General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.

<< < (2/251) > >>

libertybele:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on January 08, 2022, 08:07:24 pm ---I started preparing these list in July 1973, then December 1973 and pretty much monthly afterwards for several years....

July 1973
================

1. Alice Cooper Band
2. Uriah Heep
3. Black Sabbath
4. Three Dog Night
5. Grand Funk Railroad
6. Chicago
7. Led Zeppelin
8. Black Oak Arkansas
9. Deep Purple
10. The Guess Who
11. Rare Earth
12. Allman Brothers Band
13. Rolling Stones
14. Yes
15. Eric Clapton
16. The Who
17. Jethro Tull
18. J. Geils Band
19. Elton John
20. Edgar Winter Group

Albums bought:

Uriah Heep- Live
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
================================

The Live ABC "In Concert" event really blew me away with that era of Alice Cooper.  For those into history, You Tube- "Elected" for one of what I consider one of the earliest Music Videos of that format.  Not that I disliked the "hippy formula" that worked in rock for more than 5 years....   Hearing acts like Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath seemed ground breaking.

--- End quote ---

Alice Cooper is interesting. We actually saw him perform at our local college music hall about 10 years ago.  He put on a darn good show and though the audience was mostly our age, we did see some younger people enjoying his music. He has quite a dramatic stage presence. I notice the date of 1973 and it made me realize just how long he's been around.

I've seen several of those listed in concert; Stones, Clapton, Yes, The Who, Edgar Winter, J. Geils (as back up) and several times Elton John.  I realize how very lucky I am to have experienced live their phenomenal talents that truly marked Rock 'n Roll history.

Thank you for the list.  I'll certainly enjoy going through and listening to those that I didn't pay attention too. In particular, I had to look up Black Oak Arkansas.  I am not familiar with their music.  (I'm still working through the list).

Take a look at the video in the beginning and the line up of cars to get in to see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHtAV3uMRI

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: Hoodat on January 08, 2022, 08:22:38 pm ---You can never have enough Grand Funk Railroad.

I can feel Him in the morning

--- End quote ---

Awesome tune.  My favorite GFR tune of all time?  Maybe the most underestimated bass lines of the 70's too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NXgM_LGQA

libertybele:

--- Quote from: catfish1957 on January 08, 2022, 08:22:03 pm ---Great point.  One thing about popular music.  Teenage kids tend to dislike their parents music, and in my case Orbison and Elvis  That is why  I in  '60's and '70's really wasn't into those '50's acts.  Of course, as I grew older, I understood the reverence for these pioneers.  And that hat really hit home when in the '80's the Traveling Willburys were formed.   I got to enjoy the legends of an earlier era (Bob Dylan and Roy Orbison) join forces with my era (Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne).  Their collaboration was magical.

--- End quote ---

Same here.  I didn't start listening to Elvis and Orbison till later in life and they are wonderful -- in my perspective they started the 'rock' movement.

For me growing up in the Detroit area, I was heavily also into Motown --started by the legendary Barry Gordy. 

I never liked the Detroit area, but looking back I was so lucky; the area is rich in history, especially music.

libertybele:
My favorite Elvis tune.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6am8V5KNJ4A

catfish1957:

--- Quote from: libertybele on January 08, 2022, 08:25:11 pm ---Alice Cooper is interesting. We actually saw him perform at our local college music hall about 10 years ago.  He put on a darn good show and though the audience was mostly our age, we did see some younger people enjoying his music. He has quite a dramatic stage presence. I notice the date of 1973 and it made me realize just how long he's been around.

I've seen several of those listed in concert; Stones, Clapton, Yes, The Who, Edgar Winter, J. Geils (as back up) and several times Elton John.  I realize how very lucky I am to have experienced live their phenomenal talents that truly marked Rock 'n Roll history.

Thank you for the list.  I'll certainly enjoy going through and listening to those that I didn't pay attention too. In particular, I had to look up Black Oak Arkansas.  I am not familiar with their music.  (I'm still working through the list).

Take a look at the video in the beginning and the line up of cars to get in to see them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHtAV3uMRI

--- End quote ---

There will be some obscure bands pop up, that I will be surprised if many had heard of.  I am going to add my concert attendance as the list progresses. 

Black Oak was a bigger band than people realize at the time.  They really caught a toehold with KAAY, back in the day.  For those who may not have heard of KAAY, they were a Little Rock based AM station had a night time show called Beaker Street which played at 11PM to 2AM every night.  They had a maximum AM strength signal and ruled the airways for years in mid america. KAAY pretty much introduced mid america to rock on the '70's, as most of the local stations at the time were playing country.

But more on the topic of Black Oak.  They were big enough that they were able to be signed to California Jam, which was if I remember one of the largest attended festivals in the decade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version