Author Topic: McConnell cracks door to Electoral Count Act reform (Politico)  (Read 139 times)

Offline corbe

McConnell cracks door to Electoral Count Act reform (Politico)
« on: January 05, 2022, 10:19:47 pm »
McConnell cracks door to Electoral Count Act reform

By Burgess Everett - 5h ago

Mitch McConnell is signaling he's open to reforming the Electoral Count Act, one year after Senate and House Republicans objected to certification of President Joe Biden’s win ahead of an attempted insurrection.

Democrats are pursuing more sweeping election reforms and federalization of elections, but some lawmakers in both parties are also suggesting there may be more modest reforms that could pass on a bipartisan basis. The GOP leader said in a brief interview that he would be open to entertaining changes to the 1887 law, which allows members of Congress to dispute election results.

“It obviously has some flaws. And it is worth, I think, discussing,” McConnell said Wednesday.

Senate Democrats plan to hold votes on broader election reforms by Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer is threatening to change the Senate rules if McConnell leads another GOP filibuster. They want to pass anti-gerrymandering legislation, enshrine Election Day as a holiday and beef up early voting, though doing so would require Democratic Sens. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema to agree to weaken the filibuster to jam through that legislation on a party-line vote. Republicans almost uniformly oppose Democrats' proposals.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-cracks-door-to-electoral-count-act-reform/ar-AASsUcc?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Kamaji

Re: McConnell cracks door to Electoral Count Act reform (Politico)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 10:22:22 pm »
Well, that depends on how long the "discussing" will go on, and is contingent on there being no "passing the bill" after the "discussing".

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 10:23:41 pm »
By the time VOTER FRAUD is proven, it will be 2024. Typical, kick the can down the road.  I loathe China McConnell. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8a2g6tTp0&t=4s

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 11:14:17 pm »
Vote in person.
Show ID--verify identity.
Vote only once.
You have to be breathing (alive).
No more computer counts.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 11:22:26 pm »
Vote in person.
Show ID--verify identity.
Vote only once.
You have to be breathing (alive).
No more computer counts.

Add to that, for federal elections, the voter must be a citizen, and if s/he has a criminal record, voting rights must have been restored, and eligibility to vote must otherwise be established before the ballot will even be accepted, let alone counted (i.e., no more provisional ballots).

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 11:29:10 pm »
"Majority Leader Chuck Schumer is threatening to change the Senate rules if McConnell leads another GOP filibuster"...Whatever Chuckie wants Mitch will hand it to him.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.