Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 17927 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2024, 11:03:13 pm »
I'm from Pittsburgh. 'Nuff said. They will not get to the World Series in my lifetime. Thankfully, I'm old enough to have seen Clemente, Stargell, et al., in person.
If the Red Sox and Cubs can win in my lifetime... anything is possible.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2024, 10:42:23 pm »

Took 3 of 4! 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2024, 03:31:17 pm »
Great graphic, @DCPatriot!

Here's a graphic no team or fan would ever want, yet here we are.  8888crybaby

What the heck?????

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2024, 04:02:04 pm »
Great graphic, @DCPatriot!

Here's a graphic no team or fan would ever want, yet here we are.  8888crybaby

What the heck?????

That is what happens when the front office completely forgoes any pitching depth (esp. bullpen) during the previous off season.   Saw this coming, but not at this level.  A strong season by JV, Valdez,  just might get us to .500 by end of season.

OTOH, it was a fun run, and time for some other fans to enjoy
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2024, 06:38:33 pm »
That is what happens when the front office completely forgoes any pitching depth (esp. bullpen) during the previous off season.   Saw this coming, but not at this level.  A strong season by JV, Valdez,  just might get us to .500 by end of season.

OTOH, it was a fun run, and time for some other fans to enjoy

Middle relif is highly underrated.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2024, 02:24:41 am »
Here's a text I got from my son-in-law (a decades-long baseball fan who bleeds Dodger blue).

From the USA Today farm system rankings:

2) Houston Astros.... have not had a great farm system for quite some time now and perhaps that lack of attention to their lower levels is finally starting to take its toll... this team doesn't seem to have much going for it on the pitching side...

That "2" ranking is second-worst btw  😞

Isn't that what Jeff Luhnow was so good at? Was Dana Brown supposed to fill those shoes? What's Jim Crane's roll? Help me out, Astros fans. Who has let us down?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2024, 04:58:06 am »
Here's a text I got from my son-in-law (a decades-long baseball fan who bleeds Dodger blue).

From the USA Today farm system rankings:

2) Houston Astros.... have not had a great farm system for quite some time now and perhaps that lack of attention to their lower levels is finally starting to take its toll... this team doesn't seem to have much going for it on the pitching side...

That "2" ranking is second-worst btw  😞

Isn't that what Jeff Luhnow was so good at? Was Dana Brown supposed to fill those shoes? What's Jim Crane's roll? Help me out, Astros fans. Who has let us down?
I have written 1000 word posts at baseball forums of how unfairly Luhnow was blamed for the cheating scandal.  I still stand by that 100%.

What you are witnessing is the dynasty that he built has been torn down systematically by the likes of Crane, Bagwell, and Dusty Baker.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 12:50:47 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2024, 05:38:49 am »

What you are witnessing is the dynasty that he built has been torn down systeatically by the likes of Crane, Bagwell, and Dusty Baker.

@catfish1957

For what purpose?  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2024, 12:47:53 pm »
@catfish1957

For what purpose?  :shrug:

No purpose, just in the highly competitive world of MLB, competence reigns.  And Luhnow built the infrastructure of a team that competed at the highest level for 10 years.  We are now seeing the decline with post 2020 neglect. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 12:49:04 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2024, 06:22:16 pm »
I'm so old, I remember the disappointment, when the Buffalo Bisons of the International League had their road games on radio.  Must have been 7 or 8 years old!

Found out there was no 'booth'... the pitches/plays were sent to the studio on "Ticker Tape" and that the play-by-play guys were acting them out...emotion and all!    9999hair out0000

No different than today, not having FIOS or CABLE TV and getting the play-by-play on ESPN internet and pretending that you're broadcasting the game in real time.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2024, 07:18:01 pm »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2024, 10:06:23 pm »
No purpose, just in the highly competitive world of MLB, competence reigns.  And Luhnow built the infrastructure of a team that competed at the highest level for 10 years.  We are now seeing the decline with post 2020 neglect.

@catfish1957

Okay. Maybe I misunderstood your use of "systematically."