Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 115990 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1000 on: April 13, 2023, 04:18:14 am »
A quick updated listing of reviews.  If anyone has one that they'd like to add, let me know, or please feel free to participate with your own review, and add as you like.

Update

Index of Record Reviews-  Band-Album-Page No. on thread (from Maj. Bill and Catfish)
========================================

AC DC- Back In Black- 26. ****
AC-DC- High Voltage- 35 ****
Aerosmith- Rocks- 30 *** 1/2
Aersosmith- Toys in the Attic- 30 ****
Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies- 27 ****
Alice Cooper- Love it to Death- 38 *** 1/2
Amboy Dukes- Journey to the Center of a Mind- 39  ** 1/2
Asia- Asia- 38 * 1/2
The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds-  ** 1/2
The Beatles- Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band- 30 *****
Big Country- The Crossing-39 *** 1/2
Black Oak Arkansas, Black Oak Arkansas-  32 *** 1/2
Black Sabbath- Volume 4- 26 ****
Blink 182- Enema of the State- 32 *** 1/2
Blue Oyster Cult- Agents of Fortune- 28 ****
Blue Oyster Cult- The Revolution By Night- 38 *** 1/2
Bloodrock-II - 29 *** 1/2
Boston-Boston- 26 *****
Boston- Walk On- 37 ****
Jackson Browne- Lawyers in Love- 38 ***
The Cars- Candy-O - 28 ****
The Cars-The Cars- 39 ****
Chicago- Chicago- 29 *** 1/2
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys- 27 *****
Creme- Disraeli Gears- 37 **** 1/2
Deep Purple- Burn- 37 ****
Deep Purple- Machine Head- 30 **** 1/2
Def Leppard- Hysteria- 29 ****
Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- 40 ****
Dire Straits- Love Over Gold- 41  **** 1/2
Dire Straits- Making Movies- 36 ****
The Doors-The Doors-30 ***
Dream Theatre- Images and Words- 37 ***
Eagles- The Long Run- 37. ***
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery- 26 **** 1/2
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition- 32 ****
Eno- Another Green World- 34
Foghat- Night Shift- 42 ****
Foreigner- IV- 29 *** 1/2
Genesis- Trespass- 36
Golden Earring- Moontan- 33 *** 1/2
Grand Funk Railroad- Closer to Home- 35 ***
Green Day- American Idiot- 29 ***
Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction- 39 *
INXS- Listen Like Thieves- 36 ***
Jimi Hendrix- Are you Experienced- 34 **** 1/2
James Gang- Rides Again- 29 ****
Jethro Tull- Aqualung- 32 *** 1/2
Journey- Infinity- 35 *** 1/2
Kansas- Leftoverture- 28 ****
Kansas- Point of Know Return- 41 ****
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King- 34 *** 1/2
Kiss- Destroyer- 30 ***
Led Zeppelin- II- 41 *****
Led Zeppelin- III- 29 *****
Led Zeppelin-IV- 25 *****
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Lynyrd Skynrd- 33 ****
Metallica- Black Album- 35 ** 1/2
Steve Miller Band- Book of Dreams- 29 *** 1/2
The Moody Blues- Days of Future Past- 35 **** 1/2
The Moody Blues- 7th Sojourn- 28 **** 1/2
Nazareth- Hair of the Dog -37 ***
Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger- 40 ***
Nine Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral- 37 ***
Nirvanna- Nevermind- 35 **
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells- 37 ** 1/2
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon- 30 ****
Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever- 25 *****
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Into the Great Wide Open- 34 ****
Queen- Queen- 36 ****
Ramones- Ramones- 28 ****
Roxy Music- For Your Pleasure- 35 ***
Rush- 2112- 26 *****
Rush- Hemispheres - 41 *****
Rush- Moving Pictures- 30 *****
Rush- Vapor Trails- 41 ****
Bob Seger- Against the Wind- 26 ****
The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bullocks- 33 **
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness- 31 *** 1/2
The Smithereens- 11- 37 ** 1/2
Styx- Equinox- 33 **** 1/2
Styx- Grand Illusion- 26 **** 1/2
Synergy- Sequencer- 40 *** 1/2
Toto- Isolation- 34 ***
Trapeze- Medusa- 40 ***
Uriah Heep- Demons and Wizards- 28 ***
Van Halen- Van Halen- 40 ** 1/2
Weezer- Blue Album- 35 ***
The Who- Tommy- 32 **** 1/2
The Who- Who's Next- 26 *****
Yes- Talk- 39 *****
Yes- The Yes Album- 27 *****
Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Rust Never Sleeps- 38 ****
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe- 31 ****
ZZ Top- Tres Hombres- 28 ****

*- Poor
**- Good
***- Very Good
****- Excellent
*****- Classic, indispensable

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:53:26 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1001 on: April 13, 2023, 05:42:51 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Dire Straits- Love Over Gold- 1982 **** 1/2

Dire Straits made two absolutely fabulous albums during their career.  Making Movies, which I have previously covered, and today's choice Love Over Gold.  Interestingly Love Over Gold was the band's least commerically successful LP.  It was understandable, in the fact that Knopfler chose a much different route over other efforts.  This album by its nature and creation had no intent of creating a hit, and mostly this is a spectacular example of an artist basically creating musical work that was hook-free. 

What Mark Knopfler did do, was create some of the most beautiful rock made in the late 1970's and early 1980's.  This is maybe the most keyboard angled of all their work, and did they ever work it in a spectacular fashion.  When you hear Knopfler play, it is done in the blues manner, but is not the blues.  Knopfler's guitar is as unique and recognizable as Hendrix, or EVH, just on its own merit.  Smoothly, bluezy, but with such a jazz like improv inclination.  Listening to this album and Making Movies are an immersive experience.  Knopfler's supporting cast, though pretty much anonymous augments in like quicksand around an stationary object.

The tone of the album is more sorrowful and introspect than other works too.  And thus maybe one of the most apt album titles ever.  This truly is the love of the music and the craft over any cash commerical award.  And what makes the album so special is how different every song mostly is from the last.  You are seeing the full songwriting and performance spectrum of a rock great.  I do have to admit that in some ways Making Movies is a more enjoyable relaxing listen, but I still have to give the nod to this one technical greatness.

Fun Fact:  Only Dire Straits studio album of their 6 that did not reach platinum status in the U.S.

Side 1-
-------------

Telegraph Road-  Jaw Droppingly beautiful 15 minute voyage into the crevaces of Knopfler's creative songwriting.  I can not think of any other song in DS's career that Knoplers so soulfully innotated his 6 string skills.  I have often said that no one made their ax more like an addtional vocal than Knopfler, and with this and well intertwined keyboard this is a unabashed  unheralded classic.  Lyrically, so sad, and wonder how much he showed his emotions in his work.  And the guitar work at the end.  Just wow. - 1

Private Investigations-  Mark dusts off the Ovation in a perfectly constructed Spanish Guitar styling narrative like song.  This isn't rap folks.  But it is perfectly chorded with soulful inward progressions.  Again, it is like he transfers his intense emotions onto the frets with masterful and powerful intent.  You can see why this did not have huge appeal.  It was art, not arena rock and roll stuff. 3

Side 2-
------------

Industrial Disease-  Maybe the most commerical of a very un-commerical  like LP.  A lot of tongue in cheek humor interplay with hammond like keyboard, and of course, standard great guitar work.  I am sure Knopfler meant more than just a bad day at the factory when writing this song, though there may be some underlying economic/political  ills that many of us were witnessing and seeing in the early 1980's  5

Love Over Gold- Title track has some similarity in tenor and tone, of side 1.  Again nicely constructed, but minus some of the heart. I sensed a few missed opportunities here.  Still good tune.  4

It Never Rains- In what has bee  mostly a depressing meter, last song on the LP is much more musically upbeat, though lyrically and contrastingly more darker in intent.  Some of the best  traditonal songwriting, and a bit of style that was much more evident on Making Movies or Comminque.  Fantastic ending number, and nice reminder that you sure got your money's worth on this one.  2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-FFdiWxzWs

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 01:00:52 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1002 on: April 16, 2023, 01:10:53 am »
True comment on the opening riff.  Maybe only "Smoke On the Water" might be more well known.

Did you hear the same rumours back in the early '70's that  a lot of the flop was due to fan reaction and rebellion against Clapton for disbanding Creme?
You are both right and wrong. The opening riff for SOTW is about as well-known as the one from Layla, but it is a bass guitar riff. Whatever.
I don't know that much about the background behind the failure of the song other than it didn't immediately climb the charts, and  Clapton went into a funk for a few years.
I was not then and am not now a big Cream or Clapton fan. I just liked Layla and Clapton's guitar work in general. It actually took me a decade later after I bought the Disraeli Gears album to like some of the tracks on the album. My head just wasn't there at the time. Like a lot of other music that I now like.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1003 on: April 16, 2023, 01:22:20 am »
You are both right and wrong. The opening riff for SOTW is about as well-known as the one from Layla, but it is a bass guitar riff.

???

Looks like Blackmore to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHEdkL1VoM

Online libertybele

« Reply #1004 on: April 16, 2023, 01:22:55 am »
Willie is in a category all his own, imho, @catfish1957 . I listen to c & w and most music except rap or opera.* Willie is a great lyricist. Although his voice isn't conventional by any means, it's pretty interesting and good to listen to.

I went to a Farm Aid concert that he sponsored that featured artists from a large spectrum of genres. Willie played along with every one of them. It was a 12 hour event and he put Jerry Lewis on his telethons to shame as far as keeping up,lol. I don't know if you have ever seen a picture of his guitar, but there is a hole worn in it.

*I'm not real good on heavy metal or a lot of the bands from the 80s...Rush, Yes, The Cars. I may like a song or two. My brother, the musician in our family, loves those groups. I'm sure I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate the complexity of their music. But I still enjoy the reviews!

Agreed.  Willie is in a category of his own.  I have seen him at least 4 times. The last time I saw him, he was still good, but starting to struggle because of age and his illness; but Willie still came shining through. His voice and style are absolutely, undoubtedly unique.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1005 on: April 16, 2023, 01:29:04 am »
A quick updated listing of reviews.  If anyone has one that they'd like to add, let me know, or please feel free to participate with your own review, and add as you like.

Update

Index of Record Reviews-  Band-Album-Page No. on thread (from Maj. Bill and Catfish)
========================================

*- Poor
**- Good
***- Very Good
****- Excellent
*****- Classic, indispensable

Giving the Moody Blues only ****?  They are in a category all their own with a combination of blues, rock, ballads, and orchestra and their harmonizing and vocals are incredible.  I rate them *****   Indispensable.  There is just no other group/band like them.  None.  I've seen them several times and their concerts (especially in the early years) were absolutely incredible.  Just my opinion.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1006 on: April 16, 2023, 01:55:46 am »
Giving the Moody Blues only ****?  They are in a category all their own with a combination of blues, rock, ballads, and orchestra and their harmonizing and vocals are incredible.  I rate them *****   Indispensable.  There is just no other group/band like them.  None.  I've seen them several times and their concerts (especially in the early years) were absolutely incredible.  Just my opinion.

Actually was 4 1/2 stars for both.  I rated 1st and 7th albums pretty equally based on again....  opinion.   That's pretty high considering some of the others I've reviewed.    I share your high regard for this band, and prog would be much different without their contributions.   Sounds like you might be able to some reviews...  please participate.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1007 on: April 16, 2023, 05:34:28 am »
Big Country (no page number given) .... gets a 5* rating from me (mainly due to not being able to rate it higher). Would love to read the review if someone pings me with a page number.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1008 on: April 16, 2023, 05:58:26 am »
Big Country (no page number given) .... gets a 5* rating from me (mainly due to not being able to rate it higher). Would love to read the review if someone pings me with a page number.

Page 39 (Reply 971)

Sorry I left it off.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,458127.950.html

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1009 on: April 17, 2023, 01:07:23 am »
Page 39 (Reply 971)

Sorry I left it off.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,458127.950.html

Thank you Sir :beer:

You have the song Chance ranked your favorite and in concert it is one of my favorites too. The crowd just has a great time singing with the band with it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 01:54:27 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1010 on: April 17, 2023, 07:46:48 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin II (1969) *****

Part of the fun of doing these reviews, is taking the time and in one setting listening to these in a pristine focused manner.  Which is counter to normally what you would encounter on a Pandora Station, or Spotify, Classic Rock Station, or other pre-packaged manner of listening.  I have literally listened to this album 100's of times in my life, and it never grows old.  As ground breaking as the first Zep album was, I always felt that I was configured by Page to lure his Yardbirds fans into the snare.  It was so bluesy, though spectacular, and there was no doubt Rock and Roll history was made, and it was the band/album that offically knocked the Beatles off the throne.

II, OTOH, redefined hard rock, but had so much of a well entrinched and enough blues to appease the older fans.  To me this album is as fresh and powerful as it was the first time I heard it soon after its release.  There is good reason that the meme through the years for Led Zeppelin was Hammer of the Gods.  Not only is there no filler on the 1st 4 Zeppelin albums, all the stuff in them are utter and overwhelming  classics.   In production of Led Zeppelin II  we are watching Page work magic in transforming this band into rock iconic status,.... forever.   The 3 core muscians are legends.  Page and Bonham are easily on almost all top 5 all time in lists of excellence. And JPJ?  To me among the most underrated of all.   And in II, I feel that the overall chemistry and blending of all parties just works as good or better than 90% of all other Zep product.  This is clicking on a songwriting basis in the upteenth degree.

The fact that this is the 3rd album to review, and in order of favorite , behind IV, and III kind of drives home the fact few did it better than them.  This album even early on was wildly successful.  I seriously doubt many rock fans back in the day did not have this one their collection.   And with this success came some bravado.  I think the fold out of this LP, may have been one of the first out there.  And even to that, the center album art had a large golden Zeppelin hoisted above what appears to be the Pantheon.  That tooks some balls to make such claims.

But enough of the side stuff.  Enjoy 40 minutes of a rock classic.

Fun Fact: Kind of an oddity, but the 9 songs on the album were recorded  in 6 different studios.  (1) Olympic Studios- London, (2) Mirror Sound- Los Angeles, (3) Morgan Studios- London, (4) A & R Studios- New York, (5) Juggy Sound Studio- New York (6) Atlantic Studios- New York.  Apparently, in the rough and tough busy world of rock and roll, they had to record around touring. 

Side 1-
----------

Whole Lotta Love-  Earlier in this thread we had a good discussion about the most iconic opening guitar riffs in rock and roll history. Yeah, Layla and Smoke on the Water belong near the top, but Whole Lotta Love has to be. up there too.  From the opening Plant cough, this epic rocker jars the listener into reality, and shows the world that Led Zeppelin now is offically ruling the world of hard rock. Page showed so many new and innovative ways to get sounds from his Les Paul that were here and not heard from before.  From the down fret sliding, to the almost FX sounding guitar speaker bending fare?  The song eptimomized the  sexual experience, complete with an orgasmic guitar solo at the end.  No doubt this was rock and roll sexual innuendo at its epic best.   1

What is and What Should Never Be-  Don't be fooled by slower pace.  More Page wizardry, and and very interesting deep barrel sound blues/rocking mix that really works.  Might be one of the weakest songs on the LP, but it is like a sports All Star Game,  This would be a absoutel classic hit for another band. 8

The Lemon Song-  Talk about some innuendo.  Band can't hide it this time.  Some incredible JPJ bass work, and stealthy super difficult percussion work from Gonzo if you listen close enough.  This is  PG-13 stuff though and  I have vivid memories having to keep the volume down so my parents didn't hear. But you gotta confide, how many of us 13 year olds at the time thought about the Lemon squeezing.     :cool: 7

Thank You-  Easily in the top 3 of the most beautiful tunes Zeppelin ever made.  This is such a huge change of pace, and you are amazed that this band could turn this thing on a dime so spectacularly. Eery and chilling in its delivery,  and unlike almost anything else Led Zeppelin created- 4

Side 2-
----------------

Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid-  I am sorry, I know these are listed as two songs, but to me it is pure sacriliege on a radio basis NOT to play these in tandem.  Just wouldn't be prudent, they go together.   HB is a fabulous blues blasting solo fare.  Page at his best. At the "HEART"  "break" song interphase- LLM slaps you with down beat cymbal crashes and more really more standard type rock fare. Plant wails at his very best and this song screams CLASSIC.  2

Ramble On- Another lighter angled number that alternates with nicely done di-opposing  hard hooks. 6

Moby Dick- There are benchmark songs for certain instruments.  Moby Dick is  one of those for Drummers.  Much like Tom Sawyer, White Room, and My Generation.  Air Drummers, rejoice.    5

Bring it on Home- One of my all time favorite Zep Blues Numbers-  Page and the guys create a impeccable Mississippi Blues Delta blues sound complete with era correct  harmonica, and that Black  like innotation and slurring  that hallmarked the great blues guys of the '40s.  How Page then took the hook lines and transitioned them into a hard rocking classic is remarkable.   Zeppelin caught a lot of flack for plagerizing the blues stuff from that era.  I didn't see it that way.  To me, these were not really truly just covers.  They were a  variative tribute to the genre.  They took a good product, and made it better for the masses. 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4LnsuB9Ms

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1011 on: April 18, 2023, 05:53:00 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush- Hemispheres (1978) *****

Rush had maybe 4-5 albums that I prefered over Hemipshere, but a band with (IMO) about 10- 5 star LP's,  anyone of those 10 would be a fun choice to cover.   Today, I chose Hemispheres for the fact that this was undoubtedly the most agressively and difficult intense album they  made.  I always considered it a stylistic blend of Caress of Steel, Side 1 of 2112, and melodic view of Kings.    This is their most complex LP, and from what I read took a lot out them mentally, especially in composing the structural aspects of this installment of Cygnus.

This is the last album before what became known as Rush's heavy electronic era, which allowed Geddy a more signifcant role in Band direction.  At least in my case, this is more of an album less in aesthetic enjoyment, but more of one of admiration of the musical accumen.  This album and esepcially Cygnus and all 6 movements is rife in signature and time changes that flash by you spiraling fashion.  It almost it was like, hey not should we do it, but can we do it, and still corral it in what would infer a tangible musical product.  To the old timey Rush purist this was their last foray into long prolonged mythological themes that was their trademark in the 1970's. This truly was the end of the pure proggy era of the band.

In far as aspect as music, to me this is (was) Lifeson's apex as a musican and his contribution to Rush  Lavilla Strangiato is his signature piece,  and one of the great guitar works of all time.  Lerxt would be a legend in any other band that didn't have Geddy or Peart.  For percussion, this is as usual, techincally perfect, crisp, and near impossible to replicate.  Geddy Lee's in this album, and probably the subsequent 3 or 4 are at their strongest.  Once you get past about say....Permanent Waves, the strain thought slight starts becoming evidient. But make no doubt about this is band of the ages, and with Side 1 (Cygnus X-1 (subsequent)  , you get not only that level of complexity, but an aura of spacey-ness, mind bending and abrupt variability that makes this among the most unique full sides of Rush's catalog of work.  Of the 4 discernable piece of this LP, I rank it 2nd It moves and weaves like a 3 phased tapestry that in its chaos gels into a musical mosiac.

Side 2, in the spirit of 2112 is more traditonal Rush, and just as spectacular.  Circumstance is majestic, with legendary Peart fills, and chordal progressions that feed the lyrically genius of Peart and his message of personal retrospection is inspiring. All 3 on this one click so well  3. Rush made very few overtly political songs, but with Trees they pulled off a such an  intentional allegorical musical directive, that was not only crazily noticiable, it was very pointed viewpoint about how their native land Canada was treated and dealt with on the world stage. Yeah, this is No. 4, but no less a Rush classic.  And with LaVilla Strangiato, you get every Rush fan's favorite instrumental.  As I mentioned earlier, this Alex Lifeson's masterpiece.  But it can not be under-reported that this also contains some of the most revered Neil Peart drum work too. Chaotic, majestic and brash.....  This is Rush at its greatest.  1

Fun Fact: According to Lifeson Lavilla Strangiato was inspired or based on strange dreams and nightmares. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_QTiXQrkt0

Offline berdie

« Reply #1012 on: April 18, 2023, 08:20:31 pm »
If I may, I'd like to comment on three.

Beach Boys never flicked my bic...but I can't deny their artistic talent and the impact they had on the music industry. The harmonies were excellent and Dennis ? or was it Brian ?, as strange as he was...was very prescient about the industry. Also very respected. Myself, I liked a couple of their fluff numbers...Kokomo and Sail On Sailor, neither of which, I have read, they liked.

Big fan of Dire Straits. I really can't think of a single thing that they did that I don't like. Knopfler is such a great guit picker that I can recognize him without being told it's him (much like Clapton or Satriani). I read at one time that he has a dinosaur named after him. *chuckle*

I gotta whole lotta love for Zep. They were probably the stepping stone to a more fusion type music. That may not be the correct term...I guess I mean blues, rock and almost a heavy sound. As far as their sexual overtones, they were absolutely there. But look at the lyrics of today's lyrics. They were pretty out there, but today ...

I went to a Rush concert with my brother. Does that count? happy77

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #1013 on: April 18, 2023, 09:41:31 pm »
???

Looks like Blackmore to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHEdkL1VoM
You are correct, I was wrong. Never a Deep Purple fan and not a big fan of the song. Have a son in law who plays bass guitar and his wife said he could play SOTW on it. I misremembered the opening riff.
 When I replayed the song it's obvious it was a regular guitar. Apparently a lot of people (wrongly) believe the opening riff was played on bass. Oh well.
Next you're going to tell me that Milli Vanilli were fakers.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1014 on: April 18, 2023, 09:47:11 pm »
@catfish1957

My favorite Rush album is Vapor Trails.

I’d love to see you do a review on this?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1015 on: April 18, 2023, 10:03:08 pm »

I went to a Rush concert with my brother. Does that count? happy77

@berdie
You were blessed.  I regret only making the one I went to in '82 during the Moving Pictures Tour.  I kept putting it off, and then 2015, it's over, and 5 years later Peart's gone.

Alex, Geddy, and Neil were rare musicans who often were better live than in studio.  One particular song, Natural Science has at least two live versions that I consider better than the original. 

If you don't mind me asking, which tour (year) did you attend? 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1016 on: April 18, 2023, 10:11:46 pm »
You are correct, I was wrong. Never a Deep Purple fan and not a big fan of the song. Have a son in law who plays bass guitar and his wife said he could play SOTW on it. I misremembered the opening riff.
 When I replayed the song it's obvious it was a regular guitar. Apparently a lot of people (wrongly) believe the opening riff was played on bass. Oh well.
Next you're going to tell me that Milli Vanilli were fakers.
@goatprairie

Easy to confuse as it Blackmore played it in what seems to be in a lower register along the A/D/G strings.   Additonally, Strats have that lower hollow sound that the early metal heads, including EVH loved.

Offline berdie

« Reply #1017 on: April 18, 2023, 10:32:40 pm »
@berdie
You were blessed.  I regret only making the one I went to in '82 during the Moving Pictures Tour.  I kept putting it off, and then 2015, it's over, and 5 years later Peart's gone.

Alex, Geddy, and Neil were rare musicans who often were better live than in studio.  One particular song, Natural Science has at least two live versions that I consider better than the original. 

If you don't mind me asking, which tour (year) did you attend?

Well, you'll  laugh at me and I don't mind, but I'm one of those anal people that kept ticket stubs from every event I went to, even sporting events.. (Also, programs from musicals and if available, commemorative booklets at concerts). I can look at them and it brings back fond memories. So, it wasn't hard to look up.

It was the 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour. According to the stub. :laugh:

The last concert I went to was 6/7 years ago. It was Steve Winwood opening for Steely Dan. I just can't navigate the venues any more. :( The only group I didn't see live, that I would have liked to, was the Stones

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:37:31 pm by berdie »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1018 on: April 18, 2023, 11:45:49 pm »
@Gefn

Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush- Vapor Trails- 2002 ****

This is the great comback album, after the band took a hiatus after the tragic losses in Neil Peart's family.  And Mr Peart released a lot of pent up emotion, and it came out in a mix of retrospection on both sides of the emotional spectra.  VT contains what I feel is more prose than lyrical content, as there does seem to be more of the lyric/song mix than in most Rush efforts.  Not to say that this is mostly the theme of dispair. Well maybe 70/30.   I have heard or remember that a lot of what Peart channeled was what he felt during like a long long motorcycle trip to get away after his loss. 

Stylistically VT is less prog than most Rush albums, and I hadn't realized that this is actually the first album by Rush since Caress of Steel (1975) that incredibly did not have any keyboard inclusion.  I knew and felt that this was a strange move, and with that, it makes all the sense in the world.   I do know that their Feedback album of covers was done fairly close to the same time, and maybe it was just the feel or mood at the time.  On the instruments, the guys are at their normal sterling best.  I can see some drop off in Geddy's vocalizations, which I think may be a function of the layoff rather than age.  He does sound stronger on the final two LP's.

I have not made any secrets that this is my favorite band, but even in this case, there is an uneveness of a few songs that though I would not characterize as filler, but more of the evidence of the band not totally knocking the dust of their creative chops.  This is an album with more balladry, more hard rocking, almost even metal like product.  It is an excellent album, which for Rush terms is fair, to middling.  Even a medicore Rush might be a classic for another.  The bar is set that high. The album does contain my favorite latter day tune.  Out of  the Cradle. More on that later.

Fun Fact: This is the only studio product by Rush for entire period between 1997-2004. 

Track
----------

1- One Little Victory-  Rush extracts an almost '70's like feel in this hard rocking.  Peart's wearing his heart on his sleeve early and often.  Kind of has that Live One Day at Time colloquial feel to the lyrics.  Very good and solid rocking song, that has some speed metal moments too.   3

2- Ceiling Unlimited- Very nicely layered filler parts, that is accenuated with some really complex drumming.  Through two songs, its seems Lee has toned down the bass a few decibles.  I don't know if Alex was getting feeling he was getting squeezed as was kind of the perception in their synth late '80's era, but Lifeson did some nice solo work on the entire album.  4

3. Ghost Rider- Song and subsquent book that supposed documented his post trauma trip on his motorcycle that was supposed be like 10-15K miles.  I know the story, but from a song writing effort, not one of the band's best efforts.  I feel for the guy, but maybe the theme was little over used.  9

4. Peaceable Kingdom-  Peart often focused on the philosphical aspect of human discourse.  More often than not, this normally isn't the best vehicle for Rush's best stuff.  Almost sounds like Rush wanted to cover Metallica on this one.  In any case, I like Proggy Rocking Rush over Preachy thudding Rush- 11

5. The Stars Look Down- Another one with kind of '70's feel.  12

6. How it is- Alternating rocking and ballad that has a nice upbeat feel musically that is countered with more dispair.  10

7. Vapor Trail- Very solid title track, Geddy when doing it does the bass chordal thing as well as anyone else. Voice dubbing sounds strange in production.  Way too grainy, adds minimally to the song. Or might even detract from it as far as my opinion. Alex does nice ax wail towards the end that sits with the sync drumming nicely  6

8- Secret Touch- Instrumetally some of the best of the LP, this had to be very tough to pull off,  I know I use the term chaos too much, but there are mid parts, that have that three man orchestraic feel to it. 7

9- Earthshine-  What a great song-  From Lerxt fuzz Gibson (gotta be that ES-355 Gibson) to Geddy's well and aptly shrilling on this one, there is no debate this is a Rush classic. Expansive Lifeson guitar is so rich full at times it almost songs like a stringed mellotron.  Fantastic. 2

10. Sweet Miracle- Sounds a lot like the rest of the album in meter.  Not one of their better songs. 13

11. Nocturne- Very strange but endearing smash up of several Rush styles, as you can hear the '70's themeing with a touch of jazz, and subset jamming that sound like songs within the songs.  Unlike most anyting else they did.  Ambivalent, but more than anything I think Peart intended this more of a lyrical mental allegorical theme of either madness or a wild mushroom trip. 5

12. Freeze Part IV of Fear- A musical direction, that though unique,  is pretty nonsensical as far as lyrics.  There are moments on this album that I feel that Peart thinks he is more of a Avante Garde' poet than a lyricist for one of the greatest rock bands.  He had a tough patch in his life, I think we and the rest of the world should give him a pass. 8

13. Out of the Cradle-  My favorite 2000's  Rush song.  This is a masterpiece of  songwriting that manages tempo changes in ways I can't explain.  The half measured bass ditty, while layered Lifeson power chordal strumming is truly spectacular feat of rock and roll.  Man did these guys ever save the best for last- 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-63ofNUnDE

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 02:58:09 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1019 on: April 19, 2023, 12:14:06 am »
@Gefn

Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush- Vapor Trails- 2002 ****

This is the great comback album, after the band took a hiatus after the tragic losses in Neil Peart's family.  And Mr Peart released a lot of pent up emotion, and it came out in a mix of retrospection on both sides of the emotional spectra.  VT contains what I feel is more prose than lyrical content, as there does seem to be more of the lyric/song mix than in most Rush efforts.  Not to say that this is mostly the theme of dispair. Well maybe 70/30.   I have heard or remember that a lot of what Peart channeled was what he felt during like a long long motorcycle trip to get away after his loss. 

Stylistically VT is less prog than most Rush albums, and I hadn't realized that this is actually the first album by Rush since Caress of Steel (1975) that incredibly did not have any keyboard inclusion.  I knew and felt that this was a strange move, and with that, it makes all the sense in the world.   I do know that their Feedback album of covers was done fairly close to the same time, and maybe it was just the feel or mood at the time.  On the instruments, the guys are at their normal sterling best.  I can see some drop off in Geddy's vocalizations, which I think may be a function of the layoff rather than age.  He does sound stronger on the final two LP's.

I have not made any secrets that this is my favorite band, but even in this case, there is an uneveness of a few songs that though I would not characterize as filler, but more of the evidence of the band not totally knocking the dust of their creative chops.  This is an album with more balladry, more hard rocking, almost even metal like product.  It is an excellent album, which for Rush terms is fair, to middling.  Even a medicore Rush might be a classic for another.  The bar is set that high. The album does contain my favorite latter day tune.  Rock the Cradle. More on that later.

Fun Fact: This is the only studio product by Rush for entire period between 1997-2004. 

Track
----------

1- One Little Victory-  Rush extracts an almost '70's like feel in this hard rocking.  Peart's wearing his heart on his sleeve early and often.  Kind of has that Live One Day at Time colloquial feel to the lyrics.  Very good and solid rocking song, that has some speed metal moments too.   3

2- Ceiling Unlimited- Very nicely layered filler parts, that is accenuated with some really complex drumming.  Through two songs, its seems Lee has toned down the bass a few decibles.  I don't know if Alex was getting feeling he was getting squeezed as was kind of the perception in their synth late '80's era, but Lifeson did some nice solo work on the entire album.  4

3. Ghost Rider- Song and subsquent book that supposed documented his post trauma trip on his motorcycle that was supposed be like 10-15K miles.  I know the story, but from a song writing effort, not one of the band's best efforts.  I feel for the guy, but maybe the theme was little over used.  9

4. Peaceable Kingdom-  Peart often focused on the philosphical aspect of human discourse.  More often than not, this normally isn't the best vehicle for Rush's best stuff.  Almost sounds like Rush wanted to cover Metallica on this one.  In any case, I like Proggy Rocking Rush over Preachy thudding Rush- 11

5. The Stars Look Down- Another one with kind of '70's feel.  12

6. How it is- Alternating rocking and ballad that has a nice upbeat feel musically that is countered with more dispair.  10

7. Vapor Trail- Very solid title track, Geddy when doing it does the bass chordal thing as well as anyone else. Voice dubbing sounds strange in production.  Way too grainy, adds minimally to the song. Or might even detract from it as far as my opinion. Alex does nice ax wail towards the end that sits with the sync drumming nicely  6

8- Secret Touch- Instrumetally some of the best of the LP, this had to be very tough to pull off,  I know I use the term chaos too much, but there are mid parts, that have that three man orchestraic feel to it. 7

9- Earthshine-  What a great song-  From Lerxt fuzz Gibson (gotta be that ES-355 Gibson) to Geddy's well and aptly shrilling on this one, there is no debate this is a Rush classic. Expansive Lifeson guitar is so rich full at times it almost songs like a stringed mellotron.  Fantastic. 2

10. Sweet Miracle- Sounds a lot like the rest of the album in meter.  Not one of their better songs. 13

11. Nocturne- Very strange but endearing smash up of several Rush styles, as you can hear the '70's themeing with a touch of jazz, and subset jamming that sound like songs within the songs.  Unlike most anyting else they did.  Ambivalent, but more than anything I think Peart intended this more of a lyrical mental allegorical theme of either madness or a wild mushroom trip. 5

12. Freeze Part IV of Fear- A musical direction, that though unique,  is pretty nonsensical as far as lyrics.  There are moments on this album that I feel that Peart thinks he is more of a Avante Garde' poet than a lyricist for one of the greatest rock bands.  He had a tough patch in his life, I think we and the rest of the world should give him a pass. 8

13. Out of the Cradle-  My favorite 2000's  Rush song.  This is a masterpiece of  songwriting that mamages tempo changes in ways I can't explain.  The half measured bass ditty, while layered Lifeson power chordal strumming is truly spectacular feat of rock and roll.  Mand did these guys ever save the best for last- 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-63ofNUnDE

Thank you so much @catfish1957

I really liked this album. Like I said it’s my favorite Rush album.

:bighug: :word:

(We don’t have a thank you emoji)
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1020 on: April 19, 2023, 01:45:26 am »

Thank you so much @catfish1957

I really liked this album. Like I said it’s my favorite Rush album.

:bighug: :word:

(We don’t have a thank you emoji)

Your welcome. 

If you like the later era of Rush, here are a  real sleeper favorites of mine is  Power Windows and Hold Your Fire from '87,.

Both are  among my top 5 all time of Rush tunes, and mostly un noticable even among fans.... 

Emotion Detector contains some of the most beautiful chordal progressions ever done in rock.  And the dual bass/lead solos are amazingly done in impeccable tandem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-VBypWkbY

and.....

Prime Mover.  One of the most moving, beautiful, and immersively melodic prog tunes every made.   These two highlight how great but obscure this aspect of their career became.

I have given thought to creating a post of band hidden gems, and in the case of Rush, these would be a couple. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n95r64HhLOQ

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1021 on: April 19, 2023, 02:06:51 am »
The Boston Mystery and Debate-  And I wonder maybe if someone has the answer.......

A number of decades ago a group of friends had a spirited discussion and almost argument on a technical aspect of one of Boston's most iconic hits....   Peace of Mind.

In the last minute of this tune, there is a 3 layered subsequent guitar run and chordal progression that is so perfectly attuned, timed, and innotated, we could not come to any consensus of how it was made.......

(1) Was this just Tom Scholz mixing wizardry.
(2) Was  there an uncredited guitarist besides Scholz and Goodreau participating?

My argument was this was in the analog era, and to get that level of finite perfection it was pure luck, or was a 1000 takes would have been near to impossible to mix.  Or was this ultimate masterful perfection of all 3, including an uncredited one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ42CLtr7Jg

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1022 on: April 24, 2023, 11:52:40 pm »
The Boston Mystery and Debate-  And I wonder maybe if someone has the answer.......

A number of decades ago a group of friends had a spirited discussion and almost argument on a technical aspect of one of Boston's most iconic hits....   Peace of Mind.

In the last minute of this tune, there is a 3 layered subsequent guitar run and chordal progression that is so perfectly attuned, timed, and innotated, we could not come to any consensus of how it was made.......

(1) Was this just Tom Scholz mixing wizardry.
(2) Was  there an uncredited guitarist besides Scholz and Goodreau participating?

My argument was this was in the analog era, and to get that level of finite perfection it was pure luck, or was a 1000 takes would have been near to impossible to mix.  Or was this ultimate masterful perfection of all 3, including an uncredited one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ42CLtr7Jg

I read somewhere this album was six years in the making. So, a thousand tries to get something 'right' may be the case.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1023 on: April 25, 2023, 10:40:46 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Kansas- Point of Know Return- (1977) ****

When I first reviewed Leftoverture, I think I remember mentioning that it was a near coin toss, between it and this followup companion masterpiece "Point of Know Return"  This album  contains the most famous Kansas tune, Dust in the Wind, and is overall is stylistically very very similar to its predecessor.   Both are fabulous American Prog Rock Creations, and many might say that these are the best two consecutive albums of American contribution to the genre.  Point of Know Return outside its commerical example .. Dust...   does have somewhat more of an abstract instrumental flare to it.  I think the prior success allowed for a tad more experimentation. OTOH,  I do think that experimentation  did hurt in future sales, as there was much more of an AOR audience than prog audience in the U.S. at the time.  These two albums made quad platinum, nothing before after even came close.  And that is not to say Kansas didn't great music outside these two.  They did, but just not to the level of consistence of these. 

The band kept a very tight knit line up during this era of greatness, and the mix and chemistry worked to perfection.  Though the arrangements are tad weaker on this LP, I feel they pulled off some amazing and innovate hook that exceed other albums.  The power chords at the climaxical end of Sparks of the Temptest are as bad ass as it gets.  In any case, Kansas doesn't cheat anyone on this one, and this great album is again one of those rarities that is  pretty much filler free.  If you want a solid blend of classical, prog, and down right good mid 1970's rock and roll, you will really like this one.

Fun fact: Album's Dust in the Wind contains the only Kansas song to chart in the Top 10. (Peaked at No. 6)

Side 1-
---------

Point of Know Return-  Rocking and rollicking, and a great bit radio friendly, band starts nicely with a syncopated based poignant song, that themed with human retrospection.  One that would reverb during the entire LP. Some of the bass line in the album too.  Excellent tune, and a great start. 3

Paradox- A tad less enjoyable, great musical gymnastics, and obvioulsy a little too much on the technical, and less focus on the listenabiity aspects.  Somes prog bands did these things just because they wanted to flex the musical chops.  All the greats did it.  And sometimes it worked better than others. 8

The Spider-  This instrumental suffers for the same reason as the preceding song.  No doubt technically brilliant, but meh. 9

Portrait (He Knew)- Nicely done dueling among the musicans, and a most effective use of lyrics, and a nice ode to Einstein.  Always thought it was a strange topic for a rock and roll song, but props anyway. Runaway solo-ing at the end by the entire band is some of the best jam on the album. 5

Closet Chronicles- I will honestly misinterpreted this song through the years, as it mostly meant generically just captains of industry, but found out that the song is actually written in tribute to Howard Hughes.  Like the earlier song, it was a portrayal of a nice mish mash of instrumental gazadry, and it  works nicley.  Maybe some of my confusion iof the song's intent was that  the band gives the song such a medevial feel at the end- 7

Side 2-
-----------

Lightning's Hand- This is the one that makes the old time fans happy.  Very much like a lot of their earlier work, with much a less a prog feel, but more straight forward rock and roll. 6

Dust in the Wind-  I think everyone of us college guys had our existentialist phase, and the song is a anthem for that bullshit.  I know this was the big hit, and I'll say it, and piss everyone off.  I got sick and tired of hearing on the radio.  Yes, I know it is constructed as a classic rock beautiful ballad style , but its overplay was awful.  And musically, the alternating set strumming was the stuff of like guys who sat on the stairs in Animal House.  Like Blutarsky, I wanted to bash the guitar in too.  10

Sparks of the Tempest-  Ahhhhh now the album starts cooking- Kansas didn't infuse much Moog, but I just love how this song flows, creeps up, builds, and slaps the listener with massively prophthetic lyrics that were 50 years too soon.  And as mentioned earlier, the ax power chords at the conclusion with weaving violin is awesome. 1

They mold you and shape you, so watch what you do
The sparks of the tempest are burnin' you through
Spreading like wildfire, fallin' like rain
Though they may promise, they only bring pain

Your future is managed, and your freedom's a joke
You don't know the difference as you put on the yoke
The less that you know the more you fall into place
A cog in the wheel, there is no soul in your face

Nobody's Home-  To me, this is the flip side of Dust in the Wind.  Ballad in majestic if content, but beautifully written and delivered.  Song is so melancholy, but powerful too. It seems the violin almost cries.  To me this is the most under-rated and under appreciated song in the entire Kansas catalog.  I know Livgren had one intent of the lyrics, I like to think of it as another.  2

Hopelessly Human- Fantastic finish to a great LP.  Songs begins in ballad form, but all hell breaks lose is some of the strongest inter-instrumental play on the album.  The bells at the end give goose bumps. What a great album.  4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LepSiqpC6hA

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1024 on: May 01, 2023, 07:30:36 pm »
Sadly we lost another Bachman Brother today of BTO.  Timothy Bachman- (1951-2023)

Props to accepting the role of rhthym guitar, and ceding the spotlights to his brothers.  He contributed a lot to their early sound.  Had forgotten he was only there for the 1st 2.  But of course, those first two were BTO's best.

My favorite BTO song, live from '73....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDsmJ7_gBg