General Category > Sports/Entertainment/MSM/Social Media

Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.

<< < (249/252) > >>

catfish1957:
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Abba- Abba: The Album (1977) ** 1/2

Today's installment is from my guilty pleasures archive.  For the terribly uninformed, Abba obviously was not a rock group.  They were a Swedish pop group that made very good melodic uber-hooked hits, and sold tons of singles.    There is really no level of what I would call instrumental excellence.  But they had an incredible knack of reaching into pop sensibilities that peaked the pleasantry neural receptors.  The core of the band were two married couples, that did do a nice job of extracting relationship karma into their songwriting.  The stuff was from the heart, no doubt.

Abba also had one of my two teenage crushes.  Agnetha was a breaktakingly beautiful front lady, and beond sexy. Her  and Frieda captivated the audience. Their husbands and the rest of the crew performed invisibily.   Of course, no way would I ever have an Agetha poster on my dorm wall.  I would have been drubbed out of the cool rockers club.  :cool:   That spot was, and acceptably reserved for Stevie Nicks.   

This particular album is the best of the studio lot, but it is has a lot of weak filler spots.  The known hits are great, and the filler is mostly gimickry stuff, as almost self parodization.   And for that reason, instead of investing in any one of their 9 albums, stick with one of their 12 compliation offerings.  There really isn't much to discuss around the musianship.  It comes across in some ways no better than studio musicans. This band in essence, are steeped into world class hooks, with very good vocalizations, and harmonizations that are top notch.  It is a relaxing listen, so no need to over analyze.

Fun Fact: I was kind of shocked to find out that this was Abba's only studio album that reached Platinum status in the U.S.  There were 2 top 20 songs, which was a norm for Abba in their career  They were the ultimate '45's pop group.

Side 1-
-------------

Eagle- FX laden and off tangented effort.  Not an especially great start.  Not the worst on the LP, but mediocre. 6

Take a Chance on Me- Beautiful harmonies and incredible hook lines.  One of Abba's classics. 1

One Man, One Woman- Channeled their worst Anne Murray on this one, some interesting piano at end provides a slight, just slight bit of redemption.  7

Name of the Game-  Another melodic classic.  Nothing complex or cerebral here.  Just masterful pop.  The trailing background Trumpet is  nice touch too. 2

Side 2-
-----------

Move On-  Caribbean ridiculousness , rife with harpischord and steel drums.   A big swing and miss. 9

Hole in Your Soul-  Abba's attempt at a more hardrocking sound.  Tune has an Elton John feel to it.  As absurd as that concept seems, the song isn't that bad.  I guess Saturday can be alright for fighting ....  In Sweden.   5

Thankyou For the Music.-  Broadway-ish like song that was a staple in their playlist, as kind of a strange  self ode their music .  4

I Wonder (Deprture)-  The sleeper.  It is ballad in nature, but has some of the better songwritng on the LP.  This final trio on the album was apparently intended to encompass what would be the bones of a musical.  And this one is the top tier of this group- 3

I'm  a Merionette- Overboard show tune.  Forced dramatic singing with impinged rock guitar, and a disco strings add?  Give me a break. 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njmPGVHxH7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcW4WAOT1us

catfish1957:
Open invitation to anyone who would like particpate in providing some album reviews. 

In 2 years, I've only been able to cover about 160.  Considering how many 10's or even 100's of thousands have been made, there are so many that deserve discussion.

Sighlass:
Abba....

Nutshell. Loved em.

Closest clone: Bucks Fizz (I think a beer brand in England) came close about 4 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThGD3wLpSLs

berdie:
Well, although ABBA wasn't a titan of true rock and roll...they were pretty good at what they did. :laugh:

I used to have season tickets to the musicals in Dallas. The touring company did MaMa Mia one year. Probably one the most fun I've ever had a musical. Everyone knew the songs and sang along.

catfish1957:
Classic Rock Album of the Day- April Wine - Power Play (1982). ***

Hate to start on a sad note to start this review.  Didn't realize that  few months that lead singer, lead guitar, and principle song writer of April Wine, Myles Goodwyn had passed away at age 75.  This one really went under the radar. RIP.   April Wine is a fantastic Canadian outfit that made 16 studio albums between 1971-2006.  They pretty much were only a big deal in their own country, until about 1979, when they came out with their first  great hit "Roller".  From there, they made in my estimation 3 excellent albums that really elevated them in the AORisphere.  Harder... Faster, Nature of the Beast, and Power Play.   All were really good.  All three were on almost level footing, and a wise investment of vinyl.  All being near, equal, I defaulted to Power Play, because it was the only one of the three available in its entirety on YT.

April Wine easily should be in the all time top 10 in music from Canada, and the fact they had the persisitence and drive to last 7 albums before cracking the U.S. market says a lot  I can't explain why, but the band did peak during these 3, and subsequent stuff in the mid 1980's onward, though not bad, never was able to recapture that magic. Was it the 4 year hiatus 1988-1992?   Not sure how much was lineup changes were to writers block either.  And since the creative center of the band was Goodwyn, maybe no one could pull up the slack. 

One thing that kind of killed the popularity was that arena rock was slowly dying.  But for those 3, they put together a strong effort.  They were masters of power chording that from the reviewer's perspective is a long last art that defined an era.  Band also does a good job of harmonies and unique licks to stay fresh and current in that dying age of AOR.  Sadly, the multi (2/3) wailing and fighting axes were dropping like flies..  And finally I'd be amiss to give another big middle finger to the sham of rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland.  Not including April Wine to the rolls is a joke.

Fun Fact:  Goodwyn was the only constant in April Wine,  and the only member to appear in all their albums.

Side 1-
------------

Anything You Want, You Got It-  Excellent start with a heavy piece that highlights some great fighting wailing guitar. 2

Enough is Enough- What a great song.  Unique hooks that mixes well as melodic powerpunch.  Has that almost '70's nostalgic feel that hits the mark.  Best cut on the LP 1

If You See Kay-  Van Halen had already played cute with For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge.  I guess there is an appeal to teen guys on double entendre  word play.  Bluezy base not in the their best effort or music direction 8

What if We Fall in Love- Obligatory ballad.  Not bad, or that good for that matter  6

Witing on a Miracle- Decent medium rocker that sounds like a blend of Bon Jovi and Rick Springfield. 4

Side 2-
-----------

Doin' It Right-  Kind of a barrel house, rock-a-billy feel that does a decent job off-genred.  3

A'int Got Your Love- Standard rocker that has some very intresting guitar mixing.  Another one that harkens niceley to early '70's style. 5

Blood Money- Not the best effort from the group songwriting or performance.  In fact its pretty bad. 9

Tell Me Why- Arghhhhh!!!.  Gawd awful Beatles cover.  It's bad enough trying to do a cover from one of the all time greats, but when you suck at it, it makes it that much more cringe worthy- 10

Runners in the Night-  Another rather weak effort that I guess tries to emulate Hendrix/ Trower, ....nope. 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPFzhY4imBQ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version