Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 121099 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1150 on: December 29, 2023, 09:58:39 am »
Runrig (Scottish group I loved) started by two brothers Calum and Rory Macdonald (and a friend)... My dream group would be a mix of Runrig and Big Country.

Known for being a great live band that put on near perfect live performances (As Big Country did). 30 year career musicians.

If you believe the dna testing outfits, and look at my surnames in the past 300 years, I'm about 1/3 Scottish origin maybe why I enjoyed Big Country too back in the 1980's.  Is neat how they did incorporate Gaelic-speak in their lyrics.  Which I don't think Big Country did some.

But thanks.  I was stumped.  Had not heard this band, and their stuffs good. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1151 on: December 30, 2023, 05:01:19 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Alanis Morrissette- Jagged Little Pill (1995) **

I want to start today's review with one of the most vexing questions that has ever been asked of us guys......  When your wife or girlfriend asks you  "Does This Dress Make My Butt Look Big"?    How many of you have ever said  "yes"?  If you did, let me know how that went.   :cool:  I wanted to treat today's album more as a sociological primer.  First things first, if you missed the mid 90's and didn't experience this on the radio, l want to  let you know way up front, that this is one Angry Woman. She does, however provide a perspective that clicks in the psyche of the female species.  And yes, we are all human, but the interaction of the sexes has perplexed mankind since the dawn of us living in caves.  And to us guys, women find us also often perplexing and un-solveable.  A few decades ago a book was written called Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus.  There was a lot of truth to it. To many there are a lot more differences in the personalities of women and men, than similaries.  Trying to understand each other, is important.

I don't claim to be an expert or a seer when it comes to spousal success or understanding the oppisite sex, but I do think that after 40 years together, the "To Death to We Part" is a highly likely scenario for us.  As with any couple, it is impossible to avoid 100% of squabbles, but the key is understanding, and making sure they remain minor.

But back to the matter of the album.  There is nothing utterly exciting about the musicanship, and the album has a true session man feel.  She pieced together several differnent combos that I guess best work for the sound she was looking for.  She did add a couple of well known guys like Dave Navarro and Flea.  So, this work can not be placed in the total no-name category.  As far as legacy.... AM became an almost ulitmate version of a one hit wonder.  She never got near  this level of attention or success. 

The album has a lot of pop sensibility, with major hooks, but the true draw for the masses was the lyrical content.  It's a decent listen, but not a classic by any stretch of imagination.  Though if you remember the awards shows, you'd think this was the reincarnation of Sgt. Peppers.  This sucker got 9 grammy nominations, and sold 33M units world wide.  But what the hell do I know huh?

In summation, this is one of the best examples of framing and encapsulating the female perspective. Not all women, granted, but there is enough in this for all of us to learn.  I will try not to be sexist in this piece, but being sexist by itself is an absolute admission that there is a difference between us.  Prove me Wrong.

Fun Fact: For one flaming, angry, foaming  mouth  feminist- Number of female musicans accompanying her on this CD- 0 (Zero) out of 12.

Track-
----------

1. All I Really Want- Very strong grunge-ish opening.  Good instrumental fuzzish with an up and down exercise in histrinonics. Song effectively goes into (as others) into self reflective frustrations  1

Lesson 1- Sometimes the ladies can not or willl not try understand what they really want.  That is why one of our biggest frustrations, as men, is indeciveness.  Sometimes its just better to understand the wiring rather than the machine itself.

2. You Oughta Know- A harder rocker that takes AM to her angriest heights.  Has Navarro and Flea for some nice pizazz in the  tune. 2

Lesson 2- An angry scorned woman is ofen more vicious than a rabid Badger. Don't go there.

3. Perfect- Substandard ballad that is major drop from the earlier two, and a flop that just covers interelationship matters. 12

4. Hand in My Pocket- Huge hit, a and pleasant melody.  Actually an upbeat additon, that pretty much focuses on self-confliction.   5

5. I See Right Through You-  More of the anger theme of conflict among the sexes.  This poor woman has some serious deep and lingering oobsessive grudge issues.  Lower tier on the album.  What do they put in the Water in Canada?  11

6. Forgiven- Another non descript, filler-ish number that takes Ms. Morissette into some swipes at her religion too.  10

7. You Learn- Another of serveral hits.  A self depreciating example of confliction of aspects of life that often out of one's control. es, a reoccruing theme, as you might have observed.  6

Lesson No.3 -Responding to self pity is better nutured, rather than throwing gas on the fire.

8. Head Over Feet- In this Ocean of Anger, AM comes out with a positive heartfelt love song.  Yes, a shocker.  And a really fine ballad at that.I always believed this was added just for balance.   3

Lesson No. 4.  Even AM is not one dimensionally angry.    Remember the posters and T-shirts......    90% Angel, 10% Bitch.  Don't Push It!!!?  There is a lot more truth to that than we realize.

9. Mary Jane- More filler that whails like a silly 1980's power ballad.  Hard Pass.8

10. Ironic- Very nice counter and innovative take on the concept of irony.  Hooky pop number that is one of the stronger efforts on the LP. 4

Lesson (Observation) No. 5- I never understood the importance of not having a rainy day on your wedding day, unless it is an outdoor venue.  Isn't this one of the functions of umbreallas.  Just my take. 

11. Not the Doctor- Verse 1, 1st Sentence-  I don't want to be the Filler-  Too Late 9

12. Wake Up- Kind of a book end of All I Really Want, espcially with almost idential percussive structure. As far as lyrically, AM had to throw a few more digs at the Male POV.  And she almost does it an almost defeatist fashion, and with passion.  You know....  There are aspects of AM that I can almost picture in many angry liberal women like AOC.  Just because some want to live with a perpetual chip on their shoulder, doesn't mean the rest of us have to accept it or humor it. 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBP9OWIyB0
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1152 on: December 30, 2023, 02:29:29 pm »
@catfish1957

I was never a fan of hers but I will check out the album based on your review.

She may have just slipped by me and I think I only know what I heard on the radio - Like Casey Kasem
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1153 on: December 30, 2023, 02:44:54 pm »
@catfish1957

She may have just slipped by me and I think I only know what I heard on the radio - Like Casey Kasem

@Gefn   

Pretty much what you heard on the radio is the extent of listenability.   My primary intent on the review of this LP, was highlighting her interesting aspect and take of the female perspective and psyche.  Not too many albums did as good a job of channeling such anger to vinyl (plastic) as she did at that very moment.  Maybe she over dramatized it, but I can remember a moment in the very early 80's where one particular break up of mine looked like it might end up with a butcher knife somewhere in my torso. 

How off base do you think AM was?  There is a part of me, that wants to believe that this is more a function of left leaning women, rather than women in general.  That's at least my story, and I am sticking to it,   :cool:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1154 on: December 30, 2023, 02:56:39 pm »
@Gefn   

Pretty much what you heard on the radio is the extent of listenability.   My primary intent on the review of this LP, was highlighting her interesting aspect and take of the female perspective and psyche.  Not too many albums did as good a job of channeling such anger to vinyl (plastic) as she did at that very moment.  Maybe she over dramatized it, but I can remember a moment in the very early 80's where one particular break up of mine looked like it might end up with a butcher knife somewhere in my torso. 

How off base do you think AM was?  There is a part of me, that wants to believe that this is more a function of left leaning women, rather than women in general.  That's at least my story, and I am sticking to it,   :cool:

I am going to think about this, but I have a different view of AM radio. I grew up listening to it, yes, it was the top 40 and a lot of bubblegum and what not, but I also grew up listening to Jean Shepard and Bob and Ray on WOR. I didn't get into hard rock and alternative bands until I was in HS and then of course college. S

I do know my parents didn't like a lot of the 60s and early 70s songs. But they did like the Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel  and I got several albums for Winter Hollidays and birthdays - and grandma bought me Barry Manilow! And Wings.

So I guess I grew up listening to Classic Light Rock and Bubblegum

@catfish1957
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 02:59:33 pm by Gefn »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1155 on: January 02, 2024, 04:46:40 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Emerson Lake and Palmer- Tarkus (1971). ***

Happy New Year.  Today's installment is the best composition from the best composers of rock history.  So why only 3 stars? Just because a piece of music is at its utter best at composition, does not necessarily mean, translate, and correlate 100% to a great listenable experience.  The album Tarkus is exponentially complex versus most any rock album I have ever heard ,  and is one of those works that the enigmatic Keith Emerson basically did, because he could.  With his well received and critically acclaimed debut album, Emerson went off the virtuositous rails, and made in history what may be the most "hookless" before and anything after in rock history. Side 1, is an one phrase can be described as an epic exercise of Keith Emerson Self Indulgence.  And as through out his entire career, Emerson pretty much didn't give a shit what anyone else thought.   The better line share of Tarkus is conceptially, at least from my perspective, listen, and visual of the album cover about some sci-fi Armadillo like contraption, reveling in its wares of war.  A kind of musical massive mish mash that in some ways I think influenced Queen with Ogre Battle, and Rush with Bytor and the Snow Dog.

Fun Fact: Considering, as I menitoned, there was basically zero percent hook on this album, and the most radio unfriendly albumin history.  This album still charted in the Top 10 in the US, and No. 1 in the UK.

Listening to side one is an exhaustive matter.   Emerson crazily over does the time and key changes that if my trained ear is hearing right, rifes extensively 10/8/...9/8 ....   7/8....down to 5/8. and reverses, in a manner that it amost seemed Keith was playing a game of musical parchessee. Where so many struggle with not only understanding compostion, creation, and execution, Emerspn toyed with it, like a cat playing with a mouse, before killing it on the spot.  ELP may not have been the greatest rock stars of all time, but I can say with some  certainity, they were not only the most literate, but head and shoulder genius above any other.  And in this vein, up there with likes of of the 18th and 19th century masters.   And don't forget with the focus on Emerson, soometimes we lose site that he may have had one of the greatest supprting casts in rock history.  All 3 of these guys are at the top of their craft, The chaotic keyboard work weaves in and out into Lake led and well vocalized promenade like anthems that blend into masterful, almost Gilmore like guitar work.  But still the chaos, while musically fascinating, just doesn't fufill the prog satisfaction fan in me.  Simply put, Keith Emerson pull more into style and pizazz than stuff that is good to listen to. This is the kind of album that in a college class in music composition you were forced to listen to for academic value.  1. 1, based on complexity and genius.

Side 2 is massiely different, and goes into differnt forays of styles, with mixed results.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Bender- Barrell house 19th century like rinky tink piano.  Weakest number on the LP.  Seems Emerson did this on almost every album.  Almost as a joke 7

Bitches Crystal (Note missing, skipped from main YT offering)- Video Added below- The only song that seemed to take  or borrow from the Tarkus licks.  Unique music box entry, transitions into a mostly Tarkus bedlam likely mix of crazy melodies and spashed keyboard runs.  Wow. 3

The Only Way (Hymn) I have made no secret or mystery that my favorite instrument on earth is a large church organ.  Fantastic, lovely, and expansive.  This song was my first introduction to what the holocaust was in 1971, at age 13.  As strange as it was conveyed.  A lot of this harkens to a Bachian like music structure.  I wish Keith Emerson would have done a lot more of these.  2

Infinite Space Space (Coonclusion) A piano piece in almost repet concetio fashion that gives the listener some improv like, almost jaszzish fodder that I guess was there to "conclude" or other wise augment The Only Way- 5

A Time and a Place- The most standard as a rocker a start that eventially spirals out of control into keyboard pandemonium. At times Emerson, seems to be intricately blending his melodic patterns into almost harmonies within harmonies.  Not sure I am conveying that well enough, but........    Thinking this is a middle of the road ELP contribution, just gives you an idea of how massively talented these 3 were.    4

Are You Ready Eddy-  Rockabilly number that allows Keith to play Jerrry Lee Lewis.  Technically, this is fine from a musical perspective, but I doubt many paid $5 at the time to have ELP take them back to the 1950's for a rehash.  At least not me. 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1rh_740SI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4k2nUK5CzY
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:54:46 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1156 on: January 02, 2024, 07:38:15 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Enya- Shepherd Moons (1991) ***

Enya has a strong catalog, but this particular album, is  head and shoulder what I feel is the next best.....  "The Memory of Trees".  Very much more consistent, and utterly ehterally, and celestially beautiful. 

In a word... Yes "ethereal" is the perfect description... I own most all her albums.... the latter were weaker contributions... Her sister Clannad did a few great songs too. The layering of voice, the chill factor was off the charts. Often imitated, never matched.

Like Kate Bush, just a sound of her own. Thanks for throwing a wrench in the machinery and daring to post this.

-----------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------

For my amusement... I am going to repaste your list for future reference.

Index of Record Reviews-  Band-Album-Page No. on thread (from Maj. Bill and Catfish)
========================================

AC DC- Back In Black- 26. ****
AC DC- For Those About to Rock- 43 *** 1/2
AC-DC- High Voltage- 35 ****
Aerosmith- Get Your Wings- 45 *** 1/2
Aerosmith- Rocks- 30 *** 1/2
Aersosmith- Toys in the Attic- 30 ****
Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies- 27 ****
Alice Cooper- Killer- 42 *** 1/2
Alice Cooper- Love it to Death- 38 *** 1/2
Alice Cooper Welcome to My Nightmare- 43 *** 1/2
Amboy Dukes- Journey to the Center of a Mind- 39  ** 1/2
Eric Burdon and the Animals- Winds of Change- 42 ** 1/2
Asia- Asia- 38 * 1/2
The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds-  ** 1/2
The Beatles- Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band- 30 *****
The Beatles- Abbey Road- 44 *****
Big Country- The Crossing= *** 1/2
Black Oak Arkansas, Black Oak Arkansas-  32 *** 1/2
Black Sabbath- Master of Reality- 43 ****
Black Sabbath- Volume 4- 26 ****
Blink 182- Enema of the State- 32 *** 1/2
Blink 182- Take Off Your Pants and Jacket- 46 ***
Blue Cheer- Blue Cheer- 44- ***
Blue Oyster Cult- Agents of Fortune- 28 ****
Blue Oyster Cult- The Revolution By Night- 38 *** 1/2
Bloodrock-II - 29 *** 1/2
Boston-Boston- 26 *****
Boston- Walk On- 37 ****
Jackson Browne- Lawyers in Love- 38 ***
The Cars- Candy-O - 28 ****
The Cars-The Cars- 39 ****
Chicago- Chicago- 29 *** 1/2
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmo's Factory- 45 *****
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys- 27 *****
Creme- Disraeli Gears- 37 **** 1/2
Marshall Crenshaw- Marshall Crenshaw- 46  ** 1/2
Deep Purple- Burn- 37 ****
Deep Purple- Machine Head- 30 **** 1/2
Def Leppard- Hysteria- 29 ****
Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- 40 ****
Dire Straits- Love Over Gold- 41 **** 1/2
Dire Straits- Making Movies- 36 ****
The Doors-The Doors-30 ***
Dream Theatre- Images and Words- 37 ***
Eagles- The Long Run- 37. ***
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery- 26 **** 1/2
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition- 32 ****
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Trilogy- 42 **** 1/2
Eno- Another Green World- 34
Enya- Shepherd Moons- 46 ***
Fleetwood Mac Rumors-46 *** 1/2
Fleetwood Mac- Tusk- 43 ****
Foghat- Night Shift- 42 ****
Foreigner- IV- 29 *** 1/2
Genesis- Trespass- 36
Golden Earring- Moontan- 33 *** 1/2
Grand Funk Railroad- Closer to Home- 35 ***
Green Day- American Idiot- 29 ***
Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction- 39 *
Heart- Bad Animals- 45 ***
Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize -44 *** 1/2
Hooters- Nervous Nights- 45  ***
INXS- Listen Like Thieves- 36 ***
Jimi Hendrix- Are you Experienced- 34 **** 1/2
James Gang- Rides Again- 29 ****
Jethro Tull- Aqualung- 32 *** 1/2
Journey- Infinity- 35 *** 1/2
Kansas- Leftoverture- 28 ****
Kansas - Point of Know Return- 41 ****
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King- 34 *** 1/2
Kiss- Destroyer- 30 ***
Led Zeppelin- 42 *****
Led Zeppelin- II- 41 *****
Led Zeppelin- III- 29 *****
Led Zeppelin-IV- 25 *****
Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy- 44 ****
Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti- 46 **** 1/2
Loverboy- Get Lucky- 45 ***
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Lynyrd Skynrd- 33 ****
Metallica- Black Album- 35 ** 1/2
Steve Miller Band- Book of Dreams- 29 *** 1/2
The Moody Blues- Days of Future Past- 35 **** 1/2
The Moody Blues- 7th Sojourn- 28 **** 1/2
Nazareth- Hair of the Dog -37 ***
Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger- 40 ***
Nine Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral- 37 ****
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine- 45 ***
Nirvanna- Nevermind- 35 **
The Offspring- Splinter- 45 ***
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells- 37 ** 1/2
Tom Petty and Heartbreakers- Damn the Torpedos- 42 *** 1/2
Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever- 25 *****
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Into the Great Wide Open- 34 ****
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon- 40 ****
Pink Floyd- Momentary Lapse of Reason- 43 ****
Pink Floyd- The Wall- 45 **
Queen- Queen- 36 ****
Queen- II- 43 ****
Ramones- Ramones- 28 ****
Rare Earth- One World- 44 ***
Roxy Music- For Your Pleasure- 35 ***
Rush- 2112- 26 *****
Rush- Grace Under Pressure- 43 *****
Rush- Hemispheres- 41 *****
Rush- Moving Pictures- 30 *****
Rush- Roll the Bones- 45 *****
Rush- Vapor Trails- 41 ****
Bob Seger- Against the Wind- 26 ****
The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bullocks- 33 **
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness- 31 *** 1/2
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream- 45 ***
The Smithereens- 11- 37 ** 1/2
Styx- Equinox- 33 **** 1/2
Styx- Grand Illusion- 26 **** 1/2
Styx- Pieces of Eight- 45 **** 1/2
Synergy- Sequencer- 40 *** 1/2
Sum 41- All Killer No Filler 46 ** 1/2
Toto- Isolation- 34 ***
Trapeze- Medusa- 40 ***
The Traveling Wilbur's- Vol. 1- *** 1/2
Robin Trower- Bridge of Sighs- *** 1/2
UFO- Obsession- ***
Uriah Heep- Demons and Wizards- 28 ***
Van Halen- Van Halen- 40 ** 1/2
Weezer- Blue Album- 35 ***
Edgar Winter Group- They Only Come Out at Night- 43 ***
The Who- Tommy- 32 **** 1/2
The Who- Who's Next- 26 *****
Yes- 90125- 44 *****
Yes- Talk- 39 *****
Yes- The Yes Album- 27 *****
Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Rust Never Sleeps- 38 ****
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe- 31 ****
ZZ Top- Eliminator-44 **** 1/2
ZZ Top- Tres Hombres- 28 ****

*- Poor
**- Good
***- Very Good
****- Excellent
*****- Classic, indispensable
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 07:42:34 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1157 on: January 02, 2024, 12:08:08 pm »
No Marshall Tucker Band reviews?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1158 on: January 02, 2024, 12:15:07 pm »
@Gefn   

I’m not sure she was off-base much. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I think it’s a fantastic song, but certainly not a song to live by.  happy77
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1159 on: January 02, 2024, 03:31:19 pm »
No Marshall Tucker Band reviews?

I saw Louisiana Lerooux' and the Marshal Tucker Band with my girl friend at the time on December 27, 1978.  $7.50 on the stub that  I still have.    There were other southern bands that I preferered like Black Oak, Skynrd, Allman Bros., Tom Petty, among others.  And I do know and understand that Marshal Tucker had a bit more tinge of C & W than the others, and that might have jaded my like for this particualr band.   

But the moment they broke out in "Fire on the Mountiain", I remember the crowd got pretty ignited.  It's a great  song that catches the historic pioneer spirit in much the same manner that  Johnny Horton did.  Well.....With mabe a tad different approach though.  Just my tastes.  But doing a little research, and this is a pretty neat and obscure fact and trivia. question.....

Not 100.00% sure, but decently sure after reviewing.

Name the only four bands (acts) to have 5 consecutive albums to chart Top the Top 50 in both the  Pop and Country charts?

The first three of them are pretty obvious due to their cross over success ...  Eagles, Garth Brooks and Alabama. 
The 4th?  Marshal Tucker.  Quite a shock. 

(oops, left off the ulitmate obvious- Eagles)

The likes of Cash, Dolly, Willie, Shania, Waylon, Swift, Faith, Hank Williams etc.  Nope,  unless I overloked someone, let me know.

Before, rambling on too far, I wanted to share one bad ass southern rock song, that doesn't seem to get its due in the modern era. One of my favorites of the genre.   This has some incredible ax work.  An in some ways out-Skynrd'ed Skynrd.,  Which btw, did anyone catch them on Fox's New years Age Party?  Those old fogeys still got a bit left in their tank I'd say.  Which by contrast an hour earlier, CNN celebrated the new year, by showing their first image of the new year of two bleep kissing,  Yes, America.....   We are that divided.  Faggortry vs, Lynrd Skynrd/Free Bird........   You decide, I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2CAtExXgQ

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:44:38 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1160 on: January 02, 2024, 05:57:00 pm »
Anyone else think that Mr. Claypool might know what he is doing on the "4 String"?   :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMsJlJdWof8

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1161 on: January 03, 2024, 12:53:22 am »
I saw Louisiana Lerooux' and the Marshal Tucker Band with my girl friend at the time on December 27, 1978.  $7.50 on the stub that  I still have.    There were other southern bands that I preferered like Black Oak, Skynrd, Allman Bros., Tom Petty, among others.  And I do know and understand that Marshal Tucker had a bit more tinge of C & W than the others, and that might have jaded my like for this particualr band.   

But the moment they broke out in "Fire on the Mountiain", I remember the crowd got pretty ignited.  It's a great  song that catches the historic pioneer spirit in much the same manner that  Johnny Horton did.  Well.....With mabe a tad different approach though.  Just my tastes.  But doing a little research, and this is a pretty neat and obscure fact and trivia. question.....

Not 100.00% sure, but decently sure after reviewing.

Name the only four bands (acts) to have 5 consecutive albums to chart Top the Top 50 in both the  Pop and Country charts?

The first three of them are pretty obvious due to their cross over success ...  Eagles, Garth Brooks and Alabama. 
The 4th?  Marshal Tucker.  Quite a shock. 

(oops, left off the ulitmate obvious- Eagles)

The likes of Cash, Dolly, Willie, Shania, Waylon, Swift, Faith, Hank Williams etc.  Nope,  unless I overloked someone, let me know.

Before, rambling on too far, I wanted to share one bad ass southern rock song, that doesn't seem to get its due in the modern era. One of my favorites of the genre.   This has some incredible ax work.  An in some ways out-Skynrd'ed Skynrd.,  Which btw, did anyone catch them on Fox's New years Age Party?  Those old fogeys still got a bit left in their tank I'd say.  Which by contrast an hour earlier, CNN celebrated the new year, by showing their first image of the new year of two bleep kissing,  Yes, America.....   We are that divided.  Faggortry vs, Lynrd Skynrd/Free Bird........   You decide, I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2CAtExXgQ

@catfish1957

As you can probably guess,I am a HUGE fan of the MTB,the Outlaws,the Allman Brothers,and most of all,Pink Floyd. Yeah,PF have no idea what the word "boogie" means,but they make up for it in other areas.

Was invited backstage to meet the Allman Brothers after a concert once,but the woman I was with at that time happened to be married,and I had to get her home before dawn,and had plans for that extra time. Figured I could do it the next time they came to town,but the school mate of theirs that was going to introduce me moved away before they came back.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1162 on: January 04, 2024, 04:14:56 am »
@catfish1957

I like the album a lot.  One of the darkest periods of my life, but the music soothed my insanity at the time.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1163 on: January 04, 2024, 04:16:54 am »
Before, rambling on too far, I wanted to share one bad ass southern rock song, that doesn't seem to get its due in the modern era. One of my favorites of the genre.   This has some incredible ax work.  An in some ways out-Skynrd'ed Skynrd.,

I rank GG&HT above Freebird.  And I love Skynyrd.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1164 on: January 04, 2024, 06:03:42 am »
@catfish1957

Was invited backstage to meet the Allman Brothers after a concert once,but the woman I was with at that time happened to be married,and I had to get her home before dawn,and had plans for that extra time. Figured I could do it the next time they came to town,but the school mate of theirs that was going to introduce me moved away before they came back.

@sneakypete

That's a great story,  and I bet you had some regrets there.  Only thing ever near that cool, for me was on May 7, 1983 having a beer with the Ramones during the set break at a concert (bar) with about only 50 attending.  Got a set of drum sticks from Marky for stumping the band on their catalog on a really obscure number from what I remember was either their 3rd or 4th album.  Still have that ticket stub too. 
Joey told me was surprised that someone like me would know their stuff in this "redneck hell hole".  :silly:

MIL threw away the drum sticks while helping clean up the house in the mid 1990's.  I was sick.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1165 on: January 05, 2024, 10:55:54 am »
I had a couple of Enya albums back in the day. Really like listening to them with one caveat.

Do not play in the car. She can make you sleepy, and the next thing you know you could be in trouble.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1166 on: January 05, 2024, 02:50:16 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Moody Blues- To Our Children's Children's Children (1969) ****

I had previously reviewed the bookends of what I feel is the Golden era of the Moody Blues, and those two were the most imaginative, with their first being in the forefront of innovation, and the latter (Seventh Sojourn) their apex of their songwriting.  Still, there are 5 absolute gems in the middle, and are all classics.  I really struggled with picking one of them.  As none of them are bad, and all 5 epics in the early and formative years of progressive rock.  I finally worked it down to two.  Their second (Threshold of a Dream) and this one.  Threshold is so strikingly and breakingly innovative in the matter oof their progession as a band.   The Moody's are not only the first to perform their craft via chemical assistance, they were outright flaunting it.  And the level of creativity was truly incredible.  I know Pink Floyd gets the credit as the God Fathers of Prog, but these really were the ones who got overlooked for being the true pioneers who introduced it at inception, and gave it its foothold as a musical genre.

I finally chose Children's Children's Children, because of in one example this is probably the bands's outside the debut, the most pure concept album they produced.  The debut was themed simply as a day of a life.  This one is much much much more deep, and has a heavy existential spacey theme that, that has some really thought provoking ad philosophical.....  "Therefore I Am"  conceptual feel that parses time, space, and how life is just a blip on the screen.   Overall musically wide, I view this and the second albums as equals, but this one has that magic feel that extracts almost a pure equal contribution of songwriting talent.  Most bands have one or two good songwriters, this band has 4 who each have contirbuted heaviy to their catalog. I also love the fact that when you listen to Moody Blues music, you can almost with 100% certainty predict who was the principle writer.  They were that diverse, and unique in each of their styles.

I tell people that every Moody Blues album...  at least the first 7 are a journey into thought provoking themes.  And I suggest that if you are not familiar with this band,  stream or screen the lyrics as you are listening.   It enhances the listening experience, and gives you an idea if what a great talent these 5 guys were.  I know there are a lot of fans who like the post 1972 stuff, but from my POV, something changed, much like someone messing with Classic Coke. Put again, just my take. 

Fun fact: Michael Pinder not only was one the first to use the Mellotron on vinyl, but was actually involved in the R & D and concept of its commercialization  in the early 1960's.

Side 1-
-------------

Higher and Higher- Spacey intro into this journey, and an obviously some references that the chemicals were doing a nice job on the creativity juices.  Song beautifully builds with some very strong Hayward almost psychadelic like licks that were very much indicative of the times-  5

Eyes of a Child I- Light balladry, that has incredible vocal harmonies. That this is a lower tier number on this LP, is just some heavy proof how solid this album is.  Song fits well with theming. 13

Floating- Ode to their numerous flights.  Yeah, Timothy Leary wasn't dead.  I am guessing (speculating) that since this song is wedged between the Eyes, that their intent was that the LSD trips was basically being reborn. Never seen any accoounts or documentaries to this point.  Just my guess.   :silly: 7

Eyes of a Child II-  Second installment is much more rocking and shorter.  Same theme is suppose. 9

I Never Thought I'd Live to Be a Hundred-  Very nice, but again short accoustic ballad by Hayward.  And I will go on record saying that he was the best in this aspect of the Moody Blues talent pool. 8

Beyond- Instrumental transition that is standard band jamming, and crazy flute runs that are often seen in their repitoire 10

Out and In- Love the lyricaly inward inflection the band uses in basically saying look outward, outside of you norm of reality, by what means possible. Not a proponent of Haullucagens, and never used them, but these guys seem to endorse them. 3

Side 2-
-----------

Gypsy (Of a Strange and Distant Time)-  The most traditonal sounding Moody sounding song on the LP., though and again staying true to the concept of time travel.  Outside Watching, last song.....   Some of Pinder's nicest Mello work.  Everyone adds nicely on this fantastic song- 2

Eternity Road- With a Ray Thomas number, its usually a real hit or miss.  This is more on the miss side of the tally.  Not awful obviously, but  if there are ones to skip, and I don't reccomend skipping anything in a  concept album, but this would be the one. 12

Candle of Life- Only song on the album that was listed as a collaboration (Lodge/Hayward).  Has that nice flowing rocking sound that you get  a lot of on Seventh Sojurn.  Pointed and effective narrative of the fragility and shortness of life.  Interesting how we view these songs at different points of our life.  The band had wisdom streak a mile wide. 5

Sun is Still Shining- Somewhat back to a psychedelic styling with eastern sitar like infusion that was seen in the day. 11

Never Thought I would Live to Be a Million- Brief acoustic account of. the concept of life as it sits within the realm of eternity.   Masterfully preludes to m favorite - 6

Watching and Waiting-  Wow, where do I start.  First let me say this is one of the most beautiful,  overlooked, and under-appreciated songs in the entire Moody Blues extensive playbook.  To me this is so hauntingly beautiful, and epically and  thought provoking visual of a timeless  entity,maybe a higher being living in the prepice first hand and witnessing eternity....  alone.  Pinder's Mello is so spine tingling beautiful, and augments so perfectly with Haywards perfect inflective vocals. If you only have time for one song.  Please sample this one  1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j0y71bx2K8

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:10:00 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1167 on: January 06, 2024, 03:05:32 pm »
Tommorow will mark the 4 year mark we lost the Professor.  RIP.

Geddy, Alex....  Time to get back in the studio with someone like Carl Palmer, Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, etc.   

(LLP has a nice ring too it (Lee Lifeson and Palmer)

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1168 on: January 06, 2024, 11:44:20 pm »
Tommorow will mark the 4 year mark we lost the Professor.  RIP.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1169 on: January 06, 2024, 11:52:09 pm »
Geddy, Alex....  Time to get back in the studio with someone like Carl Palmer, Mike Portnoy, Chad Smith, etc.   

How about Danny Carey?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1170 on: January 07, 2024, 04:52:40 am »
How about Danny Carey?

Carey would def. be in that etc. category.  Tool does a great job of mixing complexity, prog, and mystery, and Carey would do fine. 

Suppsedly, Portnoy is the biggest Rush fan boy of the lot, and probably knows the catalog the best.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1171 on: January 07, 2024, 05:27:49 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush- Permanet Waves - (1980) *****

In honor of Peart's 4th anniversary death, thought it would be nice to cover another one of the band's great classics....  Permanent Waves was right in the exact middle of the truly great and prog centristic universe of this legendary band.  This LP comes off the heels oof what the band in documentaries has called the most exhasustive album (Hemispheres), and that  showed in the fact that 1979 was the first calendar year that the band did not release an LP.  Lavilla Strangito's assertion as an exercise in self indulgence was never more true.  Piecing together Hemispheres  had to be an exhaustive process, and to transition into something a tad more conventional, though no less impactuful, had to be a welcome respite.

Permanent Waves has a  simplier feel (not all, but some) , a tad more hooked, but no less greater.  Every member contributes at the highest level. There can be no underestimating how great Rush was in the late 1970's and early 1980's.  Don't get me wrong, I love Geddy's choice to take the band to their next synth phase in the mid 1980's, but as good as those albums were, they never matched the 7 consecutive that were done between 1976 and 1984.  Just this fan's take, but I don't any band in history made 7 straight this great before, and likely ever again. Every one of them are 5 Star LP's.

What also makes this album so additinally special, is that in some ways the band stepped away from the concept aspects, and decided to not only make  great music, this might one of the most stylistically diverse of the stuff in the early half of their career.  Yeah, way later in the 21st century they were all over the map.  Maybe too way over.  This one gives every Rush fan what they want.  They get standard hard rock and roll, prog, melodic almost classical, reggae, and bits and pieces that highights the immense diverse talents that they had.  And like many in this era...  Zip filler. you get 100% fine stuff. So when you see my ranking, don't think the lower numbers are any aspersion on any song.  They are all great.  I sure as hell miss this band, but will enjoy what they provided while I can.  AND hope that after 4 years after Peart's death, that they might venture into the studio for an encore, and a tour would be just icing on the cake.  There are plenty of other great great drummers who would be honored to take the gig.

Fun Fact or Un Fun in this case:  I'd dock the band a 1/10 a star if I could for changing the 2020 40th anniversary edition cover away from the harmless slight upskirted version.  WTF...bowing to wokeness, and guys..... why F___ with perfection.

Side 1-
-----------

Spirit of the Radio-  Can you find any Rush fan without this on in the upper tier of their play list?  I doubt it.  Legendary rock tune that to this day gets massive play on classic rock radio stations, and maybe only less played than Tom Sawyer.  Song is an amost transendary blend of what makes Rush great,  Thumdering fast bass runs, wailing and searing quick guitar sols, and drum work that few if any could, can, or will be able to replicate with any authenticity.  Song is the ultimate ode to the history and prominence of the recording industry.  The point that even I think this is the second best song on the album is just more evidence of how great this album is.  In 1980 I might have had this at No .1 but just wait...... 2

Freewill- I have always felt that this was one of Peart's greatest poetic pieces.  Spritually, or philosophically, you might not agree with this strong libertarian leaning prose, but there is no doubting Neil's level of intellectual prowess.  Song has some really nice chording that alternately blends perfectly with bad ass runs. No Filler Zone Folks 4

Jacob's Ladder-  The Prog contribution that hits a homer.  This mostly instrumental so intricately and powerfully coonveys the feel of a battle and aftermath, kind in the same vein as Bytor and the Snowdog did several years earlier.  The synth / Peart interplay is incredible in how tempo accelrations are not only managed, but are seemless.  These are masterful musicans. 3

Side 2-
----------

Entre Nous'- Very standard  Rush kind of song, that harkens and sounds more like their mid 1970's versions.  More complexity and clearer production though- 5

Different Strings-  Softer and the band's balladry contributon Very good, and still this fabulous song is the weakest in a absolutely great album- 6

Natural Science-  One of my all time favorites in the entire Rush historical catalog.  This song beautifully and encapsulates how and why Rush is so great.  Peart's grasp and thoughts about being in general just is spectacular.  This song works much like a masterful symphony in how it changes directions, tones, directions, time changes, key changes, mood changes, and on and on and on.  Only the genius of Rush can make this level of music.   What I have done in the past few years is listen to every live version of it, and watch as it is amazing how their interpretation and approach changes and adjusts at each tour's show.  Try it...  you'll be floored.  Also I have read that Lifeson was quoted as saying that this was his absolute favorite song to play in concert. Watching his enjoyment is great to watch too. Of the 20 or so itinerations, my favoorite version of it is added below1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7uE2Bqp_ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndaI-okEIc

« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:09:10 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1172 on: January 10, 2024, 07:02:39 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed- (1969) ** 1/2

First my apologies to the multitude of Stones fans out there, I know there are a ton of them out there.  But this is a band that just hasn't been endearing to me through my love of rock and roll which does reach back into the 1960's.  First the compliments though.  I will grant that the legacy of the Rolling Stones are only eclipsed by the Beatles.  And from my POV, if you piece together their best work through their huge volumes of albums, you got some compliations that can't be topped.

The problem is, that I treat an album like a book.  Back in the day, when I plopped down that $5.98, I wanted and expected more than one or two songs to enjoy.  The Stones never made a consistnetly really good album, which is totally the opposite of the Beatles.  Van Halen is a similar band from the 1970's in that respect as the Stones  Piece together the best, and you have legends, but looking at them album by album, they are very uneven, and with gobs of filler added.    That is why I have waited so long to review a Stones album.  There really wasn't one that I could honestly and generously give 3 stars. 

And I know I am in the minority,  This band was and incredibly is (present tense) hugely enjoyed, loved, and revered by the rock and roll fans, peers,  and critics.  Jagger and Richards are as about as big as it gets in the annals of rock, so before slamming me about my comments about the band, don't forget musical tastes are highly subjective.  I am sure there are a lot of Stones fans who might say the same about Rush, Zep, and Yes too.

It took me months to figure out which of the 31 studio albums that have been made in a (ghasp) 60 year period.  I finally narrowed it down to this one "Let It Bleed" and "Sticky Fingers"  Almost came down to from my perspective, of (1) which had the best 3, and the one with the least filler.  For brevity sake, I am only going to mostly comment and rank the decent ones.

Fun Fact:  Counting studio, live, and compliations albums, 35 of these suckers went Platinum.  I might not be a big fan, but there sure are others out there who are.

Fun Fact No.2:  This is the album that bumped Abbey Road off the No.1 slot on the charts. (briefly)

Side 1-
-----------

Gimme Shelter-  The main reason I chose this one to review, and IMO this one, Get Off My Cloud, and Satisfaction are the creme da' creme of the Stones long list of tunes.  The best effort I saw in the band's songwriting prowess in perfectly fusing that rocking sound with a perfect dose of blues that are hallmark of this band.  Song as a song, is almost synonymous with the late 1960's as evident how often it is in movies, and other media.  1

Love In Vain- Bluezzzzzz ballad, that comes across as second rate Blind Faith. There are so many other choices for this kind of stuff in the era.  Filler

Country Honk-  Rehashed ruralized  Honky Tonk Woman-  Silly shit, that I viewed as as a stick in the eye oof the fan.  Big Time Filler

Live With Me- More rehashed street fighting kind of linkage- Not quite filler, but adds some sax soloing that makes a tad interesting. 4

Let It Bleed- Title track with nothing but innuendo and laziness as far as songwriting.  I guess this was kind of shocking for an earlier generation of long haired Beavis and Buttheads......    Heh Heh Heh!!!!   -NOPE!!!!!      Filler

Side 2-
-----------

Midnight Rambler-  Noticed the Stones often would always put their best songs as the first track.  No exception here  This is my favorite Stones Blues effort, and they do a great job of giving that 1930's Memphis Delta feel that is well accuentated by that whispy harmonica accompaniment.  Added points for the sped up tempo'ed that works very nicely and the almost testimonial type of inclusion that supposedly Robert Johnson used to do in his gigs.  2

You Got the Silver-  Jagger for some reason wants to sound like Bob Dylan, on this pointless song.    Filler

Monkey Man- I usually hate it when a band adds a live song on a Studio Album.  So outiside docking it on that respect, the song itself, is the most tradional sounding Stones song, that has a bit more rock, but still a blues tinge. Decent, and bit better than the filler additons.  I know a lot fans say that they prefer iive to studio, with this band.   I guess they might, but it has never been my opinion 99.9% of the time 5

You Can't Always Get What You Want- A Big HIt, and well recognized as a 1960's staple. 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLe0f_ne4_4

Like I mentioned earlier, if you want a better Stones experience, buy one of several "Best Of" Compliations, albums.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 04:46:48 am by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1173 on: January 10, 2024, 09:39:34 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed- (1969) ** 1/2

@catfish1957

I mostly  liked their music,but the one that really blew me away was " Sympathy For The Devil". I usually only pay  much  attention to  the singing,but pretty much  EVERYTHING in this song is played to perfection,from the drumming to Keef's guitar solo (no real surprise there). Seems like EVERYBODY taking part in this was having the best day of their musical lives.

Frankly,I was shocked when I first heard it played. "A Rock band in the 60's criticizing Satanism? It just didn't seem  possible. Not only that,but EVERY noise from the stage was done with perfection. I normally disliked Mick's voice,but even his voice seemed to be made for this song.

It flat impressed the hell out of me.

BTW,Mick is 80  years old now. Who EVER thought that anybody  (except for Keef Richards,of course) from any 60's rock band would live to be 40?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 09:58:14 pm by sneakypete »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1174 on: January 10, 2024, 09:42:56 pm »
Live - '71

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-