Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126662 times)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2022, 10:56:42 am »
I also enjoyed the Kansas album that came out before Leftoverture. Masque was less known, but every bit as complex. “Two Cents Worth”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTEo2yHVTSo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:57:46 am by debrawiest »
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2022, 06:48:12 pm »
June 1977 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
5. Moody Blues (-1)
6. Rush (+1)
7. Foghat (-1)
8. ZZ Top (+2)
9. Eagles (-1)
10. Queen (+1)
11. Robin Trower (+8)
12. Kiss (-3)
13. The Who (-1)
14. Nazareth (+4)
15. Deep Purple (+1)
16. Chicago (-2)
17. Steve Miller (-2)
18. Black Sabbath (New)
19. Ted Nugent (-6)
20. BTO (No change)

Vinyl/tape additions-

Rush- All the World's a Stage
Yes- Fragile

Enjoy this symphonic versiom of "And You and I" by Yes. I beleive this is  one of the last viewable performances of this tune by  the great Chris Squire.   Sadly he died in 2015

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmeJlm7Gcg
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2022, 06:54:31 pm »
Aerosmith - "Dream On" - with orchestra

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbKvBT9F0Vo
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2022, 07:46:48 pm »
July 1997 List

1. Led Zeppelin- (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Rush (+3)
4. Aerosmith (-1)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
6. ZZ Top (+2)
7, Moody Blues (-2)
8. Foghat (-1)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Robin Trower (+1)
11. Queen (-1)
12. Kiss (No change)
13. Deep PUrple (+2)
14. Nazareth (No change)
15. The Who (-2)
16. Sweet (New)
17. Chicago (-1)
18. Alice Cooper (New)
19. Black Sabbath (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes added- None

Concert:  Rick Derringer and Alice Cooper - July 1, 1977

Let me start with a preface...  As you have seen on these lists, I had quite an admiration for AC and especially his  stage show, which still to this day is among the best in rock history.   With that, I wanted to make sure I got a front row (literally) seat to the event, and got there early to stand in place front and center to the stage.  Derringer played his hits in about a 45 minute set with no problems.  Everybody got to see Rock and Roll Hoochie Too

When AC entered the stage, the crowd surged forward, and by the first 1/3 of the first song, I among several others were severely pinned against the plank of the stage.  It felt like my lungs were getting crushed, and every breath was a ghasp of almost nothing.  When someone finally noticed on stage, an  individual came out and started screaming....   Everyone on the Floor 2 steps back NOW!!!!...  Everyone on the Floor 3 Steps back NOW!!!  The crowd start dispersing back, but by then I noticed about 10-15 feet away a young petite girl and another kid had passed out from the crush of the crowd.  After a couple of minutes of  pleaing for the crowd to move back, a couple of paramedics made it to the kids, and they were pulled out of the crowd.  It is hard to explain how harrowing it is, to think you are crushed and strangulated from the sheer force of a few hundred people behind you trying to get to the stage.  I do not know what the final outcome of these kids, but it didn't make any news.  Likely because the venue was run by the city.

But the concert itself?  Stage show was fabuous, as this was the show supporting the "Lace and Whisky  Tour". But it seems he kept the "Welcome to My Nighmare" stage theme.  Great effects and props.  Did not like seeing the band without founding memebers, or like the fact that AC was drunk and slurring his lyrics.  The bruisng arond my upper torso came at no charge. 

[/color]
This is pretty much how I remembered it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqEVYNTdc3c

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #179 on: January 15, 2022, 07:51:32 pm »
1977  -  A Farewell to Kings album - (recorded in the UK)

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2022, 07:55:28 pm »
1977  -  A Farewell to Kings album - (recorded in the UK)

Xanadu

Cygnus X-1

Like the other Rush....  Talent on Loan from God!!!!!!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2022, 07:56:55 pm »
More Kansas from 1977

Portrait

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2022, 07:59:50 pm »
1977  -  Iggy Pop (Live)

Lust for Life

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2022, 08:01:58 pm »
Like the other Rush....  Talent on Loan from God!!!!!!

Wait for Cygnus X-1 Book 2

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2022, 08:40:06 pm »
July 1997 List

1. Led Zeppelin- (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Rush (+3)
4. Aerosmith (-1)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
6. ZZ Top (+2)
7, Moody Blues (-2)
8. Foghat (-1)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Robin Trower (+1)
11. Queen (-1)
12. Kiss (No change)
13. Deep PUrple (+2)
14. Nazareth (No change)
15. The Who (-2)
16. Sweet (New)
17. Chicago (-1)
18. Alice Cooper (New)
19. Black Sabbath (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes added- None

Concert:  Rick Derringer and Alice Cooper - July 1, 1977

Let me start with a preface...  As you have seen on these lists, I had quite an admiration for AC and especially his  stage show, which still to this day is among the best in rock history.   With that, I wanted to make sure I got a front row (literally) seat to the event, and got there early to stand in place front and center to the stage.  Derringer played his hits in about a 45 minute set with no problems.  Everybody got to see Rock and Roll Hoochie Too

When AC entered the stage, the crowd surged forward, and by the first 1/3 of the first song, I among several others were severely pinned against the plank of the stage.  It felt like my lungs were getting crushed, and every breath was a ghasp of almost nothing.  When someone finally noticed on stage, an  individual came out and started screaming....   Everyone on the Floor 2 steps back NOW!!!!...  Everyone on the Floor 3 Steps back NOW!!!  The crowd start dispersing back, but by then I noticed about 10-15 feet away a young petite girl and another kid had passed out from the crush of the crowd.  After a couple of minutes of  pleaing for the crowd to move back, a couple of paramedics made it to the kids, and they were pulled out of the crowd.  It is hard to explain how harrowing it is, to think you are crushed and strangulated from the sheer force of a few hundred people behind you trying to get to the stage.  I do not know what the final outcome of these kids, but it didn't make any news.  Likely because the venue was run by the city.

But the concert itself?  Stage show was fabuous, as this was the show supporting the "Lace and Whisky  Tour". But it seems he kept the "Welcome to My Nighmare" stage theme.  Great effects and props.  Did not like seeing the band without founding memebers, or like the fact that AC was drunk and slurring his lyrics.  The bruisng arond my upper torso came at no charge. 

[/color]
This is pretty much how I remembered it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqEVYNTdc3c

Alice Cooper definitely gives a good stage performance (at times unusual) and we saw him much later in life, but he was still awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6CorjwN4wQ

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2022, 04:18:57 am »
August 1977 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No change)
2. Boston (No Change)
3. Rush (No Change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Moody Blues (+2)
6. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
7. ZZ Top (-1)
8. Foghat (No change)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Sweet (+6)
11. Queen (No change)
12. Deep Purple (+1)
13. Robin Trower (-3)
14. Kiss (-2)
15. Nazareth (-1)
16. The Who (-1)
17. Black Sabbath (+2)
18. Foreigner (New)
19. Chicago (-2)
20. Alice Cooper (-2)

Vinyl/Tape additions- None

Foreigner- Very very good band that had excellent song writing skills, and got huge airplay in the 70's.  All of their first 5 albums charted in the Top 5 in the U.S.  And honestly, only the first 5 are worth listening to. It kind of seemed they hit a brick wall after Agent Provacteur, and the creative juices evaporated. Feels Like the First Time, Cold as Ice, Hot Blooded, Urgent, Juke Box Hero, and I want to Know What Love Is........  All in a huge streak a big hits, that kept Foreigner on the radio for pretty much 10 years.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2022, 08:28:21 am »
Long Long Way From Home

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2022, 08:32:23 am »
1977  -  Bad Company  -  Burning Sky

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2022, 08:41:41 am »
1977  -  Styx  -  Grand Illusion album

Fooling Yourself

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2022, 01:20:23 pm »
September 1977 List

1. Boston (+1)
2. Led Zeppelin (-1)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Moody Blues (No Change)
6. Fleetwood Mac (New)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
8. Eagles (No Change)
9. ZZ Top (-2)
10. Foghat (-2)
11. Sweet (-1)
12. Queen (-1)
13. Steve Miller Band (New)
14. Deep Purple (-2)
15. Robin Trower (-2)
16. Kiss (-2)
17. Alice Cooper (+3)
18. Peter Frampton (New)
19. The Who (-3)
20. Black Sabbath (-3)

Vinyl/Tapes Added- None

Fleetwood Mac- . Fleetwood Mac was a slightly obsure to the main rock community, but had built up a nice following for those tending strongly in the English Bluesy bands of the '60's. Looking it up, the highest that the original Fleetwood Mac  would chart in the U.S was No.34.  Relatively tepid considering at this point the group had had 10 studio albums.

That all changed with a tidal wave for the next album and beyond, when the group added the couple of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The Next 5 albums would all be in the Top 10.  Rumours was at the time the largest selling album of all time.  15X Platinum.

And of course I had a significant crush on Stevie Nicks.....   Others may have Farrah Fawcett Majors on their dorm wall.  Not Me.  I had a sweating Stevie poster with her singing. Super sexy woman, with maybe the sexyist voice of all time?  Before digressing more, I want to pick a number from MY favorite FM album...  Tusk.  This album does great justice showing how underrated and under appreciated Buckingham's guitar work was.  If you've never listened to Tusk, in its entirety, you are missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2k99lGAmI&list=OLAK5uy_l4jG1YrbpjxAqzfy5HgYu0gZEpHBsjr9c&index=15

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2022, 04:10:51 pm »
October 1977 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No Change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Moody Blues (+1)
5. Aerosmith (-1)
6. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
8. Eagles (No change)
9. Foghat (+1)
10. ZZ Top (-1)
11. Steve Miller Band (+2)
12. Queen (No change)
13. Sweet (-2)
14. Peter Frampton (+4)
15. Alice Cooper (+2)
16. Deep Purple (-2)
17. Robin Trower (-2)
18. Kiss (-2)
19. The Who (No change)
20. Black Sabbath (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added-

Rush- Farewell To Kings
Ted Nugent- Cat Scratch Fever

Speaking of Ted, love this classic......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YpzEKRH3_Y

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:11:39 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2022, 05:05:48 pm »
November 1977 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (+1)
5. Moody Blues (-1)
6. Emerson Lake Palmer (+1)
7. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
8. Foghat (+1)
9. Eagles (-1)
10. Ted Nugent (New)
11. ZZ Top (-1)
12. Steve Miller Band (-1)
13. Blue Oyster Cult (New)
14. Queen (-2)
15. Peter Frampton (-1)
16. Sweet (-3)
17. Robin Trower (No change)
18. Alice Cooper (-3)
19. Kiss (-1)
20. Black Sabbath (No Change)

Vinyl/tapes added- None

Blue Oyster Cult-  Very technically astute heavy rockers who blend great musicanship with showmanship.  There's a lot more about this band than an SNL Cowbell skit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8A1_3ybiQ

Concert Attended:  Cheap Trick and Blue Oyster Cult- November 3, 1977 (cost on stub- $7.00)

Best to date.  Cheap Cheap was just coming out, and was really good.  Blue Oyster Cult?  All I can say is wow.  It had their infamous laser show where ther guitarist would shoot his laser from his wrist into a spinning disco ball, and the lasers would scatter and bounce all over the place.  Incredible.!!!!!  Band was so good too, as this show supported the Agents of Fortune Tour, so all the great ones like Don't Fear the Reaper, and ETI were covered.  They even gave the crowd a performance of Godzilla which had not been released yet.

Plus we all had a laugh.  Before BOC would take the stage, the disco ball started spinning with color lights reflecting.  And all the sudden a disco sound rang out.  The boo-ing in the crowd was so loud it shook the rafters. What a hoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZva-ngHM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYkvpNR8BGU
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:50:06 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2022, 06:16:00 pm »
Speaking of Ted, love this classic......

That's my all-time favorite Nugent song!

This one is live from Germany 1977

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2022, 09:20:50 pm »
1977  -  The Police release their first album

So Lonely

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2022, 09:23:37 pm »
1977  -  The Talking Heads release their first album

Psycho Killer (Live, '77)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #195 on: January 16, 2022, 09:32:30 pm »
1977 also marked the end of Lynyrd Skynyrd only three days after the release of their Street Survivors album.  Ronnie Van Zant, and Steve and Cassie Gaines lost their lives in a plane crash enroute to Baton Rouge.

Here is a rare live performance of That Smell from July 1977.

And for any other Skynyrd fans, here is the whole concert from Asbury Park, NJ.  Personally, I believe Lynyrd Skynyrd was musically one of the tightest bands of all time.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #196 on: January 16, 2022, 09:51:10 pm »
1977  -  Jethro Tull  releases Songs From the Wood album.  More folkish than rock.

The Whistler  (the studio cut)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2022, 05:31:01 am »
December 1977 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
6. Moody Blues (-1)
7. Ted Nugent (+3)
8. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Foghat (-2)
11. ZZ Top (No change)
12. Blue Oyster Cult (+1)
13. Steve Miller Band (-1)
14. Robin Trower (+3)
15. Queen (-1)
16. Nazareth (New)
17. Sweet (-1)
18. Alice Cooper (No change)
19. Kiss (No change)
20. Peter Frampton (-5)

Vinyl/Tapes additions

Led Zeppelin- Self Titled
Kiss - Destroyer
ZZ Top- Fandango
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Guilty Pleasures Night-  Okay ..  admit it, there is a certain group, performer, or music that isn't classic rock that you like.  You know...  those which would have embarrassed you if your buddies knew, you'd catch all kind of hell from them.  MIne which i am not apologetic is classical music.  Pop wise, I will have to admit that Abba was my so called guilty pleasure.  While my Stevie Nicks poster was obviously cool, putting up one of Agnetha.  :cool:....  just wouldn't have been acceptable. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcW4WAOT1us

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2022, 05:46:43 am »
1977  -  Heart  -  Magazine album

Heartless (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-