First example of Babin influences, with his African Xylophone electronic like semi-bass line.  Maybe a tad weaker on the whole of the LP, but still and excellent example of this band's great work.  This was not an easy compostion to perform to say the least. 8

Side 2-
-----------

Sinema- Interesting hard rocking instrumental that in a lot of ways plays into the next song,  Kind in a way like Foreplay leads into Long Time for Boston.  When listening to this albums these songs beyond in natural order. Don't mess with it (Hint to classic rock radio stations) 6

Leave It- Some of the best harmonies and unique songwriting in Yes' career. Fantastic blend of styles including rock, prog, funk, and even acapella.  A masterpiece, and a song with it's level of simplistic, but so complex, and powerful. 1

Our Song-  Even as the weakest tune on the LP, this is a technoloigical masterpiece.  No weakeness on this album, and just another reason this gets a well deserved 5 star rating. 9

City of Love-  FX laden good number that has that Big Generator feel to it.  Very complex song on so many levels.  More excellent harmonies, that are maybe the biggest halmarks of this one.  7

Hearts-  Album closes with a highly Anderson influenced song.  This great one rollicks along from the ethereal to heavy rocking, to a downrigtht Anderson like Spirtual voyage. (Early '70's like) 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJt_0yv49E
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 05:57:33 pm by catfish1957 »