General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.

<< < (172/252) > >>

catfish1957:
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Weezer - Self Titled (Blue Album)- 1994. ***

It's hard for me to pull myself out of prog mode, but I thought I would give some props to something a bit more modern.  By the mid-1990's at least from my perspective, it was getting harder and harder to find bands worth listening to. But that's not to say there weren't a few exceptions. Weezer met that bill.  If I would characerize Weezer, I'd say they are about 40% Alternative, 40% Grunge, 20% Punk (ish).  They came out just a little later than the Pumpkins, but shared a fuzz/distort sound that gave some nice uniqueness to their sound.  Rivers Cuomo is kind of the creative center of the band, and he admittedly has some pretty decent songwriting skills.  They spoke well for the plight of young guys in their late teens, much as I previously discussed with Blink.  Then add that "nerd" persona....  Schtick?  I will leave that opinion up to you.

The guys have made 15 studio albums, and from the research, I have found out that at least on the LP Charts (do they even call it that anymore?) , they are still seeing some decent success.  Still, their hay day was those first 4 or 5, which got tons of airplay.  And of those 4 or 5, none of them approached the excellence of their debut the self titled, which they call their Blue album.  This album has very little filler, and is rife with great songwriting, and has more hooks than a fishing tackle.  Nothing really supe remarkable in instrumental musicianship, but competent, and this is just good old fashion fun rock and roll.  Don't ever forget who produced this album....  Ric Ocasek.  It had to be a winner right out of the gate.

And last, I really like that the boys really try and intend to infuse some nostalgia into their lyriscm.  So much of that timeframe was "Our elders are shit" mentality, that I saw these guys as a breath of fresh air in our musical youth.

Track (Yes, post vinyl era)
-----------------

My Names is Jonas- After a very brief acoustical ditty, Weezer drops a Sabbath like barrage of riffs to introduce you to a new and unique sound.  Lyrics are nonsensical, and least from my POV.  Maybe Rivers and the guys had some kind of subliminal thoughts, but this is a tune to enjoy on mostly musical merit.  Though the album is a slightly light on redeeming instrumental wizardry, they do do some nice harmonica- guitar solo interplay at the end. 2

No One Else- Maybe the most punk inspired tune of the CD.  Hits at that evergreen topic of being 17 and being pissed off at your girlfriend.  Very good song, but maybe the weakest of a fine album. 10

The World Has Turned and Left Me Here-  Excellent use of phrasing and fuzz, while belting out a semi-ballade delving more into the lamentation of youth and unrequited love. The broad fuzz gives the song a nice lushness, and melancoly feel.  My oveall favorite of any Weezer Song.  1

Buddy Holly-  Their biggest commerical hit by far.  Everyone will recognize the song and the video which made them famous.  The video was ingenious bringing back some cast members of the sitcom. Happy Days, actual and filmage.  This cemented their status of giving hamage to nostalgia.  Fantastic song, but suprisingly not the best on the album.  I will have to hand it to them , Ocasek, and record company, this was maybe the greatest example of schtick promotion in the history of rock.  Did it ever work well, and it propelled their career. 4

Undone: The Sweater Song- Incredibly innovative song that uses spoken party wording and delves into metaphorical unraveling a sweater  as life event. Slowing rolling distort-fuzz almost comes across as a pseudo-bluzey thing.  Some nice solo work that nails the number at the end.  This is good stuff.  3

Surf Wax America- Fuzzo-punk number just for fun.  You just can't take the California out of some boys. 6

Say it A'int So- Slow number, with off-key workage.  Not in their wheelhouse.  9

In the Garage- For such a simplistic song, it is so powerful describing young guys having to deal with young life. Knowing these guys, I would bet this was a auto-biography.  As I re-review this album, I am recognizing that the guitar work is a lot better than I remember.  5

Holiday- Maybe the most mainstream sounding song on the LP.  Nothing special though,- 8

Only In Dreams-  Another love song/ ballad that doesn't really add to the feel of the album.  I am guessing they were wanting some level of versatility in the product, but too bad they didn't stick with the formula that made the earlier part of this album so great- 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNyd9zL44s

catfish1957:
Classic Rock Album of the Day- AC-DC- High Voltage- (1976) ****

Probably the best way to describe this band is the band that they are the ultimate band of the lack of subtle.  Their blasting hard rocking 3 chords with Angus Young's wild searing Angus Young riffing, and Bon Scott's snearing vocals, (subsequent Brian  Johnson)  is unique in the rock world. There is no mistaking a classic AC-DC tune when you hear one of the huge magnitude of examples on Classic Rock stations.

I personally see the tragic loss of Bon Scott as the natural line of demarcation of old vs new AC-DC.  What is so phenomenal is that both sides of that time line are incredible.   As far as Aussie greatness, there is AC-DC, and everyone else far far far behind. From latter era, I have already reviewed "Back in Black", which is their best.  And their second best as far as I am concerned is from early in their collection......    High Voltage.  This is a very even consistent album, that is from a partying perspective, about as good as it gets.  It's got a rawness missing from Back in Black, but some energy, beyond compare.  If you have never watched one of their concerts, I have often contended that Angus Young basically runs the equivalancy of a Marathon after those two hour of rocking.  Plus at least in this early gem the boys stretch their blues dues nicely. 

High Voltage as advertised needs to listened to LOUD!!!!!!.....   And will totally immerse you into a blast of rock and roll that harkens Chuck Berry on 'roids.   And again beware of the sublety factor where this band has no problem getting into details around their reoccuring themes of sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll.   And make no mistake, this is one of the most "filler-free" LP's you will find.

Side 1-
--------------

It's a Long Way to the Top-  I am admittedly a little prejudiced having Scottish ancestry, to admit that this is my all time favorite AC-DC number of all time   Maybe the only rock song to blast bag pipes into the equation.  Doesn't hurt matters either that this is a awesome rocking number either. Great message of their plight to get to where they got to that point.  The blaring pipes at the end, just blows me away.    Yeah!!!!!!!   1

Rock 'n Roll Singer- Another solid rocker, and more in the auto-bio form that this album screams track by track.  I laugh when adds at the end of one verse....   "And it pays well!!!!" These guys had a hell of sense of humour, and had no problem wearing what exactly what they saw and thought on their sleeves. 7

The Jack- Yaw Yaw Yaw....   Innuedo in the extreme with this super blusey number.  Never had a card game ever seem so enticing. As elementally rock centered as the bad always seemed, there was always a card to pull out of the deck, that showed this band was more versatile than they advertised. 4

Live Wire- Can't have High Voltage, without a Live Wire. More bio-ish fare with some great ax licks that Angus shreds in mad fashion.  "Stick this in your fuse box."  :silly:  5

Side 2-
---------

TNT- Maybe the most recognizable one on the album.  Gets a hell of lot or air play on Classic Rock.  There are legends that Bon Scott was quite a street brawler.  This song seems to help cement that appearance.  Great rocker, and party tune- 2

Can I Sit Next to You- Rockey/Blusey song that hits home.  The fact that this great song is may be the weakest of the whole album is amazing-  9

Little Lover- More very solid blues stuff.  So non-PC, geez only rappers could get away with these kind of lyrics nowadays.  Was the sure sign of times, but so entertaining.  8

She's Got Balls- Tune's self-explanitory.  But now a more rocking tone, but like I said earlier, subtlety was never in the band's lexicon. Seems the guys were enamored by assertive ladies.  Yeah, that;s the theme, and it works.  6

High Voltage- Interesting the bad used the end of the album as the title song.  I always thought that was interesting, and never understood why.  But in any case, it's electric standard 3 chord but like a 2X4 stuff, that gives a real rocking ending to the story.  Way under appreciated is some of the accompanying bass work, which nicley augment's Angus' solo stuff.  3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlyPORi_B7s

Maj. Bill Martin:
If you're going to do something musically, commit to it 100% and don't hold back.  I think every truly great band did that.  I wouldn't call AC/DC a great band, but they were fun as hell because they were always authentic.

Never bought one of their albums, but I never changed the station when they came on.

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Maj. Bill Martin on February 07, 2023, 08:03:24 pm ---If you're going to do something musically, commit to it 100% and don't hold back.  I think every truly great band did that.  I wouldn't call AC/DC a great band, but they were fun as hell because they were always authentic.

Never bought one of their albums, but I never changed the station when they came on.

--- End quote ---

I love the fact that they gave their audience exactly what they wanted. I agree with you, that from a musical aspect they sure weren't top tier., but they were damned good at the formula of what they excelled at, and maybe among the best at that aspect.    Sternum rattling 3 chord rock and roll, with enough riffing, to  demonstrate they weren't pikers either.

This is the ultimate Rocking Party band.  No cerebral or analysis needed or allowed.

:beer:

Maj. Bill Martin:
I'm thinking I'm going to do a Genesis next.  Probably Trespass, their real "Genesis" album that is sometimes overlooked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version