Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126682 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2022, 02:25:59 pm »
1978  -  Boston  -  Don't Look Back album.

Party

A Man I'll Never Be

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2022, 02:37:56 pm »
1978  -  Journey, Infinity album.

After three horrible albums, Journey finally gets some traction with its fourth album.  Not much of a Journey fan at all, but this song does have some rock to it.

La Do Da

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2022, 02:45:30 pm »
1978  -  Journey, Infinity album.

After three horrible albums, Journey finally gets some traction with its fourth album.  Not much of a Journey fan at all, but this song does have some rock to it.

La Do Da

This and the next (Evolution) are outstanding albums.  Just enough Steve Perry to give it the vocal wallop, while allowing Schon and the others to give Journey their rocking sound.  Starting with Departure, Perry starts stamping his pop influences into the band's sound,  and it was downhill from there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2022, 02:55:06 pm »
I think sometime in 79 Meatloaf is about to hit the charts with BOH
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:57:34 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2022, 03:00:05 pm »
More memories of 1977.....   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

Wow...

Posted these video three days ago, and now Meatloaf's gone. 

Have long said, that the era of great music is getting ready to have an almost daily dose of losses as our Rock and Roll Legends age.
Neil Peart a few years ago hit me the worst.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2022, 03:48:14 pm »
Posted these video three days ago, and now Meatloaf's gone.

At least he didn't die from taking ivermectin.  That would have been so much worse.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2022, 04:24:02 pm »
At least he didn't die from taking ivermectin.  That would have been so much worse.

Yep, 2 out of 3 a'int bad.  (too soon  :cool:?)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2022, 06:24:47 pm »
Maybe y’all knew this, maybe not. Meatloaf was featured on Ted Nugent’s Free For All album. Sang the two best songs on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRIw-k1QcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5VbZ8lFxAM
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2022, 12:40:23 pm »
December 1978 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Van Halen (+2)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Aerosmith (-2)
5. Styx (No change)
6. Bob Seger (+3)
7. Kansas (No change)
8. Led Zeppelin (-2)
9. Rush (-1)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Foghat (No change)
12. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
13. Moody Blues (-1)
14. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
15. Bad Company (No change)
16. Al Stewart (+1)
17. Chicago (+1)
18. Ted Nugent (-2)
19. Stever Miller (No change)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

Vinyl/Tape Added-

Boston- Self Titled
Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic
Styx- Grand Illusion
Led Zeppelin -IV

Concert: Louisiana LeRoux and Marshall Tucker Band- December 27, 1978  Price on Ticket Stub- $7.50

Was never a fan but went at behest of girl friend.  Company was better than concert, but I knew others who really liked this band.  Here are few that they were best known for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiLUTWcLCgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4a40FjB_sM
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 12:42:06 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2022, 01:43:34 pm »
January 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (+3)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Van Halen (-3)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Led Zeppelin (+1)
8. Kansas (-1)
9. Rush (No change)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Foghat (No change)
12. Moody Blues (+1)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
14. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
15. Chicago (+2)
16. Bad Company (-1)
17. Al Stewart (-1)
18. Steve Miller (+1)
19. Ted Nugent (-1)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

New Vinyl/tapes added

Bob Seger- Stranger in Town

Side 1 from Emerson Lake and Palmer's Tarkus from 1971, is IMO the most complex piece of rock music ever composed.  Many don't get it or like it.  But there is no denying the absolute musical genius it took to put this monstrosity together.  With that, I just ran into this recent little gem from Carl Palmer, the only surviving member of the band.  Incredible energy and focus from somone almost 72 years old.  Enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOgcLQo9ks

Geddy?....  Alex?.....  Here's your drummer.  Get back in the studio and concert halls.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 04:55:22 am by catfish1957 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #260 on: January 24, 2022, 12:50:06 am »
There will be some obscure bands pop up, that I will be surprised if many had heard of.  I am going to add my concert attendance as the list progresses. 

Black Oak was a bigger band than people realize at the time.  They really caught a toehold with KAAY, back in the day.  For those who may not have heard of KAAY, they were a Little Rock based AM station had a night time show called Beaker Street which played at 11PM to 2AM every night.  They had a maximum AM strength signal and ruled the airways for years in mid america. KAAY pretty much introduced mid america to rock on the '70's, as most of the local stations at the time were playing country.

But more on the topic of Black Oak.  They were big enough that they were able to be signed to California Jam, which was if I remember one of the largest attended festivals in the decade.
I had their album and I agree it was one I played often.

The only band I ever saw in concert twice was ELP.  Dynamic.

Another two bands under-rated are the Steve Miller Band and The Band.

Anyone play "Song Quiz" on Alexa?  You select decades (50s, 60s, 70s. etc.) and compete against someone.  I almost always choose 60s as I do better than 70s.

Try it is you haven't yet.  It is addicting
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:04:22 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2022, 02:00:57 am »
1979  -  Bad Company, Desolation Angels album

Oh Atlanta!

Rock-n-Roll Fantasy

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2022, 02:14:04 am »
1979  -  Electric Light Orchestra

Don't Bring Me Down

And from 1977, Do Ya

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2022, 04:47:56 am »
I had their album and I agree it was one I played often.

The only band I ever saw in concert twice was ELP.  Dynamic.

Another two bands under-rated are the Steve Miller Band and The Band.

Anyone play "Song Quiz" on Alexa?  You select decades (50s, 60s, 70s. etc.) and compete against someone.  I almost always choose 60s as I do better than 70s.

Try it is you haven't yet.  It is addicting

'70's Song quiz on Alexa was my forte'.  My longest winning streak was 257 games. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2022, 05:30:11 am »
February 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (+1)
4. Foreigner (-1)
5. Van Halen (No change)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Kansas (+1)
8. Led Zeppeln (-1)
9. Rush (No change)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (+1)
12. Foghat (-1)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
14. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
15. Bad Company (+1)
16. Ted Nugent (+3)
17. Chicago (-2)
18. Stever Miller (No change)
19. The Cars (New)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added

Beatles - '67- '70

The Cars- The Gold standard by far of the new wave era.  Very tight musicianship, and eccletric sound that was unique to this band.  No one else sounded like The Cars  If I had a list of 10 bands I most regret not seeing in concert, this one sure would be on it.  Picking a sample of greatness from this catalog is a tough task. I could easily choose one of about 10-15. I am choosing "It's all I can do."  from Candy-O   If you listen at the 1:50-2:15 mark , you will hear 4 very clearly intricate melodic lines that flow and blend together like magic.  Some of the best songwriting you will ever hear.  As a bonus, i wanted to add "Magic" as well.  Just so we can get both an Orr and Ocasek song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFiid5UkDo 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Kv6vxZwL8

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 05:33:01 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2022, 07:03:40 am »
Okay, finally dove into the thread, and noticed little or no mention of Steppenwolf, Bread, America, and Grateful Dead. I guess it all depended on the mood you were in, but I liked them as well as almost all of the bands listed here. But the 70s found a bit of eclectic in my musical tastes, too, and John Prine and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were favorites and I admit to times when the backwoods of bluegrass were as much a comfort as soaking my feet in a mountain stream... I have enjoyed this trip down memory lane..Thanks @catfish1957 !
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:51 am »
Okay, finally dove into the thread, and noticed little or no mention of Steppenwolf, Bread, America, and Grateful Dead. I guess it all depended on the mood you were in, but I liked them as well as almost all of the bands listed here. But the 70s found a bit of eclectic in my musical tastes, too, and John Prine and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band were favorites and I admit to times when the backwoods of bluegrass were as much a comfort as soaking my feet in a mountain stream... I have enjoyed this trip down memory lane..Thanks @catfish1957 !

@Smokin Joe

Thanks Joe....

Good run of bands you mentioned.  Steppenewolf would have easily been in my Top 5 say in 1969 or 1970.  Didn't start these lists until '73.  In discussions like these, there really aren't any wrong answers or omissions.  Everyone has their particular taste in music.  You menitoned Bread.  Bread was probably the best of their genre.  I kept a Best of Bread tape in my Truck as a Date "Mood Tape".

The Greatful Dead?  They are the ultimate Cult Band....  Maybe the only classic rock one more than Rush. Yeah, my favorite band.  I might not be quite as bad as these guys but.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3yjfoorsU

« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2022, 01:20:20 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Thanks Joe....

Good run of bands you mentioned.  Steppenewolf would have easily been in my Top 5 say in 1969 or 1970.  Didn't start these lists until '73.  In discussions like these, there really aren't any wrong answers or omissions.  Everyone has their particular taste in music.  You menitoned Bread.  Bread was probably the best of their genre.  I kept a Best of Bread tape in my Truck as a Date "Mood Tape".

The Greatful Dead?  They are the ultimate Cult Band....  Maybe the only classic rock one more than Rush. Yeah, my favorite band.  I might not be quite as bad as these guys but.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3yjfoorsU
Tape in a truck?  One can tell those who grew up more in the 60s than 70s if that tape was an eight track or, like I also used to have, a 4 track.

One more band I liked out there was Country Joe and the Fish.

And as far as cult bands were concerned, the only one I adherred to much was The Mothers of Invention
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:22:32 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2022, 01:55:12 pm »
March 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Rush (+4)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Van Halen (-2)
8. Kansas (-1)
9. Led Zeppelin (-1)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (No change)
12. ToTo (New)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
14. Foghat (-2)
15. Fleetwoo Mac (-1)
16. Bad Company (-1)
17. Eddie Money (New)
18. Chicago (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-4)

Vinyl/Tapes Added

Heart- Dreamboat Annie

Toto- A general session-"ist" type of band formed of good musicians.  They are fusion of many styles including straight forward rock, with tinges of prog, and jazz style.  Kind of an uneven career.  1st and 5th albums are very very good.  But it is the 4th one that this band will be remembered for (IV) That album included Rosanna and Africa.  I think the album had sold about 10-15M units.  Huge, including Grammies, if memory serves.  After Isolation, as far as I am concerned they fell off the musical earth.

An anecdotal item on this band too.  In my first job out college, I worked for the State Dept. of Health.  Part of my many duties was to inspect Day Cares.  One day, I just happened to check this one place in Vinton, Louisiana, and it happened to be Lead Singer Bobby Kimball's mother.  She had a Platinum album on the wall, so that was pretty cool to see.

As far as samples, from ToTo, I am going to add one of their biggest hit, and then go with a couple more obscure ones I really liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

On this one, Deadwood fans might notice their favorite Doc here (The fugitive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeldKAqM-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CA6X0Zx3lg

Eddie Money- . Another great Rock and Roller we lost in the past few years.  Money made Crooners cool again, and put together a solid base of hits and music. Master of hooks, and great showman.   Seeing Ronnie Spector die recently brought back a lot of memories of the Money Man.  Here are a couple of my favorites. 

My second serious girlfriend was a dead ringer for the lady in this video...  Looks and temperment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdYRq8-6kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtHhUDo-08

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:10:02 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2022, 09:54:00 pm »
April 1979 List

1.Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Rush (+1)
5. Bob Seger (+1)
6. Foreigner (-2)
7. Led Zeppelin (+2)
8. Van Halen (-1)
9. Kansas (-1)
10.Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (No chnage)
12. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
13. Toto (-1)
14. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
15. Foghat (-1)
16. Bad Company (No change)
17. Chicago (+1)
18. Eddie Money (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (No Change)
20. Ted Nugent (No Change)

Vinyl/tapes added-
Three Dog Night- Golden Biscuits
Bachman Turner Overdrive- Head On
Bachman Turner Overdrive- 4 Wheel Drive

Recent song/video from AC DC.  Sounds like a swan songish type of tribute showing that they obviously understand the end is a hell of lot closer than the beginning.  Kind of sad watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA

« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2022, 10:33:12 pm »

Uneventful month-  Will use this post to cover what I feel is the most iconic rock film clip in history.  Enjoy if you have never seen it.  I'll even provide a narrative.   :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVN8_7wVSG0

0:08- Jimi provides PSA that the next 7 minutes might be hazardous to your hearing
1:05 -Some can't chew gun and walk at the same time.  Hendrix OTOH, gives prehistoric lesson on using feedback for R&R, and chews gum.
2:20- Jimi is the best?  Heck he has the 3rd best 'Fro in the band.
2:50- Look Ma----  One hand, no picking.......
4:11 Hendrix - Behind the back?  Anyone can do that right?
4:48- Cass Elliot lets 4 flies in her mouth with a jaw drop
5:00- All hell breaks lose.
5:15- Find out the real Wild Thing was Jimi's Marshall Amp.
5:56- Hendrix tries to summon the soul of Robert Johnson from the depths of hell
6:32- Jimi demonstrates his cooking skills, making Broiled Stratocaster
6:50- Fender Abuse your honor, 1st degree
6:53- Cass Elliot closes her mouth long enough to approve.
7:09- That guitar fret may look destroyed, but I heard one expert say that piece of guitar might be worth a quarter of a million dollars today.
7:14- Classic look of shock, not realizing you have just witnessed rock and roll history.
Wow did you bring back memories.

I saw Jimi at the San Antonio Hemisphere in May 1970 a few months prior to his departing from this earth.  I know as it cost me $4 for the ticket and I still have the stub.

He must have perfected his performance since '67 as he also was able to stroke the guitar with other parts of his anatomy, ahem.

« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2022, 10:37:55 pm »

Jethro Tull is/was a great celtic tinged prog master.  Complex compositions, intellligent lyricism, a really good listen.

Here is a sample of one of my favorites by JT....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUdlUmtg3Q
I agree.  He had stimulating lyrics.  My favorite is Wind Up which I cannot find a whole video of

http://youtu.be/PCKR6CXiPZE
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:40:49 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2022, 10:41:56 pm »

I saw Jimi at the San Antonio Hemisphere in May 1970 a few months prior to his departing from this earth.  I know as it cost me $4 for the ticket and I still have the stub.

You saw Jimi Hendrix?  (Give me a minute to lift my jaw off the floor) :cool:

« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2022, 10:43:28 pm »
You saw Jimi Hendrix?  (Give me a minute to lift my jaw off the floor) :cool:
My favorite was the Star Spangled Banner

He knew a guitar better than a shoe maker knows his own shoes.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2022, 11:48:32 pm »
Okay, finally dove into the thread, and noticed little or no mention of Steppenwolf, Bread, America, and Grateful Dead.

The Grateful Dead is hard to peg by year.  They are much better known for their live concerts than their album output.  1978 marked the release of their Shakedown Street album (which has my favorite Dead song).

Fire on the Mountain

I Need a Miracle

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-