Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 111046 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #975 on: March 25, 2023, 03:41:59 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Trapeze- Medusa (1970) ***

There was a period on the very very late 1960's  and early early 1970's that bands like Trapeze,  Humble Pie, and Free got a lot of justified airplay that took the bluezzz/hard rocking sound to the mainstream...   Well mainstream outside the legends, like Zep, Creme, others.  Today this  band is almost totally forgotten, but they put together some very competent albums in the day, that have actually aged pretty well.  Admittedly, some of the album you are about to hear, does have that "Spinal Tap" sound and feel, and it really captured the feel of rock and roll of the times.

Maybe the biggest claim to fame of Trapeze is that one of their founders Glenn Hughes went on to bigger things later with stints with Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.  Pretty impressive metal pedigree if you ask me.  And of course Trapeze was at its best musically and creatively during the Hughes era. Including this album.  Of course other members were not really slouches either as some did time with Judas Priets, and White Snake.

Yes, this is a good group, and a good album, but I really think that the collaboartion of the members did not have that oomph in songwriting pizazz that propelled them to household name status.  Even back then.  Now though, as stated earlier, I would guess that some of you have either  never heard of them, or at worst forgotten them.  Too bad, and after listening to this album, I think you will see why.

Fun Fact:  Album was under the Threshold Label.  Threshold?  Hmmm...  Like Threshold of a Dream.  Yes this was the Moody Blues label, and this particular album by Trapeze was produced by Moody Blues bassist John Lodge.  What the hell huh....    Yeah, the Moody's were that musically diverse and talented.  It also should be noted that Threshold supposedly almost signed Geneisis early on too.  Just think how that may have changed musical history.

Side 1-
-------------

Black Cloud-  Easily Trapeze's signature song, and an epic blues, rocker.  Great power chordal riffing that highlghted that time of about 1970.   Also has that signature raspy blues sound that you often got from (again...) Free and Humble Pie. Nice drum fills that kind of gets overlooked on it too.  No telling how big Trapeze could have become, if they could have captured what they did on this tune, and translated it into an entire album, with some diverse innovation.  1

Jury- Visions of Spinal Tap....  Subdued ballad beginning blending into mediocre Black Sabbath like repetitive chording.  All that was missing in this song was the 3 foot stonehenge.  Formulaic filler. 6

Your Love is Alright-  Good blues number with a touch of funk. Only complaint is that seem to be recycling some licks from Black Cloud.  I can see sometimes having some similarity of a few songs maybe a few albums apart.  But on the same side of the same album?   Come on guys, give the crowd a reason to say that all your stuff doesn't sound alike.   3

Side 2-
----------------

Touch My Life-  Band tries another approach that really has a southern rock blues feel.  Nothing spectacular, but I kind of liked it 5

Seafull- You knew the band would have to include one true blues number, and this was the one.  Vocals are awful, almost like a an off key Ian Gilligan. Don't know if was intentional, but not good one for the band's sound.  Blues riffing is decent, but not enough to redeem any songwriting quality of it.  Ugh.   7

Makes You Want to Cry- Sounds like they sampled the side melodic line from Come Together from the Beatles....   Which since this was almost the same time, I am floored they weren't  dissed for it. Decent song, but at least don't take full songwriting credit for it.  Does have some of Hughes best bass lines of the LP though. 4

Medusa- Starts and stops and starts as silly balladry, and maybe the worst thing 2-3 minutes Hughes ever put on vinyl.  Sound does start rocking, but again seems rehashed, but rocks like hell.  Kind of like the mythical Medusa, with many heads.  Some awesome, some suck. 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-h57LD15ow

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:19:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #976 on: March 27, 2023, 04:46:46 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger- (1975) ***

Now off the rails, yeah I am reviewing a Country album.  Not as much as if it is a country album, but this was the point in musical history where crossover began.  I will have to admit, that growing up, I had a pretty much a dislike of the twangy country that we were subjected to.  The musical purist in me could not find that much merit in substance with the genre that thrived on repetitive meter, but like with all music, a lot has to do with taste.  And I understand that, and that is no disresepct to you hard core Country fans.

But before digressing further.....

In 1975, a remarkable thing happened.  A voice, albeit an old one came up with a concept album that infused some soulful, and clean beautiful classical guitar that in many ways combined the charm and story telling of Guthrie, Dylan, with lick of a rough edged Jim Reeves.

And suddenly the outlaw movement was born, but none of the subsequent stuff  ever came as close of capturing the magic of this nice piece of work by Mr. Nelson.  Willie's ability go verberate his strings while infusing a intentional nasal vocal style was very endearinig, and made many of us to start understanding and recognizing our country, old west, and  Appalachian  roots that we had so many turned our backs on while embracing rock and roll.    I still occasionally listen to some C & W, but nothing since this has captured the imagination of the music industry.  It is timeless. 

I am not going to review tune by tune, as I mentioned earlier this is a concept album, that is really just a story that reads like an old west novel or movie.   Also listening to just one side is a diservice.  Album is a remarkable mix of hymns, covers, traditional old time tunes, and originals that are almost all worth a listen.   The entire C & W industry including Garth Brooks up to Taylor Swift  should Willie their lucky stars for resurrecting the genre in the 1970's.  This  is a fun album to relax to on a nice afternoon with a cold beer.

Fun Fact:  As ground breaking and iconic as Red Headed Stranger was, Nelson had three other albums that sold more.  Wayon and Wille, Stardust, and Always on my Mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fLJcJIKZc

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:17:20 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

« Reply #977 on: March 27, 2023, 07:59:25 pm »
Willie is in a category all his own, imho, @catfish1957 . I listen to c & w and most music except rap or opera.* Willie is a great lyricist. Although his voice isn't conventional by any means, it's pretty interesting and good to listen to.

I went to a Farm Aid concert that he sponsored that featured artists from a large spectrum of genres. Willie played along with every one of them. It was a 12 hour event and he put Jerry Lewis on his telethons to shame as far as keeping up,lol. I don't know if you have ever seen a picture of his guitar, but there is a hole worn in it.

*I'm not real good on heavy metal or a lot of the bands from the 80s...Rush, Yes, The Cars. I may like a song or two. My brother, the musician in our family, loves those groups. I'm sure I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the complexity of their music. But I still enjoy the reviews!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #978 on: March 27, 2023, 10:14:47 pm »
Willie is in a category all his own, imho, @catfish1957 . I listen to c & w and most music except rap or opera.* Willie is a great lyricist. Although his voice isn't conventional by any means, it's pretty interesting and good to listen to.

I went to a Farm Aid concert that he sponsored that featured artists from a large spectrum of genres. Willie played along with every one of them. It was a 12 hour event and he put Jerry Lewis on his telethons to shame as far as keeping up,lol. I don't know if you have ever seen a picture of his guitar, but there is a hole worn in it.

*I'm not real good on heavy metal or a lot of the bands from the 80s...Rush, Yes, The Cars. I may like a song or two. My brother, the musician in our family, loves those groups. I'm sure I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the complexity of their music. But I still enjoy the reviews!

Thanks....

Congratulations on being able to see Willie at Farm Aid.  Willie was truly able to assemble some of the most eclectric mixes of artists at his fund raising events. 

Willie does have that unmistaken voice that instantly harkens his persona, much like Elvis, and Michael Jackson did.    I do not listem or understand the C & W genre as much as many.  But I can recognize talent, and Mr. Nelson is up there in his arena.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #979 on: March 28, 2023, 02:13:50 am »
Thanks....

Congratulations on being able to see Willie at Farm Aid.  Willie was truly able to assemble some of the most eclectric mixes of artists at his fund raising events. 

Willie does have that unmistaken voice that instantly harkens his persona, much like Elvis, and Michael Jackson did.    I do not listem or understand the C & W genre as much as many.  But I can recognize talent, and Mr. Nelson is up there in his arena.

@catfish1957

It's not just the songs he wrote and recorded. He wrote a LOT of songs that were recorded and became hits by what were then "mainstream" singers.

"Crazy" by Patsy  Cline may be the most famous. I would be very surprised if it wasn't played today  on some radio station,somewhere.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #980 on: March 28, 2023, 10:48:53 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Synergy- Sequencer (1976) *** 1/2

Todays selection is really obscure and isolated to a pretty small population of audiophiles.  It also focused on more of the technological aspects of synth and how it changed music.  Synergy is Larry Fast, who was a pioneer of proliferation of synth as a media for music.  Obviously  he  was not the first.  Variations on the mellotron had been inclusive in some rock music as far back as mid 1960's Moody Blues and the Beatles.  Michael Pinder, and people like Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman took that concept, and used it on a prehistoric basis.  But when it came to taking the concept and then exponentially exploding it?  Here is the guy.

Fast was a true pioneer of creating electronic musicusing technology and innovation that had never been used before.  This blurb from his web site gives a good idea and run down of how he created the sound which as he describes as an 150 piece orchrestra.  He took his classical traiing, and really pre-historic like knowledge of computers, and changed music history.  These websites give excellent  details, and I really highly recommend reading before proceeding with a listen.

http://synergy-emusic.com/erro.html#ANSWERS%20TO%20THE%20MOST-ASKED%20QUESTIONS%20ABOUT%20THE%20EQUIPMENT%20USED:

http://synergy-emusic.com/sequencer.html

Well, his innovation peaked the interest of Rick Wakeman, and was hired to help with Yes' mastepiece Tales of Topographical Oceans. This allowed him to nab a record deal, and he made 11 albums, and the 1st 2 Actually cracked the Top 200.  Which was a pretty amazaing feat considering the narrow appeal of his work.   Of those 2, this is my favorite.  It takes a nice mix of some of his own compositions and some classical ones that are breathtakingly innovative for the time.  Don't forget this is from 1976, and predating the entire personal computer era. Sadly, Fast like many others have been forgotten for their contributions.  I hope this revives some interest and understanding of how and what some of the unsung pioneers did to make what music what it became.

Fun Fact: Fast did a 10 year stint with Peter Gabriel in playing and production for a chunk of his solo work. Others included Yes, Foreigner, Bonnie Tyler,  and Tony Levin

Side 1-

S-Scape-  The really highlight of the album, and Fast's own masterpiece.  The blend of all of his instrumentalization is truly an etheral experience.  I spent many a moment in College with the head phones on, absorbing the experience.  The fact these were generated computer sounds outside the norm of a straight mello was amazing.  This was an orchestra without players, and every bit as talented, tuned, and impactful as any other  philomonic moment  in  space.  Except with computers.  S-Scape really starts to shine at the 4:00 mark, with some truly crazy electronic blending and mixing. 1

Chateau- Another fine foray into electronic harpischord like 18th century feeling work.  Still another really good compostion.  5

Cybersports- Of course, more electronic wizardry of the highest order, though in compostion is one of the weaker ones on the LP 6

Classical Gas-  Everyone has heard this one on an accoustical guitar a million times, but Fast's version and take on the "classic" is really amazing.  Synth blends are impecciably crisp, precise and poignantly  strong.  4

Side 2-
--------------

Paradox (a)- Largo- New World Symphony-  Fast takes on the ambitious task of taking Dvorak's 1893 9th symphony, 2nd movement  and creates an astonishing amazing adaptation that just might give you goose bumps.  The symphonic geek in me just loves this. The electronic chimes veilly way in the background give a spooky feel of a church bell dozens of miles away.  Incredible piece of interpretation. 2

Paradox (b)- Icarus- Much more obscure of a piece at the time, and not much more added as content.  There are  other works on the album that are far more superior. 7

Sequencer 14- I'd play this one for my stoner friends back in the day, and they'd claim they had out of body experiences.   :silly:  In all seriousness this is electronic wizardry at its sci-fi best.  1976?  Damn!!!!  This is 15 minutes of an electronic trip of a lifetime. At least it did at the time.   3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bywvgMrEx4
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 12:08:39 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #981 on: March 28, 2023, 12:47:59 pm »
How powerful was the Trevor Rabin era in Yes?  I found this compliation (bootleg I guess) recently.   Have had it on loop for days now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrthdnsRYx4

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #982 on: March 28, 2023, 05:59:56 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger- (1975) ***

Now off the rails, yeah I am reviewing a Country album.  Not as much as if it is a country album, but this was the point in musical history where crossover began.  I will have to admit, that growing up, I had a pretty much a dislike of the twangy country that we were subjected to.  The musical purist in me could not find that much merit in substance with the genre that thrived on repetitive meter, but like with all music, a lot has to do with taste.  And I understand that, and that is no disresepct to you hard core Country fans.

But before digressing further.....

In 1975, a remarkable thing happened.  A voice, albeit an old one came up with a concept album that infused some soulful, and clean beautiful classical guitar that in many ways combined the charm and story telling of Guthrie, Dylan, with lick of a rough edged Jim Reeves.

And suddenly the outlaw movement was born, but none of the subsequent stuff  ever came as close of capturing the magic of this nice piece of work by Mr. Nelson.  Willie's ability go verberate his strings while infusing a intentional nasal vocal style was very endearinig, and made many of us to start understanding and recognizing our country, old west, and  Appalachian  roots that we had so many turned our backs on while embracing rock and roll.    I still occasionally listen to some C & W, but nothing since this has captured the imagination of the music industry.  It is timeless. 

I am not going to review tune by tune, as I mentioned earlier this is a concept album, that is really just a story that reads like an old west novel or movie.   Also listening to just one side is a diservice.  Album is a remarkable mix of hymns, covers, traditional old time tunes, and originals that are almost all worth a listen.   The entire C & W industry including Garth Brooks up to Taylor Swift  should Willie their lucky stars for resurrecting the genre in the 1970's.  This  is a fun album to relax to on a nice afternoon with a cold beer.

Fun Fact:  As ground breaking and iconic as Red Headed Stranger was, Nelson had three other albums that sold more.  Wayon and Wille, Stardust, and Always on my Mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fLJcJIKZc

@catfish1957

Just looking at the cover you posted, and my mind instantly just went into the lyrics, on autopilot,  "The red-headed stranger, from Blue Rock, Montana, rode into town one day..."
 :cool:
Willie Nelson is probably my biggest YouTube search, just the variety and catlogue alone are pretty staggering.
Seem him live more than a few times.
Think the last time I paid a whole 10 dollars to see him at the Ford Bend County fair, several years back.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #983 on: March 28, 2023, 06:16:16 pm »
@catfish1957

It's not just the songs he wrote and recorded. He wrote a LOT of songs that were recorded and became hits by what were then "mainstream" singers.

"Crazy" by Patsy  Cline may be the most famous. I would be very surprised if it wasn't played today  on some radio station,somewhere.

The 70's were a strange, wonderful time, for Texas music.
Willie and Waylon, the outlaw country movement, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jerry Jeff Walker, Gary P. Nunn, Townes VanZant, Etc, Etc,...
I could go on.
Bikers, Hippies, Rednecks, Cowboys, Plant workers, all getting together.
"Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" to be sure.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #984 on: March 30, 2023, 07:23:38 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Van Halen- Self Titled (1978) ** 1/2

I have always really liked Van Halen's music.  There is no underestimating EVH's guitar wizardry, and how it changed hard rock in the late 1970's.  I have been late to the game with a review, because as legendary as this band is, I always was disappointed that every one of their LP's was at least half filler.  Their great songs were great, but their covers, and secondary tunes, always seemed less than inspiring. VH did not make one entirely great album their entire career.  This is the eptitome, and kind of band that you always will come out better with one of their compliatons.  And of their two Greatest Hits efforts, I recommend the '04 version, as it contains a  comprehensive  review of their career. 

As everyone knows, the focal point of the band is EVH, and his absolutely revolutionary tapping and ultra fast neck work and solos.  I can honestly say that there is no one else who had sounded like EVH before or after.  His style was unique, and there was no doubt who was playing when a tune hit the radio.  The band also had a strong focus on the front man, who in their controversy spawned maybe the most voluminous debate in rock and roll history......  Dave or Sammy.  Personally I prefered Hagar, but VH's actual best albums I & II, featured Roth.  I think these first two were so different and innovative for the time, that they at least get the nod from me, for just pure rock and roll value alone.  By the 3rd album, I think their personas were interferring in the content.  They never were great songwriters, but I think the commerical aspects were adversly impacting the product.  And Roth was absolutely obnoxous in every respect.  To me a clown, that cheapened their brand. 

One of my biggest disppointments of the Hagar era, was that EVH did not allow Sammy to weld the ax.  Hagar was a great guitarist in his rights with Montrose and his solo days.  My guess that with a guitar in hand, and singing that Hagar might have gotten just a little too much spotlight square footage.   I don't have proof of that, but it was always my suspicion. And it did seem EVH has a pretty sizable ego.

With that, I am picking their first album to review, mostly just for innovation.   But again, a warning, once you get past the good stuff, the  rest is filler.  Sadly EVH passed in '20.  He was a guitar legend, especially to a new generation of rock fans  who saw Page, Clapton, and Beck as the "old guys"

Fun Fact:  In guitar terms, EVH was the ultimate loyalist.  As far as I know, I don't think he ever used anything else but Stratocasters and his own home made variatons of the Strat.

Side 1
-------------

Runnin' With the Devil-  One of the great VH tune's indeed.  His power chords and taps blasted this band onto the scene.  Enough decent harmoneis, and searing solos made this an intro to remember - 2

Eruption-  Maybe one of the most famous instrmental guitar runs of all time. And honestly the last time the rock community had gotten this excited about one partucular ax man's magic was a guy named Hendrix. 3

You Really Got Me-  Decent cover of the old Kinks tune- Crying searing guitar worked pretty well. 4

Ain't Talkin' About Love- Easily one of the top 3 VH tunes ever made.  Anthony was really never that great of a bassist, but in this one he nicely agument (and EVH's brother for that matter) a nice bass line that resulted in a great classic rock song.  Heavist and most rocking number on the LP- 1

I'm the One- I'm the One- Side one ends in pedestrian fashion.  Sure EVH's guitar sears, but not a good one for sure.  8

Side 2-
---------------

Jamie's Cryin'-  VH tries a little bit more of a blues slant, .....   nope.  9

Atomic Punk-  Wizardry, nothing else.  6

Feel Your Love Tonight- Sounds a lot a like of what was coming out of the AOR thing in the mid 1970's.  You can see that three songs in, that Side 2, has been pretty much been a waste of your $6 at the record store.  7

Little Dreamer- Yawn. 10

Ice Creme Man- Silly blues remake. ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!  11

On Fire- The best of Side 2,  which isn't saying much.   By this point, you realize the band had 3 or 4 really good songs, and the record company allowed the balance the filled with uninspiring shit.  Yeah, the VH hits were awesome, but by all means, get the compliation sets.  You won't regret that, versus buying any single LP or CD.  5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REtGa3L0XXg

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 05:02:19 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #985 on: March 30, 2023, 07:51:55 am »
I had one YES album... I wasn't much of a rock fan to be honest, but it got it's share of rotation. I thought the "Leave It" song was brilliant though.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #986 on: March 30, 2023, 12:14:06 pm »
I distinctly remember the first time I heard the debut VH album. The opening notes to Running with The Devil were life-changing.  happy77
Thanks for the review of their best album. VH II was next best  and after that, yuck.
Sammy is a better singer than DLR, but not nearly the showman. I saw VH in concert the summer of 1979. They were at their prime.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #987 on: March 30, 2023, 12:19:24 pm »
Loved VH in high school, and still like their stuff, but I have to admit that, in terms of vocals, I'm firmly in the DLR camp.  Never could get used to Hagar's voice in that context.  I will admit, though, that DLR was clearly a clown, and I can see how that behavior, and him getting too full of himself, destroyed the original chemistry of the band.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #988 on: March 30, 2023, 01:18:41 pm »
Oh, I think DLR was a much better fit (vocally) for what VH needed. But Sammy Hagar’s voice is better technically.
The release of that first Van Halen album pretty much put a stake in the heart of any leftover disco leanings. Good riddance!
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #989 on: March 30, 2023, 06:10:58 pm »
Know I have been on a Yes kick lately, but wanted to share a video that contained maybe the greatest colelction  of all the available members all at once in one video.  The reunion clip amazingly includes:

Anderson
Howe
Wakeman
Bruford
Rabin
Kaye
Squire
White

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzD4m17exRA&list=RDrzD4m17exRA&start_radio=1

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #990 on: April 02, 2023, 08:14:39 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Beethoven's 5th Symphony- Berlin Philharmonic - Herbert von Karajan Conductor (1966)

Okay, one last one off the rock and roll rails.  Today I am covering what in my opinion is the one greatest piece of music composed in human history. With the maestros of Mozart and Beethoven did  between 1770 and 1825 contianed the greatest half century classical work.

This particular piece is very special in that it is conducted and performed by the greats of the time too.  Karajan has been kind of scrubbed from history since he was a Nazi sympathizer. But there is no doubt, outside that, there was no one greater in at least recording history in interpreting the masters.  I hope when you watch these clips you clue into the concentration, the emotion, the intensity, and the full emuslsion of being part of what constitute the Borg in Star Trek Terms.  When all member are in full intonation with each other, it is truly like a collective.  For those who have experienced this, you know how powerful it is.

The Symphony is broken into four movements, each distinct in channeling Beethoven's genius.  I personally am not going to embarass myself and critique Beethoven for a a number of reasons. (1)  This work has been dissected, and analyzed many many times by expertise and knowledge of  far more knowledgeable than I.  Not in my pay grade some would say.  (2) Even though I have had symphonic experience in high school and college, there are things that are more complex and obtuse inducing for someone whose experience is just with band, say vs those in a professional orchestral setting. and (3) Listening to the 5th, 9th, and several other moving works I tend to hear something different and interpret it different every time.  A lot of it depends on mood and how deeply you immerse yourself into the listen.  I used to give the equalizer on my stereo a work out on my classical LP's.

I know this might be a sparsley visited reivew and clip, and some might just remember this stuff from Huntley and Brinkley (9th), or other of the famed works, but if I can just get one person to open their mind and again "immerse" their open audiophile synapses to this, I think it will be well worth it. 

Each clip below  corresponds to the 4 movements of the symphony.  Let me know what you think.  If  the 4th movement  gave you chills, I think you might have got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeXhtWIXOvo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7B_F7_wlpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5LINDpY8Qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmQ-IXVsG8E

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 08:21:37 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline berdie

« Reply #991 on: April 06, 2023, 08:31:23 pm »
Interesting review. It's one of the most recognizable pieces of classical music, imho. And very complex in composition. It's always been amazing to me that a person can hear the music in their head, translate it into musical scribe...and have it come out sounding like it does. Of course, this is true of all genres but most especially orchestral.

(Vivaldi fan here  :laugh:)

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #992 on: April 06, 2023, 09:03:20 pm »
Interesting review. It's one of the most recognizable pieces of classical music, imho. And very complex in composition. It's always been amazing to me that a person can hear the music in their head, translate it into musical scribe...and have it come out sounding like it does. Of course, this is true of all genres but most especially orchestral.

(Vivaldi fan here  :laugh:)

This and some of the similar compositiions are what I give people of what most some of the compellling proof of God.  The ability to extract from the randomness of neural patterns to be able to construct something this complex and beautiful could only take the divine intervention of a diety.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #993 on: April 10, 2023, 04:53:00 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds- 1966  ** 1/2

Today is a beloved classic album, that just from my POV, isn't in my wheelhouse.  Don't let my own personal rating fool you.  This is a masterfully written, performed, produced, and presented LP in the highest degree.  Production values as far ahead of their time of 1966.  Today in respect is a matter of taste over substance.  In the realm of rock, this is many ways a flawless album of those who are into this kind of music.  This is acknowldeged as some of the most epic pop made in the 1960's.  I will grant that.  Even in some circles there are some who feel that this is one of the first prog albums.  I can agree in concept, but not in sound or '60's meter. 

This album is also very important in that this was the first major salvo fired from our side of the pond vs. in what had been a Beatles/ Stones/ The Who driven British Invasion.  Though they were obviously substandard to the Beatles in song writing.  (Everyone was) they sure took production to an easy par.  Where they Brit boys did the Mod, these guys over here were formulating surfer music to a level of massive success.  Many seem to forget that The Beach  Boys predated the Beatles as far as making records by almost half a year. 

Again the hallmark of this album is creation of perfect pop melodies, and harmonies that are hauntingly pitiched perfect.  There are sounds made on this LP  that brought experimental variation, much and a lot how Sgt. Peppers did.  And if you view how the critics see this album, both again like I mentioned earlier are "universally loved" In many ways this one of the most hooked albums ever made too.  Which is why you hear so many of these on movie soundtracks.  This album massively screams mid 1960's.  And don't get me wrong either, there is a lot of complexity in the arrangements and orchestratizations that show this was a massively epic undertaking.  And it some respect, it was a one shot at immortality, as though The Beach Boys made very many more agressively ambitious albums, nothing ever came this close.

Fun Fact:  Critics and Fans initially apparently were puzzled by this off the wall and "so different" direction by the band. For a album considering by many as one of the 10 greatest ever made, it only peaked at #10 on the Billboard LP charts during '66

Side 1-
---------------

Wouldn't It Be Nice-  Maybe the most well known on the album, and by the band in general.  Pop Classic. 2

You Still Believe In Me- Harpischord and Music Box sounding Love Song that works well on many levels- 4

That's Not Me- More of he familiar fare of the BB's. Fabulous harmonies.  Don't really care for the song, but have to admire the talent in it though. 7

Dont Talk- Balladry in soft BB style.  More superior production, very nice orchestrations, If you are  like soft talented pop, this is it.  Me , no. (8-12)

I'm Waiting for the Day- See above (8-12)

Sloop John B-  Another very well known hit of their, and my favorite on the LP.  Incredibly hooked ditty that.  Very few in the day and since, have been able to pull off 3-part lead singing like this.  There are some sounds that they create in the bass line, I am not sure how was created.  This is one of those tunes, that get stuck in your head the rest of the day. 1

Side 2-
-------------

God Only Knows-   Almost Beatle sounding form the same era.  Full lush orchestratizations, and nonsensical after vocals that are familar on BB stuff. 5

I Know There's an Answer- Unique orchestrazations with almost sureeal sounding psychadelic underpinning, all supporting tradional BB pop. 6

Here Today- See above (part 2). Obviously not filler, but melodic talented niceties can be repetitive too. (8-12)

I Just Wasn't Made for These Times- See above (part 3).  I hope their fans realize this is not a diss, but unlike the Beatles, this stuff's "before my time" appeal just isn't there.  My kids say the same thing about some of my 1970's stuff. (8-12)

Pet Sounds- Title Track- Very interesting and experimental instrumental number that at times has that early 1960's feel.  Very contemporary sound that seems almost like what would be made if someone did a psychedelic number in about 1958-1960. 3

Caroline, No.- See above (part 4). Pleasant, but light on the innovative side versus the rest of the album. (8-12)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh_yhTyae08

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #994 on: April 10, 2023, 05:10:51 am »
The 70's were a strange, wonderful time, for Texas music.
Willie and Waylon, the outlaw country movement, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jerry Jeff Walker, Gary P. Nunn, Townes VanZant, Etc, Etc,...
I could go on.
Bikers, Hippies, Rednecks, Cowboys, Plant workers, all getting together.
"Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" to be sure.

Remember in either '79 or '80 making a trip to 6th Street for some music and saw a bad ass guitaritst that was doing some massive crazy ax blues work.    Didn't give it much thought to a friend of mine got an album of his  a few years later, and when I saw it, I remember telling  him....   I saw that dude .....   He sounded like Hendrix on stage. 

That's my SRV story.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #995 on: April 10, 2023, 05:22:29 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Beethoven's 5th Symphony- Berlin Philharmonic - Herbert von Karajan Conductor (1966)

Each clip below  corresponds to the 4 movements of the symphony.  Let me know what you think.  If  the 4th movement  gave you chills, I think you might have got it.

I have a folder (and it is not super stuffed full of songs like my other folders) of classical music... It perhaps has 200 songs and a few sub folders of music that I file in the "classical" but they often are soundtrack music and more modern instrumental music. I enjoy the music often because when I listen to music I like breathers between my more active songs. I find myself really loving the classics, but not so much that I can listen to it constantly. I like to make disks of music to listen to in my shed while I whittle away at some project, but I put a lot of classical songs and put the disk on random play. So one minute I am belting out an 80s song, the next I am soaking up a lovely violin section of a classic. It works for me... but to be honest, I had never heard the 4th movement of Beethoven before you posted it... It was ok, I just prefer the first movement I guess.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline LMAO

« Reply #996 on: April 10, 2023, 11:58:29 am »
Loved VH in high school, and still like their stuff, but I have to admit that, in terms of vocals, I'm firmly in the DLR camp.  Never could get used to Hagar's voice in that context.  I will admit, though, that DLR was clearly a clown, and I can see how that behavior, and him getting too full of himself, destroyed the original chemistry of the band.

My very first concert. They came to Duluth in 1979

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #997 on: April 12, 2023, 07:08:19 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- 1970  ****

Today we really put the classic in classic rock.  This goody is widely accepted as one of the greatest blues rock LP's of all time.  Though I only give this 4 stars, that is just I am not the blue-ist purist many others are.  From genre greatness, this is not only 5 stars, but the bar of all blues- rock play.  Many times I have lauded how much I enjoy the wailing, dueling guitars that peppered the rock landscape in the late 1960's to mid 1970's.  No one did this better than the tandem of Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.  What is also great about this collaboration is that Clapton allowed some southern rock infused infusion that just gave this album a magical feel.  Other members including Gordon, Dave Mason, Bobby Whitlock pretty much made this what was the configuation of a super group.  And of course this is Clapton in his prime.  And in true rock tragedy fashion this band only made this one album, due the loss of Duanne Allman to a motorcycle crash in 1971.

I have  a friend who is the ultimate blues enthusiast who gives reverence to this LP the same as Sargent Peppers in terms of how it changed landscape as far as how blues were presented in not only to a wider audience, but the same dual interplay that I will have to admit has not be replicated since. Yes Creme had Blues roots, but this one reached down in the heart and gave it it's voice.   Don't shoot me, but I always seem to enjoy blues in small doses.  But if there was one to get the full splash, this is the one.   And finally....  The song Layla, is among the greatest rock tunes ever made.  From the opening riff, and wailing dual jamming.....  Plus some of the most sorrowful searing beautiful instrumental balladry of the era.

As great as this album is, if Clapton had halved the effort and put the 7 or 8 best songs on one LP, he would have had an epic of the ages.  Back in 1970, there was kind of an Artist status symbol that if you were in that upper tier, you had or were given the "artistic" freedom to over-exubeate and show that off.  Maybe the most extreme I guess, was ELP's live album a few years later that was a "triple album"  So with the extended play, I will have to admit, there are a  select few on this I would move to the filler category. 

Fun Fact:  Bizarre- Album did not chart in the UK, until a re-issue in 2011.  I can remember way back, that even the lack of U.S. success was fan anger at Clapton for disbanding Creme.  Not sure, but that was the rumour. 

Side 1-
-------------

I looked Away- Excellent country tinged blues kind of rocker- Listener is treated not only to the Clapton-Allman duets, not only on the ax, but on vocals.  These two really clicked, not only on this one, but most of the rest of the album too.  Song does have kind of an Allman Brothers feel to it too.  5

Bell Botton Blues-  Widely known hit.  Not as big as you know who, but balladry of the highest order.  2

Keep On Growing-  Bo Diddley kind of number, with that sync -blues  style that also was seem often on AB's albums too  6

Nobody Knows When You Are Down and Out-  1920's remake and Bahluzzze.   This one is just for the those into that. 12

Side 2-
------------

I am Yours- Sap. and pointless.  Remember my comment about this double album being one album too long. 13

Any Day- Decent rocker, and another that harkens to more AB's style than Creme  8

Key To the Highway- Blues in Chicago style, and another cover.  Really like the inter-blues working between the two (Clapton-Allman)., but 9 minutes worth? 9

Side 3-
------------

Tell the Truth- One of the stronger rockers on the album that works the blues licks in some really nice ways. Love the way the guys almost sing over each other in well taylored manner.  This was innovative to be sure.- 7

Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad- Sped up rocking and blues based song, that harkens upward to a lot of how Clapton sounded in future work.  Some really good rock soloing, and the best bass work on either LP.  4

Have You Ever Loved a Woman-  Now for some deep crying in your beer blues.  Clapton really channels the old black Memphis blues sound like no one else this white.  But, I am at this point, about bluezed-out. 11

Side 4-
--------------

Little Wing- So eery that this was recorded within a few weeks of Hendrix' death.  I am sure that thought gave the band the heebie-jeebies.  Love this rendition, and its interpretation is so much more complicated and expansive than Hendrix's.  But leave it to Clapton to take a 2 minute song, and turn it into a 5 minute more grandiose product.  Both songs have their merit and I like them both for different reasons. 3

It's Too Late-  Nice homage and cover to Willis' 50's rockabilly-blues  10

Layla- I seriously doubt that if you are over 50, you have not heard this absolutel classic on the radio.  This is truly one of the greatest songs of that era, and epic on every level.  If you have never listened to this album, or heard of this tune, I strongly hope you will take a listen.  It defines the times.  This song has some of the best dualing guitar work ever made.  Also maybe the most famous song ever made around a love triangle too.  1

Thorn Tree in the Garden-  Album(s) end weakly with a Whitlock writtne and (yuk) sung number-  Sappy, crappy, and pointless.  Remember the awful guy singing on the stairs in Animal House?  You get the picture.  14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5Y9xvuCEU

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #998 on: April 13, 2023, 12:24:26 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- 1970  ****

Today we really put the classic in classic rock.  This goody is widely accepted as one of the greatest blues rock LP's of all time.  Though I only give this 4 stars, that is just I am not the blue-ist purist many others are.  From genre greatness, this is not only 5 stars, but the bar of all blues- rock play.  Many times I have lauded how much I enjoy the wailing, dueling guitars that peppered the rock landscape in the late 1960's to mid 1970's.  No one did this better than the tandem of Eric Clapton and Duane Allman.  What is also great about this collaboration is that Clapton allowed some southern rock infused infusion that just gave this album a magical feel.  Other members including Gordon, Dave Mason, Bobby Whitlock pretty much made this what was the configuation of a super group.  And of course this is Clapton in his prime.  And in true rock tragedy fashion this band only made this one album, due the loss of Duanne Allman to a motorcycle crash in 1971.

I have  a friend who is the ultimate blues enthusiast who gives reverence to this LP the same as Sargent Peppers in terms of how it changed landscape as far as how blues were presented in not only to a wider audience, but the same dual interplay that I will have to admit has not be replicated since. Yes Creme had Blues roots, but this one reached down in the heart and gave it it's voice.   Don't shoot me, but I always seem to enjoy blues in small doses.  But if there was one to get the full splash, this is the one.   And finally....  The song Layla, is among the greatest rock tunes ever made.  From the opening riff, and wailing dual jamming.....  Plus some of the most sorrowful searing beautiful instrumental balladry of the era.

As great as this album is, if Clapton had halved the effort and put the 7 or 8 best songs on one LP, he would have had an epic of the ages.  Back in 1970, there was kind of an Artist status symbol that if you were in that upper tier, you had or were given the "artistic" freedom to over-exubeate and show that off.  Maybe the most extreme I guess, was ELP's live album a few years later that was a "triple album"  So with the extended play, I will have to admit, there are a  select few on this I would move to the filler category. 

Fun Fact:  Bizarre- Album did not chart in the UK, until a re-issue in 2011.  I can remember way back, that even the lack of U.S. success was fan anger at Clapton for disbanding Creme.  Not sure, but that was the rumour. 

Side 1-
-------------

I looked Away- Excellent country tinged blues kind of rocker- Listener is treated not only to the Clapton-Allman duets, not only on the ax, but on vocals.  These two really clicked, not only on this one, but most of the rest of the album too.  Song does have kind of an Allman Brothers feel to it too.  5

Bell Botton Blues-  Widely known hit.  Not as big as you know who, but balladry of the highest order.  2

Keep On Growing-  Bo Diddley kind of number, with that sync -blues  style that also was seem often on AB's albums too  6

Nobody Knows When You Are Down and Out-  1920's remake and Bahluzzze.   This one is just for the those into that. 12

Side 2-
------------

I am Yours- Sap. and pointless.  Remember my comment about this double album being one album too long. 13

Any Day- Decent rocker, and another that harkens to more AB's style than Creme  8

Key To the Highway- Blues in Chicago style, and another cover.  Really like the inter-blues working between the two (Clapton-Allman)., but 9 minutes worth? 9

Side 3-
------------

Tell the Truth- One of the stronger rockers on the album that works the blues licks in some really nice ways. Love the way the guys almost sing over each other in well taylored manner.  This was innovative to be sure.- 7

Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad- Sped up rocking and blues based song, that harkens upward to a lot of how Clapton sounded in future work.  Some really good rock soloing, and the best bass work on either LP.  4

Have You Ever Loved a Woman-  Now for some deep crying in your beer blues.  Clapton really channels the old black Memphis blues sound like no one else this white.  But, I am at this point, about bluezed-out. 11

Side 4-
--------------

Little Wing- So eery that this was recorded within a few weeks of Hendrix' death.  I am sure that thought gave the band the heebie-jeebies.  Love this rendition, and its interpretation is so much more complicated and expansive than Hendrix's.  But leave it to Clapton to take a 2 minute song, and turn it into a 5 minute more grandiose product.  Both songs have their merit and I like them both for different reasons. 3

It's Too Late-  Nice homage and cover to Willis' 50's rockabilly-blues  10

Layla- I seriously doubt that if you are over 50, you have not heard this absolutel classic on the radio.  This is truly one of the greatest songs of that era, and epic on every level.  If you have never listened to this album, or heard of this tune, I strongly hope you will take a listen.  It defines the times.  This song has some of the best dualing guitar work ever made.  Also maybe the most famous song ever made around a love triangle too.  1

Thorn Tree in the Garden-  Album(s) end weakly with a Whitlock writtne and (yuk) sung number-  Sappy, crappy, and pointless.  Remember the awful guy singing on the stairs in Animal House?  You get the picture.  14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5Y9xvuCEU
Layla flopped at first which severely depressed Clapton who thought he had sure quick chart topper. It took about three years for the song to gain traction and become a classic.
The opening guitar riff might be the most well known/greatest guitar riff in rock history.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #999 on: April 13, 2023, 12:36:51 am »
Layla flopped at first which severely depressed Clapton who thought he had sure quick chart topper. It took about three years for the song to gain traction and become a classic.
The opening guitar riff might be the most well known/greatest guitar riff in rock history.

True comment on the opening riff.  Maybe only "Smoke On the Water" might be more well known.

Did you hear the same rumours back in the early '70's that  a lot of the flop was due to fan reaction and rebellion against Clapton for disbanding Creme?