Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 132646 times)

Timber Rattler and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #500 on: February 07, 2022, 12:34:47 am »
1984  -  U2

Pride (Live)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #501 on: February 07, 2022, 12:39:54 am »
Billy Idol

Rebel Yell (Live, '84)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #502 on: February 07, 2022, 09:01:24 am »
May 1985 List

1. Neil Young (No change)
2. Bryan Adams (No change)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. The Cars (No change)
5. Bob Seger (+3)
6. Styx (+3)
7. Police (-2)
8. Huey Lewis (-2)
9. Dire Straits (+1)
10. Jackson Browne (-3)
11. Survivor (+1)
12. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
13. Journey (No change)
14. Toto (+2)
15. Rush (-1)
16. Loverboy (-1)
17. Tom Petty (+2)
18. Led Zeppelin (-1)
19. Pat Benetar (-1)
20. Jefferson Starship (No change)

From about 50 years ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDknRxdHNog
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #503 on: February 07, 2022, 01:56:36 pm »
June 1985

1. Neily Young (No change)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Bob Seger (+1)
5. Cars (-1)
6. Survivor (+5)
7. Styx (-1)
8. Dire Straits (+1)
9. Police (-2)
10. Huey Lewis (-2)
11. Jackson Browne (-1)
12. Journey (+1)
13. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
14. Toto (No change)
15. Rush (No change)
16. Loverboy (No change)
17. Led Zeppelin (+1)
18. Pat Benetar (+1)
19. Tom Petty (-2)

Back in the early '60's Beach Rock was the craze, with of course The Beach Boys leading the way.  Here is one of the others....

Seeing the old '45 playing brought back some memories.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVfElwt27o

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 01:58:01 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #504 on: February 07, 2022, 02:09:24 pm »
July 1985 List

3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Survior (+2)
5. Bob Seger (-1)
6. Cars (-1)
7. Dire Straits (+1)
8. Styx (-1)
9. Police (No change)
10. Huey Lewis (No change)
11. Journey (No change)
12. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
13. Jackson Browne ((-2)
14. Toto (No change)
15. Rush (No change)
16. Loverboy (No change)
17. Tom Petty (+2)
18. Led Zeppelin (-1)
19. Jefferson Starship (+1)
20. Pat Benetar (-2)

Noticed movements are fewer and lot's less drastic.  Adulthood and all than means ....  sets in.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #505 on: February 07, 2022, 02:22:21 pm »
1984  -  Motorhead

Killed By Death (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #506 on: February 07, 2022, 02:35:24 pm »
1984  -  David Gilmour

You Know I'm Right

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #507 on: February 07, 2022, 02:46:01 pm »
Golden Earring

1982  -  Twilight Zone

1984  -  When the Lady Smiles

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #508 on: February 07, 2022, 02:49:35 pm »
1985  -  Robert Palmer
This one goes out to @corbe

Addicted to Love

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #509 on: February 07, 2022, 02:54:26 pm »
Robert Palmer flashback to 1974

Sneaking Sally Through the Alley

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #510 on: February 07, 2022, 02:56:55 pm »
August 1985 List

3. Dire Staits (+4)
4. Foreigner (-1)
5. Survivor (-1)
6. Bob Seger (-1)
7. Cars (-1)
8. Huey Lewis (+2)
9. Styx (-1)
10. Jackson Browne (+3)
11. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
12. Police (-3)
13. Journey (-2)
14. Eagles (New)
15. Toto (-1)
16. Rush (-1)
17. Loverboy (-1)
18. Led Zeppelin (No change)
19. Tom Petty (-2)
20. Jefferson Starship (-1)

Concert: Shooting Star and Heart August 21, 1985- Price on Ticket Stub- $13.50

Shooting Star- I will have to shamefully admit, that I had no idea or recollection of who this wass, or what they sounded like.  Well after  doing a wiki lookup and listening to some of their YT songs......   I still don't.  From what I heard and read, they are obviously forgettable, and am surprised Heart's management signed them as an opening act.  I got to ask, and answer me honestly.....   Do any of your remember this band? This apparently one of their awful, and cheesy ventures into what they are calling music.  Can't believe they rated high enough in somebody's book to allow a video to be made.....  Here its is....  Don't blame me, I've warned you. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDiiDTgBdaM

Heart- Finally got to see Heart after two earlier misses, due to other obligations.  Was not disappointed either.  Heart sure toured alot in the day, and if you missed them, you missed a good long, all the hits covered show.  I do remember this was during Ann's weight gain period, and she seems like she was struggling with energy.  Or maybe she was just ill at the time.  With 10 years and 18 charting hits by that time.  It'd would have been tough to mess that up.

This came after the cioncert, but my favorite in the latter half of their career.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM44F-M78Vs

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:57:42 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #511 on: February 07, 2022, 03:04:50 pm »
1985  -  Dire Straits

Money For Nothing (Live)

So Far Away (Live, '85)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:06:45 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #512 on: February 07, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »
September 1985 List

2. Bryan Adams ((No change)
3. Foreigner (+1)
4. Dire Straits ((-1)
5. Survivor ((No change)
6. Huey Lewis (+2)
7. The Cars (No change)
8. Bob Seger (-2)
9. Styx (No change)
10. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
11. Jackson Browne (-1)
12. Journey (+1)
13. Eagles (+1)
14. Police (-2)
15. Toto (No change)
16. Rush (No change)
17. Loverboy (No change)
18. Led Zeppelin (No change)
19. Tom Petty (No change)

Concert:  Neil Young and the International Harvesters- September 20, 1985 Price on stub $15.50

This concert was 2 days before the 1st Farm Aid, which Young was a founder of. 

After being burnt by attending the worst concert in my concert going history a few years earlier, I decided to chance it again.  Results were mixed.  Honestly some of Young's Harvest stuff back in the early '70's were good.  But when he tinges that kind of work with C &W?  It Sucks.  But this time mixed in enough rocking tunes, it was worth the price of admission.  Best part of the show is he did Like a Hurricane in true Crazy Horse grinding and crunching style, but without Crazy Horse.

It was a lot like this.....   This isn't the burnt out hippy spotify turd, and if he tried this now he'd break a hip......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmKrcOB7udA
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 03:37:29 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #513 on: February 07, 2022, 11:18:55 pm »
October 1985 List

3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Dire Straits (No change)
5. Huey Lewis (+1)
6. Bob Seger (+2)
7. Survivor (-2)
8. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
9. The Cars (-2)
10. Styx (-1)
11. Journey (+1)
12. Jackson Browne (-1)
13. Ealgles (No change)
14. Toto (+1)
15. Police (-1)
16. Loverboy (+1)
17. Led Zeppelin (+1)
18. Rush (-2)

Someone ought to put a caloriemeter burning deviceon Angus Young during concerts.  He's got to be burning 10,000 a night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hhlQU0zDpA

« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:26:36 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #514 on: February 08, 2022, 12:35:02 am »
1985  -  Talking Heads

And She Was

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #515 on: February 08, 2022, 04:57:46 am »
November 1985 List

3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Dire Straits (No change)
5. The Cars (+4)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
8. Huey Lewis (-3)
9. Styx (+1)
10. Journey (+1)
11. Jackson Browne (-1)
12. Survivor (-5)
13. Toto (+1)
14. Eagles (-1)
15. Police (No change)
16. Led Zeppelin (+1)
17. Rush (+1)
18. Loverboy (-2)

Concert:  Robin Trower and Foreigner, November 19, 1985, Price on stub- $15.00

Robin Trower- Best opening act, I'd seen since Styx about 10 years earlier.  Trower and SRV are/were the closest you would be able to ever see Hendrix channeled on stage.  Awesome long solos that Steamrolled and Rolling Stoned the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyAXk_LyCY

Foreigner- Foreigner was the complete band.....talent, great songwriting skills, and enough hook pop sensibiities to lure in radio play. Foreigner as we all know them really only existed the 1st 5 albums.  And of those 5, 4 were classics. (minus Head Games).  Concert did a decent job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bcKbcHSoo

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #516 on: February 08, 2022, 05:39:09 am »
December 1985 List

2. Foreigner (+1)
3. Bryan Adams (-1)
4. Cars (+1)
5. Dire Straits (-1)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Styx (+2)
8. Huey Lewsi (No change)
9. Fleetwoos Mac (-2)
10. Journey (No change)
11. Survivor (+1)
12. Jackson Browne (-1)
13. Toto (No change)
14. Eagles (No change)
15. Police (No change)
16. Led Zeppelin (No change)
17. ZZ Top (New)
18. Rush (-1)
19. Loverboy (-1)
20. Tom Petty (-1)

Easy my favorite music video of 1995 with my favorite living guitarist.  Give yourself one bonus trivia point if you recognize the Bar Keep in this Video.......   He might of had something to do with Page's Guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjJVwaivKg

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #517 on: February 08, 2022, 06:14:05 am »
January 1986 List

2. Foreigner (No change)
3. Bryan Adams (No change)
4. Dire Straits (+1)
5. The Cars (-1)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Styx (No change)
8. Huey Lewis (No change)
9. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
10. Survivor (+1)
11. Journey (-1)
12. Jackson Browne (No change)
13. Toto (No change)
14. The Hooters (New)
15. Eagles (-1)
16. ZZ Top (+1)
17, Police (-2)
18. Led Zeppelin (-12)
19. Rush (-1)
20. Loverboy (-1)

The Hooters- Long before a Breastaurant and a Fox sitcom highjacked the name in the venacular,  The Hooters were a band that took their name from the nickname of a keyboard harmonica.  They were short lived, and honestly only produced four albums in the tradional sense of release. Their true debut was very very good.  And after you hear the ones that got airplay, I'll venture you remember them too.  But alas, too much...  too soon, subesquent albums were much weaker....   and they quickly faded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1Q-PfUvN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LE0KpcP05I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NqtwAv57_A

« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:18:21 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #518 on: February 08, 2022, 03:36:37 pm »
Neil Young flashback  -  The heroin days

After the Goldrush

Sugar Mountain

Into the Black

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #519 on: February 08, 2022, 03:49:24 pm »
1985  -  The Eurythmics

Would I Lie To You?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #520 on: February 08, 2022, 03:51:41 pm »
1985  -  Tom Petty

Don't Come Around Here No More

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #521 on: February 08, 2022, 03:57:25 pm »
The thing that sucks the most about the 80s music is the synthesized drums and the cacophony vocal effects which many bands adopted, drifting away from true rock and roll.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #522 on: February 08, 2022, 04:03:36 pm »
Case in point:  1985  -  Starship

We Built This City

Mickey Thomas and Grace Slick still had it.  But the old Jefferson Airplane days are dead.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #523 on: February 08, 2022, 04:10:32 pm »
1986  -  Peter Gabriel

Bigtime

In Your Eyes

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #524 on: February 08, 2022, 04:14:32 pm »
The thing that sucks the most about the 80s music is the synthesized drums and the cacophony vocal effects which many bands adopted, drifting away from true rock and roll.

True.  Every fad gets old and tired and flooded with soundalikes.

Basic hard rock, to punk, to New Wave, to UK wuss bands, to Hair bands, to Grunge, etc, etc.