Author Topic: I-95: Drivers trapped for hours on Virginia interstate as temperatures dropped during the overnight  (Read 2213 times)

Offline roamer_1

I-95 isn't mountain country.  Things would have been different on I-64 west of Charlottesville or on I-81.

I-64 crosses the Blue Ridge at Afton Mountain which is notorious for heavy fog.  This has been the sight of some huge 50+ pileups over the years.  But people knew to get out of their cars and hike to the top.

Still, I am looking at woods on both sides of the road... Same pic up in here, there would be tarps and fires, pots on the boil, somebody making shine, maybe a live band and a dance floor by then.  :shrug: :whistle:

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

My normal bed time is about 10;00 PM.  I received a call about 11;30 at night, some kind of talk about roads, to be careful.  BOT CALL.  I wondered what that was about!  I am in Nevada.  It had no effect on me.

Oh, that "global warming".....

Offline Right_in_Virginia

000hehehehe

critical paige theory
@midwesterneur

where mayor pete at? still on maternity leave chestfeeding the children he purchased?

10:17 AM · Jan 4, 2022  Twitter for iPhone

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Second Look at Pete Buttigieg After Insane Tone-Deaf Kamala Harris Tweet in Midst of I-95 Crisis

Sister Toldjah  |  Jan 04, 2022  |  4:45 PM ET

Sadly, prominent liberals on Twitter are making themselves look more foolish than they normally do by blaming Gov.-Elect Glenn Youngkin, who hasn’t even taken office yet,....

@Hoodat

Not foolish at all. In fact,it's even clever because the people pushing this KNOW the typical Dim voter never really pays any attention to who is in charge,so they believe it without question.

AND.......,the media NEVER corrects them.

It all adds up to more votes for the Dims.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Typical Democrat.
Charlie Spiering
@charliespiering
Ralph Northam blames the drivers for getting on I-95, no apologies for obvious government failure.
“We gave warnings, and people need to pay attention to these warnings, and the less people that are on the highways when these storms hit, the better.”
8:50 AM · Jan 5, 2022

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/01/04/i-95-shutdown-virginia/
... “We’re trying to stay positive,” Colson said Tuesday after being stuck with her 63-year-old aunt, who has one lung and needs supplemental oxygen, a diabetic brother and her 13-year-old son. “But it feels like we’ve been abandoned. VDOT just left us stranded last night and didn’t try to do anything to get us out of this situation. They didn’t put in the effort.” ...

State Police and transportation officials took to the air to monitor progress because highway traffic cameras went dark amid power outages, Northam said. While expressing sympathy for stranded motorists, Northam said more should have heeded warnings to stay off the roads.

“We gave warnings, and people need to pay attention to these warnings, and the less people that are on the highways when these storms hit, the better,” he said. “I feel for these people that are stranded but just want to let them know we’re doing everything we can to get to them in a very challenging situation.”

But some motorists said they aren’t to blame for what they saw as government officials’ poor planning.

Ronni Schorr said Virginia officials were “not at all” prepared, and she didn’t see plows until Tuesday morning. She said her vehicle finally exited the highway after 14 hours, weaving around others stuck in the median, after a plow cleared an exit ramp on the other side of the highway. A tractor-trailer blocked the nearest exit ramp, she said. ...
A holiday weekend, and he's demanding that people not try to drive back home?

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

Ralph "Hitler" Northam:  The Virginian People have failed me, and deserve to perish!

Offline dfwgator

@Hoodat

Not foolish at all. In fact,it's even clever because the people pushing this KNOW the typical Dim voter never really pays any attention to who is in charge,so they believe it without question.

AND.......,the media NEVER corrects them.

It all adds up to more votes for the Dims.

Just look how they successfully made Nixon responsible for Vietnam, instead of LBJ.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Too bad America does not have an office such as Secretary of Transportation who could mobilize Federal manpower and resources to help people in this situation. Oh well? Maybe next term when Trump returns he will create such an office.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Too bad America does not have an office such as Secretary of Transportation who could mobilize Federal manpower and resources to help people in this situation. Oh well? Maybe next term when Trump returns he will create such an office.

Particularly when the interstate highway system is a federal project.  It's not like these people were stranded on some podunk two-lane state highway.

Secretary Pete Buttigieg
@SecretaryPete

This year, we're using the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to improve transportation across the country.

What kind of projects are you hoping to see in your community?

1:33 PM · Jan 4, 2022·Twitter Web App

Secretary Pete Buttigieg
@SecretaryPete

Thank you for these replies. It's clear Americans are ready for improved transportation in their communities. Now that we have the resources, I'm confident @USDOT will meet this moment.

5:52 PM · Jan 4, 2022·Twitter Web App

Pete Buttigieg
@PeteButtigieg

From our family to yours, Merry Christmas!

4:52 PM · Dec 25, 2021  Twitter for iPhone

Let's cut Buggigieg some slack.  From the output on his  Twitter accounts  pointing-up   (you're now up-to-date) he's struggling with a super full plate.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The idea of these two perverts around children is disgusting.
Taking bets on one or both of the kids become so called "trans".
If a boy, it will want to be a girl. If a girl, it will want to be a boy. (and that is an 'inspiration' to us all)
That is the environment they are born into.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Let's cut Buggigieg some slack.  From the output on his  Twitter accounts  pointing-up   (you're now up-to-date) he's struggling with a super full plate.

:silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just look how they successfully made Nixon responsible for Vietnam, instead of LBJ.

@dfwgator

Yup! Hard to counter the government when they have the media in their pockets.

Or maybe it is hard to counter the media when they have the goobermint in their pockets?

These things are sooo confusing!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The obvious question is "Who is at the front of this whole thing holding up progress?" There has to be some point where something is happening.

We just stayed home and watched it. The town cleared the streets pronto which is easy when you are a small town but there are streets in this town that I have to come down in low gear they are so steep. You have to plan for these events. They are saying 2 to 4" tomorrow but the county next to us is 4 to 8". I wonder how the storm knows where the line sits.
Countdown to Resignation

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Liberals slammed for blaming Virginia’s I-95 mess on Governor-elect Youngkin
https://nypost.com/2022/01/05/liberals-slammed-for-blaming-virginia-i-95-mess-on-youngkin/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Northam conjures up Jan. 6 when asked about slow response to I-95 motorists stranded in icy conditions
January 5, 2022 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

Democratic Virginia Governor Ralph Northam was quizzed on Tuesday about his slow response to deploy the National Guard to rescue stranded and freezing motorists on snowbound I-95 and proceeded to invoke the Jan. 6 riot on Capitol Hill to excuse himself.

WUSA9 reporter Mike Valerio tweeted: “4PM UPDATE – Virginia Gov. Northam just described the response to the January 6th Insurrection, saying it took a long time to deploy the National Guard, as a way of illustrating why his office says the Guard could not be deployed to I-95 on such short notice.”

He went on to add, “4PM UPDATE – Virginia Gov. Northam says still, no injuries on I-95, as thousands are trapped. Says State Troopers are walking up and down offering food, medicine, to people in need.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/01/05/northam-conjures-up-jan-6-when-asked-about-slow-response-to-i-95-motorists-stranded-in-icy-conditions-1184666/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Northam conjures up Jan. 6 when asked about slow response to I-95 motorists stranded in icy conditions
January 5, 2022 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://embed.air.tv/v1/iframe/uD6dIKZyRpOKORwt4shIuA?organization=LJ10S7THQdSjR0yQuzEugw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Democratic Virginia Governor Ralph Northam was quizzed on Tuesday about his slow response to deploy the National Guard to rescue stranded and freezing motorists on snowbound I-95 and proceeded to invoke the Jan. 6 riot on Capitol Hill to excuse himself.

WUSA9 reporter Mike Valerio tweeted: “4PM UPDATE – Virginia Gov. Northam just described the response to the January 6th Insurrection, saying it took a long time to deploy the National Guard, as a way of illustrating why his office says the Guard could not be deployed to I-95 on such short notice.”

He went on to add, “4PM UPDATE – Virginia Gov. Northam says still, no injuries on I-95, as thousands are trapped. Says State Troopers are walking up and down offering food, medicine, to people in need.”

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/01/05/northam-conjures-up-jan-6-when-asked-about-slow-response-to-i-95-motorists-stranded-in-icy-conditions-1184666/

What a weenie.

Offline LegalAmerican

The idea of these two perverts around children is disgusting.
Taking bets on one or both of the kids become so called "trans".
If a boy, it will want to be a girl. If a girl, it will want to be a boy. (and that is an 'inspiration' to us all)
That is the environment they are born into.

:bingo:
Not to mention being molested. 

Online mountaineer

Virginia Gov. Northam just described the response to the January 6th Insurrection, saying it took a long time to deploy the National Guard, as a way of illustrating why his office says the Guard could not be deployed to I-95 on such short notice.
I read elsewhere that the problem wasn't deploying NG, it was getting them to the highway. That's the whole problem, Gov. RalphKKK, you could have had 10,000 guys standing around ready to go without a bit of difficulty, but they couldn't go anywhere. Virginia didn't need soldiers, they needed the highway department to hit the roads and clear them. VaDOT - which is under Gov. RalphKKK - failed to do anything.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org