Author Topic: Judge sentences men convicted of Arbery murder to life in prison  (Read 418 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Judge sentences men convicted of Arbery murder to life in prison
By Caroline Vakil - 01/07/22 03:19 PM EST

The three men convicted of murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man chased down and killed while jogging in their Georgia neighborhood in February 2020, were all sentenced to life in prison on Friday in a dramatic courtroom sentencing — two of them without the possibility of parole.

Travis McMichael, who fatally shot Arbery and was found guilty on nine charges including malice murder, and his father Gregory McMichael were both sentenced to life without parole.

William “Roddie” Bryan, who videotaped part of the incident, was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Judge Timothy Walmsley paused the courtroom for one minute as he remarked on the trial, a moment he acknowledged was theatrical but that he suggested was important to show how quickly the McMichaels and Bryan decided to chase down Arbery and kill him.

He noted it was just a fifth of the time — five minutes — that the men had chased after Arbery in pickup trucks. He called the incident chilling, and suggested he did not believe the McMichaels had shown remorse for the killing.

“As we understand it, [Arbery] left his home apparently to go for a run, and he ended up running for his life,” Walmsley said of the fatal shooting.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/588781-judge-hands-down-sentences-to-three-men-charged-in-connection-to
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mikezpen

Re: Judge sentences men convicted of Arbery murder to life in prison
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:25:47 pm »
I doubt if three blacks would have been sentenced that severely for killing a white. But, I have no sympathy for these three, either.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 11:54:04 pm »
I doubt if three blacks would have been sentenced that severely for killing a white.

@mikezpen
I am not a betting man,but I would be shocked if it did happen. Blacks now seem to have a license to kill whites.

But, I have no syzmpathy for these three, either.

I agree they were wrong,but I do have sympathy for them. If you have ever lived in a neighborhood where everything not nailed down got stolen,you might be better able to understand why a non-resident black man is even jogging through a mostly white neighborhood,and you would DEFINITELY be interested in WHY he stops jogging and goes into houses under construction.  I would say there is a 90+ percent chance he was looking for items to steal.

After all,why ELSE would he be doing it.

I have a friend that owns an independent local garage,and a month or so ago,someone tore down a part of his fence and stole maybe 20 grand worth of tools. One test machine alone cost him 10 grand to replace.

And "No,the chances of the thieves in this case being black are very slim because there are suspects",but they were still thieves and I have to admit that if he had been there and blown them away,and if I were on the jury,there is not one chance in hell of me voting to convict him of murder,or even manslaughter.

Stuff like that gets old quickly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:23:23 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 07:13:18 am »
This sentence seems to be a little much. I’m in no way defending what these three individuals did but life without the chance of parole?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 12:06:37 pm »
USA TODAY by N'dea Yancey-Bragg Raisa Habersham 1/7/2022

3 men sentenced to life in prison for Ahmaud Arbery's murder; parole denied for father, son

A judge sentenced three men to life in prison Friday for the murder of Ahmaud Arbery and denied the possibility of parole for two of the defendants, father and son Gregory and Travis McMichael.

However, Judge Timothy Walmsley granted the possibility of parole to William "Roddie" Bryan, the McMichaels' neighbor who joined the chase and took video of the killing. Bryan must serve at least 30 years in prison before becoming eligible.

"A young man with dreams was gunned down in this community," Walmsley said. "It was callous and it occurred ... because confrontation was being sought.”

Before the sentencing was read, Walmsley held a minute of silence to represent a fraction of the time Arbery was running before he was shot. He called the image of Travis McMichael aiming a shotgun at Arbery "absolutely chilling."

The judge also quoted the defendant's statements, saying their words gave context to the video and guided his sentencing decision. The minimum penalty required by law for the murder charges is a life sentence; Walmsley had to determine whether each defendant would have the possibility of parole.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/01/07/ahmaud-arbery-murder-sentencing-mcmichaels/9077430002/

Offline mikezpen

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 07:49:20 pm »
They took the life of someone who wasn't stealing a thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 09:11:47 pm »
They took the life of someone who wasn't stealing a thing.

@Mike Acker

Yeah,but most likely,only because there was nothing to steal.

Why ELSE would he be wandering around in a house under construction?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 09:52:54 pm »
Ahmaud Arbery was not "a jogger".

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 10:02:38 pm »

@Mike Acker

Yeah,but most likely,only because there was nothing to steal.

Why ELSE would he be wandering around in a house under construction?

I sure never thought my life was in danger when I wandered thru a house under construction. And No. Theft was not on my mind.

I did have a shotgun pulled on me once by a farmer for taking a shortcut thru his property.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:06:09 pm by Elderberry »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:33:05 pm »
I sure never thought my life was in danger when I wandered thru a house under construction. And No. Theft was not on my mind.

@Elderberry

Then why were you trespassing?

You wouldn't have such a Cavalier attitude towards theft if you did construction work and had something like a radial saw stolen while you were on lunch break,and lost more than weeks work in pay to replace it.

I did have a shotgun pulled on me once by a farmer for taking a shortcut thru his property.

I catch you or anyone else I don't know (and a few I do know) wandering around on my property you can bet your ass you will get a gun pulled on you. I have had literally thousands of dollars of mostly antique car parts stolen from my yard.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:35:56 pm by sneakypete »