Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 121118 times)

Offline berdie

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1175 on: January 10, 2024, 10:27:55 pm »
As always , you nailed the Stones perfectly @catfish1957 .

Don't get me wrong, I like the Stones (sadly never got to see them) and admire the way they can still keep up the pace they do, but their albums were always a disappointment to me. Usually the best pieces on the albums were the ones that made the top 20. The rest, mediocre at best. That, in my experience, isn't the same with even lesser known artists. The biggest problem I see in today's world is just downloading one song. Sometimes the rest of the album (or whatever they call it these days) is better than the one that makes it to the radio.

You are correct, as I said. Best to buy a "best of". I will say that you picked one of my fav Stones albums. :laugh:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1176 on: January 11, 2024, 04:58:57 am »
@catfish1957

BTW,Mick is 80  years old now. Who EVER thought that anybody  (except for Keef Richards,of course) from any 60's rock band would live to be 40?

The audacity to make an album within the last year at age 80 is impressive as hell to me.  Think about it...  their debut album was in 1964, and Jagger was jamming with Richards as early as 1961. Hell, I was just out of diapers.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1177 on: January 11, 2024, 05:08:28 am »

Don't get me wrong, I like the Stones (sadly never got to see them) and admire the way they can still keep up the pace they do, but their albums were always a disappointment to me. Usually the best pieces on the albums were the ones that made the top 20.

You are correct, as I said. Best to buy a "best of". I will say that you picked one of my fav Stones albums. :laugh:

One thing I always thought was innovative on their behalf, was the bands ability to infuse what was musically trendy, just slightly, and stealthly..from Brit Invasion, to AOR, to punk/new wave, to grunge, etc. etc, etc. to their solid blues base.  And make it sound fresh and current.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1178 on: January 11, 2024, 05:14:30 am »
Part of the fun of doing these reviews is listening to some of the newer stuff (at least new from my POV)

I had pretty much only been familar with maybe 10% of Primus' works, but after expanding the ear, I am impressed as hell.
Would like to do a review of one of the first 4 (below), but can't decide.  Any requests or suggestions?

Frizzle Fry (1990)
Sailing the Seas of Cheese (1991)
Pork Soda (1993)
Tales from the Punchbowl (1995)

Have done the same with NIN.  Incredible throughout Reznor's career.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 03:36:09 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1179 on: January 11, 2024, 06:36:17 am »
I had a couple of Enya albums back in the day. Really like listening to them with one caveat.

Do not play in the car. She can make you sleepy, and the next thing you know you could be in trouble.

Some of the deepest bass gets released out from her songs that you don't notice without a good system. Better than most pop music/rap/dance/hip-hop.... Gut wrenching beautiful bass... @Gefn

Dang I still miss my bachelor days car stereo system.... I was partially the reason that sound ordinances were passed in towns... I think I would take a pot shot at myself if I met my dopelerganger from the past.

-------------------------------------

On a side note... I am still collecting 80s rarities.... Here is a list of my latest finds... and odds are nobody here has heard more than one or two of them. Don't get me wrong, I like popular stuff too, but I crave the rarities now days.

Number  Name                                                                         
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1  3D - Dance To Believe (Extended Version).mp3                                 
     2  Adventures In Paradise - You'll Never Know (Ext).mp3                         
     3  Air Crew - Change Of Heart.mp3                                               
     4  All Good Children - Tonight.mp3                                               
     5  Android A 21st Century Band - Without You Again.mp3                           
     6  Beyond All Means - Empty Spaces.mp3                                           
     7  Big City - You and I.mp3                                                     
     8  Blue - Riders On The Storm.mp3                                               
     9  Boys From The East - Brilliant (7'').mp3                                     
    10  Boyzone - Blueprints.mp3                                                     
    11  Bully Boy - I Don't Remember.mp3                                             
    12  Burning Skies Of Elysium - One Afternoon.mp3                                 
    13  Care - On The White Cloud (Instr).mp3                                         
    14  Catch 22 - Way Of Life (Flashback Mix).mp3                                   
    15  Chalk Circle - No April Fool (April 2nd Mix).mp3                             
    16  Charlotte's Web - Victoria.mp3                                               
    17  Colin Newman - Better Later Than Never.mp3                                   
    18  Curt Lawrence - Vision in Blue (Instr).mp3                                   
    19  D-Day - Desperation.mp3                                                       
    20  Dana Terrell - Not Talkin'.mp3                                               
    21  Darkroom - San Paku (Extended 12'' Mix).mp3                                   
    22  De Blanche - Numbers.mp3                                                     
    23  Degrees of Freedom - August Is An Angel.mp3                                   
    24  Demars - Love Tonight.mp3                                                     
    25  Dhuo -  Walkin' (Dub).mp3                                                     
    26  Dhuo - Walkin' (LP Ver).mp3                                                   
    27  Do It Now - Fugitive From The Grey.mp3                                       
    28  Dramatis - Lady DJ (Heavy Edit).mp3                                           
    29  Duane O'Kane - Out Of This World.mp3                                         
    30  Dubstar - Anywhere (Original Version).mp3                                     
    31  Dubstar - Elevator Song (Biff & Memphis).mp3                                 
    32  Dubstar - Elevator Song (Original Version).mp3                               
    33  Duty Free - The Point Of Return.mp3                                           
    34  Ember Days - Shades Of Evening.mp3                                           
    35  Erth - You & I.mp3                                                           
    36  Except For Access - All I Ever Had.mp3                                       
    37  Exit - No Respect.mp3                                                         
    38  Eye To Ice - Love And War.mp3                                                 
    39  Fantasia - Summer Fantasy.mp3                                                 
    40  Fantasia - This Old Town.mp3                                                 
    41  Fear Of Flying - Not Enough.mp3                                               
    42  Fear of Flying - Tears Fall.mp3                                               
    43  Fruits of Passion - Kiss Me Now (Ext).mp3                                     
    44  Gary O' - Shades Of 45' (Full Length Version).mp3                             
    45  Generra - Don't Cut Me.mp3                                                   
    46  Generra - Girls in the Hearts.mp3                                             
    47  Georgie's Revenge - Love Me.mp3                                               
    48  Gerry Cott - Ballad Of The Lone Ranger.mp3                                   
    49  Glass Museum - A Friend Departed 1984.mp3                                     
    50  Gris Regard - We'll Fly Away.mp3                                             
    51  Hambi And The Dance - L'image Craque.mp3                                     
    52  Hitlist - Into The Fire (Full Version).mp3                                   
    53  Home And Garden - Sir Flea (edit).mp3                                         
    54  Howard Hughes - West Of Pecos (Tom Mix).mp3                                   
    55  Humanoids On Parade - Come Dream With Me.mp3                                 
    56  Idyl Prophets - Feel The Rain.mp3                                             
    57  Impossible Dreamers - Say Goodbye To No One (Extended).mp3                   
    58  Intaferon - Baby Pain.mp3                                                     
    59  Invisible Limits - Golden Dreams (New Order Edit).mp3                         
    60  Invisible Limits - Golden Dreams (Radio Edit).mp3                             
    61  Invisible Limits - How To Be Sure (Radio-Mix).mp3                             
    62  Jacuzzi - Happens All The Time.mp3                                           
    63  Johansen - Walkin' A Fine Line (Long).mp3                                     
    64  Johansen - Walkin' A Fine Line (Special Fine Mix).mp3                         
    65  John E. Loren - Regrets (A Thousand).mp3                                     
    66  Jullan - Mysterious Marionette.mp3                                           
    67  Junco Run - Secrets And Silence.mp3                                           
    68  K2 - The Body.mp3                                                             
    69  Kid D. & The Nightshades - Sensation Boys.mp3                                 
    70  Kingdoms - Heartland (7'' Version).mp3                                       
    71  Lama - Nineteen Ninety Three.mp3                                             
    72  Last Gentleman - Everyday (Your Love Wears A Different Face).mp3             
    73  Luke - Nothing At All (Original Version).mp3                                 
    74  Maiden England - If My Mother Should See Me.mp3                               
    75  Max Strom - American Girl.mp3                                                 
    76  Medea - Nothing Stays The Same.mp3                                           
    77  Messengers - I Turn In (To You) (Extended).mp3                               
    78  Metropolis - Wheels Of Time.mp3                                               
    79  Moving Targetz - Whisper In the Wind (Monitor Mix).mp3                       
    80  Nervous Germans - Invisible Sign 2013.mp3                                     
    81  Nervous Germans - Summer of Love.mp3                                         
    82  New Continent - Open Your Eyes.mp3                                           
    83  New Models - Silent Running.mp3                                               
    84  New Musik - Magazine Musik.mp3                                               
    85  New Musik - Sanctuary.mp3                                                     
    86  Niagara Calls - All Your Love.mp3                                             
    87  Nina Persson - Animal Heart.mp3                                               
    88  No You Turn - Words Fall Down.mp3                                             
    89  No You Turn - X Mas Song.mp3                                                 
    90  Nocera - Summertime Summertime (Club Mix).mp3                                 
    91  Only Human - Wondering.mp3                                                   
    92  Operating Theatre - Spring is Coming with a Strawberry in the Mouth (12'').mp3
    93  P.H.B - I'm Fine.mp3                                                         
    94  Panic - Midnight.mp3                                                         
    95  Paul V. - It Was Love.mp3                                                     
    96  Pep - Never.mp3                                                               
    97  Perfect Strangers - The Love That Turned Away.mp3                             
    98  Perfect Strangers - Without you (Extended Version) (83).mp3                   
    99  Plane of Section - Looking at Pictures of You.mp3                             
   100  Private Blue - She's Love (12  Version).mp3                                   
   101  Red Weather - Bad Guys Stay Away On A Cloudy Day.mp3                         
   102  Robert Kishore - Tropical Fantasy.mp3                                         
   103  Rococo - I Need To Surrender.mp3                                             
   104  Rok-Etz - Under The Sun.mp3                                                   
   105  Rupert Hine & Cy Curnin - With One Look (12in).mp3                           
   106  Sacred Moment - Symphony.mp3                                                 
   107  Schmutz - Far Away.mp3                                                       
   108  Scott Matthews - Boats In Rivers.mp3                                         
   109  Scott Matthews - Elsewhere.mp3                                               
   110  Scott Matthews - Shelter from the Wind.mp3                                   
   111  Scott Matthews - Ship of Embers.mp3                                           
   112  Second Language - In Shadows.mp3                                             
   113  Sensible Shoes - Lone Star Hero.mp3                                           
   114  Shoc Corridor - My Secret In The East.mp3                                     
   115  Slow Progress - Mask.mp3                                                     
   116  Sontiche - Heart Of Shame.mp3                                                 
   117  Soundtrack - Ghosts Of Love (12 Inch).mp3                                     
   118  Soundtrack - Ghosts of Love (Magnums  Mix).mp3                               
   119  Special Division - Keep Searching.mp3                                         
   120  Stabilizers - Found Rome.mp3                                                 
   121  Step Chant Unit - Painting Pictures.mp3                                       
   122  Steve Allen - Letter From My Heart (Original).mp3                             
   123  Steve Kent - Twelfth House (Extended).mp3                                     
   124  Strange Moves - Only When We Touch.mp3                                       
   125  Style - Telephone  (Remix).mp3                                               
   126  Telekin - Things Worth Keeping.mp3                                           
   127  Ten Ten - Silver Heaven.mp3                                                   
   128  Terry Scott Taylor - A Briefing For The Ascent.mp3                           
   129  Testcard F - Unfamiliar Room.mp3                                             
   130  Testpattern - Souvenir Glacé.mp3                                             
   131  Thane - Romance Down The Drain.mp3                                           
   132  The Bernhardts - Send Your Heart To Me (Extended Mix).mp3                     
   133  The Cardigans - Lovefool (Tee's Club Radio).mp3                               
   134  The Keep - Not So Wonderful.mp3                                               
   135  The Knives - The Lonely One.mp3                                               
   136  The Lucy Show - Miles Up In The Sky.mp3                                       
   137  The Nits - Port of Amsterdam.mp3                                             
   138  The Orchids - Lovechild.mp3                                                   
   139  The Orchids - Obsession 1.mp3                                                 
   140  The Orchids - Striving For The Lazy Perfection.mp3                           
   141  The Play - Running Out Of Time.mp3                                           
   142  The Press Club - I'm Watching You.mp3                                         
   143  The Principle - Kimberley.mp3                                                 
   144  The Promise - Away, Away (Adventure Mix).mp3                                 
   145  The Promise - Away, Away (Single).mp3                                         
   146  The Promise - Heart To Sell.mp3                                               
   147  The Psalms - A Story I Was Told.mp3                                           
   148  The Ride - Strip Me Naked.mp3                                                 
   149  The Safe - Untrue Untrue.mp3                                                 
   150  The Sun And The Moon - The Price Of Grain.mp3                                 
   151  The Talk - Out My Window.mp3                                                 
   152  The Valley Forge - Escape.mp3                                                 
   153  The Voices - I Wish It Wasn't True.mp3                                       
   154  The Waterfront - Be With You (Extended).mp3                                   
   155  The Window Speaks - In The Land Of Christobal (Extended).mp3                 
   156  The Window Speaks - Invisible.mp3                                             
   157  Thomas Van Dyke - Japan May Never Be.mp3                                     
   158  Tirez Tirez - Set The Timer (Guitar Mix).mp3                                 
   159  Tirez Tirez - Set The Timer (Original).mp3                                   
   160  Tokyo - Paint It Black (Extended).mp3                                         
   161  Tomboy - ''Y'' (Dub).mp3                                                     
   162  Tony Martin - Barriers (7'').mp3                                             
   163  Too Vacant - Faster.mp3                                                       
   164  Turning Keys - See You Crying.mp3                                             
   165  Unit E - Don't Turn Away.mp3                                                 
   166  Unit E - We Are Dancing.mp3                                                   
   167  United State - Glass Knight (7'' Version).mp3                                 
   168  Untitled Red - Sunday Song.mp3                                               
   169  Veldt - Ghost Child.mp3                                                       
   170  Vis-A-Vis - Another Time.mp3                                                 
   171  Visions In Winter - The Calling.mp3                                           
   172  Viva Voce - Tender Life Came.mp3                                             
   173  Voices - Images.mp3                                                           
   174  Watchers - The Shadow Knows.mp3                                               
   175  Wayne Sleep - Man To Man (Full Version).mp3                                   
   176  West End Dance Project - 92 In The Shade (7'').mp3                           
   177  West Of Eden - I'll Follow You.mp3                                           
   178  White China - How I Wish (Instrumental Remix).mp3                             
   179  Wildland - One For Unity (12'' Ext Mix).mp3                                   
   180  Wolff Tycoon - Just A Thought (Instr).mp3                                     
   181  X-checker - Like to get to know You.mp3                                       
   182  Yin Yang - My Life.mp3                                                       
   183  You - Line Of Fire.mp3                                                       
   184  YYZ - Talking To You.mp3                                                     
   185  Zerra 1 - Rescue Me (Power Mix).mp3     

Example below of one of the songs... just a random one from the list.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs7o7aL-8bA

-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

Edit: Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread Catfish... (I will go lurk in the corner again).... but warning, I lunge out when ya least expect it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:24:57 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1180 on: January 14, 2024, 01:41:07 pm »
Some of the deepest bass gets released out from her songs that you don't notice without a good system. Better than most pop music/rap/dance/hip-hop.... Gut wrenching beautiful bass... @Gefn

Dang I still miss my bachelor days car stereo system.... I was partially the reason that sound ordinances were passed in towns... I think I would take a pot shot at myself if I met my dopelerganger from the past.

-------------------------------------

On a side note... I am still collecting 80s rarities.... Here is a list of my latest finds... and odds are nobody here has heard more than one or two of them. Don't get me wrong, I like popular stuff too, but I crave the rarities now days.

Edit: Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread Catfish... (I will go lurk in the corner again).... but warning, I lunge out when ya least expect it.

No hijack at all, and thanks for the list.  I usually like to throw some obscurity into the mix, i.e, Synergy, among others, but you've given me an excellent starting point to find some more of  those hidden gems.  Saw that one band was YYZ.  I know there is a Rush cover band by that name.  The same guys?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1181 on: January 14, 2024, 03:17:42 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Social Distortion - White Heat, White Light. White Trash (1996) ***

Several pages ago, I coined the phrase Van Halen Factor (VHF).  That is or was bands that the listener was better off buying one of a few or several compliaton albums instead of any given one.   Social Distrotion fits that bill.  This is a great band, with incredible energy.  From the persepctive of punk pioneers, they are very  good mix of the two sides....   The humorous (Ramones) and the angry (Sex Pistols/Clash).  I do love how Ness and his bad boys blend the head bouncing time frame of '70's punk with mosh pit mashers of his era.   

When you see (watch some YT clips) and hear Ness and Co.,, you can tell that these are guys who aren't artificial, fake, or prententious in their trade. These guys seem to perform from their perspective of sorrow and anger with incredible emotion.  Social Distortion also has nice streak of versatility that you normally don't see in modern punk rockers.  In his repetiore you will find metal, ballads, country and straight up rock and roll.  If there is one detraction to Social Distortion is that they recycle their riffs and meter way too much.  I know plenty of punk bands do this, but the Ramones were the only ones who were able to intentionally pull that off as part of their persona and charm.

I have been wanting to review one of SD's albums for easily a year now.  I think I changed my mind about 4 times, focusing on what I thought are their best 3.  This one from '96, their last and swan song Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes from '11, and Self Titled in '90.  Against my normal tendenices, I went with the one with the one song that i liked the best in their catalog.  "I was Wrong".   But be aware, and as I said at the onset, not every song is good, it has that incessant punk redundancy, and overt anger that sometmes overides the musical content. 

Fun Fact:  Number of songs to chart Top 50?  Zero.  This band did it skating under the radar.  Good for them.

Track No.
--------------

1. Dear Lover-  SD starts the proceeding with a standard rocker that comes off kind of like something Kiss would do in the early '70's.  Similar chord progressions, 4/4 drum tam bumps,  but just add Mike Ness growls and anger.    Good start. 5

2. Don't Drag Me Down-  Some serious nice guitar work by Ness on this.  Guy's really good on his Gibsons, and he uses two of the three of my favorites, SG's and Les Pauls.  Not 100% sure, but I think this may be when he made the conversion.  SG's have a bolder sound, but if you want fast and flashy?....   4

3. Untitled-  Unique song title that has that level of despair that characterize many of Ness' tunes.  The riffs?  Recycled, and not the first time.  10

4. I Was Wrong-  The Crowned Jewel of the entire Social Distortion discography.  I will go as far, as saying this song makes it in my top 10 rock songs of the entire 1990's.  Every aspect in this song clicks perfectly and comes together like a charm.   It does have the same structure of a lot of other SD tunes.  But never have I heard a song that so well blended punk and hard rock.  Heartfelt, personal, and emotions of a guy that has lived, learned, and experienced a hard life.  His ability to translate that emotion to vinyl is incredible.  If you don't feel this one (almost quoting Pedo Joe), you ain't a Rocker. 1

5. Through These Eye-  Same emotion and power, but with a less effective musical vehicle. 6

6. Down On the World Again-  Same metering and riffs, but with a little more ax shredding, and Ramones like tempo.  Mike's one angry guy that is for sure. 7

7. When the Angels Sing- Even in its repetetiveness, 75% of the time, you can find some redeeming stuff.  In SD's heavy edged world, this almost qualifies as a ballad.  Ness' obesseion with prisons and prisoners has that Johnny Cash vibe to it.  In kind of another fun fact, Ness actually does on another album Cash's "Ring of Fire"...   And very well I might add. 3

8. Gotta Know the Rules -  Has kind of a Judas Priest thrashish metal feel to it  "Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law.!!!!" I really liked it. 2

9. Crown of Thorns- Seems Ness is running on empty on songwriting skills here.  More anger, less effect.  11

10. Pleasure Seeker-  See above.  10

11. Down Here (With the Rest of Us)- A little redemption from the previous 2.  Innovative riffing, and drumming.  Very disimilar from the rest of the album.  It's like someone said to Ness.....   You can't make a dozen songs on an album that sound all alike" 8

12. Under My Thumb- Silly remake of the Stones classic.  Docked at least 3-4 rankings for dumbassery.  12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPZ7l7BZP0E
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 03:18:39 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1182 on: January 14, 2024, 03:58:00 pm »
Wanted to say that there is a standing offer to anyone who would like to add Rock Album reviews.....

Love to hear some other's perspective.  And there have to be some gems I am overlooking, or haven't gotten to yet. It's hard to try to do one a day or every other day.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1183 on: January 14, 2024, 11:04:29 pm »
Wanted to say that there is a standing offer to anyone who would like to add Rock Album reviews.....

Love to hear some other's perspective.  And there have to be some gems I am overlooking, or haven't gotten to yet. It's hard to try to do one a day or every other day.

@catfish1957

The Marshall Tucker Band.

Toy and Tommy Caldwell were as good as it gets if you like bluesy country music. This is the title track from one of their albums. I,personally don't think it's the best song on the album,but everybody has opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKvkZnF1MY

This one is one of my favorite songs,period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlc6xCPx60U
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 11:05:58 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1184 on: January 30, 2024, 07:22:04 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Silvertide- Show and Tell. (2004) *** 1/2

Thought I'd stop by briefly, and share a gem that asks the question, is this particular album the very last AOR album in rock history.  This is now a hugely obscure band and album that fell off the map, not for the matter of talent, but they played stuff that was dated to the masses that had devolved into latter grunge, industrial, and nuevo punk.  If these guys would have been born 30-40 years earlier, and produced this stuff, they'd be charting with the likes of Aerosmith, Van Halen, Boston, et. al. 

They've got a really edgy slightly bluezy that almost almost harkens to somewhat of an Aerosmith sound, but still uniquely different.  And the album is suprisingly consistently good.  The sound has that nostalgically relicly good feel that makes many of us sad that stuff like this is a thing of the past.  Of course and in the course of obscurity, no one knows or even has heard of anyone in this band,  But there is a significant amount of competency on every instrument.  And they capture what I feel is a real Humble Pie like instrumental like interplay that reall rocks.  the solos hit home, the bass lines fill the product with that wall of sound that hit us like bricks in the '70's.  Listening to this album is like a nostalgic trip, except these are people who were born in the mid 1980's   I think many of you will be pleasantly surprised with  today's addition.

Fun Fact:  One studio album.  Very sad, one and done,  We used to see relic bands mimicking decades long gone by. (See the Stray Cats in the earl 1980's)  The music industry has obviously lost any idea of that concept.

Track
----------

1.  A'int Comin' Home-  The hit, and deservedly so.  This massively rocks, and is as good as anything we had in the 1970's .  Has that massive Humble Pie feel, but honestly is as great as that band was, this is as good or better than anything they did.  Perfect rock song, awesome chord progressions, blueszy voice, and excellent guitar solos. 1

2. Devil's Daughter- This one has more of a Honky Tonk Woman angle to it,   It sounds nothing like the Stones, but does have that meter to it Good to medium on a song that is pretty damned conistent- 5

3. So F__king Crazy-  Yeah, I know back in our era, the RIAA, and society in general wouldn't have allowed expletives like this, but for the matter of the song, this one more channels something like you would have heard more from Aerosmith back in the mid 1970's.  I am not saying they are plagarizing sounds, but part of the problem of making a great album in 2004, is that there is something and everything to draw from previously.  Reznor kind of hit on the matter a decade earlier with "Copy of A",   Exceellent on its own merit IMO. 4

4. California Rain- Mabe the most unique to their own style.  If I were to pick the most simiar sound, I'd have to go with some late 1960's Blue Cheer. Again when you post date rock to 2004, it is almost impossible not to sound like someone.  Fine song. 3

5. Blue Jeans- This one has more of a 1990's Alice in Chains or Blind Melon Sound-  Decent, but not great 8

6. Mary Jayne- Chaotic massively Aerosmithic like.  Very good solo work. Joe Perry would be proud.   Sleeper status on my list on this one.  2

7. Heartstrong- Are yoy kidding?  Even by 2004, you;d think bands would skip the balladry stuff, unless they are Heart or other bands who do them right- 11

8. To See Where I Hide- Another one that kind of harkens to an Aerosmith sound, which much less success. 7

9. You Want it All- Another ballad.  No thanks. 10

10. Nothing Stays- Is it me, but do I hear some Skynrd like sync patterned like phrasing and sound.  Not exactly, and the sound of a band that I just can't put a finger on. 9

11. Foxhole J.C. - Innovative in that is mostly unique from the sounds of other tunes on the CD.  The fluttering solos are a nice touch, and something I hadn't heard in decades. 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRQ2ksiCVj4

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 06:59:07 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1185 on: February 01, 2024, 06:51:50 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band- Night Moves (1976) *** 1/2

Bob Seger and his band of upper Midwest journeymen had already had a very decent second tier of level sucess from the late 1960's to 1976,  But that success was limited geographically to that area, and the band was relegated to sub-headliner status of their first 8 albums.  In fact none of these charted in the Top 50 for the duration.  Then somthing massively changed in 1976, where he and the band took their blue eyed Detroit soul and took on a more mainstream feel.  I wouldn't insult it as AOR fodder, but it was certain that he had taken the liberty to broaden his appeal.     He had made some serious lineup changes, and that blend of talent and chemistry, plus some songwriting prowess propelled him and his band to superstar status.  The songwriting upped its game and focused on the more personal  and societal aspects of the human condition.  And the Rocket took off.  Outside a very occasional cut like Rambling Gambling Man on Beaker Street, this band pretty much prior performed under the radar.  Not a bad band, but one that sure wasn't one that was many's top 10 in the least.

I know of one Briefer here who claims Seger killled Disco.  I am not really sure I agree fully with that , but I will grant that he helped.  IMO Disco as a genre died to due  oversaturation,   a tired fad, and shit like songs like Disco Duck.  The whole damned thing became a parody of itself by about 1978.  The Song "Old Time Rock and Roll" from the next album "Stranger in Town" was a great anthem that rockers rang out, helping us sing with joy and give the finger to  the demise of Disco.  Of course the spectacle of Tom Cruise in his underware sullied the final legacy of that song.

To Seger's credit the consecutive trio of this album, Stranger, and Against the Wind (my favorite of his) were a juggernaunt of massively talented.  This one reached No. 8, and was 6X platinum. His voice was incredibly unique, in that even with that level of gravelness, it came across as smooth and seemeless in the delivery.  He had a great supporting cast too.  The Muscle Shoals outfit, though, with the lack of a big name player, gave the band a fantastic foundation sound that as many of you know still dominates classic rock stations today.

Seger's best is Agaisnt the Wind, which I have previously discussed.  No. 2, is bascally a tie between Night Moves and Stranger in Town.  Both are great on their own merits.  It was almost a coin flip, and for this exercise didn't even have the option to use the one with video access.  The VEVO/YT Gestapo have a tight wrap on these two, so I won't be able to share the entire album.  I will add what I feel are the best few singularly though.

Fun Fact:  There was an 8 year drought for Seger charting top 20 singles between 1968 (Ramblin' Gamblin' Man')  and 1976 (Night Moves).  That is some determination, and persistence, especially in the Music Industry.

Side 1-
-----------

Rock and Roll Never Forgets-  Right out of the chute, you can tell that Seger has shed the Blue Eyed Soul Side, and the first endeavor shows a more histronic side of his music persona.  Much more mainstream sounding, though no less rocking. 4

Night Moves-  Very few songs of the era captured mind sight of life in 1970's better than this.  Lyrically beautiful, and the absolute gold standard of power ballads.  I am sure if you are older than 60 that this one hit a nerve. It did for me. 1

The Fire Down Below-  Good song on a great album.  More of like the soul infused stuff from prior times.  1970 redux.  9

Sunburst- More from the ballad-land part of his catalog at the start, but suddenly starts nicely rocking out.  Love hearing that strat sounding echo like tap in the runs. 7

Side 2-
----------

Sunspot Baby- Blues with that nice rinky-tinky sound that morphs into a really nice "she done me wrong" standard rocker. 8

Mainstreet- Another excellent jab at Americana that Seger did so well on this album.  He makes it feel like you are there with a nice wailing guitar that really isn't blues or rock.  To me.... mid America Americana soundtrack 5

Come Too Poppa- Highly hooked, but absolutely what I feel is the sleeper on the LP.  If this one doesn't get you moving, nothing will.  2

Ship of Fools-  The band stretches their versatility legs and adds a C & W effort.  And as good as almost anything else in that genre in that era. 6

Mary Lou- Sometimes it is forgotten that Seger was pretty elderly in Rock terms by the mid 1970's, and has some roots back to the late 1950's.  No it isn't a rock-a-billy tune, but you sure can tell that Seger has some roots there and wanted to give props to that time.   Good Stuff. 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_kYEDZVno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7cSSKnkL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qpZeLhKSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSELyI-WHkw

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1186 on: February 01, 2024, 09:35:17 am »
I was told by  someone who claimed to have been from Michigan,and implied he was at least a casual friend of Seger,that he quit touring for a few years after he started having children so he could spend his time with  them.

I have no idea if that is true or not,but I would like to  think it was.

BTW,I was also told that he and Kid Rock were good friends.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1187 on: February 02, 2024, 09:48:54 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Primus- Pork Soda (1993) *** 1/2

I am not too proud to admit when I am late to the party.  There was a time in the late 1980's and early 1990's, that I considered bands like NIN and Primus as generators of nonsensical random noise. Doing these reviews the past few years has broadened my POV, around certain bands.  Some of the bands  don't sound as good as I remember, and then there are some that these that are fantastic that I had dismissed earlier.  The two above mentioned are two prime examples of that , and giving these two bands a "first" listen is like openng presents on Christmas Morning.

Primus is a 3 member ensamble that are incredibly talented at each craft.  Of course the band's crown jewel is front man and bassist (Les Claypool) , who takes innovation on the 4 string to stratsopheric heights. He does things on the bass that seem too defy human ability.  Guitarist Larry Ledonde suffers from the same ailment as Alex Lifeson, in having a massive talent, but being overshadowed by a band mate(s) that are considered among the greatest of all time.  The same with their initial drummer.   

Putting a genre label on this band is almost impossible, but I'll give it a shot. (IMO) It is light variable mix of Zappa, Beefheart, Bizzaro-Jazz,  Psychadaelia, and with a dash of funk.  The music, lyrics, and everything else about this band is an "11" on the 10 point "Peculiar" scale.  I can imagine that Primus has to be one of the  GOATs too, among the 420 and Halluogen  crowd.  Claypools use of the odd time changes, jazzish improv, and wildly out of the blue strange  lyrics and themes, makes him and his band a one of a kind.   I can also see why his craziness was a fan favorite too, with the Moshers back in the late '80's/early 90's.

As far as picking one particular album, I do have to admit that I have not had the pleasure of hearing  their entire collection yet.  It does seem that their earlier stuff seems more comical, raw, and innovative.  Though through the career mid point, it seems that every album thus far has something to offer.   At least early on, i was kind of torn between this one, and the "Seas of Cheese" LP. And honestly it was pretty much a coin flip, and with both approaching 4 star status.  BUT........   Like in the case with NIN, listening can be fatigue inducing,  but  for different  reasons.  NIN for the darkness and industrial metal overload.  For Primus, I think it is more of a case that the human brain is more wired for at least some measure of hook, phrasic anticipation and melodic content.  With Primus you are approaching cacaphonic dicourse, with a massive dosage of jazz like randomness.  No less talented though...  And saying their stuff is damned different, and unique is a massive understatement.  If you are an old fogey like me, all I ask is that your leave your previous pre-concepts behind, and give this a band a listen with an open mind.  I also strongly recommend pulling up Claypool's lyrics while listening.  It adds to the listening experience.   

Finally, I also love to bring up the fact that this band exhibits  the ultmate of non-pretentiousness.  They have never taken themselves serious, and the biggest compliment of all is when their fans yell "You Suck" at their shows. To me this adds to the charm and legend.  Mosh on bubba!!!!!!!

Fun Fact:  They are one of the most listened to acts on TV.  You hear them every time Southpark comes on. (Theme Song and Closing Credits)

Track No.
-------------

1. Pork Chop's Little Ditty-  Just a short 20 second country hillbily like intro that sets the tone-   :cool:

2. My Name is Mud-  I might get an argument, but this is the most well known single song by the band.  It's quite likely one of the most innovative works on the 4 string in Rock History.  Claypool's ability to create a bass sound that simutaneously works as percussion is remarkable.   And the lyrics?  It's a song about a redneck who gets into a trivial spat with a city feller, and whacks him with a bat, and then has to dispose of his body.  Standard stuff.   :silly:  1

3. Welcome to This World- More bass wizardry that incoprorates the Southpark like guitar squirrelly like licks. Spectacular and bizzare.  And I have no freakin' idea what Les is singing about on this one. Nonsenical on roids. 4

4. Bob- More of the same craziness, but repeitive phrasing that gives the impression of insanity. Theme is either suicide or auto-erootic asphyxiation. (I guess, and welcome any Primus fans to help me with interpreation)  9

5. DMV- Another musical clinic by the guys.  And his hmmmm..  hmmmm.... homage to the DMV, that  is hilarious.  Compositon skils on this one?  Easily a "9+"  3

6. The Ol' Diamondback Sturgeon (Fisherman's Chronicles, Part 3)-  Maybe one of the most melodic numbers, but still very very strange.  Clyapool's ability to make a classic around catching a fish is amazing. the highi infusion of some psychodelic slants was a nice touch too. 5

7. Nature Boy- More craziness, but from crazy spectacular musicanship too, this is some of the best on the album. 2

8.Wounded Knee- Multifaceted xylphoone piece that seems out of place, and needless. Album's darned good, but not perfect 13

9. Pork Soda- Not the best effort in the title track.  Claypool taking the wierdness lyrically up a notch is a massive understatement. 9

10. The Pressman- Not sure how much is in the truth of the persona of Claypool, or just a editorial on writing. More of the Strange.  8

11. Mr. Krinkle- Seems this one is for sure from personal interaction with another musican. (According to Genius Lyrics) That being  with Faith No More's Drummer, and their banter on the road.  One of the few that actually make sense.  How many of you remember Faith No More.   7

12. The Air is Gettimg Slippery- Sounds strangely like The Who's "Tommy's Holiday Camp" It also has a strange reference to Pink Floyd.  Not a good addition, or any intent.  Drug induced I guess. 12

13. Hamburger Train-  Instrumental Jam that showcases their talents nicely- 6

14. Pork Chop's Little Ditty- See Track 1

15. Hail Santa- Basically sounds like Clapool tuning his bass, but bonus points for how it is presented.  10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8WGVYxG5Ng
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:20:45 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1188 on: February 03, 2024, 06:23:42 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Buddy Holly- The Chirping Crickets (1957) ** 1/2

Today in the Rock Vocabulary is known as the Day That the Music Died. On this date in 1959, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and J.P Richardson died in a snowstorm induced plane crash in Northern Iowa.  All three were charting acts who were seeding the trees of Rock and Roll.   It has been a lot of debate of where Holly sat in the pantheon of Rock direction.  I don't think there is any argument that Elvis had the most influence, but a strong case could be made for Holly as No.2.  When you hear his stuff there is that 4/4 chordal structure and playing and feel that can be heard in early Beatles music.  In fact the Beatles admitted their name was a name sake as a bug to Holly's Crickets.

There is nothing spectacular or elaborate in the content or presentation, and in fact, I am not 100% sure, but if Holly  wrote 50% of his catalog, I'd be surprised.  But what he did have was very very different from the rest of the rockabilly product in the late 1950's.  It had that phrasing and style that basically redefined the decade change 1950's to 1960's. 

It might surprise some that today's album was the only one of three studio album in Holly's career, and the only one that  creditied the band, in name.  Though they played in the latter two.  I have no idea, but maybe it was for the same reason the Jordanaires were left off in Elvis-world.  The front man persona thing I guess.    And last, reviewing my parent's music and an album made the year I was born, am I  really being fair or bias free. Probably not.   I truly understand the histroric significance, but I just can't get past the dated sound of it.  But,, I am sure there are plenty of Gen Z's who say the same about Zeppelin. 

Fun Fact:  And the least kept triva secret question of all time.  For those who do not know Rock and Roll History:  Country legend Waylon Jenning gave up his seat on that fated plane trip in 1959 to J.P. Richardson...  "The Big Bopper".  So not only was Rock highly impacted but so was the future of Outlaw Country.

Side 1-
-----------

Oh Baby- Big hit for Holly, and nicely hooked, and guitar runs that were excellent for the time.   2

Not Fade Away-   Very influential to a lot of the resurgence of '80's rockabilly acts.  Synced in that ....  "Whoooooo Do You Love" Stuff 3

You've Got Love- Standard sappy '50's balladry, not good, especially in Holly standards.  12

Maybe Baby- Nice piece that has that hollow sounding guitar that harkens to Surfer Rock that shows up in about 5 years.  4

It's Too Late-  Chuck Willis remake from doo wop era, and done decently.  Holly did nicely blending the rockabilly and R&B stuff, which in essence is a lot of how and what rock became into the early to mid '60's.  7

Tell Me How- Pretty much style par wise with Holly's other well known works, just a tad less better.  Extra points for a bass solo though. 8

Side 2-
-----------

That'll Be the Day-  Holly's first and maybe most signature hit. You know the song  has a legacy when the likes of Linda Rondstadt at her height does a cover.  Solo, is some of the best in the late '50's outside a guy named Chuck.  1

I'm Looking For Someone too Love- So true to formula at the time!  This one can't even be saved by a decent solo. 10

An Empty Cup-  The Platters did this kind of stuff better. And Jim Reeves?  Even Better Better .  No Thank You.  11

Send Me Some Lovin' -  Doowop like stuff,  and not that great 9

Last Night-  Doowop, but sang in a ballad style that is the better of this genre on the LP.  Voice inflection is so genuine, that even my sarcastic angle saw it heartfelt.  5

Rock Me My Baby-  Buddy does Elvis. No, not near as good, but not bad either. 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dTdBUR62TA

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1189 on: February 04, 2024, 07:03:01 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Steppenwolf , Self Titled (1968)  *** 1/2

As a mere lad, this was one of my favorite bands.  They were one of the few bands at the time  on this side of the Atlantic that were finding that hard rocking sound and footing that was seperating itself from the hard core hippy fluff.  Steppenwolf made two good albums and then lingered like an obnoxious  drunk at a party for 11 more ('69-'90). This is one of those bands that again is one of those that you are better off getting a complaition album, and especially the one "Gold" released in 1971.  Pretty much everything released after 1971 was shit.

Steppenwolf is centered around the growling John Kay.  His original lineup was solid, though none else ever became the household name he became.  I am not sure what were the dynamics of the band, but Kay must have been hell to work with considering the lineup shifts.  An incredible 26 different people have been a members of Steppenwolf.

This album is by far the best effort by the group, and the second one is decent.  3-13 are only good for frisbees.  In the '70's I was duped   twice buying an LP based on one decent single.   This 1st album is a good listen, and worth the time.  So don't be swayed in that respect.

Fun Fact: Sookie Sookie was relased as an "A" side of the 1st album, and "B" on Magic Carpet Ride off the Second LP.  Shows how shallow their material became after their debut.  And an event that I can't remember happening elsewhere.

Side 1-
------------

Sookie Sookie-   Along with Born to Be Wild the single that introduced Steppenwolf.  I really enjoy the '60's tunes that incorporate the Hammond in a way that augments guitar in 3rds. Great bass line too that makes this one of the stronger ones on the album.-  3

Everbody's Next One-  Another strong one that incorporates some nice '60's typical hooks. Gives impressions of "Go Go Girls", but with some  nice searing guitar solo runs.  More good bass at conclusion for good measure.  Surpising the guy didn't find employmnet after firing. - 5

Berry Rides Again- John Kay gives a rousing tribute to Chuck Berry, not only in name, but the style.  Extra points for gumption and balls.  Berry even in the '70's could grind an ax with the best of 'em..  6

Hootchie Kootchie Man- Taking a cue from Zeppelin, Steppenwolf does an excellent  Willie Dixon remake.  Of course not as good as Page, but who did?  A fine take on it,  And again, infusing the Hammond just adds to the sweet flavor.  4

Born to Be Wild- Steppenwolf's signature song, and a cinematic staple when trying to the bad boy or for motorcycle imagery.  This song was one bad ass add for the movie Easy Rider at the time.  Anyone preparing a songlist on their device in the late 1960's tunes has to have this and Magic Carpet Ride in its content.  Great great rock song.  1

Your Wall's Too High-  IMO was trying to mimic Morrison on this one, with much less success than The Doors.    9

Side 2-
-------------

Desperation-  I often like to highlight what I consider an obscure sleeper on albums.  This is the one on this LP.  It's a sleepy bluezy balladry  kind of song that nicely resonates.  The added distort is an innovative curve that surprisingly works while all other band mates conribute nicely.  Ending solo has a tad of the feel you might have sense in Gilmour's stuff during the same era.  2

The Pusher-  This was a strange oddity...  An anti- drug song in the middle of the psychaedelic era.  And bizzarely from the same songwriter who wrote about Jeremiah the  Bullfrog too.(Hoyt Axton/Three Dog Night)  Psychedelic angling of the song, made it more of a novelty song.  "Cause I seriously doubt this song influenced any drug users or junkies. 11

A Girl I Knew- Harpischord opening doesn't save what I feel is a Byrd's rip off.  Docked accordingly.   8

Take What You Need-   Didn't need filler....  that's all.  10

The Ostrich- The "Who Do You Love" Throughgood/Destroyers sound was more prevalent than i remember.  7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNT_VB9AaU
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:22:26 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline berdie

« Reply #1190 on: February 05, 2024, 10:16:25 pm »
Re: Steppenwolf.  I saw McKay on something several years ago. He looked really, really old. Watching this old guy sing Born to Be Wild cracked me up for some reason. :rolling: But his voice still sounded the same.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1191 on: February 06, 2024, 01:39:36 pm »
RIP to the Patriot Toby Keith.

Yes, he was from the Country genre, but as in evidence of this tune, among others, he had a hell of streak of Rock and Roll in him.

(1) And making Donald Trump references in 2010? 

(2) Tidal Wave Coming across the Mexican Border.

Some vision there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDcAWNscg8

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1192 on: February 06, 2024, 01:41:50 pm »
Re: Steppenwolf.  I saw McKay on something several years ago. He looked really, really old. Watching this old guy sing Born to Be Wild cracked me up for some reason. :rolling: But his voice still sounded the same.

Yes, Kay, among a number of '60's and '70's acts have made a cottage industry of Casino gigs, playing to doozens (Not a typo)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1193 on: February 06, 2024, 04:45:38 pm »
RIP to the Patriot Toby Keith.

Yes, he was from the Country genre, but as in evidence of this tune, among others, he had a hell of streak of Rock and Roll in him.

(1) And making Donald Trump references in 2010? 

(2) Tidal Wave Coming across the Mexican Border.

Some vision there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNDcAWNscg8

“Shoulda Been a Cowboy” is my favorite Toby song. He was a great storyteller. RIP
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1194 on: February 06, 2024, 09:56:46 pm »
Peanut tanks are for posers who only ride around town.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1195 on: February 09, 2024, 07:19:13 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Judas Priest- British Steel (1980) ***

I like to brag that we Rush fans are among the most loyal and fervent on earth.  Of course that point is debatable, and fans of today's band could also make a believable argument.  Judas Priest is definitetly one of the GOATs of metal, but there are many things that might surprise the casual fan.  Hard to believe, but these guys have been around since 1969, and except for a a brief hiatus (1992-1997) they have been a valid and solid band for 55 years consistently.  In fact they have charted cuts as late as 2018, and have a 2024 relase in the works.

They also hail from Birmingham like Sabbath, and the time differental between the bands is only like 4 or 5 years. Priest however didn't release an album until 1974, meaning they did some hard times and heavy lifting  in the trenches, before getting their break.  But once they broke, they made at least 7 or 8 Metal Standards that are must adds for the Head Banging Metal Head crowd.  Priest are crunching hard rockers that are somewhat of a mix of Rainbow, AC-DC, and Black Sabbath.  Their vocalist Rob Halpert is hugely recognizable, and guys like Downing and Hill, though less recognizable grind away in 4/4 blastamania.

Due to timing, some neophytes haved errroneously placed this  band in the '80's Hair Band Genre.  Nope, this is a talented  hard working outfit in the vein of Metallica, and not the nonsense garbage like Mootlley Crue (no typo) Cinderella, Quiet Riot, et. al.    For me, by the time this band got big, I was out of my Sabbath metal phase of music tastes, but I sure would be amiss, not sharing what I think is their best work, and an album def. worth a listen.  You might be surprised you might recognize a few of them.  But in their heyday?  It missed my timeframe.

Fun Fact:  Priest didn't have a U.S. Top 10 LP/CD until their 17th out of 18 efforts.  (Redeemer of Souls-2014 reached No. 6)

Side 1-
--------------

Rapid Fire-  Metal in full force.  Standard head banging stuff that screams thrash metal,  years and years before it was recognized as a genre,.  Judas Priest had changed direction and had speeded up their wares from 70 to 150 bpm. Excellent solos. 5

Metal Gods-  Self describing, though a tad prententious, even in an alegorical reference.  Band slows it down a tad, and meter phrasing harkens more to their 70's style.  Nice effect on the chain gang march.  6

Breaking the Law-  Great metal song, and one of their staples.  Everytime I see this I unfortuantely get visions of that Beavis and Butthead episode where they are digging it.  Also a staple of the "bad boy" persona of metal heads. 2

Grinder- Lesser cut that doesn't breaks an new ground, and sounds too similar to. a 100 other mid Judas Priest songs- 9

United- Very nice anthem like song that  has bits of melodic sections that makes United a top tier add.  Driving Drum chorus blends nicely into some great strong major power chords. 3

Side 2-
-------------

You Don't Have to be Old to Be Wise-  Sounds a lot like mid to late 1970's AC/DC. Even the solos sound like Angus'  8

Living After Midnight- My favorite song by Judas Priest, and I think that sentment is shared by many others too.  Maybe the greatest un-hooked,  hooked song in their catalog.  Damned Catchy, I'd say.  :headbang: 1

The Rage-  Wierd almost slow Primus sounding funk And after the adventerous starts, rocks very well, in almost Rainbow fashion, I liked it 4

Steeler- Album ends on a slash metal note that needlessly borrows Breaking the Law phrasing, with little or no other innovative additons.  Solo is fast, but somewhat sloppy versus others in comparisoon 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEBTrOKfZXc

« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:45:34 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1196 on: February 09, 2024, 08:46:25 am »
No hijack at all, and thanks for the list.  I usually like to throw some obscurity into the mix, i.e, Synergy, among others, but you've given me an excellent starting point to find some more of  those hidden gems.  Saw that one band was YYZ.  I know there is a Rush cover band by that name.  The same guys?

Thanks Cat ! Not sure my 80s meshes up with most here, but it is what it is. I usually go to Steve Hoffman's forum to find like minded folks.

Your question I can't answer, for one, I just haven't devoted the time to know the artists like perhaps you would... Second, those songs were so rare, I doubt anyone but the artist would know. Most of the stuff costs a fortune on Discogs if you can find one for sale (and I didn't own them, I just lifted the songs in crappy 192kbs bitrate).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1197 on: February 10, 2024, 04:49:18 pm »
I just lifted the songs in crappy 192kbs bitrate).

I have an I-Pod that I still use that has a pretty strong contribution from back in the Napster era.  Quite a few I remember taking a half an hour on a 56K Modem.   :cool:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1198 on: February 14, 2024, 10:32:29 pm »

Go ahead. Try to just sit there and not move or sing while this is playing.

I dare ya!

I deleted this because the sound was horrible and out of synch

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 10:37:09 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1199 on: February 16, 2024, 02:07:25 am »

Fun Fact:  There was an 8 year drought for Seger charting top 20 singles between 1968 (Ramblin' Gamblin' Man')  and 1976 (Night Moves).  That is some determination, and persistence, especially in the Music Industry.

@catfish1957

Seeger thought it was more important to spend those years raising his children than touring.

After all,it ain't like he needed the money.