Author Topic: With Venmo and CashApp Now Monitoring Transactions Over $600, Cash Will Become King Once Again  (Read 275 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
With Venmo and CashApp Now Monitoring Transactions Over $600, Cash Will Become King Once Again
By Jennifer Oliver O'Connell | Jan 06, 2022 4:30 PM ET

The Biden administration’s plans to get into your personal bank accounts and monitor transactions over $600.00 was slapped down with the demise (currently) of the Build Back Better agenda. So, just as with the vaccine mandates, the Biden administration is using corporations to do his dirty work. A line item inserted into the American Rescue Plan will now be the “back door” to finding out how Americans are spending their money.

Make no mistake: this is simply another ploy to target small business and weaponize the IRS against average Americans.

https://twitter.com/dreaminerryday/status/1478153882295492611

From the Daily Mail UK.

President Biden’s IRS is cracking down on payments made through third-party apps, requiring platforms like Venmo, PayPal and Cash App to report transactions if they exceed $600 in one year.

The new reporting requirement will ensure that small businesses that receive payments through those apps are paying their fair share in taxes on them.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2022, third-party payment processors were required to  report such transactions. Though businesses were always required to self-report such incomes to the IRS, many often did not keep record of their smaller transactions.

https://twitter.com/drewsullyg3/status/1478891374627934208

The new rule is only for goods and services transactions, not personal, such as paying a roommate for rent or reimbursing a friend. It also excludes anyone selling a personal item at a loss, such as a couch bought for $700 and sold for $650.

The cash apps will now be required to send the 1099-K form to businesses with electronic transactions greater than $600. The new change will apply for the 2022 tax season.

‘For the 2022 tax year, you should consider the amounts shown on your 1099-K when calculating gross receipts for your income tax return,’ PayPal warned on its website. ‘The IRS will be able to cross-reference both our report and yours.’

more
https://redstate.com/jenniferoo/2022/01/06/with-venmo-and-cashapp-now-monitoring-transactions-over-600-cash-will-become-king-once-again-n502802
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This maybe the end of TBR... 9999hair out0000
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

This maybe the end of TBR... 9999hair out0000

It shouldn't be.

It's only a reporting requirement; it doesn't automatically mean that all amounts are taxable.  To the extent that the deposits/contributions are reported to you or your name, you should be able to offset them with the expenses of running the forum.  Unless you're getting excess contributions hand-over-foot (which I don't think you are, unlike certain other forums that will not be named), it shouldn't be a big tax hit for you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
It shouldn't be.

It's only a reporting requirement; it doesn't automatically mean that all amounts are taxable.  To the extent that the deposits/contributions are reported to you or your name, you should be able to offset them with the expenses of running the forum.  Unless you're getting excess contributions hand-over-foot (which I don't think you are, unlike certain other forums that will not be named), it shouldn't be a big tax hit for you.

But I am not a *business*...I think that matters?...I would have to file as a business to offset my costs? Since I am not listed as a business on PP will I still get a 1099-K form? It's just a personal account.

Mike is already having fits  9999hair out0000

I only take in what I need for a year then I cut the thon off....
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

But I am not a *business*...I think that matters?...I would have to file as a business to offset my costs? Since I am not listed as a business on PP will I still get a 1099-K form? It's just a personal account.

Mike is already having fits  9999hair out0000

I only take in what I need for a year then I cut the thon off....

If it's not a business, then it would fall under the hobby rules.  Basically, under those rules, you would get to deduct your expenses to the extent of your income from the activity, but not more.  In other words, you cannot have a net operating loss from a hobby.

I would just keep track of all expenses - keep the receipts - and the donations you get, and at the end of the year, see if you get any 1099-Ks.  If you do, then consider whether it's worth itemizing your deductions (it's my understanding that one has to itemize deductions in order to deduct hobby-related expenses).  Otherwise, just treat it as a Schedule C business activity, report the income and the offsetting expenses, and the net profit would go to your 1040.  Treating it as a Schedule C business activity shouldn't require you to itemize your personal deductions.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
We don't itemize personal deductions anymore...We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.....F'king Democrats!
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

We don't itemize personal deductions anymore...We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.....F'king Democrats!

Well, to be perfectly honest, without having a 501(c)(3) or similar designation, the funds received are technically gross income, and go into the computation of taxable income.  The reporting requirement makes it more likely that receipt of these funds will be reported in a way that makes them more auditable without having to go to PP and get record specifically related to you.

If the expenses more or less equal the income, you're not running at a net loss, and therefore should be able to legitimately claim it as a Schedule C business activity.  If the net result is less than $400 of net income, there won't be any self-employment tax imposed, and that shouldn't massively increase your taxable income on your 1040.  Assuming $400 of additional net income, the additional income tax liability is likely to be approximately $80 or so for the year (that assumes a net effective rate of tax for you of 20%), plus possibly some additional state income tax.

Probably the simplest solution is to keep the -thon open a little longer each year in order to include something additional to cover the increased income tax.  Going for a 501(c)(3) ruling would be substantially more expensive, and would result in possibly substantially more, and more intrusive, tax compliance each year.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Well, to be perfectly honest, without having a 501(c)(3) or similar designation, the funds received are technically gross income, and go into the computation of taxable income.  The reporting requirement makes it more likely that receipt of these funds will be reported in a way that makes them more auditable without having to go to PP and get record specifically related to you.

That's what we did last year...PP did report it to the IRS but did not send us any forms...the tax liabiltiy wasn't much if I remember correctly.
Support the USO

Offline Kamaji

That's what we did last year...PP did report it to the IRS but did not send us any forms...the tax liabiltiy wasn't much if I remember correctly.

Then it's probably best to just keep doing what you did last year.  This new reporting obligation shouldn't significantly increase your tax liability.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Or more people move to crypto—though that has largely just become a speculative vessel, defeating the purpose it was intended to achieve.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024