Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 110897 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #850 on: February 04, 2023, 07:47:22 pm »
I always find myself fast-forwarding to the 6-minute mark of 'And You and I', and start listening from there.

lol.   Yeah, it definitely isn't for everyone.  Not a hint of blues influence anywhere in the first half of the album

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #851 on: February 04, 2023, 08:00:49 pm »
lol.   Yeah, it definitely isn't for everyone.  Not a hint of blues influence anywhere in the first half of the album

lol...

I am too damned hell bent as a purist while listening to a song  I about came to blows once years ago, when a buddy almost moved the needle on my turntable to the middle of "Kashmir" .

Oh hell no!!!!!   :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #852 on: February 04, 2023, 08:28:42 pm »
lol...

I am too damned hell bent as a purist while listening to a song  I about came to blows once years ago, when a buddy almost moved the needle on my turntable to the middle of "Kashmir" .

Oh hell no!!!!!   :cool:

I love Kashmir, but there's a small part of me that thinks it is just a bit too long, and that some parts are stretched a bit.

Same with Achilles Last Stand - fantastic and underrated Zeppelin tune, but maybe two minutes too long.

Of course, that's coming from a guy whose self-admitted favorite song is over 18 minutes long, so take it for what it's worth.   And 2112 is way up there for me as well, and I have no complaints about that length either.

So I could be way off here in both Kashmir and ALS.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:03:09 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #853 on: February 05, 2023, 04:12:07 pm »
Count me in, too.  I am fond of Drama, even though not a favorite of most YES fans, with Trevor Horn on vocals and Geoff Downs on keyboards.

Relayer is a damn fine album, as is Fragile.  Perpetual Change off their live album is exceptional.

@Hoodat
@Maj. Bill Martin

So true.  Funny thing about Yes, is their catalog is so extensive, so talented, I might have a different favorite on any given day.  Like lately, and I have stated before, I think the most beautiful sounding musical instrument on earth is a massive Church Organ.  And honestly, (and sadly) only Emerson and Wakeman used it to any level of effectiveness.  As I digress into .......

One one of my all time favorites by the maestros, might seem a tad obscure by some standards of Yes enthusiast, is Parallels from Going For the One in 1977.  The majestic organ opening, some of Squire's best bass lines since Roundabout, ultra-complex melodic structuring?    And at about 4:30 mark they make some remarkable music. At about the 4:30 mark, listen and including vocals, you will hear 6 specific melodic lines going on all at once into a mosaic that is remarkable..  Jaw dropping music making that harkens back the 17th-19th century masters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7ZSfyL0hU&list=RDsF7ZSfyL0hU&start_radio=1
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 04:13:48 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #854 on: February 05, 2023, 04:41:45 pm »
I've always like Parallels as well - my favorite song off that album, and much better than the jangly title track.  Song popped into my head just last week so I had Alexa play it while I was unloading the dishwasher.  Probably not how Yes imagined people would listen to it, but it made a tedious task a lot more enjoyable for me!

Wakeman's use of the pipe organ in St Giles-without-Cripplegate church in the "I Get Up, I Get Down" movement of "Close to the Edge" is mesmerizing.  It makes for a breathtaking transition. It completely resets the mood of the song with a moment of peace before the breakneck conclusion of Seasons of Man.

The organ starts here at a bit after the 12 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/51oPKLSuyQY

Apparently, Yes fans still show up at that church on occasion to see where Wakeman recorded that particular piece.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 05:02:32 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #855 on: February 05, 2023, 06:34:58 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Weezer - Self Titled (Blue Album)- 1994. ***

It's hard for me to pull myself out of prog mode, but I thought I would give some props to something a bit more modern.  By the mid-1990's at least from my perspective, it was getting harder and harder to find bands worth listening to. But that's not to say there weren't a few exceptions. Weezer met that bill.  If I would characerize Weezer, I'd say they are about 40% Alternative, 40% Grunge, 20% Punk (ish).  They came out just a little later than the Pumpkins, but shared a fuzz/distort sound that gave some nice uniqueness to their sound.  Rivers Cuomo is kind of the creative center of the band, and he admittedly has some pretty decent songwriting skills.  They spoke well for the plight of young guys in their late teens, much as I previously discussed with Blink.  Then add that "nerd" persona....  Schtick?  I will leave that opinion up to you.

The guys have made 15 studio albums, and from the research, I have found out that at least on the LP Charts (do they even call it that anymore?) , they are still seeing some decent success.  Still, their hay day was those first 4 or 5, which got tons of airplay.  And of those 4 or 5, none of them approached the excellence of their debut the self titled, which they call their Blue album.  This album has very little filler, and is rife with great songwriting, and has more hooks than a fishing tackle.  Nothing really supe remarkable in instrumental musicianship, but competent, and this is just good old fashion fun rock and roll.  Don't ever forget who produced this album....  Ric Ocasek.  It had to be a winner right out of the gate.

And last, I really like that the boys really try and intend to infuse some nostalgia into their lyriscm.  So much of that timeframe was "Our elders are shit" mentality, that I saw these guys as a breath of fresh air in our musical youth.

Track (Yes, post vinyl era)
-----------------

My Names is Jonas- After a very brief acoustical ditty, Weezer drops a Sabbath like barrage of riffs to introduce you to a new and unique sound.  Lyrics are nonsensical, and least from my POV.  Maybe Rivers and the guys had some kind of subliminal thoughts, but this is a tune to enjoy on mostly musical merit.  Though the album is a slightly light on redeeming instrumental wizardry, they do do some nice harmonica- guitar solo interplay at the end. 2

No One Else- Maybe the most punk inspired tune of the CD.  Hits at that evergreen topic of being 17 and being pissed off at your girlfriend.  Very good song, but maybe the weakest of a fine album. 10

The World Has Turned and Left Me Here-  Excellent use of phrasing and fuzz, while belting out a semi-ballade delving more into the lamentation of youth and unrequited love. The broad fuzz gives the song a nice lushness, and melancoly feel.  My oveall favorite of any Weezer Song.  1

Buddy Holly-  Their biggest commerical hit by far.  Everyone will recognize the song and the video which made them famous.  The video was ingenious bringing back some cast members of the sitcom. Happy Days, actual and filmage.  This cemented their status of giving hamage to nostalgia.  Fantastic song, but suprisingly not the best on the album.  I will have to hand it to them , Ocasek, and record company, this was maybe the greatest example of schtick promotion in the history of rock.  Did it ever work well, and it propelled their career. 4

Undone: The Sweater Song- Incredibly innovative song that uses spoken party wording and delves into metaphorical unraveling a sweater  as life event. Slowing rolling distort-fuzz almost comes across as a pseudo-bluzey thing.  Some nice solo work that nails the number at the end.  This is good stuff.  3

Surf Wax America- Fuzzo-punk number just for fun.  You just can't take the California out of some boys. 6

Say it A'int So- Slow number, with off-key workage.  Not in their wheelhouse.  9

In the Garage- For such a simplistic song, it is so powerful describing young guys having to deal with young life. Knowing these guys, I would bet this was a auto-biography.  As I re-review this album, I am recognizing that the guitar work is a lot better than I remember.  5

Holiday- Maybe the most mainstream sounding song on the LP.  Nothing special though,- 8

Only In Dreams-  Another love song/ ballad that doesn't really add to the feel of the album.  I am guessing they were wanting some level of versatility in the product, but too bad they didn't stick with the formula that made the earlier part of this album so great- 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNyd9zL44s
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:12:35 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #856 on: February 07, 2023, 04:31:19 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- AC-DC- High Voltage- (1976) ****

Probably the best way to describe this band is the band that they are the ultimate band of the lack of subtle.  Their blasting hard rocking 3 chords with Angus Young's wild searing Angus Young riffing, and Bon Scott's snearing vocals, (subsequent Brian  Johnson)  is unique in the rock world. There is no mistaking a classic AC-DC tune when you hear one of the huge magnitude of examples on Classic Rock stations.

I personally see the tragic loss of Bon Scott as the natural line of demarcation of old vs new AC-DC.  What is so phenomenal is that both sides of that time line are incredible.   As far as Aussie greatness, there is AC-DC, and everyone else far far far behind. From latter era, I have already reviewed "Back in Black", which is their best.  And their second best as far as I am concerned is from early in their collection......    High Voltage.  This is a very even consistent album, that is from a partying perspective, about as good as it gets.  It's got a rawness missing from Back in Black, but some energy, beyond compare.  If you have never watched one of their concerts, I have often contended that Angus Young basically runs the equivalancy of a Marathon after those two hour of rocking.  Plus at least in this early gem the boys stretch their blues dues nicely. 

High Voltage as advertised needs to listened to LOUD!!!!!!.....   And will totally immerse you into a blast of rock and roll that harkens Chuck Berry on 'roids.   And again beware of the sublety factor where this band has no problem getting into details around their reoccuring themes of sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.   And make no mistake, this is one of the most "filler-free" LP's you will find.

Side 1-
--------------

It's a Long Way to the Top-  I am admittedly a little prejudiced having Scottish ancestry, to admit that this is my all time favorite AC-DC number of all time   Maybe the only rock song to blast bag pipes into the equation.  Doesn't hurt matters either that this is a awesome rocking number either. Great message of their plight to get to where they got to that point.  The blaring pipes at the end, just blows me away.    Yeah!!!!!!!   1

Rock 'n Roll Singer- Another solid rocker, and more in the auto-bio form that this album screams track by track.  I laugh when adds at the end of one verse....   "And it pays well!!!!" These guys had a hell of sense of humour, and had no problem wearing what exactly what they saw and thought on their sleeves. 7

The Jack- Yaw Yaw Yaw....   Innuedo in the extreme with this super blusey number.  Never had a card game ever seem so enticing. As elementally rock centered as the bad always seemed, there was always a card to pull out of the deck, that showed this band was more versatile than they advertised. 4

Live Wire- Can't have High Voltage, without a Live Wire. More bio-ish fare with some great ax licks that Angus shreds in mad fashion.  "Stick this in your fuse box."  :silly:  5

Side 2-
---------

TNT- Maybe the most recognizable one on the album.  Gets a hell of lot or air play on Classic Rock.  There are legends that Bon Scott was quite a street brawler.  This song seems to help cement that appearance.  Great rocker, and party tune- 2

Can I Sit Next to You- Rockey/Blusey song that hits home.  The fact that this great song is may be the weakest of the whole album is amazing-  9

Little Lover- More very solid blues stuff.  So non-PC, geez only rappers could get away with these kind of lyrics nowadays.  Was the sure sign of times, but so entertaining.  8

She's Got Balls- Tune's self-explanitory.  But now a more rocking tone, but like I said earlier, subtlety was never in the band's lexicon. Seems the guys were enamored by assertive ladies.  Yeah, that;s the theme, and it works.  6

High Voltage- Interesting the bad used the end of the album as the title song.  I always thought that was interesting, and never understood why.  But in any case, it's electric standard 3 chord but like a 2X4 stuff, that gives a real rocking ending to the story.  Way under appreciated is some of the accompanying bass work, which nicley augment's Angus' solo stuff.  3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlyPORi_B7s

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:11:50 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #857 on: February 07, 2023, 08:03:24 pm »
If you're going to do something musically, commit to it 100% and don't hold back.  I think every truly great band did that.  I wouldn't call AC/DC a great band, but they were fun as hell because they were always authentic.

Never bought one of their albums, but I never changed the station when they came on.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #858 on: February 07, 2023, 08:26:39 pm »
If you're going to do something musically, commit to it 100% and don't hold back.  I think every truly great band did that.  I wouldn't call AC/DC a great band, but they were fun as hell because they were always authentic.

Never bought one of their albums, but I never changed the station when they came on.

I love the fact that they gave their audience exactly what they wanted. I agree with you, that from a musical aspect they sure weren't top tier., but they were damned good at the formula of what they excelled at, and maybe among the best at that aspect.    Sternum rattling 3 chord rock and roll, with enough riffing, to  demonstrate they weren't pikers either.

This is the ultimate Rocking Party band.  No cerebral or analysis needed or allowed.

:beer:

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #859 on: February 08, 2023, 02:32:03 am »
I'm thinking I'm going to do a Genesis next.  Probably Trespass, their real "Genesis" album that is sometimes overlooked.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #860 on: February 09, 2023, 01:50:40 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Roxy Music- For Your Pleasure- (1973) ***

Maj. Bill the other day got me thinking about the Eno-Bryan Ferry collaboration back in the early 1970's that was so far ahead of its time,  Roxy Music in any form or fashion, and there were several, would never be considered aesthetically for me as very fully listenable band. They made a few great songs per album, but an entire listen, would often be filled with more what I consider a brogadoccio exercise than a effort to plaease the listening public.  That said, I can think of very few bands that, especially in their early era that were so innovative and head of their time than this one.   Eno and Ferry really were the "Odd Couple", but it set so many precedents in style and gumption. 

Putting an exact genre on Roxy Music is impossible.  They spread out so evenly among so many types of music, that that said versatility, though so admired and documented, also is part of their demise.  This is the Eno-Ferry creative apex, and strangely, for me the first 50 or so of these reviews, I have covered albums that I loved or really liked.  My relationship with this one, is more like strong admiration. Be aware...  if you are a rock purist, some of this is not going to be listenable, but again that is part of the eclectric, innovative, and strangeness that often inflitrated Roxy Music's stuff.  Lot's of great ones, and some head scratchers often in tandem.

So keep an open mind, and realize the genius, and not as much on content.

Side 1-
-------------

Do The Strand-  My personal favorite on the LP.  Some of the best testicle squeezing sax every done on a rock album. Very catchy, very hooked, and great rocker.  1

Beauty Queen-  Ferry's influence and wants on album covers were pretty consistent.  Hot women scanilty clad, and sexy.  Of course it worked, but sometimes I think he took that musical aspects of his obsession with said hot women and it resulted in lesser music product.  Like this crooner, though so nice innovative musically quirkiness, .....meh. 6

Strictly Confidential- Though Ferry wrote all the songs, you can hear and feel Eno's influence on this one.  The flowing and intertwined melodic runs sounds more like his future abstract like work.  Not my kind of fare.  7

Editions of You-  More in the same vein as "The Strand"   Has that glam pre-punk feel to it Eno's synth work and sax works nicely. 2

In Every Dream Home is Heartache-  Now the ultra-macrbe strange-  Sounds like a Bowie meets Morrison exercise in the wierd.  As eery as the song sounds and presents, it is almost hypnotizing in its ability to work so many sounds and instrments in the background in most stangest manner.  Definitely an Eno experimental number. Latter part of songs works like traditonal rock, but whoa, you at this point have to remind yourself that this is a work from 1973.  Pretty groundbreaking if you ask me.  3

Side 2-
-------------

The Bogus Man- 10 minute entourage into more Roxy weirdness.  Song has an off beat, off-key jazzish touch, that is honestly mostly annoying.  Damned talented, but listenable?....   Not for me at least.  8

Grey Lagoons- Maybe the most tradional rocker on the LP.  Some rollicking keyboard sax work that almost harkens to some '50's jams.  Song morphs into a wild harmonica run, then into guitars.  They are showing off, that is no doubt.  But again, unless you are a big fan, ........ 4

For Your Pleasure-  Brit tinged number with stange FX that has a lot of innovative touches.  More of the same for those who love that ecletric Roxy sound. 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJjd6ahyyG4
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:10:48 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #861 on: February 09, 2023, 05:22:53 pm »
Great review!  I'm like you - I don't know how often I've made.it through an antire.Roxy album, but they're a great change of pace band in smaller doses.  Ways like it when they brought in woodwinds because they used them a bit differently than did most rock bands.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #862 on: February 09, 2023, 05:32:11 pm »
Great review!  I'm like you - I don't know how often I've made.it through an antire.Roxy album, but they're a great change of pace band in smaller doses.  Ways like it when they brought in woodwinds because they used them a bit differently than did most rock bands.

Thanks.....

I often really sway away from Greatest Hits collections because I think you lose content and continutiy in what the band wants to convey.  Kind of like piecing together several books for a read. Roxy Music is an exception, and this one is a really good one if you have to have one in your collection...

The 1st 1977 compliation of hits all the high points you really want to hear what this band has to offer.

Offline berdie

« Reply #863 on: February 09, 2023, 08:47:37 pm »
Great reviews, as always. I can't say I'm a huge Roxy fan. The only cd I have of theirs is Avalon. I really like that song. But, imho, they can become monotonous.

I am one of those that hasn't moved ahead with the times and still use a stereo and cd changer. Mine holds 100 cds. When I put it on shuffle it gives a great variety of music. Right now, Roxy is in the shuffle so it is pretty listenable. Of course, it's only useful when my back is feeling spiffy and I can bend over to turn everything on. :rolling:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #864 on: February 09, 2023, 09:07:24 pm »
Great reviews, as always. I can't say I'm a huge Roxy fan. The only cd I have of theirs is Avalon. I really like that song. But, imho, they can become monotonous.

I am one of those that hasn't moved ahead with the times and still use a stereo and cd changer. Mine holds 100 cds. When I put it on shuffle it gives a great variety of music. Right now, Roxy is in the shuffle so it is pretty listenable. Of course, it's only useful when my back is feeling spiffy and I can bend over to turn everything on. :rolling:

Thank you.  Roxy Music is one of handful that I consider the best way to listen is via a compliation set.  What still is remarkable is how ahead of their time they sounded.  Almost a precursor to Bowie (maybe same time), T-Rex. and the Cars.

What I thought was kind of interesting, with reading of late is that Bryan Ferry is now a conservative voice in the U.K.  Pretty strange in this day in age.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #865 on: February 09, 2023, 10:33:06 pm »

I'm in the process of reconstituting
My vinyl collection after my wife got me a turntable last year.   The process of re-examing my musical tastes in that process is illuminating.   

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #866 on: February 10, 2023, 01:04:44 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Grand Funk Railroad- Closer to Home (1970) ***

Back in the day, and in their era, Grand Funk Railroad, which in the rock world became simply just Grand Funk, was about the biggest band on this side of the pond from 1969-1974.  7 consecutive charting Top 10 LP's, and breaking Beatles records for concert attendance were some of the highlight of this band that dominated the airwaves in the early 1970's.  Mark, Don, and Mel used a soulful, blues based hard rocked edge sound that resulted in long and jamming pieces  on their LP's.  Their sound got increasingly more keyboard focused in the lattter part of their domination timeframe. For the better?  IMHO...No. 

How big also were Grand Funk at Capitol?   They were one of very select few that were allowed to pretty much control via their own artisitc efforts, along with their legendary producer Terry Knight.   They were so much so, they were also one of the first that were allowed album art and configuation gimmickry.  Remember the Coined shaped E-Pluribus Funk nonsense,  the Gold *yellow" colored "We are an American Band", and the 3-D glasses that cut out of the "Shinin' On" LP?  Yeah, Grand Funk had pretty much control of their destiny, and at least the first half of their career,  put out a some  pretty inspiring works.

I decided to choose "Closer to Home", in that it has the most consistency, though their are GF LP's that had songs that I liked better.   The highlight of album is "I'm Your Captain".  With its excessive length, it of course didn't get the full album airplay, and  the shorter 45 version did an absolute dis-service to the tune.  Closer to Home also seems to contain tighter jams that were hallmarks of this band in the day.  Before I remember buying this LP, I remember getting to hear the long version on Beaker Street, and was always a joy.

Then, there was the post Knight era, when GF started their rapid decline into the silliness straying from the working formula by putting out  junk like Locomotion remakes, and crap like "Some Kind of Wonderful".   It was a great ride for them, and I guess it had to end at some point.  I think the guys in their caskets in the 1976 crap "Born to Die" was as about as a cruel ironic symbology  as anything.  I guess the final message to their loyal fans was....... Funk You.

But this is a good and entertaining album, and has some solid blues numbers that are very tight, for 1970 hard rock standards-

Side 1-
---------------

Sin's a Good Man's Brother-  Solid opening, with a little ax/bass line fuzz .  Solid, run of the mill blusey GF stuff.  Song has that late '60's repetitive riff trend, and some of Mel's best bass work.  Since there were only 3 on the LP, there is some obvious guitar over-dubbing by Knight, so that signature early '70's dueling guitar was there without the personnel. 2

Aimless Lady- Equally blusey, but taken down a bit of notch.  Kind of balladry-ish, More solid bass line.  Overall, decent, but not one of the better cuts on the album. 6

Nothing is the Same- Have to disagree.  This song contains same meter, and feel as most of the rest of the album.  Some decent jams at the end, but  better songs to follow. 7

Mean Mistreater -  Well known in concert circuit.  Sad blues number that works nicely as a change of pace.    Some nice  blues keyboard highlight one of the more listenable songs.  5

Get it Together- Love how this one follows up with same meter, and in fact, you'd swear it is a continuaton of Mean Mistreater, and  how midterm in the song the tone gives an overall more upbeat vibe., almost in an epiphananiel manner.  Nice drum/bass/organ, and yes guitar runs highlight. I think the success of these two tunes are the reason GF later became more keyboard concentric. 4

Side 2-
--------------

I Don't Have to Sing the Blues-  Side 2 continues to use blues leveled themes, but to less success.  "She rolls over on her back"?  Come on guys......  Even by 1970 standards?.......  8

Hooked on Love- Maybe the most hard core blues number, with some solid riffing. Even though GF was always considered a hard rock/blues based band, you've realize this is the one they really gave that genre the most homage.  And on most levels it works well. 5

I'm Your Captain-  Previously, I think I have mentioned, I generally do not like songs that are mostly into story telling, but I have to admit this admit this is a great exception.  For 10 solid minutes Mark, Don, and Mel take you out on the high seas, with some very nice melodic guitar work, that is nothing like they did before or after.  This is still a very enjoyable listen even 53 years later- 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfWPFuikaS0
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:10:14 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #867 on: February 10, 2023, 01:26:43 pm »
I'm in the process of reconstituting
My vinyl collection after my wife got me a turntable last year.   The process of re-examing my musical tastes in that process is illuminating.

I can remember at about age 20, my stereo system constituted about a 1/3 of my net worth.  That was how much an audio-phile I was.  As I've aged, I've noticed that the differences in a $5000 system and $500 one are a massive diminishing return of investment. Still,music is best not heard on cheap junk.   

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #868 on: February 10, 2023, 05:52:49 pm »
Bonus Classic Rock Album of the Day- Journey- Infinity (1978) *** 1/2

A few reviews ago, we had a discussion about how one member of a group can hijack a band into oblivion.  Yeah, that ass hole was Dennis DeYoung of Styx.  This band is another example, but hilariously the band in this case got the last laugh.   That band is Journey.  Journey, was a good hard rocking band that had 3 so so albums that barely charted from '75-'77.  They had a shredder in the name of Neil Schon, who had great tutorledge under the eye of Carlos Santana.  These three albums had some good content, but was just missing that slight edge.....   A distinctive voice, and a more public friendly songwriting angle.  Enter 1978-  Steve Perry.

Perry with his high voice, gave the band their big break.  Infinity became Journey's most successful and best seller to that point.  At from my POV, this and the following album - Evolution, are near great. 

With these two albums, Journey hit the sweet spot of a rocking edge, Perry's voice, and some apparently solid songrwriting chops.  Several really good tunes on this album.  But then the disaster:

Steve Perry wrestled artistic control of the group, and made them a rocking pop band for the following wildy successful 4 albums.  Sadly, with that success Journey became more of a band beloved by teenaged girls than their  prior customer base.  By the time Perry left the band in '86, I despised what he had done to the product and to the band itself.  What made it worse, was the level of finger pointing that took place after the band disbanded.  Perry laughingly blamed his bandmates, when everyone on earth knew who the culprit was. 

Funny point, and what makes the story different from Styx, is that Journey basically found a clone who sounded more like Perry than Perry himself.  Nothing like getting the last laugh, revenge, and the band did have a couple of top 10 charting LP's afterward.   Good for them.

But on to Infinity.  I could have picked this or Evolution as the creme of that era of the golden age of Journey.  Both are very good.

Side 1-

Lights-  The world is introducted to Steve Perry with this light hearted rocker that is well hooked, and a solid harmony line, and Schon soloing.  3

Feeling that Way / Anytime-  On this album this is two songs, but it SHOULD NEVER be played separately.  They are like a neopolitan ice creme.  You just don't separate the three out of respect.  Starts as a semi-crooning Perry/Rolle duo, that mediun pleasant rocker that abruptly blends and shreds into Anytime, which in the Journey catalog is their expedtion into bad ass Chaos.   The melodic cruch of all the instruments at the end of this one is epic, and my favorite moment in the entire Journey collection.  1

La do da- A rocker in the old tradition of Journey that I guess Perry didn't get his grubby hands on.  He sings it, but as in the nonsensical lyrical aspects of the song.  This is more a song about flexing the axes than the song's meaning.  Machine Gun sounds and Schon blaring his stuff, make this a top notch addtion to the LP.  4

Patiently-  Geez, first taste of crappy Perry crooning-  Sadly, this shit would be what Journey would be about in 3 years.  9

Side 2-
------------

Wheel in the Sky-  Another highy played and memorable number from this excellent in the album.   Not only a staple on Classic Rock radio, but powerhouse of where Perry's voice actually worked and augmented well in the band's repitoire.  If they had stayed this course, just think how well this band would have kept its legacy, and not sold out- 2

Something to Hide-  Lesser fare and more Perry's influence that at least gets some Schon guitar work by mid to late song.  Not a memorable one in the grand scheme of Journey's list of tunes. 6

Winds of March-  Ditto, minus the Gibson tool. 7

Can Do- Just when you were about to give up, the bandmates come to the rescue, and  come back with a number that harkens back to some what Journey was doing in 1975. 5

Opened the Door-  More like closed it with a thud. More inane Perry slush.  I estimate Perry contributed about 40% of the content.  Too bad he just didn't sing, and had shut up about the balladry.   8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVsggMhoT0

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:09:46 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #869 on: February 11, 2023, 03:42:47 am »
One can never have enough Grand Funk Railroad.

Gimme Shelter

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #870 on: February 11, 2023, 03:44:02 am »
One can never have enough Grand Funk Railroad.

Gimme Shelter

Great cover of that song. And Mark sings much better than Mick.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #871 on: February 11, 2023, 08:12:06 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Metallica- Black Album (1991) ** 1/2

Let me first start with a statement around Heavy Heavy Metal.....   This is music and fare that has had a mass appeal to 15 year old boys.  It was no accident that Mike Judge used Metallica on the T shirt on Beavis and Butthead.  So by being in my mid 30's at the onset of Metallica, I was not in their target audience, nor was I a fan.  So I am going to do my best to review this on merit and put myself in the mindset of 1972, like when I was listening to Black Sabbath Volume IV or Paranoid at the time.  At least for the modern metal genre, the Black Album is the considered the quintessential LP of the era.  Yes. like Sabbath they nicely exploit the 3 or 4 chord repitito-distoro-phrasing into a head buzzing blast.  They also blend solos in fantastically, taking a big page out of Iron Maiden's and Judas Priest's playbook.   

One particular thing about Metallica music, is in same ways it is so much more forboding and depressing than in the Sabbath era.  Plus let's not forget that production and technology is and was a lot more advance in 1991 than in 1972.  Where Metallica was into despair and anger, Black Sabbath focused more on religion, philosphy, and mind altering subjects of the day.  But really from a musical angle, they are really more alike than different.  While Sabbath invented the genre, Metallica defnintiely redefined it for new generation, and  impact?  This band had 6 consecutive No. 1 charting albums.  Not sure where that sits in the record books, but......

Another fact about Metallica is that they are not one dimensional, some of their balladry has some nice melodic value interwoven into the gut busting metal pile driver.  If there are Briefers who are big Metallica fans, I'd sure like to hear your perspective.  There may be more to the formula than I am hearing.  But for me, after listening to an hour of Hetfield's growling,  I think I 'll put on a prog album to disinfect my musical palate.

Fun Fact:  And one that seems to get lost in the heavy metal history is that Dave Mustaine, huge of Megadeath fame, was an early member of Metallica.  I know most of the hard core fans know that, but as time passes, we easily forget the etymology of how music progresses.  The band had fired him before recording first album, but I undestand there are demos out there that have his contributions.

Track (again post vinyl)
-----------------------------

Enter Sandman-  BAM!!!!!  Right out the chute, an epic, and maybe one of their most epic numbers.  Opening of the song is famously used at sporting events to infer intimidation on an opponent.  Heavy Bass/ Guitar syncopation is way way catchy....Really like this tune.  Best on an overall solid album- 1

Sad But True-  The bombardment continues- 90% of the song is one repititve riff, to the delight of those 15 year olds like Butthead. 5

Holier Than Thou-  Almost Judas Priest sounding riffing, Almost could be Breaking the Law.....  Breaking the Law....  on this one.  Docked a few points for that lack of innovation- 11

The Unforgiven-  Maybe the most headscratching number on the CD.  Song has this old west flavor that works nicely.  The accoustal guitar working in the lighter moments is a nice touch.  Hammett adds some nice solo work too.  3

Wherever I May Roam-  Another Spaghetti like Western tinged classic at the onset.  Crunch Crunch Crunch.  Repetitive riffing again, and a good reason why Metallica may be the most garage band covered stuff of the past 30-40 years.  No doubt it makes the target audience swing their hooked fingers up and down in glee....  And more power to them. 4

Don't Tread on Me-  Who else can etch a West Side Story ditty into a blasting metal number?  Overall though, one of the more mediocre tunes on the CD.   Too bad, because this title and song could really be  a Conservative Sloganed tune with some amendment...... 6

Nothing Else Matters-  Very famous melodic, and slow ballad by this band.  First the negative....  Why write a song focusing on some much despair, sadness, and hopelessness. And being heard by an age group who may be the most vulnerable.   Musically the strongest song on the album, and has one of the greatest and powerful guitar solos in the 1990's.  That solo alone is worth the price of admission on this song. 2

Of Wolf and Man- BAM!!! BAM!!! BAM!!! More of the same.  Anyone have a headache yet? 8

The God That Failed- Bass s more centered, focused,  and featured on this one. I don't think any one band made more money on Anger than Metallica.  A jaded one might call that exploitation. Nothing addtionally special about this one. 7

My Friend of Misery- After hearing some really solid songs earlier, one would seem to think that the band may be exhibiting a creative fade and fatigue by albums end.  LIke the prior....   Standard fare, and nothing new or noticable. 10

The Struggle Within- Another that has Judas Priest like phrasing, and tonal guitar. I hope everyone is noticing the trend of song names.  A    Honestly, the struggle for me was getting through. the past 3.  Yeah, the guitar wizardry is pretty impressive, but for at least for some of us old folks...  It's kind of repetitively boring. 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyxWnjb96s

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:09:08 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #872 on: February 11, 2023, 10:13:05 pm »
I respect Metallica because the have worked their butts off to get where they are.  Supposedly, one of the hardest working, most professional bands in the business even after all their success.  But there's just a sameness to a lot of their music that means I'm done after one or two songs. Hetfields pretty undistinguished vocals don't help. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #873 on: February 12, 2023, 04:46:34 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  The Moody Blues- Days of Future Passed - (1967) **** 1/2

We've had great discussions about the early days of Prog, and including trying to dissect when and where it was born.  About a half dozen examples could be thrown out there.   This is my actual pick.  The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed was released in November 1967- less than 6 months after Sgt. Peppers.  I might get into blaspheme territory, but in several ways The Moody Blues were better than the Beatles.  Especially in musicianship.  They in true prog fashion had compostions that were more lush, more complex, and intricate too.  But of course, the Moody's did not have that cultural entrenchment and absolute ability of ultra-masterful songwriting.  And for that the Beatles were the iconic, among the iconic.

I know I had previously reviewed 7th Sojourn. From a standard album oriented rock perspective, it has a better form for listening,  and traditonal structure.  OTOH,  Days of Future Passed is a better listen for me.  But it isn't everyone's kind of album.  Those of us with symphonic background might have a bit  more appreciation of the work.  Those who don't like that kind of sound, are probably going to be turned off by 30% of this record's content.  But make no mistake, this band was among the most innovative in the 1960's.  Want to know the guy who first  used synthesizers? , via a modified Mellortron?  That'd be Michael Pinder of this band.  And voice...  You'd be hard pressed to find anyone better than Justin Hayward and his full lush and expansive voice on this one, and subsequent works. 

What also makes this such a compelling listen, is how this band meshes so many '60's styles and orchestrations into a beautiful mosaic that also makes it not only one of the first prog albums, but also one of the first concept albums.  They out played the Beatles, They out psychedelic-ed the Beatles, and in a few cuts even out rocked the Stones.   How and why this band was so sadly forgotten and overlooked for their contributions, is a crime.   Don't believe me?  Give this one a listen, and don't lose site that this is 1967.  And the fact that IMO their greatest works...   This one and 7th Sojourn function as creative bookends of who are among the greatest pioneers of prog.

Fun Fact:  This was among the last standard rock albums available in Mono, and I understand those are to collectors, quite valuable.

Side 1-
---------

The Day Begins- (The Day Begins)-  Excellent orchestral performance by the London Festival Orchestra, with a poetic closing by Pinder, and his great speaking voice.  If you bought this album in 1967, you'd thought you'd first be thinking you secured a classical album.  I like it. 8

Dawn: Dawn is a Feeling-  By now, you are even wondering if this is even a rock album.  Dawn is a pleasant and talented effort by the band to lull the listener to think they've gone from classical  to contempary. Don't worry, its getting to ready to get fun....... 9

The Morning:  Another Morning-  The Song has a soft light feel early in, with a signature '60's style and feel.  But with the harmonies infused, and so emcompasive interludes between the light sets of stanzas ?  You know these guys are toying with their styles to immerse the listener into their world of innovation. 7

Lunch Break:  Peak Hour-  Really bizarre and beauftiful.   The band and its accompanyiing start a contempary almost Gerschwin sounding work, and then half way through the tune.....   BANG.....   Rock and Roll.  Like a sledgehammer.   In Rolling Stones '60's fashion ----  PEAK HOUR!!!!  Melletron behind the scene steals the show.  Great Hayward-Lodge soloing at the end too.  5

Side 2-
--------------------

The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?) / Time To Get Away-  Mainstay on the Moody's play list.  Beautiful Hayward singing, and concert hall filling instrumentals make this a classic. Songs like this one and others, make this a great relaxation album if in the mood.  No one rocks out 100% of the time.  6

The second movement of this work, Time to Get Away-  Tuesday afternoon morphs into this masterpiece of songwriitng prowess.  Pinder's mellotron work on this is ground breaking.  What fascinates me, at least from my perspective is how the listener was lulled into the album by orchestratizations, and hypnotized into a gradually building prog masterpiece.  Did I mention Pinder's mellotron work?  I know I did, but hearing this in its essence in 1967, continues to  amaze me.  There are things I heard this round, that I hadn't noticed in the past.  Great works will do that.  3

Evening: The Sunset:Twilight Time-  More nice orchestrations, and Ray Thomas flute work highlight.  Mysterious tempo , and percussion, just throw the listeners into showing how that band has that level of versatility rarely seen in rock.  Especially in damned 1967. 2

Twilight Time, the second movement of this track, is my favorite moment on the album.  This is the few moments of the album, that allows the band to let all hell break loose.  Please listen to how the band phases and intertwines their harmonies into a tsunami of sound.  In many ways this is one of the Moody's finest moments, and for some reason they didn't replicate what has that hard sinister, but lush beautiful sound- 1

The Night: Nights in White Satin-  The hit on the LP.  And deserves those accolades. If you have any background in listenng to rock music, you will easily recognize it.  It put them on the map, and the song that introduced the world to the mellotron. Spooky...., especially with the poetic ending and punctuatated by Pinder.  Sadly the listening audience weren't provided that treat, and it accenuated the true prog and concept aspects of "A Day" 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZCzH8q1hcY
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:08:37 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #874 on: February 13, 2023, 03:26:51 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Nirvana- Nevermind (1991) **

Part of this process, I have pretty much stuck with albums that I have loved, or at least really liked.  Now, in the interest of keeping integrity with that process, I have to diverge to the flip side a tiny bit.  But first, a little history of evolution of Rock and Roll, which has been a lot of its charm as it has morphed generationally.  Of course some of these trends overlapped genre wise, but this is a semi-chronological 20th century approximate run down of its metamorphous

1956- Pre-history- Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis
1964- Beatlemania
1967- Sgt. Peppers- Psychodelia
1968- Hendrix revolutionizes how guitar into fuzz and feedback are incorporated into rock music.
1968- Hard Rock, Blues Infused- Yardbirds, Clapton, Led Zeppelin
1969- Singer- Songwriter bastardization from post Byrds area- Van Morrison, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, C, S, & N
1970- Black Sabbath creates Heavy Metal, soon incuding Deep Purple, and Judas Priest
1970- Progressive Rock- King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and Pink Floyd
1972- Shock, Glam- Alice Cooper, Bowie, Stooges, and soon afterwards- Kiss
1975- Punk- Ramones, Sex Pistols, and soon afterwards Clash
1976- AOR domination- Van Halen, Boston, Styx, others.
1979- New Wave- Cars, Police, Talking Heads
1982- The decline starts- Alternative, and somehwat directionless.  Rap, Pop, and Dance start easing rock right off the charts. .  Many other bands from prior eras continue, but it all seems almost in nostalgia.
1990- Grunge - Bands like Nirvanna, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains
1996- Era of the Alpha Numeric Rock Bands- Blink 182, Sum 41, 3 Doors Down, Matchbox 20, and a host of others.

I know you might think I am going through some unnecessary detail to history that  is not needed, but the point I am bringing up, and sorry if sounds disrespectful, is that  the time frame  I've bolded, who I call the Nickleback Gen.s  almost killed Rock and Roll.  Grunge as a genre, was about the most useless, pointless, uninspired, and unimagniative stuff every made in rock and roll.  To me this was alll almost jokingly contrived by M-TV punking the music world.  I know there are going to be many Gen X's out there wanting to flame me, but.....   I challenge you to provide a rebuttal of how this musical genre has really added anything to the equation.

Band of course centers around he tortured and enigmantic Kurt Cobain, who sadly ended his life a few years into his band's success.  Most entire album is a mindless  numbing buzz punk repititon fest.   They make Cobain sound like a poet laureate, but I am sorry.....   many of us had better poetry in High School.   And IMO, their latter drummer Dave Grohl, actually had better music with his band later on with the Foo Fighters. 

Case in point, and hating to sound petty, but if this band and this album is considered your Sargent Pepper's moment.  Help us. 

Fun Fact:  To put Nirvanna's brief career in perspective....   The bands 3 studio albums has had almost 5X the unit sales that Grohl's Foo Fighters has had over 10.

Here goes.....I'll try to keep it as positive as I can.......

Track-
------------

Smells Like Teen Spirit-  Mentioned earlier-  Pivotal Band, Pivotal Album, and now pivotal song of an entire generation-  Hooky song, with a screaming Cobain, and one repetitive riff.  Let me put it this way.  Wierd Al Yankovic has parodied 100's of songs famously, but I always considered this one that he most most disrespectfully copied.  Rightfully so.  Still one of the best of this over-rated, over hyped so called classic. 2

In Bloom- In the 1990's seems every other rock song sounded exactly like this. I am hoping and guessing that Cobain sang off-key on purpose?  And Cobain the philopsher?   **nononono*  7

Come as You Are- The fact this was the 2nd highest charting song on this CD, is really head scratching. Maybe less offensive than others, but......  Crap, I have to sit through nine more these don't I?  3

Breed- Please Don't. 8

Lithium- Actually one of the only  decent cuts, I do like how the band works the buzz punk pretty effectively into an innovative way.  Still not great, and numbingly repeititve.  1

Polly- More nonsensical shit from Cobain- I feel sorry for the 50,000 garage bands that didn't make it.  This is proof.  11

Territorial Pissings- '60's diss?  No....More like Punk Blather of no redeeming musical quality.  They sound  like a shitty Sex Pistols cover band on this one. When I think of Territorial Pissings I think of dogs pissing on trees, marking it theirs.  Pretty apt analogy to this crap.   10

Drain You- The bright side, is I only have to listen to 4 more. To me this is an album of half filler, and half noise. 7

Lounge Act- I'll say and share the obvious.  This is about as far as Nirvanna should have reached as far as success.  I sure wish I could write somethig about a decent song. At least something, this is almost torture. 6

Stay Away- Showed some decent punk chops at first, and then Cobain opened his mouth.  I don't think I have ever heard an album that every song was sang so out of tune.  I know that might be his schtick, but its damned annoying to me. Meh thinks maybe Nirvanna should have been an instrumental punk band. 5

On a Plain- Even though the tiring repetitive phrasing is driving me crazy, this one is one of the lesser offensive tunes of this wretched classic. Some decent melodic workings- 4

Something in the Way-  888mouth. 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfriOyeWN0

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:08:04 pm by catfish1957 »