Author Topic: I-95: Drivers trapped for hours on Virginia interstate as temperatures dropped during the overnight  (Read 2237 times)

Offline EdinVA

I-95: Drivers trapped for hours on Virginia interstate as temperatures dropped during the overnight
Hundreds of drivers have been stranded on the I-95 in northern Virginia for hours Tuesday morning after the region was slammed with a major snowstorm—prompting some people to turn off their engines or even abandon their vehicles to look for shelter, according to a report.
WTOP reported that some drivers have been in their cars for over 15 hours.
"Some callers were sobbing and scared," Dave Dildine, a traffic reporter for the station, said. "Psychologically it is extremely distressing to be motionless on a highway for hours on end without knowing how much longer it will last."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/i-95-drivers-trapped-for-hours-on-virginia-interstate-as-temperatures-dropped-during-the-overnight

Yea, lets get those electric cars now...

Offline Kamaji

This is a good reason why one should always carry emergency supplies, including emergency blankets, in one's car when traveling during the winter.

Offline mountaineer

Glenn Youngkin Gets Blamed for I-95 Traffic Snarls As Actual Governor Ralph Northam Appears MIA
By Sister Toldjah | Jan 04, 2022 10:45 AM ET

Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram have been chock full of posts over the last 24 hours or so from understandably angry folks in the Virginia/D.C. area who have either been stuck for hours on I-95 in the middle of freezing temperatures and snow on the roads or who have family members and friends who are.  ...

As the frustrations mount and the insane clips and photos of what things look like continue to roll in, some have taken to the Twitter machine to blame Republican Glenn Youngkin, who I should point out is the Gov.-Elect and won’t be sworn in until January 15th. The blame was so predominant that as I write this, “Youngkin” is trending on Twitter.

For instance, Jonah Goldberg, who we have been reliably told is a truuuue conservative or something, said on Twitter that “If I was Glenn Youngkin I’d be flooding the zone to get this I-95 crap fixed. DC suburbs are vengeful about this kind of thing.”  ...

Meanwhile, it would appear that Northam is MIA as this crisis unfolds:
WTOP
@WTOP
As of 7:15 a.m., VDOT and Gov. Ralph Northam's office have not returned multiple requests from WTOP to provide an update on reopening efforts.
7:22 AM · Jan 4, 2022
... We eagerly await the mainstream media and leftists all rushing to ask “Where is Ralph?” like they did with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis last week even though he wasn’t actually missing, but we won’t hold our collective breath. Because narratives and stuff.
Red State

Idiots.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
If only we could predict the weather
Countdown to Resignation

Offline roamer_1

This is a good reason why one should always carry emergency supplies, including emergency blankets, in one's car when traveling during the winter.

I am in the far north and in the Rockies, where such things are life and death all the time.
Every fall my truck gets a 3-day kit with everything I need to survive the winter with nothing, by hand.
It has certainly saved my life twice, and likely two more times.

You will thank yourself when it is 10 below and your truck is stone cold dead, and you are sitting in a Colorado lean-to shelter in 70 degree heat with a full belly. DEFINITELY the way to go... And of the four times I speak of, three of them I walked out on my own in four days or less - Because help ain't gonna show up for at least three.

Being able to build a camp, survive comfortably while you build a polk, and maybe snowshoes, and have enough to walk out on (at least three more times setting camp) is surely the only answer,

Not only the tools - but the knowledge on how to use them.

Offline mountaineer

I wonder how many electric vehicles were stuck on I-95 for 11 hours or so.  :whistle:

Online DefiantMassRINO

Brings back memories of the Blizzard of '78 ... the worst passing flurry ever to hit eastern New England.

Lessons learned:

1.) Fill gas tank upon news of approaching snow storm (some cars run out of gas while stuck in traffic)

2.) Have blankets, water, and snacks in car.

3.) Have shovel, kitty litter (traction), and ice melt in the trunk.

The Blizzard of '78 occurred before Global Climate Change.  Was it caused by hairspray in the ozone hole over the Anarctic?  That was theory back then.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

Radical left blames Youngkin for I-95 mess, forgetting Northam is still in office

January 4, 2022

Richmond, VA — Travelers along I-95 in Virginia have been stranded for hours following a snowstorm that quickly impacted the east coast. A local NBC affiliate shared an image taken from one of their helicopters showing drivers stranded in their cars.

Drivers started responding to the message, sharing their stories and photos. Many reported being low on gas, out of gas, or having been stranded with kids and pets in the car.

Here are a few of their tweets and images:  .  .  .  .

.  .  .  .  As they shared their images, the replies were immediately rolling in from others on social media blaming Glenn Youngkin for the disaster.

The only problem? Youngkin has yet to take office. Beloved Democrat Ralph Northam is still in office and has neglected these people stranded on the interstate.  .  .  .

https://thelibertyloft.com/2022/01/04/radical-left-blames-youngkin-for-i-95-mess-forgetting-northam-is-still-in-office/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sen. Tim Kaine Stranded for Over 21 Hours on I-95 amid VA Snowstorm
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 06:45:48 pm »
Sen. Tim Kaine Stranded for Over 21 Hours on I-95 amid VA Snowstorm

Wendell Husebø 4 Jan 2022

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) on Tuesday has been stranded on I-95 in Virginia for over 21 hours due to a treacherous snowstorm that wreaked havoc on the region.

“I started my normal 2 hour drive to DC at 1pm yesterday,” Kaine tweeted around 8:30 AM. “19 hours later, I’m still not near the Capitol.”

“My office is in touch with @VaDOT to see how we can help other Virginians in this situation. Please stay safe everyone,” he added.

Around 10 a.m., a Bloomberg reporter tweeted confirmation the senator has been stranded for over 21 hours.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/weather/2022/01/04/sen-tim-kaine-stranded-for-over-21-hours-on-i-95-amid-va-snowstorm/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Sen. Tim Kaine Stranded for Over 21 Hours on I-95 amid VA Snowstorm
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 06:47:00 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Brings back memories of the Blizzard of '78 ... the worst passing flurry ever to hit eastern New England.

Lessons learned:

1.) Fill gas tank upon news of approaching snow storm (some cars run out of gas while stuck in traffic)

2.) Have blankets, water, and snacks in car.

3.) Have shovel, kitty litter (traction), and ice melt in the trunk.

The Blizzard of '78 occurred before Global Climate Change.  Was it caused by hairspray in the ozone hole over the Anarctic?  That was theory back then.
You mention kitty litter, but you can use oil dry (available at auto parts stores), too. Works best on ice.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Clueless libs rage at Glenn Youngkin for nightmare on snow-jammed VA hwy. But, there’s one problem
January 4, 2022 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/01/04/clueless-libs-rage-at-glenn-youngkin-for-nightmare-on-snow-jammed-va-hwy-but-theres-one-problem-1184222/
Support the USO

Online Smokin Joe

Well, they're Democrats.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Kitty litter makes a huge mess and I've never had luck with it.
Countdown to Resignation

Online Smokin Joe

Kitty litter makes a huge mess and I've never had luck with it.
I keep oil dry in windshield washer jugs that I let dry out. Screw the cap down and the jugs hold up pretty well--they're designed to hold up in cold, if you buy the -20 or -30 stuff.. Just unscrew the cap and sling some under the tire and sprinkle along your intended path of travel for a couple of feet, and a little on the back side so you can rock it if you have to. It won't make much difference unless you are on hard packed snow or ice.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Winter storm leaves passengers stuck on train for 30 hours
By Mychael Schnell - 01/04/22 02:26 PM EST

An Amtrak train en route to Washington, D.C., from Atlanta has been stuck on the track in Virginia for more than 30 hours because of a winter storm.

Amtrak’s Crescent Train 20 departed from Atlanta at around 2 a.m. on Monday for a roughly 14 hour trip to Washington, D.C., but was stopped while passing through Virginia because of the inclement weather, according to The Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Amtrak issued an update on Twitter early Tuesday morning at around 1:30 a.m. eastern time that said the train is “still currently stopped north of Lynchburg (LYH) due to ongoing weather conditions.” Amtrak said service would resume its trip to New York, the train's final destination, once the tracks are cleared.

https://twitter.com/AmtrakAlerts/status/1478250202108735491

more
https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/588204-winter-storm-leaves-passengers-stuck-on-train-for-30-hours
Support the USO

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mystery posted:
"An Amtrak train en route to Washington, D.C., from Atlanta has been stuck on the track in Virginia for more than 30 hours because of a winter storm.
Amtrak’s Crescent Train 20 departed from Atlanta at around 2 a.m. on Monday for a roughly 14 hour trip to Washington, D.C., but was stopped while passing through Virginia because of the inclement weather, according to The Atlanta Journal Constitution."

Wondering what happened that actually stopped them.
I believe the Crescent mostly runs on Norfolk Southern rails, although at some point it probably uses CSX to complete the trip to DC.

If signals went out, there are provisions in the rules so that a train can keep moving, even at "Restricted Speed" (which is about 15mph maximum) if the signal system isn't functioning.

Even switches can be cleaned out and thrown by hand at interlockings if the signal and control power goes down.

It takes A LOT of snow to stop a moving train. I've run through blizzards and snow blowing so hard you couldn't see 50 feet in front of the engine at 60mph. But even though you can't SEE where you are, you KNOW pretty much "where you are". That's what being an engineer is all about...

Offline libertybele

During the winter always keep extra blankets in the car along with water and some sort of food .... and though they tear up the road, chains on the tires do seem to work.

Sand works better than kitty litter.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

While they're busy blaming a guy who isn't the governor, how about this guy?
Larry O'Connor
@LarryOConnor
Do we have a Secretary of Transportation?
Asking for abandoned Virginians on I-95.
6:26 PM · Jan 4, 2022·
Or is he still on maternity leave?

Offline Hoodat

The best solution is to give every Marylander 30 days to move back to Maryland, and then blow up every bridge over the Potomac permanently.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

While they're busy blaming a guy who isn't the governor, how about this guy?Or is he still on maternity leave?

Still trying to breastfeed the twins?

Offline Hoodat

Second Look at Pete Buttigieg After Insane Tone-Deaf Kamala Harris Tweet in Midst of I-95 Crisis

Sister Toldjah  |  Jan 04, 2022  |  4:45 PM ET

I think it’s safe to say that most Republicans are not fans of failed 2020 Democratic presidential candidate turned Biden Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, and for good reasons. But after what another failed presidential candidate – VP Kamala Harris – tweeted out earlier today in the midst of the maddeningly frustrating I-95 traffic snarls, some might be willing to give him credit for at the very least not acting stupidly as the crisis unfolds.

At the same time, Democrats who have rejected the rumored possibility that President Biden might replace Harris with Buttigieg on the ticket in 2024 (assuming Joe runs again) might be taking a second look at the former South Bend, Indiana mayor as well after considering this along with the other tone-deaf stunts she’s pulled over the last year.

As we reported earlier, things are tense on a roughly 90 mile stretch of I-95 in Virginia as thousands are sitting in their cars on the interstate in the midst of freezing temperatures and snow and ice on the roads. Some, like Democrat Sen. Tim Kaine, have been stuck for over 24 hours now. Sadly, prominent liberals on Twitter are making themselves look more foolish than they normally do by blaming Gov.-Elect Glenn Youngkin, who hasn’t even taken office yet, while others are mocking conservatives simply for trying to help out stranded motorists.

In the middle of all of this, here’s what the woman Joe Biden was forced to pick as his vice-presidential running mate in the name of “wokeness” (and who RedState editor at large Kira Davis recently described as the “worst politician” she’d ever seen) tweeted out about infrastructure and “getting people moving”:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1478414924409888770

https://redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2022/01/04/second-look-at-pete-buttigieg-after-insane-tone-deaf-kamala-harris-tweet-in-midst-of-i-95-crisis-n501679

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Liberal Journalist Mocks Republicans Trying to Help People Trapped in Snow on I-95

Nick Arama  |  Jan 04, 2022  |  3:45 PM ET

We reported earlier on the bad situation in Virginia where people were stuck in the snow on I-95 for up to a day. Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) was still stuck after 19 hours, earlier this morning.

As we noted, some on the left tried to blame the situation on recently elected Republican Glenn Youngkin. But Youngkin isn’t even in office yet, so any government response that should have been done here is all on the current, Democrat Gov. Ralph “Blackface” Northam and he wasn’t doing a great job at it

https://twitter.com/WTOP/status/1478341008274382850

People stuck for hours were left to fend for themselves to figure out what to do. So, some were using social media to help each other. This is the best of America, when people respond in this fashion to help each other out.

https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1478382785597427714

Now you wouldn’t think that anyone could object to the people trying to help each other out in the middle of such a situation. But then, you wouldn’t know liberal journalist Jonathan Chait  .  .  .

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2022/01/04/liberal-journalist-mocks-republicans-trying-to-help-people-trapped-in-snow-on-i-95-n501638

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

*SMH* All them folks... In mountain country.... In WOODS... and not a single fire or thrown tarp. I don't get it.

It's plum crazy to me!

Offline Hoodat

*SMH* All them folks... In mountain country.... In WOODS... and not a single fire or thrown tarp. I don't get it.

It's plum crazy to me!

I-95 isn't mountain country.  Things would have been different on I-64 west of Charlottesville or on I-81.

I-64 crosses the Blue Ridge at Afton Mountain which is notorious for heavy fog.  This has been the sight of some huge 50+ pileups over the years.  But people knew to get out of their cars and hike to the top.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-