Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 120098 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2022, 03:19:47 pm »
Out go the lights!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2022, 04:50:57 pm »
September 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No change)
2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
4. Moody Blues (No change)
5. Queen (No change)
6. Kiss (+6)
7. Foghat (No change)
8. The Who (-2)
9. Jethro Tull (+2)
10. Chicago (-2)
11. Black Sabbath (-2)
12.Alice Cooper (New)
13. BTO (-3)
14. Robin Trower (New)
15. Bad Company  (-2)
16. Nazareth (-2)
17. Golden Earring (No change)
18. Deep Purple (-2)
19. Montrose (-1)
20. Sweet (-5)

Vinyl/Tape additions

Alice Cooper- Goes to Hell
Deep Purple- In Rock
Robin Trower- Live
Kiss- Destroyer

Another installment of Iconic moments on Film in Rock history.....   Here is one that I DO REMEMBER.  This was on February 9, 1964, and much like Elvis, these guys paved the road map as far as how rock and roll would evolve........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenWdylTtzs&list=RDjenWdylTtzs&start_radio=1

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2022, 07:50:51 pm »
October 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin - (No change)
2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Moody Blues (+1)
4. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
5. Queen (No change)
6. Kiss (No change)
7. Foghat (No change)
8. The Who (No change)
9. Alice Cooper (+3)
10. Chicago (No change)
11. Synergy (New)
12. Jethro Tull (-3)
13. Black Sabbath (-2)
14. Robin Trower- (No Change)
15. Boston- (New)
16. Steve Miller (New)
17. BTO (-4)
18. Nazareth (-2)
19. Golden Earring (-2)
20. Montrose (-1)

Vinyl/Tape Additons-

Chick Correa- The Leprechaun
Jefferson Starship- Spitfire
Michael Oldfield- Tubular Bells
Michael Pinder- The Promise

Boston- . There is no denying or not recognizing Tom Scholz' spectaular fret wizardry that he put on especially on what I feel might be the best single debut album in rock and roll history. And apparently a lot of people agree, as the album is 17X Platinum.   Their first album probably got more airplay from me, than any other single piece of rock music in my life.  I spent many a drive with "More than a Feeling" blaring out the window of my Truck. Ahhhh memories.

Work by Boston afterwards was really good, but very uneven.  They never were able to recapture the magic of that first album, but sure had excellent moments ....like 1994's Walk On.  Boston's omission to the R&R HOF  is another example of the sham that institution is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR4uKcvQbGQ

Michael Pinder- I mentioned earlier that I was on a tear for the Moody Blues, and at the time of their entry happened to correspond to a fair LP effort from their Keyboardman.  (November additon)

Synergy- - I mentioned that in the beginning of this project there may be some obscure additions.  Here is one for sure.  Synergy was synth-wiz Larry Fast.  Def. an acquired taste, and I was digging it in 1976.  Maybe for ambiance???   :cool: :cool: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVl2BB9q0Xc

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:57:12 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2022, 08:01:15 pm »
1976 - Last Child

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2022, 08:06:25 pm »
Heart  -  Magic Man (Live, 1976)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2022, 08:11:42 pm »
1976  -  Somebody to Love

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2022, 05:15:02 am »
November 1976 List

2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Boston (+12)
4. Moody Blues (-1)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer(-1)
6. Kiss (No change)
7. Foghat (No change)
8. Synergy (+2)
9. Queen (-4)
10. Chicago (No change)
11. Black Sabbath (+2)
12. The Who (-4)
13. Alice Cooper (-4)
14. Michael Pinder (New)
15. Jefferson Starship (New)
16. Steve Miller Band (No change)
17. Jethro Tull (-5)
18. Robin Trower (-4)
19. BTO (-2)
20. Nazareth (-2)

Vinyl/Tapes added

Boston- Self Titled
Uriah Heep- Live
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Trilogy
Alice Cooper- Welcome to my Nightmare
Led Zeppelin- Presence
Justin Hayward and John Lodge- Blue Jays
Ray Thomas- Ocean's Edge

Jefferson Starship- Reincarnation of the successful '60's band Jefferson Airplane.  Adjusted style toward more mid '70's production MOR music.  Had a pretty consistent streak of hits.  Still no excuse for this shit.  Enjoyed a lot of their music, but honestly there was no excuse for this silly shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQijT1lcR68

For this night in Iconic Rock on Film, I have included the March 1, 1978 clip from the Last Waltz, which was "supposed" to be "The Band's" last performance.  Pretty interesting and neat that they were able to get the following on stage for one last number.  The Band,  Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Ronnie Wood, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Ronnie Hawkins And Van Morrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjtPBjEz-BA

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2022, 01:09:37 pm »
December 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No Change)
2. Boston (+1)
3. The Moody Blues (+1)
4. Aerosmith (-2)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
6. Foghat (+1)
7. Kiss (-1)
8. Synergy (No change)
9. Queen (No change)
10. Chicago (No change)
11. The Who (+1)
12. Steve Miller Band (+4)
13. Black Sabbath (-2)
14. Alice Cooper (-1)
15. Jefferson Starship (No change)
16. BTO (+3)
17. Robin Trower (+1)
18. Jethro Tull (-1)
19. Nazareth (+1)
20. Deep Purple (New)

Vinyl/Tape added

Rod Stewart- Sing it Again

RIP to Lead Singer of the Ronettes, Ronnie Spector.  She and her group had a huge hit in the early '60's with Be My Baby.  Most of us younger crowd remember her with her collaboration with Eddie Money in this awesome tune.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aJvIFK9-xk
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:13:44 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2022, 02:22:59 pm »

2112 (full album)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2022, 02:24:50 pm »

Caress of Steel (Full album)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #160 on: January 13, 2022, 02:26:02 pm »

2112 (full album)

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

One of my all time favorites.  Can't hide that I am a Rush Fanboy.

Peart's Randian tendencies of a centralized controlled dystopia in the title epic rings to this day.  This album made left wing heads explode.

Here is the story with the song. (via comic book)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jwxrTqoEA
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:31:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #161 on: January 13, 2022, 03:20:59 pm »
Thanks @Hoodat for the lead into the perfectly timed....

January 1977 list

2. Boston (No change)
3. Aerosmith (+1)
4. Moody Blues (-1)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
6. Kiss (+1)
7. Synergy (+1)
8. Foghat (-2)
9. Queen (No change)
10. Chicago (No change)
11. Steve Miller (+1)
12. The Who (-1)
13. Robin Trower (+4)
14. Alice Cooper (No change)
15. Black Sabbath (-2)
16. BTO (No change)
17. Rush (New)
18. Jefferson Starship (-3)
19. Deep Purple (+1)
20. Jethro Tull (-2)

Vinyl/Tape additions

Rush- All the World's a Stage
Moody Blues- 7th Sojourn
Nazareth- Loud and Proud

Rush-  I know I really need to contain myself trying to quantify and qualify the career of my favorite band of all time, by far. Rather than making it a 1000 word narrative, I just ask that the reader who may not be familar to this band, sample a few dozen of their tunes on YT.  I can honestly say that this particular band embodies the traits of consistency , workmanship, and ultimate talent.  The sound just these three produce come across as a full rock orchestra.  6 hands and feet never were this talented. 

Picking an introductory tune to the thread has been my most difficult decison yet.  I started with their most famous (Tom Sawyer), but realized that one has been overplayed, and may not be new ground for many.  Xanadu was my next choice, but didn't want a tune that was too synth based. Then I thought of 2112, but not many would want to sit through 20 minutes (its above anyway).  I finally decided to go with a live version of "Natural Science".  Though it doesn't showcase Neil Peart's drum wizardry as much as other tunes, it really is a great tune showing the bands excessviely talented ability to use key and time changes at a whim.  Complexity at is best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndaI-okEIc

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #162 on: January 13, 2022, 03:36:45 pm »
Before moving along, one last instrumental  that gives an idea how the Professor operates......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIc20Liw3c&list=RDGMEMqVetBnAeSrX23ZFXTAT5hgVMAKIc20Liw3c&start_radio=1

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2022, 06:03:30 pm »
1977  -  Go Your Own Way

(Rumors album released in Feb)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2022, 06:12:52 pm »
1976 - Allman Bros breakup.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2022, 04:29:48 am »
February 1977 List

2. Aerosmith (+1)
3. Moody Blues (+1)
4. Boston (-2)
5. Rush (+12)
6. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
7. Foghat (+1)
8. Synergy (-1)
9. The Who (+3)
10. Kiss (-4)
11. Queen (+3)
12. Steve Miller (-1)
13. Chicago (-3)
14. Robin Trower (-1)
15. BTO (+1)
16. Alice Cooper (-2)
17. Black Sabbath (-2)
18. Nazareth (New)
19. Deep Purple (No change)
20 Jethro Tull (No change)

Vinyl/tape additions-

Beatles- Abbey Road
Foghat- Night Shift

Tonight's this film in rock history is about about another groundbreaking band that some like, some don't.  But there is no denying their influence, and fact they pretty much were one of the first progenitors of Grunge....  Nirvanna.  The story of Kurt Cobain is a dizzying example of highs and lows and how drug additiction can destroy someone and all around them.  The clip I am adding is as historic, first because it rally started the MTV un-plugged, but also secondly, I believe this is the last national appearance by Cobain and Nirvanna, before his suicide 6 months later in Seattle.  This concert is from November 18, 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmkuH1k7uA

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2022, 05:51:12 am »
1975  -  Searching

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2022, 02:52:01 pm »
March 1977 List

2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Boston (+1)
4. Moody Blues (-1)
5. Rush (No change)
6. Foghat (+1)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
8. Kiss (+2)
9. The Who (No change)
10. Queen (+1)
11. Chicago (+2)
12. Synergy (-4)
13. Robin Trower (+1)
14. Steve Miller Band (-2)
15. BTO (No change)
16. ZZ Top (New)
17. Alice Cooper (-1)
18. Black Sabbath (-1)
19. Deep Purple (No Change)
20. Nazareth (-2)

Vinyl added - ZZ Top Fandango

Concert attended- Point Blank and ZZ Top- March 23, 1977. Cost on stub (I kept 'em all) was $7.00 - Fantastic Concert.  Gave it 3 1/2 stars at the time.  Pretty much all of their catalog was covered.  That is how energetic they were.   Band played close to 4 hours, and at about midnight Billy announced they were going to play until no one was left.  Sadly, the Civic Center turned on the lights after the next tune.   9999hair out0000. ZZ Top is a Texas institution, and are true legends. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7d8BYJy8I

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:26:48 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2022, 04:50:10 am »
April 1977 List

1. Led Zeppelin- (No change)
2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Boston (No Change)
4. Moody Blues (No Change)
5. Rush (No change)
6. Foghat (No change)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
8. Kiss (No change)
9. ZZ Top (+7)
10. The Who (-1)
11. Queen (-1)
12. Chicago (-1)
13. Robin Trower (No Change)
14. Steve Miller (No change)
15. Deep Purple (+4)
16. Synergy (-4)
17. BTO (-2)
18. Alice Cooper (-1)
19. Black Sabbath (-1)
20 Nazareth (No change)

Vinyl/Tape additions-

Rick Wakeman- Journey to the Center of the Earth
Aerosmith- Rocks
10 Years After- Live

In tonight's episode of rock history on film, we get an idea of what happens when you mix a free concert, 300,000  mind altered hippies , and  a security contingent of Hell's Angels at the  Altamont Music Festival on December 6, 1969.  During the Rolling Stones set, all hell breaks loose, culminating in the stabbing and killing of a concert goer.  There were many other security problems and incidents that marred what became the biggest "non-crushing" diaster of a music festival in history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqK-J9S2GXs

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2022, 04:59:36 am »
Hells Angels f'ed that all up.  I think Grace Slick got punched out by one of them.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2022, 05:01:47 am »
1977  -  Eric Clapton  -  The Core

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2022, 05:06:49 am »
1977  -  ELO

Turn to Stone

Mr. Blue Sky

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2022, 05:14:25 am »
Hells Angels f'ed that all up.  I think Grace Slick got punched out by one of them.

Whole festival was a CF.  It effectively ended the Woodstock era.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2022, 05:26:31 am »
1977  -  AC/DC

Whole Lotta Rosie (Live 1978 w/Bon Scott)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2022, 06:06:17 am »
May 1977 List

1. Led Zeppelin- (No change)
2. Boston (+1)
3. Aerosmith (-1)
4. Moody Blues (No change)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+2)
6. Foghat (No change)
7. Rush (-2)
8. Eagles (New)
9. Kiss (-1)
10. ZZ Top (-1)
11. Queen (No change)
12. The Who (-2)
13. Ted Nugent (New)
14. Chicago (-2)
15. Steve Miller (-1)
16. Deep Purple (-1)
17. Kansas (New)
18. Nazareth (+2)
19. Robin Trower (-6)
20. BTO (-3)

New Vinyl/tapes added-

Eagles- Hotel California

Big month of additions-

Eagles- Probably not much I can cover about the Eagles that you already don't know.  They were the most significant country-tinged rock band on the scene, and sold 10's of millions of records even before Hotel California.  In the early days, I thought they were pretty good, but maybe just not my cup of tea.  Then in 1976...BAM!!!  They added Joe Walsh, and became a powerhouse.  These guys were already some of the best song writers in the business, but then add Walsh's edge?  It was fantastic blend, and Hotel California and the The Long Run is what I consider the golden age of the Eagles.  I leave you my favorite song from Hotel California. It is the Eagles most beautiful and heartful tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ETN21RZwwI

Ted Nugent- Before Uncle Ted was knocking liberal heads, he was pretty much apolitical.  He had a significant 10 year stint with the Amboy Dukes being the backbone ax of a heavy sound, including some work that is considered some of the first in the psychedelia genre. No doubt was Ted was a maniac with wide ranging riffs on his Gibson. It's a long listen, but I am adding Stranglhold for Nugent's sample tune on this post.  Great White Buffalo is a fine tune, if you want more of him from that mid 70's era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H0vkZTZOk

Kansas-There are few more talented than Kansas in execution in both studio and live.  As you can see as my tastes evolved, you are seeing more singer songrwriters, and PROG.  There aren't too many albums presently that I like to listen to in their entirety.  Leftoverture is an exception. This album and the next "Point of No Return" dominated air play, our dormitories, and 8 tracks all around.  Now the fact that Kansas is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is absolutely criminal. Everyone who knows anything about rock and roll knows how influential and powerful this band is.  They don't need validation from a dozen Rolling Stoned Magazine short bus dwellers.

Rather than provide the heavily played "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind", I am adding a more obscure, though no less of a masterpiece.  Sparks of the Tempest has great complexity and melodic sensibilites that in some ways blends a number  of Kansas' styles into a single song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXh4pw5EYHI&list=PLxzSZG7g8c8zwGJj0vJUfBEDsQXtL-Zlt&index=8