Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 39518 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #175 on: Today at 01:32:27 pm »
If the runner on second was called out for interference, then there can be no infield fly rule out following that!

The only thing I can think of...whether or not it is an automatic infield fly rule, a baserunner cannot come into physical contact or block the path of an infielder attempting to make a defensive play.

PS:  Hope the Orioles exceed the AL East Pennant or Wildcard race by more than 1 game.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #176 on: Today at 02:06:20 pm »
If the runner on second was called out for interference, then there can be no infield fly rule out following that!

Using the analogy of the timing of a  run scoring before an out in the field seems to provide a precedent.  Seems bat contact, subequent iF pop out at the plate would precede the runner interference event.   I was under the understanding that the rhubarb was over whether interference took place.

Surprised a replay wasn't invoked to at least consult the rule book.

Of course, I don't own a baseball rule book either, and have been surprised by some things I didn't know.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:09:54 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #177 on: Today at 02:19:27 pm »
MLB needs to get rid of the infield fly rule.  Recall the Sam Holbrook debacle from 2012.  Most of the umpires don't have enough sense to judge "ordinary effort" or the interaction of IFR with other rules.  A double play is not the end of the world. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #178 on: Today at 02:21:43 pm »
@Bigun   @catfish1957

Thought we were discussing the replay of the O's vs White Sox the other day...but last night, Juan Soto was called OUT for interfering with the Angels' SS on another infield fly...Boone was tossed for jawing with the umpires.

Seems that the runner (Soto) had to get back to 2nd base so that he wouldn't be "doubled off"...he even attempted to go BEHIND the infielder, but said infielder "misjudged" the fly and fell back into Soto...who was promptly called OUT!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40243281/yankees-rally-win-wonky-interference-call-1st
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #179 on: Today at 02:30:53 pm »
MLB needs to get rid of the infield fly rule.  Recall the Sam Holbrook debacle from 2012.  Most of the umpires don't have enough sense to judge "ordinary effort" or the interaction of IFR with other rules.  A double play is not the end of the world.

You make good points, but I can see infielders creating a defensive cottage industry out of decoying a catch, dropping the ball, and making snap DP's.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #180 on: Today at 02:34:55 pm »
You make good points, but I can see infielders creating a defensive cottage industry out of decoying a catch, dropping the ball, and making snap DP's.

That's OK with me if they are competent enough to pull it off.  Most of the rule changes seem to favor the offense, and this can occasionally shorten a game.  I would get rid of balks too.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:37:42 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #181 on: Today at 02:49:14 pm »
That's OK with me if they are competent enough to pull it off.  Most of the rule changes seem to favor the offense, and this can occasionally shorten a game.  I would get rid of balks too.

Interesting take.  Another pitcher cottage industry of a mid pitch  circular moves to first base that would pretty much kill the stolen base.
That sure would speed up the game.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #182 on: Today at 02:54:28 pm »

Surprised no one has commented on MLB consolidating records of MLB and the Negro leagues.

I sure support promoting those leagues of the '20's to '50's, because there were sure some great talents.  And the public needs to recognize them. 

OTOH, MLB AGAIN fails to realize that a huge amount of fan love, is the charm of the records.  I grew up with numbers like 714, 4191, etc.  ingrained into my baseball psyche.

Leave it to modern MLB to "F" that up

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #183 on: Today at 03:58:28 pm »
@Bigun   @catfish1957

Thought we were discussing the replay of the O's vs White Sox the other day...but last night, Juan Soto was called OUT for interfering with the Angels' SS on another infield fly...Boone was tossed for jawing with the umpires.

Seems that the runner (Soto) had to get back to 2nd base so that he wouldn't be "doubled off"...he even attempted to go BEHIND the infielder, but said infielder "misjudged" the fly and fell back into Soto...who was promptly called OUT!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40243281/yankees-rally-win-wonky-interference-call-1st

How in the hell can you make an interference call on a play in which the batter has already been called out and the ball is dead?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #184 on: Today at 04:07:18 pm »
Interesting take.  Another pitcher cottage industry of a mid pitch  circular moves to first base that would pretty much kill the stolen base.
That sure would speed up the game.

It would to some extent.  But the pitcher has to work around the timer and limited disengagements.  The timer is obvious, stepoffs are obvious, the throw over is obvious, and it seems like the umpires would have less to misjudge.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #185 on: Today at 04:27:36 pm »

Had she put her damned cell phone away, this probably would not have happened.

Not always. I have known this guy for at least 30 years. Super guy. He assured me that he was paying attention. He only lost sight of the ball for an instant.

https://deathattheballpark.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/a-personal-tragedy/
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck