Author Topic: EU Plan Declares Nuclear Power and Natural Gas ‘Green Energy’  (Read 565 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The European Commission has issued a draft recommendation including nuclear energy and natural gas on a list of investments that qualify as “green” energy.

The proposal allows investments in nuclear power plants to be classified as green until 2045 while natural gas investments can be considered green until at least 2030 if their carbon emissions are under a determined limit.
“Could this winter’s energy crisis be shocking Europe into climate realism?” the editors of the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) asked in astonishment Monday in reaction to the proposal.

“Someone please pass the smelling salts to the Sierra Club,” they added.

The draft recommendation still needs approval from EU governments and the European Parliament, and highlights fault lines dividing differing energy policies.

The German government registered its opposition to the plan Monday, a predictable move given it is in the midst of dismantling its entire nuclear energy program. Germany intends to decommission its remaining three nuclear power plants by the end of 2022 whereas France has taken the opposite tack, modernizing existing reactors and building new ones.

“This is that rarest of cases in climate policy where the politics aligns with energy reality,” declared the WSJ editorial. “If environmentalists mean what they say about the urgency of cutting CO2 emissions, nuclear is the only widely available power source that’s zero-emitting and more reliable than wind or solar.”

“In a world far from ready to wean itself off fossil fuels, natural gas stands out as much lower emitting than others,” the editors added. “The growth in natural gas to account for about one-third of United States electricity generation in 2019 helps explain the roughly 14% decline in gross CO2 emissions since the mid-2000s.”

The draft proposal has provoked consternation from more radical environmentalists, who object to any fossil fuels being included in programs of sustainability and who reject nuclear energy outright.

“Classifying investments in gas and nuclear power as sustainable contradicts the Green Deal,” said Ska Keller, the president of the Green group in the European Parliament, in reference to the energy initiative intended to make the EU carbon-neutral by 2050.

https://www.breitbart.com/environment/2022/01/04/eu-plan-declares-nuclear-power-natural-gas-green-energy/

Reality has set in apparently.

What I am curious about is the disparity between this and the fact that major banks have shied away from loans to oil companies.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 02:07:30 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: EU Plan Declares Nuclear Power and Natural Gas ‘Green Energy’
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 02:16:47 pm »
NG was a green fuel here in the U.S. a few years ago, until the left wing enviro-whackos declared war on all hydrocarbons.

We have out- whacko'ed the Europeans.   And that is saying a lot.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 02:21:08 pm »
When all else fails, change the definitions...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 02:44:18 pm »
When all else fails, change the definitions...
Next time they will change it to using di-lithium crystals for power.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 02:59:01 pm »
Next time they will change it to using di-lithium crystals for power.

Don't give AOC any ideas.....    :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 09:47:55 pm »
Don't give AOC any ideas.....    :silly:
Don't worry, if someone mentioned di-lithium to AOC she would assume it meant to double up on her lithium meds.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 09:52:19 pm »
Um, why is natural gas development a sin while lithium mining is saintly?

Lithium mining is an environmentally destructive process.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright