Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 127222 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2022, 12:53:24 am »
Freewill (Live, '81)

I saw Rush at the Cap Center in DC in 1980, my senior year in high school.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 12:55:10 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2022, 01:35:14 am »
1981  -  Rush  -  Moving Pictures album

Red Barchetta (Live '81)

YYZ (Live w/Peart solo)

Limelight

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2022, 01:59:25 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Hoodat

« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2022, 02:00:02 am »
1981  -  The Moody Blues  -  Long Distance Voyager album.

The Voice

Gemini Dream

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2022, 02:02:27 am »
1981  -  Genesis

Abacab

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2022, 02:04:45 am »
The Moody Blues.  One of my all time favorite bands.  So talented, and their music so very unique. I've seen them in concert several times and as old as they are, they never disappoint.

It's really difficult to pick a favorite tune.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:29 am »
1981  -  The Moody Blues  -  Long Distance Voyager album.

The Voice

Gemini Dream

The Moody Blues.  One of my all time favorite bands.  So talented, and their music so very unique. I've seen them in concert several times and they have never disappointed.

It's really difficult to pick a favorite tune.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #357 on: January 29, 2022, 02:07:35 am »
1981  -  Ozzy Osbourne

Flying High Again

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #358 on: January 29, 2022, 02:15:36 am »
Another band rises up out of Athens, GA (after the B-52s)

REM  -  1981 demo tape

Radio Free Europe

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #359 on: January 29, 2022, 02:22:01 am »
1981  -  Van Halen

Unchained (Live, '81)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2022, 02:41:42 am »
More RUSH (because they're AWESOME)

In the End (Live, '76)

The Necromancer ('75)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2022, 06:22:28 am »
April 1981 List-

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (No change)
5. Boston (No change)
6. Billy Joel (New)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
9. Cars (-3)
10. Toto (-1)
11. The Police (New)
12. Eagles (-2)
13. Kansas (No change)
14. Tom Petty (-2)
15. Dictators (-4)
16. Rush (-1)
17. Off Broadway (-1)
18. REO Speedwagon (+1)
19. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-3)
20. The Who (-3)

The Police- The Police and The Cars basically held the spots of titans in this era for New Wave. The Police had a different sound, with less electronics, more reggae influence.  They differed in one way, in that their work seemed to generally get progressively better with each album while the Cars seemed at their zenith with their 1st 2 LP's.  Style wise, the Cars seemed more straight forward and cheery, while Sting et. al prefered a more dark, foreboding lyricaly l and musically.  IF I had to pick a preferable Police LP, I'd probably go with Ghost in the Machine.  As far as between the bands, to me it is almost a tie.  If I did have to choose, I'd guess I'd go with the Cars, as their best songs, are better than the Police's best.  Plus the Police only had 5 studio albums

Still, they area great listen,and you can't picture life in the early '80's without an occasional Police song blaring in the background.  There were pretty much ubiquity on radio at that time. Think i will offer the good tracks tht got airplay (I hate f'n Roxanne- sorry).  Great songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMl1xKJeuuQ&list=PLBnJv6rImVe9d2c5lJRP2ThrQ0ypway1j&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SgVJg5lQxI&list=PLrpyDacBCh7CtSVA-XbsiLbMK6KU9zhCI&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NdMkXEQTw&list=PLrpyDacBCh7CtSVA-XbsiLbMK6KU9zhCI&index=7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5nljyEJDdg&list=PLBmNb0-p0NbvqOMijPn1cOaNzs6LX_AlN&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDjZ3jlzu8&list=PLBmNb0-p0NbvqOMijPn1cOaNzs6LX_AlN&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZlRX03BzeA&list=PLBnJv6rImVe9ReRWEytmSuTL67PT4zu-r&index=8

Billy Joel-. Highly sucesssful pop sensation. Another puzzler, why I thought this at that time could be a top 5  band at the time.  I guess I got caught up in the Glass Houses thing, wore narrow ties, Ray Bans, and thought I was I was cool.  Shit I must have looked trendily stupid at the time. I guess I bought off on this crappy New Wave Fakery.  I sure hope no one got pictures.

And no offense to the folks who are into piano man's crooning.  Might be your thing...   Not mine. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTWSXhMKX4I&list=PLraUXdMOSKKEpSFg4k6EEuXKBfPAQhNex&index=2

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2022, 02:30:56 pm »
May 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
5. Billy Joel (+1)
6. Boston (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Police (+3)
9. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
10. Toto (-1)
11. Cars (-2)
12. REO Speedwagon (+6)
13. Kansas (No change)
14. Tom Petty (No change)
15. Eagles (-3)
16. Romantics (New)
17. Rush (-1)
18. Devo (New)
19. Dictators (-4)
20. Off Broadway (-3)

Devo- . This is the first time, I have ever gone back through these list, and in some cases I am pretty shocked what I listed as good, or believe that I bought into some of these "fads". I am more proud of my muscial tastes in the early '70's versus the early '80's.  Having Devo is just one of several examples, Billy Joel, another.  Proliferation of music videos and MTV didn't help.  Devo, as everyone knows employed a simple schtick.......   Wear matching stupid jump suits and wear flower pots on their heads.  When a musical genre really starts getting traction (New Wave), for every Cars and Police, you get 20 DEVO's.

Want to get a laugh?, and this is from their wiki page explaining what DEVO means...."The name DEVO comes from the concept of "de-evolution" and the band's related idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind had begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society."  While that dystopian vision sure has some truth to it, they became the same band that by the end had 9 studio albums, and 11 compliations.  Just how many ways can you repackage crap to DEVO'ed minds?   :silly:

Me?  I am just dreading when I have to admit when I get the point where I have to report that "The Knack" made my list. This is my DEVO period of musical tastes.  If I guess I have to add a track, I'll give you their hit...   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Romantics- - Another decent two hit wonder band that had a brief career,  based simply on 2 songs (1st video) "What I Like About You", which might be one of the best New Wave songs of the era.  And 2nd, the sappy "Talking in Your Sleep" which basically was fed by a video hyped by hot women.  (Golly Gee, wonder how many times that was repeated on MTV?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqnw5IfbZOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGMzyajA2U
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #363 on: January 29, 2022, 02:45:13 pm »
I stopped serious listening to Classic Rock as much in 1975.

Coincidentally, that is the year I got married and I had to surrender my JBL L200s.   8888crybaby
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #364 on: January 29, 2022, 03:02:23 pm »
I stopped serious listening to Classic Rock as much in 1975.

Coincidentally, that is the year I got married and I had to surrender my JBL L200s.   8888crybaby

That's about as good a benchmark as any to pinpoint when rock went into decline.  In that day, finding and wanting an album was like being a kid in a candy store.  By 15 years later, it was the opposite.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #365 on: January 29, 2022, 03:34:08 pm »
Hard to imagine, but Neil Peart had a musical career before Rush.....    Even with this gawd awful album, you can sure tell that there is some serious percussion work there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCUVe-VrVE&t=761s

I don't know how many of you Briefers are drummers, but I found this clinic video from the professor fascinating.  Never thought banging a drum was so complicated.   :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBNfDggYVlw
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 03:40:27 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #366 on: January 29, 2022, 03:55:17 pm »
RUSH  -  '74 Live

Working Man (with John Rutsey on drums)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #367 on: January 29, 2022, 03:57:27 pm »
RUSH  -  Live '76

Working Man (with Neil Peart on drums)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #368 on: January 29, 2022, 04:01:03 pm »
RUSH  -  1973

Not Fade Away  (Buddy Holly cover)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #369 on: January 29, 2022, 04:09:29 pm »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #370 on: January 29, 2022, 04:41:53 pm »
1981  -  Journey

This is the only Journey song you will ever see me post on this forum.  The rest of them are for girls.

Dixie Highway

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #371 on: January 29, 2022, 04:48:58 pm »
1981  -  Blue Oyster Cult

Burning For You

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #372 on: January 29, 2022, 05:19:11 pm »
June 1981 List-

1. Styx- (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
5. Billy Joel (No change)
6. Led Zeppelin (+1)
7. Boston (-1)
8. Police (No change)
9. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
10. Kansas (+3)
11. Toto (-1)
12. Cars (-1)
13. REO Speedwagon (-1)
14. Rush (+3)
15. Eagles (No change)
16. Devo (+2)
17. Dire Straits (New)
18. Tom Petty (-4)
19. Romantics (-3)
20. Off Broadway (No change)

Dire Straits- . Kind of like Eddie Van Halen, there is no mistaking the sound of Mark Knoppler's sound.  His smooth guitar runs and eccletric song writing filled many a moment in my drive times.  Dire Straits was just good old fashioned rock and roll with just enough twinge of blues to give their sound that oomph that many in that era loved.  His laid back vocals like in Sultans of Swing were great, and that great sound went on for over 5 very consistent albums.  Amazing this band covered so much ground on those 5 albums.  They did make a forgettable 6th album, that almost seemed like an afterthought. 

I had previously added the Making Movies video suite, which btw I feel includes  their very best work.  So for a sample, I am going to give you a tune that though a long listen, does a great job of encapsulating everything great about all the styles and tenors of Dire Straits in one neat, but 14 minute long package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8bWGGA-5HM&list=OLAK5uy_n6SBFCyrA2XKrQ_V3-xK9MBZb62b-l92c

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #373 on: January 29, 2022, 06:17:08 pm »
December 1973-April 1974 List

1. Alice Cooper (no change)
2. Black Sabbath (no change)
3. Led Zeppelin (+4)
4. Uriah Heep (-2)
5. Three Dog Night (-1)
6. The Guess Who (+4)
7. Chicago (-1)
8. Grand Funk (-3)
9. Black Oak Arkansas (-1)
10. Deep Purple- (-1)
11. Rare Earth- (No Change)
12. Elton John (+7)
13. Steve Miller Band (New)
14. Jethro Tull (+3)
15. Edgar Winter Group (+5)
16. J. Geils Band (+2)
17. Yes (-3)
18. Rolling Stones (-5)
19. The Who (-3)
20. Eric Clapton (-5)

Zeppelin up due to airplay of Houses of the Holy, Steve Miller Band- The Joker

Albums those months-
Alice Cooper- Killer
Three Dog Night-Cyan
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Chicago- III
Black Oak- Self Titleed
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmos Factory
Black Sabbath- Volume IV
The Guess Wh0- Best Of. 

Steve Miller was getting lot's of air play at that time, and I was diggin' it.
I just listened to American Woman by The Guess Who.  As fine a rock and roll classic as there is out there.

http://youtu.be/9uf6EY2BZBw
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:58:00 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Hoodat

« Reply #374 on: January 29, 2022, 06:22:19 pm »
1980  -  The Grateful Dead releases Go To Heaven album.

Althea

Don't Ease Me In  (Live, '80)

Alabama Getaway

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-